A Dash of Murder (A Betsy Livingston Mystery, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

A Dash of Murder (A Betsy Livingston Mystery #1)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A Mystery for Ghost Hunters!
When Betsy's Aunt Maggie wants to drag her along on a ghost hunting excursion at the local abandoned tuberculosis hospital she isn't sure she quite believes in spirits. When she comes upon a fresh spirit in the form of a body she starts to rethink about what is really haunting the hospital.

Betsy must solve the murder in spite of her father, who...more
ebook
Published 2011 by Teresa Trent

To ask other readers questions about A Dash of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dash of Murder

KyBunnies
I love reading a good mystery and this one did not let me down. The author will take readers on a trail with ghost, murder and a little romance. This book is a short fast read. Yet, the author created a book that will keep readers interested until the end. I did not figure out the villain until it was revealed in the book. Okay no more about that I do not want to write any spoilers.

Betsy is another female that has been let down by a male. She is not the average female. She actually makes a name...more
Kylie
Betsy and her son live in Pecan Bayou, a small town where everyone knows everyone. Her husband walked out on her 7 years previously while she was pregnant, and she is still not over it. Her father is the town cop, her aunt is a ghost hunter. A body is found, her former husband's business partner. The mystery begins.

This was a light read, that sounded good on the blurb, but fell short of expectations. The story line was quite thin. The plot had potential, but failed to deliver.

I finished it pure...more
TAMMY CUEVAS
Betsy Livingston, aka "The Happy Hinter", has agreed to help her Aunt Maggie on a ghost hunt at the old TB hospital. When Betsy stumbles upon the dead body of someone from her past, she knows she has to solve the murder.

This is the type of mystery novel I could read every day. It's a nice, "cozy" mystery, in spite of a bit of murder and a little strong language. The inclusion of the character of Danny, who has Down's Syndrome, is a very nice touch. This is a series I will be following happily.

5...more
Sarah Walker
This is a nice Nancy Drew for Texans. It has action. It has scenery. It has characters who talk to each other. It has a plot and a connective outline. It has murder. And angst and romance even...a tiny bit. It has everyday life and it looks like the beginning of a series. This is a pretty good book that I finished (which I won't do if I get bored). I enjoyed it.

What it's missing is suspense and tension and a hot kiss, even a stolen one. It's missing a high action satisfying end where the reader...more
Bette Jacobson
Johnson Tuberculosis Hospital is the center of this story. It is a derelict building that was built in 1911 by the town of Pecan Bayou, to care for people diagnosed with "consumption", as tuberculosis was then known. Once diagnosed the patient was required to stay for 3-5 years before they died or could be released. The Pecan Paranormal Society wants to film their attempt to reach the spirits of those who have passed on. When walking through the hospital they discover a body. Now, it's a crime s...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is a cute short quick read. A novella about a young woman, Betsy Livingston, who writes a weekly news column entitled the 'Happy Hinter.' Betsy loving her family, as she does, and so did I, agrees to join her favorite Auntie in a ghost hunting adventure for the local Access television station.

Quickly, it becomes clear that it is a good thing, Betsy's Father is Police Chief, when the first ghost of the evening adventure is found. Only...it is slightly more than a ghost.

This was a fun read. H...more
Gayle
Mindy
I love a good murder mystery. I love that this book has a hint of romance at the fringe but never goes into full blown romance. That hint just adds to the mystery and tension. And the story keeps you pulled in until the end. And when you find out that the murder is … You didn’t think I would really tell you, now did you? Let’s just say I wouldn’t have guessed it in a million years.

I give this story 4.5 out of 5 clouds.

This product or book may have been distributed for review; this in no way af...more
Karen M
I'm actually giving this cozy mystery a 3-1/2 stars. I liked it enough to go on and read the next book in the series but it had a short comings in this first book. I don't recall any real clue as to the identity of the killer but I have to say that's my only complaint. I like the characters and the fact it's set somewhere I've never been.

I look forward to reading the next book.
Neeka
If you want a really quick, light, enjoyable mystery to read - I would suggest this book. The writing was enjoyable and the characters were easy to like. The nook is rather short but the story is a fun read and the writing isn't horrid. This book held my attention and took me away from my life - I would recommend this book
Rebecca
Great little mystery. Easy characters to understand and like. Good plot twists. Nothing too complicated. Could have used a dose of romance with the dash of murder - perhaps in the next one. I would be interested in reading more in this series. A bit more editing would have refined it. Loved the hints and recipes in the back.
Lisa Godina
What happens when you mix paranormal investigation and murder... you get the book A Dash of Murder. It is a delightful and easy to read story with an interesting twist. I enjoyed this book with a cup of Caramel Mocha. My neice wants to try a couple of the recipes that the author so kindly includes with the book.
Deb Novack
This was a fun little cozy mystery/paranormal book. An amateur paranormal group is checking out the town;s old falling down hospital reputed to be haunted. When doing a walk through a dead body is discovered and the investigation ensues. If you want to discover all the details please read this book.
Kassandra Lamb
A great start to a new mystery series! I enjoyed this story very much, especially the characters--just quirky enough to be interesting but still believable. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Karen Musser
Okay plot but solution is out of the blue--no real clues leading up to it. I thought the characterization of her son was not well done--not a typical seven year old. Seemed like lots of disconnects.
Glenda
This is the first book of the Pecan Bayou mystery series. I enjoyed it. A lot of questions left unanswered. I will read the next book "Overdue for Murder".
Susan F
Good story overall. My one problem was I didn't see a clear 'hint' that directed me to the true criminal early in the book. Maybe I missed it. :)
Sandra
A nice cozy mystery I enjoyed very much.
ette
nice cozy mystery, super quick read
LaceyAnn C
LaceyAnn C marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Deanne Quarrie
Deanne Quarrie marked it as to-read
Dalene
Dalene marked it as to-read
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Kay Mcneill
Kay Mcneill marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Dcousinawyahoo.com
Dcousinawyahoo.com marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Robyn M. Nolen
Robyn M. Nolen marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Aeokie
Aeokie marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Out on a Limb: A Smoky Mountain Mystery
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • The Road to Mercy
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
  • Murder Half-Baked
  • Callie's Heart (Lasso Springs #1)
  • Armed and Outrageous
  • Collateral Damage: An Annie Ogden Mystery
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Dead End Job
  • Murder, Money & Marzipan (A Lexy Baker Bakery Mystery #3)
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • Death by Drowning (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #2)
  • Crooked Man
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
5219581
Teresa Trent writes hilarious cozy mysteries that take place in the small town of Pecan Bayou, Texas. She was first inspired to create Pecan Bayou after visiting the Texas Hill Country to view the millions of springtime flowers alongside the roads and highways. The town of Pecan Bayou does not exist in Texas, but there is a body of water in the state with the name. Pecan Bayou does exist in Teresa...more
More about Teresa Trent...
Overdue for Murder  (Pecan Bayou Series, #2) Burnout (Pecan Bayou Series #5) Buzzkill (Pecan Bayou Series #4) Doggone Dead (Pecan Bayou Series #3) The Christmas Find