Start by marking “Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ” as Want to Read:
Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ

Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
It's all about the scratch in Groove Music, award-winning music historian Mark Katz's groundbreaking book about the figure that defined hip-hop: the DJ.

Today hip-hop is a global phenomenon, and the sight and sound of DJs mixing and scratching is familiar in every corner of the world. But hip-hop was born in the streets of New York in the 1970s when a handful of teenagers
Published April 27th 2012 by Oxford University Press (first published March 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Groove Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groove Music

Amani
Dec 17, 2013 Amani rated it it was amazing
What a great historical review of the Hip Hop DJ. The wild part of this book is many of my DJ professors and mentors are mentioned at length. That was awesome. I wish I would have read this book sooner. There was so much happening in the scene as I was growing up and I was unaware. I need to go back over this book and review many sections more thoroughly, stopping to watch the Youtube videos to fully comprehend the stories. Highly recommend this for any DJ.
Toni
Mar 21, 2012 Toni rated it liked it
I didn't grow up in New York City and my first introduction to the art form was through Rapper's Delight (unfortunately), but hip-hop is my favorite music genre. I use it to lift my spirits when I'm depressed, and to make me feel powerful when I need a boost of confidence. I've also been known to actually tear up when I hear a good sample used in a particularly masterful way or an intricate scratching routine. Seriously.

So I was excited to read this new book by music historian, Mark Katz. He spe
David
Mar 26, 2014 David rated it really liked it
a specialist interest...
Chi Chi
May 29, 2012 Chi Chi rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on hip hop I've read, and far and away the best book on deejay culture I've come across. Katz covers a lot of ground, and manages to discuss the technical aspects of deejaying in a way that is easy to understand without dumbing things down.
Κατερίνα Σταματίου
Mark Katz uses both storytelling and description and succeeds in presenting the story of the hip hop Djing from its birthday till today by the most trustable way. The book is also of ethnomusilogical interest.
Joe Matson
Apr 20, 2013 Joe Matson rated it it was amazing
A terrific read from one of my favorite musicologists. My full review will appear in the American Music Research Journal in 2013.
Benjamin Martin
Benjamin Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Oskar Henno
Oskar Henno marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Natsuki Hi
Natsuki Hi marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jalyn Nettles
Jalyn Nettles marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Ethan Pabst
Ethan Pabst rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Sydney Hart
Sydney Hart rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Kyler
Kyler rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Michael Langaman
Michael Langaman marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Mimoh
Mimoh marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Julius Bailey
Julius Bailey rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
P
P marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
T K
T K rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Matej
Matej rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Saul Gonzalez
Saul Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015