Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ

Groove Music: The Art and Culture of the Hip-Hop DJ

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
It's all about the scratch in Groove Music, award-winning music historian Mark Katz's groundbreaking book about the figure that defined hip-hop: the DJ.

Today hip-hop is a global phenomenon, and the sight and sound of DJs mixing and scratching is familiar in every corner of the world. But hip-hop was born in the streets of New York in the 1970s when a handful of teenagers...more
Published April 27th 2012 by Oxford University Press (first published March 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Groove Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groove Music

Amani
What a great historical review of the Hip Hop DJ. The wild part of this book is many of my DJ professors and mentors are mentioned at length. That was awesome. I wish I would have read this book sooner. There was so much happening in the scene as I was growing up and I was unaware. I need to go back over this book and review many sections more thoroughly, stopping to watch the Youtube videos to fully comprehend the stories. Highly recommend this for any DJ.
Toni
I didn't grow up in New York City and my first introduction to the art form was through Rapper's Delight (unfortunately), but hip-hop is my favorite music genre. I use it to lift my spirits when I'm depressed, and to make me feel powerful when I need a boost of confidence. I've also been known to actually tear up when I hear a good sample used in a particularly masterful way or an intricate scratching routine. Seriously.

So I was excited to read this new book by music historian, Mark Katz. He spe...more
David
a specialist interest...
Chi Chi
One of the best books on hip hop I've read, and far and away the best book on deejay culture I've come across. Katz covers a lot of ground, and manages to discuss the technical aspects of deejaying in a way that is easy to understand without dumbing things down.
Κατερίνα Σταματίου
Mark Katz uses both storytelling and description and succeeds in presenting the story of the hip hop Djing from its birthday till today by the most trustable way. The book is also of ethnomusilogical interest.
Joe Matson
A terrific read from one of my favorite musicologists. My full review will appear in the American Music Research Journal in 2013.
Andrea Wooten
Andrea Wooten marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Campbell Matthew
Campbell Matthew is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Whitney Goldeen
Whitney Goldeen marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Chris Edmonds
Chris Edmonds is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Feiz Najmi
Feiz Najmi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Mike Holmes
Mike Holmes marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Mark Richardson
Mark Richardson marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Pete L
Pete L marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Kariann
Kariann marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
L
L marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Martin Homent
Martin Homent marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jarryn
Jarryn added it
May 24, 2014
Capturing Sound: How Technology Has Changed Music Clinton & Me: A Real Life Political Comedy On Playing a Poor Hand Well: Insights from the Lives of Those Who Have Overcome Childhood Risks and Adversities Witness to an Era: The Life and Photographs of Alexander Gardner Prevent Dog Problems