Start by marking “Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)

Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,586 Ratings  ·  2,380 Reviews
Als Isobel bei einem Schulprojekt dem Außenseiter Varen zugewiesen wird, weiß sie noch nicht, dass das ihr ganzes Leben auf den Kopf stellt. Überraschenderweise versteht sie sich nicht nur gut mit ihm, sie scheint sich sogar in ihn zu verlieben. Doch je mehr Zeit sie mit ihm verbringt, desto mehr wird sie in den Bann der geheimnisvollen Traumwelt gezogen, die Varen sich ge ...more
Klappenbroschur, 560 pages
Published January 2012 by Loewe (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nevermore, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marshanah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Samantha McLaughlin Yes! Nevermore is a trilogy. The order of the books are: Nevermore, Enshadowed, and Oblivion, which was just released on July 28th. :)

Kelly
Jan 13, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book thinking the entire time how much I would have enjoyed reading something like it when I was a teen. And that's the best way I know how to write because then, the rest just follows.
Janina
It's been a while since a YA paranormal truly blew me away. But this book did. It actually made me stay up until 3 a.m. although I had to get up at seven the next morning (and yes, I regretted this afterwards).

Despite the praise it got from a lot of friends here on GoodReads, I tried to keep my expectations low before starting it. Books in this genre have disappointed me many times before. After reading Evermore, Evernight, Beautiful Creatures, Marked and the like, I’ve become careful and a bit
Kim
Sep 08, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is difficult to write because I usually don't have that much to say about books I love. It's mostly facial expressions, gestures and noises when I try to explain why I like something. Oh and it will look like this was written by a 17-year old, not a 27-year old. And I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I even wish I could write this review in purple ink, that's how much I'm into this book. And Varen.

If I ever had to describe the kind of guy I desperately want then I think Varen
Limonessa
They say not to judge a book by its cover. That appearances are deceitful.

I say this time you should not judge the book by how it starts off. At first, it very much looks like your garden-variety paranormal YA: jocks, cheerleaders, cliques, mean girls, emo-goths, star crossed lovers, you get the gist. There were a couple of scenes at the beginning where I thought I was probably going to ditch it if it went on like it was.
But it didn't.
First of all, you should be aware that underneath the shallo
Kristi
I loved this book.

I wanted to love this book, but I was a little apprehensive. I mean... the goth boy and the cheerleader. Haven't I read this story before.... No, Kristi, you have not read a story quite like this one before.

In addition to loving the pages in this book I also love this cover. I wish that B&N hadn't had a little hissy fit and the publisher would have been able to keep Varen's lip ring.... it was so much hotter with the lip ring. But I still love the cover regardless.

The char
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
Mar 10, 2016 Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) by: Laura

Omg this book...it was beyond words spectacular and out of this world amazing. I don't know why I've never read this one before, but for my vacation it has been PERFECT-mesmerizing. Sitting on the beach (even at this moment), not knowing the difference between dream and reality...just breathtaking. Creepy, deep, and addicting, I am officially hooked. This series will consume my whole time in Florida lol.

And Varen...just ugh. What an interesting, complex, and tortured character. I adored this boo
Lisa
When I picked up Nevermore I was expecting to like it. So many of my Goodreads friends rated it highly as did the overall Goodreads community. Unfortunately after finishing the novel I'm sorry to say that it was barely a two star read for me.

Nevermore tells the story of Isobel Lanely, a popular blonde cheerleader, who is partnered with super goth, Varen Nethers, for an English project about Edgar Allen Poe. This pairing, which was chosen by the teacher, causes outrage among Isobel's friends. Her
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

O.M.G.

That was my reaction, anyway, to the majority of the book. Maybe I had such a strong reaction because I started the book not realizing this was a paranormal. Yes, I read the summary, but obviously it went over my head. This is what I assumed it would be about: The goth boy, Varen, would have some mental issues (like schizophrenia), and the popular cheerleader girl, Isobel, will fall in love with him and find help for him. And they would al
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
What I want you to know about this book: Of all the 2010 releases I've read this year, NEVERMORE ties with Tyger Tyger as my favorite. The only drawback to it is the length of time we have to wait for the second installment! So just be prepared to take up chewing your nails, pacing, and crawling up the walls once you finish this...

The basic setup for the story - loner, reclusive goth boy and Miss Peppy cheerleader are paired for an English project - just really doesn't begin to cover this epic 5
Whitney
This. Book.
crying Pictures, Images and Photos

Is nothing like I've ever read before. Sure it starts out in a school, like most cliche books. But then it gets creepy and wicked. And considering as how it's based on Edgar Allan Poe's works...it doesn't surprise me. It excites me. :3 Also, it makes me want to read some of his pieces. And I have The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe myself, so...*hugs it tightly to my chest*

I really liked loved this book because it keeps me guessing on what will happen, and what/who peo
Tutti Dolci
WHAAAAAT?!?!

I've been sucked in by this book for the last two days - ignoring my family and my life (yes, it was THAT GOOD) - only to come to the uber-shocking, frustrating, non-ending ending. So, as a result, I'm going to walk away from it and give it NO RATING until I can make peace with where things were left (because, I feel that the ending completely skews my opinion of the book as a whole).

And no, while I didn't expect a happily-ever-after ending or to have all the loose ends nicely tied u
Keli
Jan 16, 2012 Keli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I . LOVED. IT.

No seriously, I am like obsessed with this book. So, let’s see, it’s around 543 pages, I started this last night around 6:30 PM and it’s 11:47 AM the next day. I have never read a book this thick THAT fast. I am crazy, but holy shit that was a great ride. Woot!

This isn’t going to be a full-front in detail review, because it would just be rants of love. But this is the reason I truly adore the story: It’s so original. Oh, and yeah, Varen.

I think you-- yes you reading this-- underst
Ariana

First read in September 2010:
Even though I am not usually into this kind of paranormal stories, and the goth things are not my type either, Nevermore had something really special that kept me reading from the first page to the last one (and wanting for more).

The story seems simple in the beginning: Isobel is paired with Varen in an English project and, as different as they are (she - a cheerleader, he - a strange goth boy), they get to know each other better and slowly fell in love one for the
Kiki
description

This book. Trying to finish it is like going back to my chubby eight-year-old self loafing along the track on my school sports day, fighting to finish the race, knowing it's a lost cause because I'm humiliated anyway and I may as well just stop, because I'm tasting blood, but if I don't finish the thing I don't get a consolation medal.

This book.
Morgan F
This is one of those books I was reeaaally hoping to love. All my friends did. But, honestly, I don't see how. It wasn't anything special.

For one thing, I found it unrealistic. Yes, I know its a paranormal, but that should make it illogical, not unrealistic. In real life, at least at my school, there is very little open hostility between goths and jocks. Sly commentary, maybe but straight out violence? Nope. And truthfully, there are few goths anymore. Most of them turned either emo or scene. An
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I was not going to write a review for Nevermore because it was one of those books that kept me reading mouth open, eyes wide, fingers stuck not able to type in any ideas. Then again, I felt like writing a review would push you guys into giving this book a try. Which you should totally do, by the way. It’s awesome.

Since I’m short on ideas and irritated because of a stupid allergy, I’m afraid my review won’t be much fun. Nor interesting. Not aggravating. Nor.. something else that I can’t think of.
Afton Nelson
Problems with this book:
Way too long. I can't imagine what this tome must have weighed pre-edit. The descriptions went on and on and on. I got to the point where I'd just read the first sentence or two and start skipping ahead till I got to the action.

Plot Insanity The whole plot hinges around the fact that main character Isobel's entire crew (don't get me started on how annoying it is that a HS senior would refer to her group of friends as "her crew.") ostracizes her for something completely o
Liz
Oct 19, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”

When Isobel is paired with Varen for the English class project, she is horrified. Varen is dark and cold and sarcastic and there are lots of rumors about him that make being around him quite uncomfortable.
Firstly, she only wants to recieve a good mark, but soon it is not about the project anymore. There is something about Varen and his piercing eyes and Isobel does not know what it is, but she cannot resist being wit
Annabelle Marie Veronica
Oh my God.

This was the best book I have ever read in my entire life. At least, way, way up there.

I'm speechless. It was amazing.

It's better than so many books.

It is, without a shadow of doubt, one of the most amazing books I'v ever laid my hands on.

I love it so much.

It was just perfect. I loved every moment spent devouring it.
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

This was my second time reading Nevermore and it's safe to say that I loved it just as much as the first time around. I stayed up until three last night to finish it because I just couldn't get enough of the sinister world Kelly Creagh created. Also, I couldn't for the life of me remember some very important details which is why, at times, it felt like I was reading it for the first time. Thanks, brain, for forgetting almost everything that ha
Arlene
Jan 22, 2011 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: TBR Reduction Challenge #2 - Flannery
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

Absolutely I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E!!!

I have so many great things to say about Nevermore, but I’d rather you read the book than hear me ramble about what a great YA paranormal read this is, so I’m just going to choose a few things that really stood out for me. By no means does this cover all of the great things I have to say about this book that I finished in two short days because it was absolutely unputdownable!!

First, the paranormal aspect of this novel was perfectly
Rane
Apr 19, 2012 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'll be honest- I'm not a big fan of Poe's works, while I've read my share of what he's done, his stories have given me nightmares and while I laugh myself sick watching zombies movies I was pretty leery reading this book( take that as you will)

Nevermore surprised me at every turn, Kelly Creagh turned something old into something new, but the best of all was the blooming romance between our main leads Isobel & Varen.

It did start off as something that's been done before with the cheerlead
Jen
Disclaimer: This review will contain badly-structured paragraphs and thoughts that are erratic and have nothing to do with one another, other than the absolute incoherant fangirlness I'm experiencing at this time.

From the first time I laid my eyes on this book sometime in 2009, when Amazon recommended I check it out, I knew this would be a special relationship. The blacks and the purples and the guy on the cover with his brooding stare. I didn't even know what this book was about and I needed i
Samantha Young
Well they say never judge a book by its cover. ‘Tis true. ‘Tis true. I would not have picked up Nevermore if it hadn’t been for an extremely well-written review that absolutely raved about it.
I am so glad I picked it up.
Kelly Creagh has created one of the most vivid worlds I have ever discovered. If a book could be described as IMAX then Nevermore is that book; the characters and scenes sprang from the pages of the book to play out in front of me in striking clarity. In a word, it was wonderful.
Mizuki
For book 2 Enshadowed, see my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Being a Poe's devotee ever since I was a secondary school student, I was excited to come across Nevermore which takes us to an adventure through the Poeland (hahaha).

Before reading Nevermore, I have my fair share of Poe-related produces, like Matthew Pearl's The Poe Shadow: A Novel, the eerily attractive Spirits Of the Dead -three tales of the macabre- which was co-worked by three legendary directors (Federico Fel
Lissa
I wanted to read Nevermore ever since I heard of it. It sounded so totally awesome. I mean, a book called Nevermore that has something do with the great Edgar Alan Poe? A romantic interest that is also a writer as opposed to not having any hobbies? How totally rocking does that sound?

The writing is just exquisite. I loved every single sentence. I loved that there was a very nice dose of description of everything as well, especially colours. Some people might say there were too many adjectives, b
Nic
Sep 13, 2010 Nic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last he stopped, and she stared down at the printed column of words, unable to comprehend a single one. His hand, warm and steady, wound its way around hers, wrapping it like a spider would its prey. She surrendered it to him, unable to watch even as his thumb traced the place, just above her knuckles, where he had once written his number in deep violet. Isobel ceased to breathe. Her heart pounded in her chest, her thoughts shattering into senseless fragments. All the while, her eyes remaine ...more
~Tina~
Sep 13, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession time...*pause for effect* I have never heard of nor read anything by the obviously legendary Edgar Allan Poe before, till I read this book.
*inserts gasps here*
However, this book had me fascinated by his work and will quickly proceed to the nearest book store/library to remedy that fact.

Moving on...

How the hell do I even start this review? Seriously I'm at a lost of words to describe the greatness that is Nevemore.
OMG, WOW, HOLY SHIIIIT? Nope, it doesn't do it justice, in fact, nothin
Holly
5++++ stars

It has been so long since I was this excited about a book. Since I was so caught up in a story that all I wanted to do was read. All I wanted to do was be in that world, as creepy and unsettling as it may have been. I wanted to be there....and Creagh totally made me feel like I was right in the middle of all the nightmarish beauty that was Nevermore.

There have been countless reviews detailing the plot (which is beyond brilliant and original, especially in the YA genre), so i will sett
Marg K.
Nov 09, 2010 Marg K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-rating
Lately there has been a trend in YA fiction to reduce romance to "love at first sight" with the explanation that the two young lovers are meant to be together by some cosmic/magical machination of fate. This unfortunately skips over the natural progression of the characters getting to know one another and the gradual development of a deepening connection. In my opinion, it is the journey of emotional discovery and building tension, not the end result, that is the best part of a romance story. Th ...more
Nevermore by Kel...: Nevermore Soundtrack 29 58 Mar 01, 2016 09:14AM
Nevermore by Kel...: Reynolds/Gordon/The Poe Toaster 20 22 Jan 05, 2016 11:52PM
YA and Beyond: September 2015: Nevermore 12 13 Sep 26, 2015 03:15PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Sep 14, 2015 10:03AM
Varen's Dad 2 20 Mar 04, 2015 08:10PM
Nevermore by Kel...: Favorite Quotes from the Book/ Edgar Allen Poe Quotes 2 21 May 30, 2014 12:28PM
Ya Lovers: Nevermore 1 5 May 16, 2014 07:55PM
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Devoured
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Clarity (Clarity, #1)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde

Nevermore (3 books)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)

9 trivia questions
5 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The more this guy talked, the more he sounded like a fortune cookie.” 386 likes
“You're really a blond," she said, her tone just short of accusatory.
"And if you tell anyone, I will come to you in the night and smote your everlasting soul.”
292 likes