Start by marking “Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)

Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  20,173 ratings  ·  2,180 reviews
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either.But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy wit ...more
Klappenbroschur, 560 pages
Published January 2012 by Loewe (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nevermore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nevermore

Janina
It's been a while since a YA paranormal truly blew me away. But this book did. It actually made me stay up until 3 a.m. although I had to get up at seven the next morning (and yes, I regretted this afterwards).

Despite the praise it got from a lot of friends here on GoodReads, I tried to keep my expectations low before starting it. Books in this genre have disappointed me many times before. After reading Evermore, Evernight, Beautiful Creatures, Marked and the like, I’ve become careful and a bit
Kelly
Jan 13, 2011 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book thinking the entire time how much I would have enjoyed reading something like it when I was a teen. And that's the best way I know how to write because then, the rest just follows.
Choco
Review Also Here.

A lot of people praised the writing for this one, so I kind of feel bad saying that I didn’t think it was ... well, that great.

I have so much to say about this book, but I won't get to it all. Let me start off with a little summary – just a fast summary of half of the book, bear with me. Spoilers coming. I don't mean just the tagged ones.

Isobel gets partnered up with Varen for her English project. She doesn’t think that’s fair and wants to switch partners because he’s weird. H
Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;)
I didn't like Nevermore. No, scratch that. I hated Nevermore.

Reading the blurb, I figured this book would be awesome. I am a E.A. Poe fangirl, and hearing all the hype about this book made me want it that much more. I thought the concept was interesting- but it wasn't pieced together well enough for me. It was choppy, boring, and slow- with most of the "action" held within the last chapter.

Poe is notoriously known for his "darker" writings, so I expected this to be darker than it actually was. I
Limonessa
They say not to judge a book by its cover. That appearances are deceitful.

I say this time you should not judge the book by how it starts off. At first, it very much looks like your garden-variety paranormal YA: jocks, cheerleaders, cliques, mean girls, emo-goths, star crossed lovers, you get the gist. There were a couple of scenes at the beginning where I thought I was probably going to ditch it if it went on like it was.
But it didn't.
First of all, you should be aware that underneath the shallo
Kim
This review is difficult to write because I usually don't have that much to say about books I love. It's mostly facial expressions, gestures and noises when I try to explain why I like something. Oh and it will look like this was written by a 17-year old, not a 27-year old. And I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I even wish I could write this review in purple ink, that's how much I'm into this book. And Varen. ♥

If I ever had to describe the kind of guy I desperately want then I think Varen
Tammara
Here's something I never say: OH THANK GOD this is a series. I grabbed this book at B&N to give it a little preview before ordering it from Amazon, just to make sure I really wanted it. 100 pages and a finished latte later... I decided I didn't want it from Amazon -- I had to have it right then. I paid full price (horrors! but trust me it was that or stay at the store past closing time!), took it home and did little else but read. Despite work the next day, I finished it (I admit this is a b ...more
Kristi
I loved this book.

I wanted to love this book, but I was a little apprehensive. I mean... the goth boy and the cheerleader. Haven't I read this story before.... No, Kristi, you have not read a story quite like this one before.

In addition to loving the pages in this book I also love this cover. I wish that B&N hadn't had a little hissy fit and the publisher would have been able to keep Varen's lip ring.... it was so much hotter with the lip ring. But I still love the cover regardless.

The char
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

O.M.G.

That was my reaction, anyway, to the majority of the book. Maybe I had such a strong reaction because I started the book not realizing this was a paranormal. Yes, I read the summary, but obviously it went over my head. This is what I assumed it would be about: The goth boy, Varen, would have some mental issues (like schizophrenia), and the popular cheerleader girl, Isobel, will fall in love with him and find help for him. And they would al
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
What I want you to know about this book: Of all the 2010 releases I've read this year, NEVERMORE ties with Tyger Tyger as my favorite. The only drawback to it is the length of time we have to wait for the second installment! So just be prepared to take up chewing your nails, pacing, and crawling up the walls once you finish this...

The basic setup for the story - loner, reclusive goth boy and Miss Peppy cheerleader are paired for an English project - just really doesn't begin to cover this epic 5
Whitney
This. Book.
crying Pictures, Images and Photos

Is nothing like I've ever read before. Sure it starts out in a school, like most cliche books. But then it gets creepy and wicked. And considering as how it's based on Edgar Allan Poe's works...it doesn't surprise me. It excites me. :3 Also, it makes me want to read some of his pieces. And I have The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe myself, so...*hugs it tightly to my chest*

I really liked loved this book because it keeps me guessing on what will happen, and what/who peop
Lisa
When I picked up Nevermore I was expecting to like it. So many of my Goodreads friends rated it highly as did the overall Goodreads community. Unfortunately after finishing the novel I'm sorry to say that it was barely a two star read for me.

Nevermore tells the story of Isobel Lanely, a popular blonde cheerleader, who is partnered with super goth, Varen Nethers, for an English project about Edgar Allen Poe. This pairing, which was chosen by the teacher, causes outrage among Isobel's friends. Her
KC
WHAAAAAT?!?!

I've been sucked in by this book for the last two days - ignoring my family and my life (yes, it was THAT GOOD) - only to come to the uber-shocking, frustrating, non-ending ending. So, as a result, I'm going to walk away from it and give it NO RATING until I can make peace with where things were left (because, I feel that the ending completely skews my opinion of the book as a whole).

And no, while I didn't expect a happily-ever-after ending or to have all the loose ends nicely tied u
Keli
I . LOVED. IT.

No seriously, I am like obsessed with this book. So, let’s see, it’s around 543 pages, I started this last night around 6:30 PM and it’s 11:47 AM the next day. I have never read a book this thick THAT fast. I am crazy, but holy shit that was a great ride. Woot!

This isn’t going to be a full-front in detail review, because it would just be rants of love. But this is the reason I truly adore the story: It’s so original. Oh, and yeah, Varen.

I think you-- yes you reading this-- underst
Ariana

First read in September 2010:
Even though I am not usually into this kind of paranormal stories, and the goth things are not my type either, Nevermore had something really special that kept me reading from the first page to the last one (and wanting for more).

The story seems simple in the beginning: Isobel is paired with Varen in an English project and, as different as they are (she - a cheerleader, he - a strange goth boy), they get to know each other better and slowly fell in love one for the
Kira
description

This book. Trying to finish it is like going back to my chubby eight-year-old self loafing along the track on my school sports day, fighting to finish the race, knowing it's a lost cause because I'm humiliated anyway and I may as well just stop, because I'm tasting blood, but if I don't finish the thing I don't get a consolation medal.

This book.
Morgan F
This is one of those books I was reeaaally hoping to love. All my friends did. But, honestly, I don't see how. It wasn't anything special.

For one thing, I found it unrealistic. Yes, I know its a paranormal, but that should make it illogical, not unrealistic. In real life, at least at my school, there is very little open hostility between goths and jocks. Sly commentary, maybe but straight out violence? Nope. And truthfully, there are few goths anymore. Most of them turned either emo or scene. An
Arlene
Jan 22, 2011 Arlene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: TBR Reduction Challenge #2 - Flannery
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

Absolutely I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E!!!

I have so many great things to say about Nevermore, but I’d rather you read the book than hear me ramble about what a great YA paranormal read this is, so I’m just going to choose a few things that really stood out for me. By no means does this cover all of the great things I have to say about this book that I finished in two short days because it was absolutely unputdownable!!

First, the paranormal aspect of this novel was perfectly
Afton Nelson
Problems with this book:
Way too long. I can't imagine what this tome must have weighed pre-edit. The descriptions went on and on and on. I got to the point where I'd just read the first sentence or two and start skipping ahead till I got to the action.

Plot Insanity The whole plot hinges around the fact that main character Isobel's entire crew (don't get me started on how annoying it is that a HS senior would refer to her group of friends as "her crew.") ostracizes her for something completely o
Annabelle Marie Veronica
Oh my God.

This was the best book I have ever read in my entire life. At least, way, way up there.

I'm speechless. It was amazing.

It's better than so many books.

It is, without a shadow of doubt, one of the most amazing books I'v ever laid my hands on.

I love it so much.

It was just perfect. I loved every moment spent devouring it.
Liz

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”

When Isobel is paired with Varen for the English class project, she is horrified. Varen is dark and cold and sarcastic and there are lots of rumors about him that make being around him quite uncomfortable.
Firstly, she only wants to recieve a good mark, but soon it is not about the project anymore. There is something about Varen and his piercing eyes and Isobel does not know what it is, but she cannot resist being with
Rane

I'll be honest- I'm not a big fan of Poe's works, while I've read my share of what he's done, his stories have given me nightmares and while I laugh myself sick watching zombies movies I was pretty leery reading this book( take that as you will)

Nevermore surprised me at every turn, Kelly Creagh turned something old into something new, but the best of all was the blooming romance between our main leads Isobel & Varen.

It did start off as something that's been done before with the cheerlead
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I was not going to write a review for Nevermore because it was one of those books that kept me reading mouth open, eyes wide, fingers stuck not able to type in any ideas. Then again, I felt like writing a review would push you guys into giving this book a try. Which you should totally do, by the way. It’s awesome.

Since I’m short on ideas and irritated because of a stupid allergy, I’m afraid my review won’t be much fun. Nor interesting. Not aggravating. Nor.. something else that I can’t think of.
Jen
Disclaimer: This review will contain badly-structured paragraphs and thoughts that are erratic and have nothing to do with one another, other than the absolute incoherant fangirlness I'm experiencing at this time.

From the first time I laid my eyes on this book sometime in 2009, when Amazon recommended I check it out, I knew this would be a special relationship. The blacks and the purples and the guy on the cover with his brooding stare. I didn't even know what this book was about and I needed i
Lissa
I wanted to read Nevermore ever since I heard of it. It sounded so totally awesome. I mean, a book called Nevermore that has something do with the great Edgar Alan Poe? A romantic interest that is also a writer as opposed to not having any hobbies? How totally rocking does that sound?

The writing is just exquisite. I loved every single sentence. I loved that there was a very nice dose of description of everything as well, especially colours. Some people might say there were too many adjectives, b
~Tina~
Confession time...*pause for effect* I have never heard of nor read anything by the obviously legendary Edgar Allan Poe before, till I read this book.
*inserts gasps here*
However, this book had me fascinated by his work and will quickly proceed to the nearest book store/library to remedy that fact.

Moving on...

How the hell do I even start this review? Seriously I'm at a lost of words to describe the greatness that is Nevemore.
OMG, WOW, HOLY SHIIIIT? Nope, it doesn't do it justice, in fact, nothin
Nic
At last he stopped, and she stared down at the printed column of words, unable to comprehend a single one. His hand, warm and steady, wound its way around hers, wrapping it like a spider would its prey. She surrendered it to him, unable to watch even as his thumb traced the place, just above her knuckles, where he had once written his number in deep violet. Isobel ceased to breathe. Her heart pounded in her chest, her thoughts shattering into senseless fragments. All the while, her eyes remaine ...more
Scarlet
Wow. I mean...WOW. This book...I'm just...I'm speechless. It was breathtaking.

Words cannot even describe just how amazing this book is. The writing, for one, is absolutely beautiful, there is such skill and rich description in Creagh's words that you can picture every image perfectly, almost to the point where you want to read some sentences over again, to savor them.

The plot was very well developed, it's obvious that everything was carefully thought out, which lends to it's success as a novel.
Marg K.
Lately there has been a trend in YA fiction to reduce romance to "love at first sight" with the explanation that the two young lovers are meant to be together by some cosmic/magical machination of fate. This unfortunately skips over the natural progression of the characters getting to know one another and the gradual development of a deepening connection. In my opinion, it is the journey of emotional discovery and building tension, not the end result, that is the best part of a romance story. Th ...more
Samantha Young
Well they say never judge a book by its cover. ‘Tis true. ‘Tis true. I would not have picked up Nevermore if it hadn’t been for an extremely well-written review that absolutely raved about it.
I am so glad I picked it up.
Kelly Creagh has created one of the most vivid worlds I have ever discovered. If a book could be described as IMAX then Nevermore is that book; the characters and scenes sprang from the pages of the book to play out in front of me in striking clarity. In a word, it was wonderful.
Nevermore by Kel...: Nevermore Soundtrack 26 31 Jul 18, 2014 05:46PM
Nevermore: Nevermore Soundtrack 3 14 Jul 10, 2014 05:57PM
Nevermore: Moderators 6 9 Jun 26, 2014 06:23PM
Nevermore: Ice cream! 11 13 Jun 08, 2014 06:51PM
Nevermore by Kel...: Varen 45 37 Jun 08, 2014 06:36PM
Nevermore by Kel...: Favorite Quotes from the Book/ Edgar Allen Poe Quotes 2 18 May 30, 2014 12:28PM
Ya Lovers: Nevermore 1 4 May 16, 2014 07:55PM
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • Wake Unto Me
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Brightly Woven
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Angel Star (Angel Star, #1)
Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2) Oblivion (Nevermore, #3) The Nevermore Poe Collection

9 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The more this guy talked, the more he sounded like a fortune cookie.” 354 likes
“You're really a blond," she said, her tone just short of accusatory.
"And if you tell anyone, I will come to you in the night and smote your everlasting soul.”
279 likes