Start by marking “Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)

Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Man made of metal and flesh

Captain Christopher Redmond has just one weakness: the alluring spy who loved and left him years before…when he was still just a man. Now he's superhuman—a Man O' War, made as part of the British Navy's weapons program—and his responsibility is to protect the skies of Europe. If only he could forget Louisa Shaw.

A most inconvenient desire

Louisa, a
Published April 3rd 2012 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Skies of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skies of Fire

Ren
Nov 13, 2012 Ren marked it as to-read
Shelves: author-autobuy
UPDATE : Sorry, I kinda messed up this one with another Zoe's new series "NEMESIS, UNLIMITED" that will published at 2013. That series are a "Burn Notice" that have Historical setting. Not this one. But I will let that Michael Westen's pic just for entertaining purpose only ;-) ".
BTW, Zoe said, Capt Christopher Redmond, hero of this book, is more like MICHAEL FASSBENDER!!

Oh, yea! Another hot Michael!!

Zoe Archer once said this one like "Burn Notice" that took place at Victorian England!

Did she
Paranormal Haven
Christopher was made into a Man O’War when his lover, Louisa left him. This painful transformation puts a type of metal into him that makes him stronger, more aggressive and powers his airship. He escapes a battle that would have destroyed his ship over enemy land when he sees a signal from a trapped comrade. It turns out to be Louisa who is in intelligence. The information she has gathered can help their side of the war, but what they have to do puts them in mortal danger.

This is the first book
Melindeeloo
2.5 stars - Skies of Fire kicks off a new steampunk series by Zoe Archer and her author husband Nico Rosso. Archer's entry has a Brittish airship captain who was enhanced with implants that make him more than human in the lead. His ship is damaged behind enemy lines when he rescues an undercover operative - who happens to be the former lover who abandoned him years ago. Her mission is not complete yet and he must help her in a suicide mission to destroy the enemy's secret munitions plant.

I am in
Lisarenee
"Can something be both marvelous and terrible?"
She gazed at him. "Love."

Someone once said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." In the case of Louisa Shaw nothing could be truer. Three years ago she'd run away from her fear and abandoned a wonderful man without a word. She just up and left. A woman who could face death in the face on a daily basis was afraid of a little thing called love...

Captain Christopher Redmond had lost his heart three years ago and it was returned broken. Dev
Marlene
Originally published at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/04...

If the British Admiralty is sending airships to fight the Hapsburgs, then this must be steampunk. And damned fine steampunk indeed!

Zoë Archer's latest book, Skies of Fire, is that steampunk, the first tale of The Ether Chronicles. It's that "ether" that powers those airships. Along with something, or rather someone, who has been transformed into a "Man O'War". And no, Ms. Archer was not referring to the horse.

In this alternate-19th
Jenny Schwartz
Tensely written action scenes making for a fast pace. A bit sexy...okay, well a lot sexy, but believable in the strong emotional conflict/relationship development. Grand adventure and pretty much a perfect read. I devoured the story and can't wait to read more in the series.
Beth Dawkins

This is the first book
Natasja
Skies of Fire by Zoe Archer is the first novel in the Ether Chronicles Series and I have to say it was very different from what I normally read, but definitely enjoyable.

There is a lot of world building in this book, especially in the beginning so you have to stay focus to keep up with all the information. England is at war and they have developed something that will turn human men into these Man O’War. This means their bodies are part metal that will give them energy to power airships. The dow
Jen (Red Hot Books)
3.5 Stars
Zoe Archer sets up an interesting, alternative steampunk world in this first installment of The Ether Chronicles.

Our hero is Christopher, captain of an ether-powered flying ship for the British Navy. He's also a Man-O-War. Now part man and part machine, he is connected to his ship. A special metal fused to his flesh and bone allows the energies in his body to create the ether. It's a job he loves. But as much as he revels in the skies, he still mourns the loss of Louisa, woman who got a
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Rounding up to 4 stars because I easily got into the story & had fun reading it.

Christopher is the captain of an airship. He is also a Man O' War - fused with a metallic substance that gives him extra strength and energy (he's pretty much the battery for his ship, and he needs the ship in order to siphon off said "energy" - symbiotic relationship). He and his crew are behind enemy lines when they get a distress call from a nearby village. They find Louisa, an intelligence agent, who also use
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Skies of Fire is the first in The Ether Chronicles, a new Steampunk Romance series from Zoe Archer and the first eARC I have received since signings up with Edelweiss. Both Zoe Archer and her husband, Nico Rosso will be writing stories in this series. His will be Steampunk Westerns and Zoe’s will be Steampunk Everywhere Else. The fact that there would be another husband and wife team writing in a series caught my attention.

Skies of Fire is novella length and was a quick and easy read. Here are m
Deniz
I love steampunk, the series sounded interesting and with little time at hand I thought these roughly 200page novellas would be the way to go

The world building was classic steampunk - I in fact really reminded me of Meljean Brooks Iron Seas Series - which I love
I like the idea of Man O' Wars as well
But all in all it's not awe inspiring or amazing. In fact it's rather basic, which I am guessing is due to the length of the novel as well.

The character building was probably the strongest part of t
Amy
SKIES OF FIRE by Zoë Archer is an action-packed novella introducing us to the world of the Ether Chronicles. From beginning to end, this skillfully written novella transports us to a world so similar to our own yet so different. The story keeps us enthralled through the dangers and thrills of the mission as well as the re-ignited passionate love between Christopher and Louisa that they slowly come to realize has managed to survive after three years of separation.

Zoë Archer has created an alterna
Mandy
I really like Archer's writing and I love steampunk, so this should have been a winner for me. Archer is a pretty solid writer that usually does an excellent job of mixing action and romance. Here, she missed on both marks. I never connected with these characters. Their backstories weren’t really interesting and I didn’t care if they hooked up or not.

Archer missed some huge possibilities with the action section, too. The hero, Christopher, is a Man O’War. Archer goes into great detail about the
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Three years ago, Captain Christopher Redmond had his heart broken by Louisa Shaw. The beautiful British Naval Intelligence agent left without a word and he hasn’t heard from her since. In the years since, Christopher has changed – he’s become a Man O’ War, one of the British Navy’s best weapons. Then a distress call summons Christopher’s airship and his life is turned upside down when he finds that the spy in
Erin
I wasn't sure what to think about this book when I first decided I wanted to try it. I was worried that it would end up being more 1 million dollar man with the girls fainting at the hero's feat. But I really should have more confidence in Ms. Archer and her stories. Like her previous series (Blades of Rose) she found the perfect balance between the science fictional elements, the time period, and the characters.

If you've read her previous books, the character traits found in the hero and heroin
E_bookpushers
Lots of fun to read. I was sucked into their adventure from the start with a giant ship battle. The past history the hero and heroine had was also wonderful along with their changes as three years has passed since they last met. The heroine was very strong but she didn't try to outman the guys which I also really enjoyed. The inventions were very fascinating and I liked that they didn't come without a price. I also really liked that the person who discovered and invented how to meld man and mach ...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend(A-)
Full Review: http://www.twimom227.com/2012/09/revi...

Our action-filled story starts with our brave Man O’War Captain, Christopher, and his ship, Demeter, waged in a sky battle with enemy airships. It’s Her Majesty’s Royal Navy against the Hapsburg (aka Huns) troops, and the odds are against the British. After successfully hiding from the enemy, Christopher notices a distress signal coming from a nearby village. The crew prepares for and makes
Rhianna
A perfect balance of adventure and romance!

Captain Christopher Redmond was just a man when British Naval Intelligence agent, Louisa Shaw, left him years ago. Since then he has become a Man O' War, something more than human and tied to his ship in a way no other man can be. Protecting the skies of Europe is a duty he takes very seriously and when Louisa's mission gets compromised bringing their paths together again he'll suffer the constant reminder of their past for the sake of duty. But this is
Sunny
Christopher Redman
Louisa Shaw

This tightly packed romance takes place in wartime over enemy territory. Captain Christopher Redman is a Man O'War, a technically enhanced human with superhuman powers - think 6 Million Dollar Man. Three years ago,before his transformation, the woman he was in love with, Louisa Shaw - a British Intelligence Agent - left him in the middle of night with no explanation. Christopher and Louisa's paths cross unexpectedly when he rescues a British agent behind enemy lines
Monique J.
Captain Christopher (Kit) Redmond and Naval Intelligence spy Louisa Shaw were a great couple. I had a few qualms about the length of the book in that I wasn't sure how invested I would be in a couple who falls in love in a little more than 200 pages. But I was pleasantly surprised. Archer skillfully created a rich back story where Kit and Lulu had fallen madly in love years ago, and she left him over commitment issues. Three years later and their connection is just as intense. When Kit heroicall ...more
Britt Marczak
As usual, I loved Archer's writing and strong characters. The steampunk is done well and intelligently. The heroine is strong and capable - one of my favorite consistencies in Archer's writing and the reason why she is an auto-buy author for me. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Tash
Reviewed for Booked Up . Stay tuned for the review to be posted on Booked Up's goodreads account and the Blog
Delphine Dryden
Fantastic worldbuilding and tons of character development for a novella. This book was chock full of great stuff! I can't wait for the next installment; I'm eager for another look at the Archer/Rosso steampunk world!
Holly
A great steampunk-esque novel. I really like the world Archer created. The characters were well drawn and the plot fast-paced and riveting. I can't wait for the next installment.
Jean
Small quibble with the cover. The hero is supposed to have reddish-blond hair. :) Interesting world and concepts. We'll have to see how the series progresses.
Liana Brooks
Fantastic world building, fast-paced and fun.
MarieJane
Short but sweet
Marsha
(3.5 Stars)
I've been in a reading funk; so, one of my goodread's friends recommended I read "Skies of Fire." Since, I love steampunk, I decided to give the book a try. I've never read any books of the husband and wife writing team of Zoe Archer. I was impressed. There was plenty of action, an intelligent and strong female herione, and I especially loved the way the authors prolonged the anticipation of the couples love making. Sometimes, authors give us too much too soon. This is not the case he
Joana Lima
2 stars

Major eye roll to the whole thing :X

Estava bastante entusiasmada com esta primeira incursão da Avon no mundo steampunk e estava preparada para gostar da autora (inclusivamente comprei logo dois livros dela, de séries diferentes).

A ideia dos Man o'War tem o seu quê de interessante, infelizmente a autora deixou tudo por explicar: de onde veio o metal, como a cientista que criou estes super soldados teve a ideia de usar implantes desse mesmo metal para aumentar as capacidades de certas pesso
  • Night of Fire
  • Geared for Pleasure
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
Zoe Archer is an award-winning romance author who thinks there's nothing sexier than a man in tall boots and a waistcoat. As a child, she never dreamed about being the rescued princess, but wanted to kick butt right beside the hero. She now applies her master's degrees in Literature and Fiction to creating butt-kicking heroines and heroes in tall boots. She is the author of the acclaimed BLADES OF ...more
More about Zoe Archer...
Warrior (The Blades of the Rose, #1) Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) Rebel (The Blades of the Rose, #3) Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4) Devil's Kiss (The Hellraisers, #1)