Start by marking “Lionclaw (Rowan Hood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lionclaw (Rowan Hood, #2)

Lionclaw (Rowan Hood #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Lionel won't learn to fight, so he is banished by his warrior father, Lionclaw. The boy soon finds a home in Sherwood Forest with a band of outcasts led by Rowan Hood, daughter of Robin. But when Lionclaw vows to destroy them, Lionel knows he must finally fight for what is right.
A sequel to the award-winning Rowan Hood, this action-packed adventure is sure to delight all y...more
Audiobook, Unabridged - Audible Download, 4 pages
Published October 22nd 2008 by Recorded Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lionclaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lionclaw

Lily
Great story! In the first Rowan Hood book, I thought Lionel was kinda annoying, but he shines SO BEAUTIFULLY in this story in a way I never thought possible. *laughs* (He's actually my favorite character now.) I loved how he changed from a complete coward and into some... crazy fierce person. Like geez, who is this dude? Did he hit his head or something? Does he have an evil twin? NOOOOOPE, THAT'S TOTALLY THE SAME GUY. *Faints* His bravery especially surprised me at the end when he faced his fat...more
An Odd1
Pleasant but scary interlude when Sherwood Forest can be full of birds and feasting with friends or cold rain and enemies seeking death. Lionel 15, giant, harper rejected by warrior father Sir Roderick Lionclaw, whimpers and simpers until scolded by new leader Rowan Hood, runaway princess Ettarde, even ragged barefoot Rook. Lionclaw, after capture by Rowan's father Robin, recognizes Lionel's song, roars his rage, and offers £1K for his son's dead body. Lionel flees, but returns when bounty hunte...more
Cayla
This will be a very short review, but I feel as though I have to explain my low rating.

For some reason, this book really didn't draw me in like the first one. I wasn't crazy about Lionel as the main character, honestly, (I didn't care for him in the first book, either) although he certainly improved by the end of the story. Overall, I just didn't find the plot as interesting as the first and my favorite character (Robin Hood :D) wasn't in it very much at all, which was also a bit disappointing....more
Cathy
Lionel believes that he is nothing but an awkward coward, and he much prefers playing his harp to drawing a sword. Banished by his warrior father, Lord Lionclaw, he finds refuge in Sherwood Forest and joins a misfit band of outlaws led by Rowan Hood, daughter of Robin. Lionel is loyal and grateful to his good friend Rowan, yet he is also determined to make peace with his father. But when Lionclaw is taken prisoner by Robin Hood one night, he spots his son among the outlaws and vows revenge on hi...more
Grace
For a such a short book, this certainly has a lot of character development all around. The wild boy gets a name, Lionel becomes brave (braver?) … Overall, a sweet, well written and good story from the Springer’s world of Robin Hood. It fleshes out the characters from the first book, even though this book is incredibly small and shorter in comparison.

I admired Lionel’s devotion to Rowan. I admired all of the Rowan Band’s devotion to her, actually. I’m a little curious as to if Lionel is just real...more
Jan
There is less focus on Rowan in this 2nd book of the Rowan Hood Series, as it follows the character of the bumbling young giant Lionel, and allows us to learn more about him. Each of the next 3 books in the series focuses on another member of Rowan's band, with the final book back to Rowan herself.
This is a very strong tale, and well told, with plenty of adventure in spite of its brevity (122 pages). The only reason I marked it down to 3 stars is because of Lionel's attitude toward the elfin "...more
Hannah
[image error]Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest
The Squire's Tale
YOU MIGHT LIKE Lionclaw!
Lisa Rathbun
The second in the series about Rowan Hood, this one focuses on Lionel. Is he truly a coward? Is his father really seeking to kill him?

Readers learn what prompted Lionel to act the way he does and what his greatest fear is.

The first book, though Robin Hood was a character, would probably interest girls more. I thought this book might interest guys as the focus is on a boy becoming a man and on the rocky relationship with his father.

There are fewer references to spirits than in the first book, a...more
Logan
L is really enjoying listening to these on CD. The reader is great. This one wasn't quite as cool as the first one though (Rowan Hood). In the first book, Rowan (daughter of Robin Hood) forms a band of outlaw misfits. Subsequent books focus on each member. This one is about Lionel, the 7-foot-tall minstrel harper whose own father has threatened to kill him for being a coward and a sissy. the story is good and clips right along, but even Logan wanted to scold Lionel for being so whiney and diffic...more
Bridget R. Wilson
In this sequel to Rowan Hood, we find out more about the feminine minstrel Lionel who is part of Rowan's band. He deals with a father who hates him and his own insecurities.

What I thought: This book certainly puts the medieval era in perspective. Lionel's father disowned him and even goes so far to put a price on his son's head. Why? Lionel, though he is big and strong, would rather play his harp than learn to sword fight. Rowan and her friends certainly turn stereotypes on their heads. Rowan wo...more
Meg
A lovely, easy read and a brief nostalgic treat too.
H
Another fun story. I like how it shifted main characters, and how we got to know Lionel and saw what he was really like. I also thought Springer gave him an excellent excuse for why he behaves the way he does--it was very logical and seemed like, in his situation, a good way of dealing with what he wanted versus what his father wanted for him when he was younger. I hope, though, that in the next book we see him nearly completely as he was at the end of this--strong, brave, clear-headed, honest....more
Mindy
predictable, but so well written. A nice gentle read for younger audience
Angela
I wasn't drawn to this character in the first book of the series, Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest. However, this story, told from Lionel's point of view, was really quite interesting.

Through this adventure Lionel finds his courage in a very remarkable way. The story is a quick read and just the right length in my opinion.
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
Had some nice character development for Lionel, but there wasn't much else going on in the story, really, and lacked a lot of the charm of the first book.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the depiction of Guy of Gisbourne in this series - or of Robin and his men, to be honest. Then again, the only thing I know of Robin Hood is various movies and TV shows. Never did read much in the way of original stories... *shrugs*
Darla
(Genre:children's fiction/fantasy) Another installment in Springer's Rowan Hood series that I listened to on CD. Because we were painting over the weekend, I was able to finish it very quickly (and it is a fairly short book). This tale centers on Lionel (a member of Rowan's band) and his past. We learn who he is and how he came to be a wandering minstrel. Very similar to the first book. :)
Susan
Lionel was one of Rowan Hood's accidental friends. He was a giant who was anything but agile on his feet. He had the voice of an angel. His words and songs could lull men into almost a trance. Lionel decides to stand up for himself when his father kidnaps Rowan. Interesting book, but I don't think it was as strong as the first in the series. Students will still enjoy the tale.
Jill
This is the 2nd in the Rowan Hood series. I didn't like it as well as the 1st. This is Lionel the harper's story. His father had high hopes for him as a warrior since he is 7 feet tall. Lionel, however, would rather play his harp than fight, which is why his father banished him. With a price on his head, he must stand up to his father when Rowan is taken captive.
Meadow
Lionel has always prefered a harp over a sword, so he was chased of by his father and joined Rowan hood and her band. When his father is taken captive by Robin Hood and discovers Lionel he is enraged. And when Rowan is taken hostage the Lion in Lionel is released.

This book was good, focusing on other characters then Rowan.
Meredith
The 2nd Rowan Hood book, this time from the point of view of Lionel. I think this is brilliant. One of the complaints I had about the first book was that I didn't really know any of the characters besides Rowan. So I'm glad that each book focuses on a different character. I really enjoyed getting some insight into Lionel.
Taylor
Another good one from Nancy Springer. More tales of Rowan Hood and her band of clever, gentle, passionate, misfit young people. I am looking forward to reading this series aloud to Arthur when he is a bit older.
Cassondra

Not quite as satisfying as the rest but well written all the same. To see Lionel realize that he wasn't truly a coward but a smart boy evading harm for a particular reason was very satisfying.
Tricia
I like that the series is changing between characters. And while Lionel seemed so whiny and babish in the first book, this one really explains why and you are able to see him grow into his potential.
Jen
Second in the series. I liked the first one better. Very very quick read. But there was a spot where I literally found myself comepletely lost and thought, "What?" I don't know. Maybe it was me.
McKenzie
Jul 23, 2008 McKenzie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all robin hood lovers
i didn't like this one. it was odd. but it was really sad. it did have one funny part. it is in the beginning. it made me and maddy laugh. but it was an ok book.
Michelle
This was alright if going through the series. I think I liked it better when I was a bit younger, but it was still pretty good.
Ashley
This series has been an enjoyable, short-length and character-driven series. I'm looking forward to the next one on audio.
Megan
Second in the series about Robin Hood's daughter, just a fun, short read. Rated PG for violence.
Hannah
Nancy Springer is a great writer. She can make younger kid books interesting for older kids.
Richard
Second in series. Waiting for my library to get more in audiobook form (5 books in all).
  • The Courage to Choose (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #15)
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • The Seventh Princess
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • The Emerald Princess Plays a Trick (The Jewel Kingdom, #3)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • Heart of Avalon (Avalon: Web of Magic #10):
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • Transformation (Water, #3)
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • The Enchanted Collection Box Set: Ella Enchanted, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Fairest
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE...more
More about Nancy Springer...
The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #1) The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #2) The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #4) The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #3) I Am Morgan le Fay