Start by marking “Lionclaw (Rowan Hood, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lionclaw (Rowan Hood, #2)

Lionclaw (Rowan Hood #2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  773 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Lionel won't learn to fight, so he is banished by his warrior father, Lionclaw. The boy soon finds a home in Sherwood Forest with a band of outcasts led by Rowan Hood, daughter of Robin. But when Lionclaw vows to destroy them, Lionel knows he must finally fight for what is right.
A sequel to the award-winning Rowan Hood, this action-packed adventure is sure to delight all y
Audiobook, Unabridged - Audible Download, 4 pages
Published October 22nd 2008 by Recorded Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lionclaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lionclaw

Steven Bell
Mixed thoughts on this book. It certainly a lot less fun than the first book. Lionel's self-esteem and self-image issues are relentless and uncomfortable read about as is his father's crusade to murder him or get someone else to do it for him.

I was also bothered by the fact that Rowan is seemingly the only person capable of being kind to Lionel. Even Etty bullies him and calls him an idiot (that she did it to motivate him isn't much of a comfort but I am glad that she later apologised.) Robin ju
Lily
Great story! In the first Rowan Hood book, I thought Lionel was kinda annoying, but he shines SO BEAUTIFULLY in this story in a way I never thought possible. *laughs* (He's actually my favorite character now.) I loved how he changed from a complete coward and into some... crazy fierce person. Like geez, who is this dude? Did he hit his head or something? Does he have an evil twin? NOOOOOPE, THAT'S TOTALLY THE SAME GUY. *Faints* His bravery especially surprised me at the end when he faced his fat ...more
An Odd1
Jan 29, 2014 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant but scary interlude when Sherwood Forest can be full of birds and feasting with friends or cold rain and enemies seeking death. Lionel 15, giant, harper rejected by warrior father Sir Roderick Lionclaw, whimpers and simpers until scolded by new leader Rowan Hood, runaway princess Ettarde, even ragged barefoot Rook. Lionclaw, after capture by Rowan's father Robin, recognizes Lionel's song, roars his rage, and offers 1K for his son's dead body. Lionel flees, but returns when bounty hunter ...more
Cayla
Jul 02, 2014 Cayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This will be a very short review, but I feel as though I have to explain my low rating.

For some reason, this book really didn't draw me in like the first one. I wasn't crazy about Lionel as the main character, honestly, (I didn't care for him in the first book, either) although he certainly improved by the end of the story. Overall, I just didn't find the plot as interesting as the first and my favorite character (Robin Hood :D) wasn't in it very much at all, which was also a bit disappointing.
Cathy
Lionel believes that he is nothing but an awkward coward, and he much prefers playing his harp to drawing a sword. Banished by his warrior father, Lord Lionclaw, he finds refuge in Sherwood Forest and joins a misfit band of outlaws led by Rowan Hood, daughter of Robin. Lionel is loyal and grateful to his good friend Rowan, yet he is also determined to make peace with his father. But when Lionclaw is taken prisoner by Robin Hood one night, he spots his son among the outlaws and vows revenge on hi ...more
Grace
For a such a short book, this certainly has a lot of character development all around. The wild boy gets a name, Lionel becomes brave (braver?) … Overall, a sweet, well written and good story from the Springer’s world of Robin Hood. It fleshes out the characters from the first book, even though this book is incredibly small and shorter in comparison.

I admired Lionel’s devotion to Rowan. I admired all of the Rowan Band’s devotion to her, actually. I’m a little curious as to if Lionel is just real
Sonya
Apr 20, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Springer's second book of the series continued to attract my boys' need to know. We read it out of order, but there was enough background to follow.
She describes the forest in detail, with flowery words so like the times that she writes in. A book difficult to read out-loud, and with some profanity which could be omitted. My boys listened without difficulty.

Lionel, told by his father to be a coward, finds bravery is not just in brute strength and control. He finds a place where his bravery is n
Jan
Jun 27, 2009 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is less focus on Rowan in this 2nd book of the Rowan Hood Series, as it follows the character of the bumbling young giant Lionel, and allows us to learn more about him. Each of the next 3 books in the series focuses on another member of Rowan's band, with the final book back to Rowan herself.
This is a very strong tale, and well told, with plenty of adventure in spite of its brevity (122 pages). The only reason I marked it down to 3 stars is because of Lionel's attitude toward the elfin "
Rebekah
[image error]Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest
The Squire's Tale
YOU MIGHT LIKE Lionclaw!
Lisa Rathbun
The second in the series about Rowan Hood, this one focuses on Lionel. Is he truly a coward? Is his father really seeking to kill him?

Readers learn what prompted Lionel to act the way he does and what his greatest fear is.

The first book, though Robin Hood was a character, would probably interest girls more. I thought this book might interest guys as the focus is on a boy becoming a man and on the rocky relationship with his father.

There are fewer references to spirits than in the first book, a
Rowan
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did Rowan Hood. I'm less interested in Lionel and his problems than I am in all things Rowan. However, I do think this could be a really good book for a young person with low self esteem and negative body image. It was nice to see Lionel get some character development.

Lionel is filled with self-loathing because he doesn't want to be the one thing everyone seems to think he should be: a warrior. He is large and strong, but at the same time, meek and sensitive,
G H
Apr 02, 2015 G H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I really liked this sequel to Rowan Hood. I liked how it focused on a different character but Rowan was still in it. I really liked seeing a different perspective and why he was like that. I liked how he was struggling with different things, all related to his Harp playing. I also liked how he changed so much, changed for the better.
Logan
L is really enjoying listening to these on CD. The reader is great. This one wasn't quite as cool as the first one though (Rowan Hood). In the first book, Rowan (daughter of Robin Hood) forms a band of outlaw misfits. Subsequent books focus on each member. This one is about Lionel, the 7-foot-tall minstrel harper whose own father has threatened to kill him for being a coward and a sissy. the story is good and clips right along, but even Logan wanted to scold Lionel for being so whiney and diffic ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
In this sequel to Rowan Hood, we find out more about the feminine minstrel Lionel who is part of Rowan's band. He deals with a father who hates him and his own insecurities.

What I thought: This book certainly puts the medieval era in perspective. Lionel's father disowned him and even goes so far to put a price on his son's head. Why? Lionel, though he is big and strong, would rather play his harp than learn to sword fight. Rowan and her friends certainly turn stereotypes on their heads. Rowan wo
Kate
May 21, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2016
A fun read, although I wasn't quite as interested in Lionel as Rowen.
Adam
Mar 05, 2016 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but it seemed to come to an aburt ending.
Meg
Feb 23, 2014 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, library
A lovely, easy read and a brief nostalgic treat too.
H
Jan 21, 2011 H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun story. I like how it shifted main characters, and how we got to know Lionel and saw what he was really like. I also thought Springer gave him an excellent excuse for why he behaves the way he does--it was very logical and seemed like, in his situation, a good way of dealing with what he wanted versus what his father wanted for him when he was younger. I hope, though, that in the next book we see him nearly completely as he was at the end of this--strong, brave, clear-headed, honest. ...more
Mindy
Jul 21, 2014 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
predictable, but so well written. A nice gentle read for younger audience
Angela
Jun 25, 2013 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kids
I wasn't drawn to this character in the first book of the series, Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest. However, this story, told from Lionel's point of view, was really quite interesting.

Through this adventure Lionel finds his courage in a very remarkable way. The story is a quick read and just the right length in my opinion.
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
Had some nice character development for Lionel, but there wasn't much else going on in the story, really, and lacked a lot of the charm of the first book.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the depiction of Guy of Gisbourne in this series - or of Robin and his men, to be honest. Then again, the only thing I know of Robin Hood is various movies and TV shows. Never did read much in the way of original stories... *shrugs*
Darla
Jul 03, 2012 Darla rated it liked it
(Genre:children's fiction/fantasy) Another installment in Springer's Rowan Hood series that I listened to on CD. Because we were painting over the weekend, I was able to finish it very quickly (and it is a fairly short book). This tale centers on Lionel (a member of Rowan's band) and his past. We learn who he is and how he came to be a wandering minstrel. Very similar to the first book. :)
Susan
Dec 03, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primary, fiction
Lionel was one of Rowan Hood's accidental friends. He was a giant who was anything but agile on his feet. He had the voice of an angel. His words and songs could lull men into almost a trance. Lionel decides to stand up for himself when his father kidnaps Rowan. Interesting book, but I don't think it was as strong as the first in the series. Students will still enjoy the tale.
Jill
This is the 2nd in the Rowan Hood series. I didn't like it as well as the 1st. This is Lionel the harper's story. His father had high hopes for him as a warrior since he is 7 feet tall. Lionel, however, would rather play his harp than fight, which is why his father banished him. With a price on his head, he must stand up to his father when Rowan is taken captive.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 08, 2010 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, midieval
Lionel has always prefered a harp over a sword, so he was chased of by his father and joined Rowan hood and her band. When his father is taken captive by Robin Hood and discovers Lionel he is enraged. And when Rowan is taken hostage the Lion in Lionel is released.

This book was good, focusing on other characters then Rowan.
Meredith
Jan 11, 2010 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
The 2nd Rowan Hood book, this time from the point of view of Lionel. I think this is brilliant. One of the complaints I had about the first book was that I didn't really know any of the characters besides Rowan. So I'm glad that each book focuses on a different character. I really enjoyed getting some insight into Lionel.
Taylor
Jul 21, 2007 Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Another good one from Nancy Springer. More tales of Rowan Hood and her band of clever, gentle, passionate, misfit young people. I am looking forward to reading this series aloud to Arthur when he is a bit older.
Cassondra

Not quite as satisfying as the rest but well written all the same. To see Lionel realize that he wasn't truly a coward but a smart boy evading harm for a particular reason was very satisfying.
Tricia
I like that the series is changing between characters. And while Lionel seemed so whiny and babish in the first book, this one really explains why and you are able to see him grow into his potential.
Jen
Mar 25, 2009 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the series. I liked the first one better. Very very quick read. But there was a spot where I literally found myself comepletely lost and thought, "What?" I don't know. Maybe it was me.
  • The Emerald Princess Plays a Trick (The Jewel Kingdom, #3)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • The Seventh Princess
  • Crown and Jewel
  • Heart of Avalon (Avalon: Web of Magic #10):
  • The Courage to Choose (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #15)
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • Secret Powers (Winx Club)
  • Transformation (Water, #3)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE
More about Nancy Springer...

Rowan Hood (5 books)
  • Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest (Rowan Hood, #1)
  • Outlaw Princess of Sherwood (Rowan Hood, #3)
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
  • Rowan Hood Returns (Rowan Hood, #5)