Start by marking “The Art of Brave” as Want to Read:
The Art of Brave

The Art of Brave

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Brave is Pixar's thirteenth feature film, but it marks two big firsts for the award-winning animation studio. It's Pixar's first feature film driven by a female lead and its first set in an ancient historical period. Against a backdrop of castles, forests, and highlands, Brave follows the fiery Merida as she clashes with the duty of her royal life and embarks on a journey ...more
Published May 31st 2012 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Brave

The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of The Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
3rd out of 147 books — 70 voters
The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of Up by Tim HauserThe Art of Monsters, Inc. by John LasseterThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Pixar by Amid Amidi
The Art of Animation
4th out of 30 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Elevetha
A beautiful look at the art and the making of the movie Brave. Not my favorite of the Art Of books, but still definitely worth a pick-up nonetheless.

Favorite piece was:
and this one too:
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: me
This book was a gift from my wife for our third anniversary earlier this year. It's been sitting on the coffee table for several weeks, and I looked through it a few times, but now I finally took the time to sit down and examine it more closely and read the text. When we saw Brave in the theaters I wasn't blown away exactly, but I think I'll like it better the second time (DVD currently also sitting on the coffee table), and whatever its story or character faults, I couldn't possibly deny that t ...more
Robbie
Apr 03, 2016 Robbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is such a beautiful book and carefully designed. Those Disney Art books are so inspiring!
Brave is definitely my favorite Disney story because it's around love between mother and daughter, instead of a traditional love story between a princess and a prince. Merida is such a strong character fighting for her freedom that to see the development her development since 2005 is wonderful.
Molly
Mar 08, 2015 Molly rated it it was amazing
Loved the movie, loved the art-book.
Artemis
My 150th book review!

Now on to the review itself.

I hadn't read any other 'The Art of --' books before this one. In hindsight I guess I should have, since I love film and animation and researching the behind-the-scenes and thought-processes of what makes a film what it is. It just so happens that on a visit to my old university, the library contained 'The Art of Brave' and no other 'The Art of --' books. Strange. Is it because this particular animation book is so rich in detail in going over the
Parka
Nov 14, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books

(More pictures on my blog)

This is a lovely art book for the movie Brave. This is number 13 for Pixar if anyone's counting.

The book's 160 pages and it's all filled with art and commentary. The concept art is great and you can really feel that everything really fits well together, the characters, the landscape and the stories. There are character designs, environment drawings, sculpts, storyboards and colorscript.

This is Pixar's first period film. The environment designs are a bit dark but that's
Echo
Mar 02, 2013 Echo rated it really liked it
"Brave" is a beautiful movie, so of course a lot of the art in this book is beautiful as well. The art of the Scottish highlands was pretty awesome, as were the photographs taken when the team went to Scotland to study the place, and there were a few fun concept drawings of the characters. I also liked the overall design of this book more than I did the art books for "Tangled" and "The Princess and the Frog."
The text, on the other hand, bored me a little and had me skimming through at times. The
Andy
Jun 10, 2012 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
This a gorgeous book!

Introduced by John Lasseter, and with a forward by the film's co-directors Brenda Chapman and Mark Andrews, The Art Of Brave shows off the superb conceptual art, including storyboards, character studies and environmental art from artists like Steve Pilcher, Noah Klocek, Daniel Lopez Munoz, Mike Mignola and many more, plus sculptures by Greg Dykstra and Andrea Blasich along with gorgeous photos of the behind the scenes process of making the film.

Be warned though, as it featu
Kate
Mar 17, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
A great behind-the-scenes of the animated movie, Brave, from its start to finish. I enjoyed highlight moments especially of the pre-production team. Such as moments where Brenda Chapman and the other fellow artists designed the different characters and landscapes. It really displayed the hard and soft visuals that exist in Scotland's environments. I would have liked to have seen even more early character designs, but they kept it close to the heart of the film. Still I loved the stylization, par ...more
Rachel
Apr 21, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Beautiful book! I was hoping for a bit more character development drawings, but I understand that the landscapes and set dressing were a huge part of the film and deserved a lot of pages.
Jimhokins
Nov 16, 2015 Jimhokins rated it it was amazing
all this disney pixar books are just amazing!!!
Andrea Guerra
Jan 29, 2014 Andrea Guerra rated it it was amazing
Ver las ilustraciones me hacen querer no dibujar tan horrible.
Miss Clark
Jan 17, 2014 Miss Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: art, film

Not my favorite of the art books, but as always, I love to see the artwork and years of collaborative effort that go into creating these films.
Adriana
Nov 23, 2014 Adriana rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
The fact that it contains color scripts, storyboards, character studies, environment art, and sculpts from the production of such an amazing animated feature should more than make up for the fact that it’s lacking some “meat” when it comes to insights and commentary.
I’m aware that this is an art book, but I would have liked a bit more information on what informed the art to accompany the gorgeousness that inspired and created it.
Renee
May 31, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I'm waiting for the movie to come out before I open the book. I don't want to accidentally spoil myself but I already know the book and the movie will be amazing.
____

I saw the movie and it was great! The overall energy of the film was peppier and more wittier than past films. The animation style and story developement reminded me of DreamWorks. I liked Brave (especially Merida's hair - amazing!) and can't wait for the next film :)
Danny
Aug 11, 2015 Danny rated it liked it
Shelves: animation
Lots of sketches and preproduction work for the Pixar movie Brave. The design of the book is similar to previous art books about the Pixar movies. If you've seen any of those, then this one won't be a surprise. If you like preproduction animation art then you definitely won't be disappointed. It's not anything special though and personally I don't like the format of the Pixar animated movies art books.
Yan
Jan 14, 2013 Yan rated it it was amazing
The plot of the movie was not at all what I was expecting from the trailers and movie title but this has got to be one of the nicest Disney Pixar's art-books ! Beautiful environment drawings, color scripts and characters sketches. Every page is filled with whimsy and fun. I love it !
Merary
Jul 02, 2012 Merary rated it it was amazing
You don't have to see the movie (Wait, scratch that! Watch the movie first!) to appreciate the behind the scenes of the designs and story behind Brave.

And believe me when I say the pictures are BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL!
You can't help but stare at them all day!
Ian
Oct 12, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
As gorgeous as any concept art--and therefore, more gorgeous than the movie it resulted in. The text was grating, as it didn't add much to the art or the film's controversial production, and it used "story" as a wholly incoherent buzzword.
Mohamed Mangoulch
Dec 30, 2013 Mohamed Mangoulch marked it as to-read
i think it will be really fantastic book show how it's 2d and 3d art maked and other thinks
i hope win to read this
Josiphine
Feb 22, 2014 Josiphine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nena
Recommended to Josiphine by: Elevetha
So beautiful! This makes me like the Brave movie even more. My favorite Art Of book thus far. I think I want to own it.
Sarah Schanze
Jun 22, 2012 Sarah Schanze rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-related
Gorgeous as all the art was, I felt like there could have been more. I'm glad I didn't read this before seeing the movie, though, because there are spoilers in it. Just something to be aware of!
Nancy
Giuliana: The text was mostly boring, some of it was interesting, and I loved the pictures. You could look at the pictures while listening to an audiobook or music.
τλιϓλ
أعتقد أن عشاق الفيلم سيكونون أسعد الناس بهذا الكتاب
^_^
Jason Cheeseman-meyer
Nov 28, 2012 Jason Cheeseman-meyer rated it really liked it
Got this as a present from a close friend. It's spectacular, but took me ages to get through because my daughters kept stealing it off my night table.
George Seminara
Feb 27, 2016 George Seminara rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book. I love these behind the scenes Disney books. I don't have them all but this one attracted me from the first. Great work!
Zeyabooks
Mar 09, 2013 Zeyabooks rated it liked it
Shelves: art
It was great. five stars if u don't expect certain things. but as I was hoping for more, only 3.
p.s. it's full of spoilers
Kelly K
Nov 05, 2014 Kelly K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, art-of-disney
I was quite surprised there was absolutely no mention of the original title of the film, "The Bear and the Bow".
Kai
Jul 06, 2013 Kai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorite
Beautiful and gorgeous artworks of the environment and the characters. I can't help feeling more and more inspired.
Bonnie
May 09, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Lots of beautiful artwork but at same time, the ones for the color script were too small.
  • The Art of The Princess and the Frog
  • The Art of Wreck-It Ralph
  • The Art of Frozen
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Up
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of Ratatouille
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
  • The Art of the Hunchback of Notre Dame