Start by marking “Orion Rising” as Want to Read:
Orion Rising

Orion Rising

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Michael and Paul fight to survive in a land frozen by endless winter. Will the ice between them thaw once and for all?

Michael Wright has given up thinking he’s anything more than a number-cruncher. When he’s summoned to verify the outcome of renowned meteorologist, Paul Clarkson’s latest research Michael is happy to escape the drudgery of a grey cubicle at the Met Office.

A
Published March 19th 2012 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Orion Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion Rising

Vio
Beautiful stark backdrop and a surprisingly pleasurable romance. I was so not expecting this futuristic bleak outlook, it hooked me in literally. The visuals of the landscape were intense and stunning even with the dark living conditions that had to be endured. Paul and Michael, one's a statistician and the other a scientist don't really have much of a life. Its about work and not much else, they are two very lonely men.

When they meet for the first time, there is an instant and obvious
R.J.
Beautiful, stunning imagery. Hope, fear, rivalry, jealousy and above all love. Recommended read. 4.5/5

Wow.

This was not what I was expecting at all. SA Meade is the author of Stolen Summer which I really enjoyed and I bought this book with certain expectations about standard of writing etc. I didn't even read the blurb. SA is a very good writer (emphasis on the very!). She conjures images in words and builds a world not far in our future very cleverly. Despite the story being set in our near futu
Stephanie
Having loved S. A. Meade's debut STOLEN SUMMER, I couldn't wait to get my hands on her second book. In ORION RISING S. A. Meade draws us into a harsh futuristic Britain facing a new Ice Age -- but things between Michael and Paul sure don't take long to heat right up. I loved how this book is something completely different from S. A.'s debut and never fails to surprise with complex characters, her knack for incredibly lush description and, you got it, really hot sex. Whether you're a fan of SFF o ...more
Josie Goodreads
I loved this book. SA Meade has created a barren world destroyed by climate change. Michael is a weather statistician summoned to Station 17 by Paul, the senior scientist, who wants Michael to verify some facts, something he has discovered that will change the face of the planet. The attraction between Michael and Paul is immediate and SA brings their slowly budding relationship to life wonderfully. Very soon they are both summoned back to London and after just one night together what could be b ...more
Ami

Michael Wright, a weather statistician, is summoned to work at Station 17, to verify the research outcome of renowned meteorologist, Paul Clarkson. Their attraction is built-up in a nice pace (not too fast but not too long either). Unfortunately, before either Michael and Paul can move on to the next step of their relationship, Michael is being summoned back to his old office. Paul decides it's best to cut down ties right there. Two years later, when Michael returns to work at Station 1
Edina Rose
Pleasantly surprised. Another winner by the author of Stolen Summer.

It is well written. The setting is interesting: a frozen planet with toxic rain. The story takes place in England. Paul is a renowned meteorologist and Michael is the best statistician at the Met office, the national weather service.

There is good romance, good angst and good sex.

Warning: One of the heroes is a dickhead.
Serena Yates
Orion Rising is a slightly scary vision of a very possible future, set in the UK of 2035, showing what might happen if ‘eternal winter’ due to global warming becomes a reality. The fact that the story feels so ‘real’ because, while it is sci-fi, the time it talks about is not that far away, makes reading it all the more chilling. If it wasn’t for the heat between the main characters, this could have easily turned into a very glum tale, closer to a prediction than fiction.

Michael is a quiet stati
Vastine Bondurant
Review courtesy of Miz Love Loves Books:

Orion Rising was a first for me. In two regards: My first sci-fi novel, and my first S.A. Meade experience.

I’ll be honest. I hesitated reading it, as I’d never considered myself much of a sci-fi reader. But, then aren’t surprises—those when you find you might actually like something you’d predisposed yourself not to like—happen? Such was the delightful surprise in store when I began reading Orion Rising.

In trying to
Jayhjay
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay

Statistician Michael Wright has just been assigned to the remote Station Seventeen to help confirm the latest weather-related research findings of scientist Paul Clarkson. Paul has determined that the country is facing far worse than the barren, environmentally ravaged wasteland that is Great Britain in 2035. He has found that within two years, temperatures will drop tremendously, bringing the country into the next ice age. In their sho
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Review first published at MM Good Book Reviews

Michael is asked to verify a meteorologist’s findings and as they work together become close, but work separates them. When they meet again, two years later, Paul is cold and hard towards Michael. But, the thaw sets in and they begin again, then disaster strikes. Can Michael tame the storm that is Paul or is the ice to thick?

This is a really well written futuristic science-fiction story that shows a future tha
Leo
The futuristic backdrop could have been explored more thoroughly, but nonetheless it was a decent enough read. It felt a bit rushed in general in character development and plot.
Lady*M

The author has a wonderful writing style, which is why I put all her future books on my reading list. The characters were likable (although I wanted to smack Paul on several occasions), but I felt that the futuristic/apocalyptic setting wasn't sufficiently used. In fact, with very little tweaking, the story could have been set in any extreme environment. I also thought the conflicts between the characters seemed somewhat staged. In short, not as good as Stolen Summer, which was exceptio
Shannon
This was a solid 3 star read for me. Maybe even 3.5 stars. It takes place in a dark, desolate future where acid rain has ruined the land and poeple live in domes. Paul is a meteorolgist and Michael a number cruncher. They meet, almost get together, get separated, meet, get together, get separated then Paul goes missing. They find him, meet, get in a fight, make up, HEA. Interesting world building and a good if not great love story.
Blue Bayou .
Not bad. I didn't get a real feel for both MC's like I did in Stolen Summer. Sad to say I found myself gliding over the sex parts to see what the MC's would say to one another. I'm not overly fond of smushy stuff but a little more depth than 'Oh Michael what you do to me..." would have helped.
Loved this book. Steamy and romantic. My only niggle was that it finished rather suddenly, but in hind sight I realise it finished at exactly the right point in the story, but I think I was just a little keen to hear more from the characters and their situation.
Qi
Mar 30, 2012 Qi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Not horrible, but wow that was boring.
alackofdignity
alackofdignity marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Hellspark72
Hellspark72 marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
texasmoocow
texasmoocow marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Aerulan
Aerulan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Cath
Cath marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Zam
Zam marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm fairly new to this writing lark. Stolen Summer is my first published book, there's another, 'Orion Rising' which will be released in March 2012, by Total E Bound and my latest novel, an m/m contemporary, 'Mourning Jack' will be released by Total E Bound in May 2012. Stay tuned!

I love to write and my characters never leave me alone until their story is told.

To those of you who've taken the tim
More about S.A. Meade...
Stolen Summer Tumbleweed (Love is Always Write) That Good Earth Lord of Endersley (The Endersley Papers, #1) Mourning Jack