Start by marking “Battle Angel Alita, Bd. 1: Rostiger Engel” as Want to Read:
Battle Angel Alita, Bd. 1: Rostiger Engel

Battle Angel Alita, Bd. 1: Rostiger Engel (Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,904 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Auf dem Schrottplatz unterhalb der Himmelstadt Zalem findet der Mechaniker Ido den Kopf eines weiblichen Cyborgs, dessen Gehirn noch intakt ist. In seiner Werkstatt baut er dem Wesen einen reizvollen mechanischen Körper und gibt ihm den Namen Alita...
Published October 1st 2000 by Carlsen Comics (first published September 24th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Battle Angel Alita, Bd. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Angel Alita, Bd. 1

Πέτρος
One of the best action/sci-fi ever made ; hands down. But I bet you have heard that a million times already. Someone telling you title A is the best manga ever and stuff. Well, for all it’s worth, I have read a million comic books and manga and this tops almost everything.

ART SECTION: 10
The setting is post apocalyptic steampunk / cyberpunk and it was made to look splendidly uneasy to the eye. Every area is drawn claustrophobically, dark, dirty and cruel, with machinery ruling the lives of poor a
Nick
Overall Rating: A
Synopsis: Battle Angel Alita tells the story of an amnesiac female cyborg named Alita. Alita's head and upper torso are found in a state of suspended animation by cybermedic/bounty hunter Daisuke Ido while he is searching for useful scrap. After giving her a new body, Alita begins to learn how to live in the Scrapyard, the home of the poor and out-of-luck, who live in the shadow of the floating city of Tiphares, where the rich live. Although she has no memory, Alita soon realize
Tim Chang
easily in the top 5 sci-fi manga series of all time (along w/ Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and Macross/Robotech) -- techno-punk at its best, featuring over-the-top cybernetic martial arts and gorgeously intricate artwork
Mars Dorian
Classic cyberpunk thriller with minimal dialogue, beautifully drawn action sequences and an oppressive atmosphere.

Reminds me of the Japanese version of Terminator / Alien -- a dystopian world without states but financial interests and cyborgs WITHOUT Austrian accents.

I devoured the book in one sitting and look forward to reading the next one.

If you like Manga and sci-fi, give this classic a shot.

Andrea
I haven't read hardly any manga but I have seen a fair amount of anime. To me, this would have worked better as a tv show, rather than a manga. There was a LOT of action scenes, some where I found it difficult to tell what was happening, and a little story. I was hoping that there would be more story - maybe in subsequent volumes - who was Alita? Where did she come from? That sort of thing. But no. Oh well. A nice light read.
Mayank Agarwal
Loved the manga, great story, visuals and pacing, finished reading the series in one go. There is never a dull moment, all the arcs are interesting and added to the story. Haven’t seen so much of meaningful character development as we see for Alita the Battle Angel, also all the side characters are solid having some meaning to the story flow and are not there just as filler. The world making is excellent with the dystopia, futuristic cyber punk theme. The action sequences and the philosophical s ...more
Honey
May 17, 2015 Honey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the cover
Title: Battle Angel Alita: Rusty Angel
Author: Yukito Kishiro
Series: Battle Angel Alita, Volume One (collects comics 1-8)
Genre: Manga
Setting: A postapocalyptic United States, with lots of cyborgs.
Reason for Reading: This is book 15 of my 50 book challenge! I read this one specifically because I got it in the book swap I hosted this weekend, and I've been wanting to try more manga.
Relevance to the Project: I learned a few interesting things on this read. Most manga is printed to be read right to
John-Michael
It is taking a very long time to read this series. Not because it's deep or confounding or anything, but because I like it too damn much. Every time I get done another book, a little piece of me gets sad that I'm done with this part of the story, and it takes me some to prepare myself to pick up the next book, because when I am done with that one, that part of the story will be over and I'll be a little sad for that.

What I'm trying to say here is that the story is very filling. Kishiro does a g
David
My first love in manga. I began reading this series back in high school and was blown away by its dark, sometimes sadistic take on a post-apocalyptic future. Known in Japan as "Gun Dreams", the main character Alita (Gally in Japan) is by far one of my favorite female protagonists and one of my favorite protagonists of all time.

Set in the Scrapyard, a sprawling city that lives off the refuge of the sky-city Tipahres, the first book in this nine-volume series sees Doc Ido finding the remains of a
YuriAndrogynopov
One of the most striking cyberpunk art styles ive seen and i dont think anyone will ever forget the first panel of Alita's head being brought back to life.

Fairly tightly paced but a little loose later on in the book the series manages to keep a good variety of storylines going while eventually building up to its make arc of what the fuck is happening in Tiphares.

The Setting itself makes good use of ambiguity and for the first few chapters revels in making the city and scrapyard an anomaly in unf
Hannah
Battle Angel Alita follows Alita, a humanoid robot dug up and restored by the scientist Ido, as she discovers her powers as a hunter-warrior.

This was an interesting one. I found this graphic novel on the library shelf while searching for some good mangas to read for the Shoujo Manga Book Club's So-Many-Manga Challenge. It's a dark, futuristic cyberpunk, a cross between A.I., Real Steel, and Astroboy. There's no other way to put this:

It. Was. Awesome.

It was gory and violent and disturbing, and th
Brian
Another of my favourite manga series that initially got me interested in Japanese manga and anime, Battle Angel Alita is another classic Japanese manga from the early 1990s.

This series tells the story of an amnesiac female cyborg named Alita, whose head and upper torso are found in a state of suspended animation by cybermedic/bounty hunter Daisuke Ido while he is searching for useful scrap, and follows her as she recovers her past.

After Ido builds her a new body, Alita begins to learn how to liv
Nate D
Feb 09, 2013 Nate D marked it as read-in-2013  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japan
I have to wonder who curates comics for the Bowdoin college library, where, if you've been following my recent reading, I've been semi-snowed in (well into my hometown of Brunswick, Maine) for a few days. The whole comics selection made up only a couple shelves of one dimly lit bookcase, and yet, there's an entire nine-volume run of this particular manga tucked in there. Which was pretty great as I've heard this talked up in a couple very different places. And so rapidly read the first volume.

I
Fill Marc
I was interested in reading this book knowing that James Cameron was going to adapt it into a film before he decided to make Avatar. The story is simple and lends itself to be a James Cameron adaptation with a empowered female protagonist and a Terminator-like threat as a villain. It's not hard to imagine. It was a very quick read. The book is thick with action but very light on story and lacks depth in character development. I'd like to know more about Alita's backstory and also why she needs t ...more
Erik
My first manga book! Not bad, not bad. I was told to start with this book because the series has an end (otherwise, I'd be committing to a lifetime of endless manga sequels, something that I guess turns some folks off to manga altogether). I'll go ahead and label this as slightly above young adult but not full bore adult in nature. The illustration style was actually quite good and very imaginative, and the story was unique if not overly challenging. All in all, a cool, easy introduction to mang ...more
Ubalstecha
One day, Daisuke Ido finds the head of a cyborg in the trash heap. Being a cybernetic doctor, he takes the head home and builds it a matching body. At first the cyborg, whom he names Alita, is like a sister or a child to him, but she comes to the rescue when Daisuke is attacked, he realizes that she may be more than that.

This first volumes gives you the introduction to the Alita story, including the concept that Alita and Daisuke's world is ruled by corporations. It also gives us plenty of battl
Michael Loder
Superb art work and deeply-drawn characters make this a manga well worth reading again and again. However, this is a manga that seems to never end. The first nine volumes pretty much closed out the mystery of Alita's past and allowed the restoration of her humanity. But there have been eleven volumes (I think) since then. This could prove to be a deep drain on anyone's wallet.
The future world is fully-realized with humans and cyborgs and robots in a never-ending dance of life and death. Alita, a
Fliegenpilzchen
My first manga series and a love of mine! The first time I read it was over ten years ago. Next time I read it I will write a wholehearted review :)
Yufan
Ivon
Gambarnya luar biasa bagus. Cerita standar, tapi cukup bagus untuk masanya. Recommended untuk pecinta komik aksi dan sci-fi.
Ethan
The story of a female cyborg (Alita) who is found in the scrapyard in the far future. A city above the clouds suspended by a titanic arm attached to an unseen satellite dumps their garbage on the people who live below in a town where only the fittest survive. I finished it the day I got it and I'm rereading it. It's a great read if you like manga, but don't read it if you want an uplift. Kishiro writes his classic manga story with a heavy dose of Shakespeare-esque tragedy in a world where life i ...more
Ashish
Classic manga, with sound effects and motion lines accounting for over half of all available space - but once you get used to it, a very kinetic, fast, hard-hitting, but familiar tale. Warrior prodigy foundling is discovered and reared by kind-hearted elderly father figure, trained to perfect skills on top of natural talent, and vanquishes common enemy. The delivery mechanism and setting is unique, though - a little Real Steel, a little Blade Runner, and a tiny little bit of Hellblazer thrown in ...more
Megan
this series is my favorite manga series preeeeetty much ever. the story is very well thought out, and when it tries to be deep, i felt it succeeded instead of coming off as something corny and campy because it's a 'comic'. kishiro's art is a little off at first, but watching him settle down with the characters and how drawing them and their expressions, etc. became second nature is a wonderful part of following the story. it's sci-fi meets dystopia meets grunge meets romance meets a ton of other ...more
Isabelle
Excellent cyberpunk story!
Tintaglia
Serie completa.
Mips
Gesprekje op kerstdag...

- 'Wat lees jij zoal tegenwoordig?'
- 'Wel...euh...'k weet niet zeker of dit je echt ligt :)'
- 'Toe, toe...'
- 'Nou euh...die Makaku, da's dus een aan endorfines verslaafd monster dat mensen scalpeert en hun hersenen opzuigt en ...'
- 'Juist ja, laat maar...'
- '... dat was enkel de inleiding; ook een aperitiefhapje?'

*** : maar wat een dynamiek & snelheid kunnen die Japanners toch in hun tekeningen leggen!!! Hoedje af! (al blijf ik fan van Death Note)
Chris
Since the next volume of Death Note is checked out of the library, I decided to grab some other manga and see if some of the "better" stuff is any good -- believe it or not, even as a comic/sci-fi nerd I've always avoided Manga.

And this is book is why. Confusing and messy layout, stories that revolve around leaping in the air and decapitating something, and generic sci-fi setting. Ho hum. Not terrible, and if I was 11 I'd probably love it.
Mark
This graphic novel is an inspired sci-fi exploration of humanity and humanoid artificial intelligence. The story follows the exploits of Alita, a deadly yet naive female robot fighter, and her savior/mentor who rescued her from a scrap heap. The story is scheduled to be the basis of James Cameron's next gigantic film (aside from an Avatar sequel). I trust Cameron to know a good story when he sees one.
Ginny
Apr 01, 2010 Ginny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intelligent people,sci-fi lovers,manga readers
I have not exaggerated by saying that Battle Angel Alita is the best manga I've read.it's one of a kind,and to intelligent people ,Yukito Kishiro has properly served his purpose: critisizing our today world in bitter humor and undeniable genius.it tells the story of the never ending battle of kind heart against ignorant cruelty, in the hands of a heroin, A battle Angel named Alita.
Manga Manga Manga: Battle angel Alita 2 5 Mar 06, 2015 12:41AM
James Cameron is turning Battle Angel Alita into a movie!! 8 25 Apr 03, 2013 09:51AM
  • Appleseed, Vol. 1: The Promethean Challenge
  • Blame!, Vol. 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 1
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #1)
  • Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 03
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)

Battle Angel Alita / Gunnm (9 books)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 03: Killing Angel
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 07: Angel Of Chaos (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 09: Angel's Ascension
Battle Angel Alita, Volume 02: Tears of an Angel Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita) Battle Angel Alita, Volume 03: Killing Angel Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)