Start by marking “Women Scorned” as Want to Read:

Women Scorned

After Camilla is murdered, an ancient spirit possesses her, to use her body as its tool of vengeance. Tortured by visions of murdered women, she is thrust into a world of terror as she seeks a way to rid herself of the nightmare she has become.

Her dead
Published April 13th 2012 by JournalStone (first published April 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Women Scorned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Scorned

Christopher Payne
Feb 19, 2012 Christopher Payne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journalstone

Her dead flesh hungers however for a substance that only exists on the breaths of criminals. Their tortured souls fill her, complete
Apr 21, 2012 Monique rated it it was ok
Sadly, this book is all promise, no delivery. Unless you're a huge fan of gore flicks (take your pick of any movies that are gory just for the sake of putting as much fake blood on screen as possible), you probably won't care too much for this one. It's got all of the usual cliches: raped women (*yawn* Really, we're going there? The most common "my female character needs an interesting back-story" trope?), mysterious cult with robes & vague Satanic trappings, serial killers upon whom we can ...more
Hal Bodner
May 16, 2012 Hal Bodner rated it did not like it
Ye gods, what a mess!

This book is a disaster on so many levels. There are one or two truly interesting ideas in it but they remain inchoate, struggling to emerge from a mish mosh of a novel that never seems to figure out what it's supposed to be.

For the most part, the actual writing isn't bad. At least Alsaleem knows how to construct a sentence. But the story itself, an amalgamation of a semi-zombie plot, an ersatz "epic" dealing with secret societies with High Priests and Priestesses (who appa
Cassie McCown
Feb 24, 2012 Cassie McCown rated it it was amazing
By: Angela Alsaleem
ISBN: 9781936564385
Expected Publication: April 13, 2012 by JournalStone
Available Format: Hardcover, Paperback, ebook

My Rating:

The publisher includes this disclaimer in its synopsis: This book is intended for adults and contains extreme violence, torture and graphic murder scenes. You have been forewarned. For some, this just serves to pique your curiosity even further, but if any of those things bother you, do NOT take this warning lightly because it is very, ver
The Haunted Reading Room  [#VoteCthulhu Why Choose the Lesser Evil?]
May 18, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room [#VoteCthulhu Why Choose the Lesser Evil?] rated it it was amazing
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: may-2012-reads
I would classify this book under the sub-genre “bizarre” rather than strictly as horror. At its heart hides a covert “Order,” founded some three hundred years earlier by a young student who had lost his beloved to death. Taking refuge in a hidden cave to grieve, he was contacted by the “Dark Lord,” and given orders, dreams, and visions. Over the course of three centuries, his beloved Eve’s spirit has been transmitted over and over again into new bodies, each body after the first being his own ch ...more
Pam K.
Jun 03, 2012 Pam K. rated it it was amazing
I received this book through the Librarything Early Reveiwers Program.

Starting with the rape/murder of a young woman by a cop, this story never loses it's pacing or fails to keep the reader engrossed and turning the pages. After the cop leaves her, Camilla comes back to life and goes looking for help......(Or does she really?) Why can nobody see her all bloody and hurt?... Why won't they help her?
When Libitina Flesher steals a body from a morgue to study, she finds the body is the undead. Think
Apr 26, 2012 Kimberley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all horror fans
Angela Alsaleem's debut novel, Women Scorned, is a surprisingly imaginative and gripping read. It is, at turns, gory, disturbing, twisted, and weird, but one thing it is definitely ISN'T is dull! I was hooked from the first page, and just couldn't put it down. The characters are strange (in a good way), and the plot is one of the most inventive of anything I've read in a long while. Alsaleem takes some of the most classic horror conventions (zombies, ghosts, satanic cults) and turns them on thei ...more
I received this book for free from library thing.

I'm gonna have to DNF this book. The violence against the women was too much for me. And that is saying a lot because I'm the queen of gore. I felt this book drug on and on and on, not really going anywhere and could have been cut in half and still get the message out there.
Apr 07, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ultra-violent, gory horror
Recommended to Katy by: Christopher Payne
Book Info: Genre: Horror Reading Level: Adult Early Reviewer’s copy, book available 4/13/12

Disclosure: I received a free eBook copy of this of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer’s giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: This book is intended for adults and contains extreme violence, torture and graphic murder scenes. You have been forewarned.

May 29, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This book, in a word, was weird. I am torn as to whether or not it was the good or bad variety.

There are three important characters in this book. Camilla is a young woman who is raped and left for dead. Unable to understand why people aren't helping her- indeed, why most can't seem to see her at all- she soon realizes she has an almost instinctual taste for the breath spirits of men who have brutally killed women. She is the protagonist of the tale. Libitina is one of the only people who can see
David Watson
Aug 04, 2012 David Watson rated it really liked it
Women Scorned by Angela Alsaleem from Journalstone books is for hard core horror fans. The story follows a woman named Camilla who was just murdered, now an ancient spirit possesses her, using her as a tool of vengeance. Tortured by visions of murdered women, she is thrust into a world of terror as she seeks a way to rid herself of the nightmare she has become.

Camilla is still trapped in her body but has no control. In order to live she feeds off of a substance that is on the breath of criminals
Jul 29, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Women Scorned by Angela Alsaleem is a quick, furious and frightful read.I Woman Scorned is about a murdered woman named Camilla. After she is murdered an ancient spirit named Rory possesses her. The spirit uses Camilla as tool of vengeance for murdered women. Camilla's dead flesh hungers for a substance that only exists on the breath of criminals.

A secret cult in need of the Rory spirit sends their chosen to capture Camilla. The spirit inside Camilla's body is their key to unlocking the secrets
Aug 13, 2012 Claire rated it it was ok
I received this book through the book giveaways on Goodreads. When I first read the synopsis of this story, it sounded intriguing, but the actual story didn't live up to my expectations. This book had a lot of potential as far as the story line went, but it fell short. There were too many scenes with Camilla just wandering around. And I was highly disappointed that she never got revenge on her own murderer. Aludra was probably the most insane character ever. She made me sick to my stomach. I lik ...more
Vauna Kracht
Feb 24, 2012 Vauna Kracht rated it it was amazing
I read this book and all I can say is wow, I don't think I have ever read a book that has pulled me in so fast. I felt like hands came out of the book and held me there till I was finished, I stayed up all night to read this book in one sitting.
I felt if I put the book down I would be letting something bad happen, I had to keep reading to make sure things came out right. one thing I like about this author is not everything comes out good in the end. more like real life.
after I read this book I
Tiffani Erickson
Aug 03, 2014 Tiffani Erickson rated it it was amazing
I'm almost speechless. This book was one I won in a giveaway and I'm so glad I did. So graphic and detailed and keeps me on my toes and at the edge of my seat. I enjoyed it and loved how there were some parts that made me cringe a little. That is a first reaction like that I have ever gotten out of a graphic novel. Angela did a wonderful job of making me feel the characters and pity them, hate them, encourage them, and ultimately question their motives and actions. Everything pieced together per ...more
Aug 01, 2012 Bmquiram rated it really liked it
I received this book as a good reads first reads winner. Thank you.
I have to start by saying I read the warning/disclaimer stating there is graphic murder sense in this story. I assumed it would not be that bad, and decided to read it. If you do not enjoy this type of writing this story is not for you. It took me by surprise how graphic the murders were even after having read the warning.
I do believe the murder scenes add to the readers understanding of the characters, their motivation, and th
Debbie Heaton
Apr 05, 2012 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it
Camilla is possessed after being brutally murdered, awaking with a taste for revenge—for herself and all mistreated, abused, and murdered women. Tormented by visions, she seeks out her victim’s one at a time. But a dark cult bent on intertwining the living world with the evil, is seeking out the spirit that has possessed her. Stuck in the middle is Libitina, a struggling pathology student who is the only thing standing in the way of the cult and the demon horde waiting on the other side.

Women Sc
Nov 29, 2015 justablondemoment marked it as early-review-copy
ummmm...I'm kinda in shock here. Do I enjoy horror and can I handle very graphic even as some reviews put it (gory) scenes. Yes, doesn't bother me at all. I'm one of those Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw movie fanatics. However, this book keep me teetering on the this is just a bit to much for me see-saw. I of it worked and parts didn't I just could never get the feeling of it all coming together in a way that made the vulgarity work. Unlike story's of say the "Saw" movies it all com ...more
Cassaundra Aunna
May 17, 2012 Cassaundra Aunna rated it did not like it
The book had everything it needed to make a good story, but the way it was written was boring to me. It was very hard to get through. The story line was really good, just needed to have more too it maybe? Just couldn't get into it.

I won this book on Goodreads First Reads.
Shay Williams
Apr 09, 2012 Shay Williams rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Not recommended. Rather then feeling a sense of horror I had to keep from rolling my eyes at the ridiculous character names and the mangled sentances.
Roberta Eagleston
Doesn't even rate a star, it is so bad!
Angela Alsaleem
Feb 27, 2012 Angela Alsaleem rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Women Scorned is, by far, the most twisted work I have ever completed (not to say that my other works aren't dark and disturbing as well). When people read this, or hear what it's about, they look at me with utter confusion and say,"But you're so nice." I have a hard time not laughing.

Do horror writers need to be cruel and psychotic to write this way? I sure hope not, because I've loved the genre since I could remember.

With Women Scorned I made it a point to tackle the concept of revenge and whe
♥ Amanda
May 07, 2012 ♥ Amanda rated it it was ok
I won a copy of Women Scorned from Librarything. I had a hard time getting into it, maybe because the content, maybe because I was a bit confused. The writing style is good, but I think the plot wasn't my cup of tea. It starts out with Camilla getting raped/murdered, then somehow she "wakes" back up and starts wandering around. She's being pursued by Alundra, who was born for the soul purpose of uniting the 2 halves of the Rory spirit, which in turn would allow all the angry and tormented souls ...more
Sarra Lord
May 07, 2012 Sarra Lord rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copy, 2012, horror
Library Thing Review Copy.

This book moves really slowly and is also slow to engage the reader. There are a lot of repetitive details and even though I'm a fan of the gruesome horror genre I just wasn't interested enough in Camilla's plight. I prefer there be more plot interspersed in my gore. I was disappointed as the write-up on Early Reviewers sounded super interesting. Having said all that I'd be interested in reading a future work from the author in the hopes that they improve with practice.
Apr 16, 2012 Marnie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those that love slasher/gore
Recommended to Marnie by: Won in a Goodreads giveaway.
I had a difficult time with this book (which I received in a Goodreads giveaway.) I was excited to read this book as I love horror/gore/scary thrillers but was a tad disappointed. I wanted more frightening segments but it was mostly slash and gore. It was almost as if I was reading it for the shock value and not the content which is a shame as the idea behind the story was a good one. I’d like to read more from the author as she grows with the hope that I lay in bed one night reading her book af ...more
Apr 20, 2012 Tona rated it liked it
I won this book through a LibraryThing giveaway.

Take the disclaimer seriously with this book. It was gory and very detail orientated with its torture scenes. I had to skip over some of the scenes.

Camilla is a woman who is raped and killed but move on. She turns into a vengeful spirit who wanders looking for men who have hurt women. She takes her revenge on them by stealing their spirit. The story doesn't end there. There are many twists to this book with each more gory than the last.
Jul 06, 2012 Tialisa rated it really liked it
The synopsis drew me in to this book. I was intrigued and mesmerized by all the characters. They were all so quirky and dynamic. The journey to the hospital was amazing and I had the book as my constant companion until I finished it. It's normally not a book I would read but I can't say I disliked it.
May 29, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
This was a weird book. I liked the story line in the beginning but then once it got into the ancient spirits and all that I became confused and couldn't keep what was going on straight.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Danny Gutierrez
Danny Gutierrez rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2012
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • The Donors
  • Jokers Club
  • Contrition
  • Pazuzu's Girl
  • Shaman's Blood
  • Cemetery Club
  • Imperial Hostage (Destruction, #1)
  • Dead Reflections
  • The One We Feed
  • Steel Breeze
  • Revelation
  • One Blood
  • Special Dead (Twice Shy, #2)
Angela Alsaleem resides in Gridley, California with her wonderful and super supportive husband, her beautiful daughter, and two happy dogs.

By day, she works as a Documents Administrator for a pension firm. By night, she writes dark speculative fiction.

Angela Alsaleem is the author of Sanitarium, released in March, 2011. She’s had over 20 stories published in the last few years and looks forward to
More about Angela Alsaleem...