Start by marking “The Future We Left Behind (Point 4, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Future We Left Behind (Point 4, #2)

The Future We Left Behind (Point 4 #2)

Thousands of years in the future the divide between humanity and technology has become nearly unrecognizable. Each thought, each action is logged, coded, backed up. Data is as easily exchanged through the fiber-optic-like cables that extend from fingertips as it might be through ordinary conversation. It's a brave new world: A world that the Straker Tapes say is a result o ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by EgmontUSA (first published May 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Future We Left Behind, please sign up.

Jessica Manchester This is also called The Future We left Behind. I know, weird. I am currently borrowing it from my library and it has the same blurb.

Mike Lancaster
Dec 09, 2014 Mike Lancaster rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In joint first place with 0.4 (Human.4) as the best book I have ever written.
Matt
Sep 20, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5

This series is actually relatively solid science fiction, me like.
Ruth Turner
Sep 10, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first book, but it's still an excellent read.

I was just a little disappointed that it didn't pick up where 0.4 left off.

Uh oh. I've just discovered there's no book 3. Bummer! I really HATE that.
Yusreen
Jun 03, 2013 Yusreen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
like the first book, interesting theory but shitty writing.
Amy Sturgis
As the sequel to a young adult dystopian book I truly loved (Human.4), this novel had big shoes to fill. I had my doubts as the book opened, but I soon realized they were misplaced. This story delivers, absolutely.

Set a millenia after Human.4, 1.4 brilliantly folds the previous novel into its "mythos" while offering new characters and raising the stakes for their conflict. As the two young protagonists uncover the mysteries of the pending "upgrade" to humanity, and their parents' relationship to
Dark Faerie Tales
Jan 05, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Lancaster shows us that technology isn’t all that its cracked up to be.

Opening Sentence: The story of Peter Vincent might easily have never been heard.

Review:

Technology plays an integral part of our lives. In The Future We Left Behind, the follow up book to Mike A. Lancaster’s Human.4, Lancaster takes us on a futuristic look at the differences between humanity and technology. I was really excited when I received this book. I love it when the
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

At 21, you're scheduled to to get married. A list with candidates will be given to you and one will simply make it shortlisted to three, when you will finally announce your engagement. Peter's world is a lot more advanced than the straker's world. For one, people have filaments which extend from their body and act as a port to send and receiv
Harrison Fowler
Dec 20, 2012 Harrison Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The problem I have with reviewing books I give 100% is that I don't have much to say.

I'd say 1.4, the sequel to the amazing 0.4, is much different. It's almost a stand-alone, except for references and plot points you need to know from its predecessor. 1.4 has a great attention to detail, and a much grander scope than 0.4, not meaning better, just meaning it has a different goal in mind. While all those hings are great, its characters are lacking. The protagonist, Peter Vincent, is a very normal
Lily
Dec 26, 2013 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tyler
Mar 16, 2013 Tyler rated it really liked it
This book was a little disappointing when compared to Human.4. It took me till about halfway through before I really got into it. This was a super fast read for me, only took about a couple of hours. The characters were a little weak for me but the premise and plot were really good. I loved the ending of this book. (view spoiler) I would recommend this to anyone that likes a sci-fi thriller.
Stacy
Apr 10, 2013 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I liked the first one but this far surpasses it. I read it in one sitting, with barely a break for dinner. I'm amazed by the author's ability to invent and use alien technology in such a matter of fact and easy manner. I'm looking forward to book 3!
Sydneyjung
Feb 28, 2013 Sydneyjung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sci-fi books, actually one of the best BOOKS i've picked up and read in a long time. Finished it in a day, I couldn't even put it down. I don't think i've ever read a book so fast.
MJ
Actual title of this book: The Future We Left Behind, #2 in Point 4.

A worthy sequel to Human.4.

But where's the 3rd book???
Thadeus
Jul 23, 2016 Thadeus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You think the world is one way, and you believe it for your whole life, and then something happens and shows you that you were wrong; the ground you thought was solid is made of ice, and it’s melting away beneath you. You deal with it how you can. That’s all any of us do."

Source: LinkData\LinkDiary\Live\Thadeus_Granada31\Book_Reviews

Introduction
1.4 isn't exactly a sequel of the first book, 0.4. Instead, it's set millennia after the Millgrove revelation or the (view spoiler)
Simcha Lazarus
Imagine that you are a kid living at home (unless you are a kid living at home, in which case just go with it) and your parents tell you to get in the car because they have somewhere special to take you. The last time your parents sprang a surprise trip on you, you ended up at the amusement park so you're really excited. You get in the car and your father (let's assume he's at the wheel) starts driving.

He drives and drives and you notice that you have passed-by the turnoff to the amusement park,
Ashley
Mar 15, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hey, guys! So, earlier this week I discovered that Human.4 (which I read like three years ago and absolutely loved) has a sequel, and I've been oblivious about it since 2012! Needless to say, I was beyond exited! I practically stormed the library to check the book out and then finished it in basically a day. It was great, the book before it was great, and you should read both.

The Cover:
It shows a mechanical bee (I know it doesn't look like a bee but trust me) flying near a person's head. These
Ruhama
Jan 24, 2013 Ruhama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Peter Vincent's life takes a drastic turn when he signs up for a literature course (instead of another science course) for the new semester. His father, who created the artificial bee that saved the world, would never approve. But Peter is enjoying the assigned reading and has found his usual ways of thinking challenged. Then he meets Alpha, who challenges his thinking even further: she's a Strakerite. This is a group of people much like a Luddite--a fringe group that believes technology only ha ...more
Elicia Cheah
Jan 05, 2013 Elicia Cheah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot... in the review archive.

Detailed Review: This book has so many surprises! Honestly that just managed to blow my head off a few times!

I didn't get to read the first book in the series but this book itself also works as a standalone.

Would you want to know how it feels like when your memories are tampered by an unknown person? Because this is what happens to the people in the book, including the main character, Peter. What if
Jen Blackham
This book really shouldn't be by Mike A Lancaster, because wasn't he the "editor" of the book "Human.4" ... and that was written 1000 years before this one. Explain that! Maybe it's his great, great, great ... grandson by the same name. *Ü* Unlike the first book, the editor(author) doesn't talk to the reader, although the text is diary entries, which is similar to the format of the transcribed tapes in Human.4.

While this could be considered a sequel, the first book in the series doesn't just lea
sh(e)reader
The first book in this series left me with SO many unexplained questions, and I can't say that this really cleared anything up, but it was a good read. This isn't so much a sequel, it doesn't pick up where the last book left off, in fact the first book IS a book referred to by the characters in this one, like they have read it, just as we have. It's on the required reading list for the literature class in fact :)

In some of the other reviews, people note they didn't even realize (or realise, as i
Claire
Jan 20, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh...

Didn't realize that it was the second book in the series. Wish I could've started with the first.

And may I say, kudos to you, Mike Lancaster. You've written one heck of a book--my head is still struggling to wrap around all the plot twists.

Basically, we're now an upgraded society. We have something called the Link, and it's every sci-fi writer's dream--we're all connected electronically, we have little wire/cable thingys to communicate and stuff, and you have to read the book to fully get i
Leo  E-M
Feb 12, 2013 Leo E-M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Straker Tapes were recorded many years ago and although the records have survived there are those who believe that these events/myths are hoaxes, dreams with no scientific proof to back up these claims.
The Link has existed for as long as anyone can remember. It connects us all to each other with little more than a thought, it stores our memories, records our thoughts our life contains it defines who we are and the world we live in. But the Link is not limitless and not unable to be hacked. M
Ariel Cummins
There isn't a whole lot of pure sci-fi in YA today, which is why I think this book really shines. It's got a really interesting premise that builds on Human.4 in a pretty unique way. The characters were, in general, pretty well formed, and I think Peter's world was hinted in ways that made it feel rich and full without having too much exposition or explanation.

I will definitely be checking out further books in this series, although I'm curious to see where the author could take it from here.

Defi
Chris S.
Jan 01, 2013 Chris S. rated it it was amazing
The Future We Left Behind is definitely a worthy sequel to Human.4, and the repetitive plot didn't bother me in the least. I think it was used to illustrate the fact of the inevitability of the whole thing. Nevertheless, I would like to see a break in the plot by book three, which will probably be about a certain diary mentioned in this book.

What I liked was the symbolism, as I thought the "Greatorex" surname mentioned might mean "greater Rex, i.e., the greater king. Also, "del Rey" means "of h
Karl
Mar 01, 2014 Karl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/5

Can't believe I've been a slow poke reader these days! hahaha.. Again tons of work, lots of stress and distractions made me stray away from my books. This would be my last book I guess for the month.

Now for the book ---

I felt it was more engaging than the first one.. but the ending its a blah for me.. I wished it was more stellar than I had hoped for it to end.

Truth be told, the book can be finished in one sitting.

"The future does not belong to the weak. To the cowardly. It belongs to people
Erikka
Nov 16, 2014 Erikka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopia, 2013
(In America, it's called "The Future Left Behind"). Did you ever find a book you can't read fast enough? Like you need the ability to read twice as fast because it's just that fully engrossing? Or a book that is so unpredictable and has so many plot twists that you give up hypothesizing and just enjoy the ride? This is one of those, as was Human.4. If you like sci-fi, are a Doctor Who fan, or want the crap scared out of you so you never want to touch a computer ever again, read these books. You ...more
Ricky
Somehow even more satisfying than Human.4, this book is guaranteed to keep your attention right down to the final moments. Even though it's a very distant sequel, it still feels very closely connected to its predecessor, mostly because of the presence of Strakerists who are ostracized for their beliefs. This book doesn't seem to want to end, and I didn't want to end this one either, but alas all good things must come to an end, as we all know.
Lauren
Aug 07, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading 0.4, which I enjoyed with it's different writing style, I decided to take a leap into the world of 1.4.

I delightfully found this book just as entertaining as the first and read to whole thing from back to front in a short amount of time. I found the lists and notes a fruitful addition to the diary entries of the main character.

I was however confused a little by the ending as it left everything open in my opinion. That may have been the authors intention. Needless to say, if a foll
Ellen
Jan 07, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter lives in a future when every thought can be recorded in virtual diaries, which makes for an interesting first person narration as he relates his growing awareness that all is not right in the world. From the automated bees to the vague history of Strakerites, he discovers a sinister world of technological intervention that threatens all humans. It fell apart a little for me in the end, but overall, a good read!
Nayuna
Aug 08, 2013 Nayuna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some authors can be really creative with writing. I think the author if this book is one of those talented people. I LOVED the writing style and format.
Something about this book kept me focused and absorbed in the story. :) amazing
I didn't read the first book, Human.4, but this book was pretty much enough for me to guess what book #1 was about.

• Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2)
  • Rebellion (Tankborn, #3)
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • Shift (Shift, #1)
  • Feedback (Variant, #2)
  • Forever a Stallion
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • The Demon Catchers of Milan
  • Hold On
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Lucretia and the Kroons
  • Colonization (Paradise Reclaimed, #1)
  • Aurora (Exodus, #3)
  • Mapmaker
  • Tremor (Pulse, #2)
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
  •  Magisterium

Point 4 (2 books)
  • Human.4 (Point 4, #1)

“Dreams so often become nightmares. Family can so easily become foes. And people are always more stupid than you give them credit for.” 17 likes
“There's actually no point in following in another's footsteps TOO exactly, you'll end up leaving no tracks of your own.” 3 likes