Start by marking “Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)” as Want to Read:
Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)

Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations #5-6)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,030 Ratings  ·  1,129 Reviews
A FORCED WEDDING. A DOUBLE EXECUTION. TWO THIEVES HAVE OTHER PLANS.

The New Empire intends to celebrate its victory over the Nationalists with a day that will never be forgotten. On the high holiday of Wintertide, they plan to execute two traitors (Degan Gaunt and the Witch of Melengar) as well as force the Empress into a marriage of their own design. But they didn’t accoun
Published January 2012 by Hachette Digital

To ask other readers questions about Heir of Novron, please sign up.

Michael Personally, I think you could...important things from "past books" are brought up. But those are comments made in passing and not fully explained. In…morePersonally, I think you could...important things from "past books" are brought up. But those are comments made in passing and not fully explained. In my opinion, to fully experience what came before you should read the other books first.(less)

Katerina
Jan 27, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I've been looking at my computer screen for a while,trying to find the proper words to describe Heir of Novron,but as it turns out I can't form coherent thoughts.Epic?Too cliché.Mind-blowing?Obviously.Extraordinary?Duh.Magnificent?Of course.Outstanding?Sure.
I will ask you to allow me to be extravagant for once.Yes I am the girl who gets overly excited with almost everything she reads,who loves 90% of the books she so proudly admires in her bookselves,but this one,it's...different.It's sacred.It'
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

How many of you have read a series and loved everything about it only to get to the last book and be completely disappointed?

*raises hand*

So many times that has happened to me, especially when I’ve read books back to back and I get to the end an stuff from the last book doesn’t even fit in with stuff from the first book…I mean it does fit if you’ve had a drink or three and look at it while standing on your head trying to balance a set of plates with you feet. But, not on a normal Tuesday.

Well ha
Conor
Nov 26, 2014 Conor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, riyria

Humour, tragedy, action, drama, adventure. This one had it all. After a patchy start in book 1 this omnibus has fully realized the development of this series into one of my all-time favourites. Heir of Novron featured an awesome cast of diverse, likeable characters with the protagonists from the previous books returning along with many of the great supporting characters. While the plot was in many ways a typical fantasy epic it was written masterfully and the tension remained high due to Sulliva
Jonathan

I claim The Way of Kings, Part One and The Way of Kings Part Two as my favourite book read this year. However this novel would certainly have to be up the top as another of my favourite books read in 2012. Isn't it nice to know that when the world ends in December cough I'll at least have read some great books.

In my reviews for Theft of Swords and Rise of Empire I mentioned the fantasy genre and storytelling in general respectively. I want to do something different again and connect the two to
Choko
May 08, 2016 Choko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
*** 5 ***

A buddy read with the buddies, who joined together on a Fantasy quest to save the world, at BB&B!

Wow!!! Just wow!!! I am not sure I have words! I just finished this series and I am glad that despite some very painful moments, which almost led me to depression and left me with the need to step away and take a break, I stuck with it to the end! This five star rating is not only for the last installment, which I found to be the strongest in its balance of prose and action, but for the
TS Chan
Sometimes the price of dreams is achieving them.

The price of reading an amazing series is finishing it and feeling lost.

And the reward of rereading them is feeling that you've come home.

**All The Stars**

May 2016: Buddy reread with the awesome BB&B!

----------------------------------------------
Jan 2016 (audio):

Oh my goodness.. THE FEELS!!! 5-stars just don't seem enough to convey how much I love this series and its characters. Although a reread, I am again suffering from a hangover at the
Kaitlin
May 05, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
Let me start by saying that if I could give this more than 5*s I would... here's why...

Wintertide

Wow, well this book was a great step up from all the previous 4 and I loved the change in setting, tone, pace and action because everything felt more serious and dangerous in this book. I certainly can feel that we’re drawing near to the end of the book now because it’s all kicking off and everyone’s plotline is starting to draw together and be resolved.

So this story once more follows our main chara
Kristalia
Final rating: 6/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 5/5 stars

“There is no way back. There is only forward. It’s impossible to imagine there’s any reason to move ahead, but that isn’t the real reason you give up. The real fear—the terror that keeps you rooted—is that you might be wrong.”

- WARNING: THIS SECTION CONTAINS NO SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE SERIES, UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE BY SPOILER SECTIONS. SO FEEL FREE TO READ THIS AS IT WILL CONCLUDE MY FINAL OPINION ON THE WHOLE SERIES, INCLU
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who need a break from gritty fantasy
Executive Summary: I try not to give out 5 stars too often. I add books to my favorites shelf even less, but I really loved this book. I will definitely be revisiting this series again in the future.

Listening to this book just made me happy. It's not going to have much appeal to the people who want gritty realism in every story. For someone like me who needs an occasional break from that and just wants a fun sword and sorcery story, this delivered.

Audio book: Mr. Reynolds sold me on doing these
Daniel
Apr 13, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an ending, what a rush.

WHAT A BOOK.

This was great. From beginning to end not one boring page. Compelling characters, great villains and a plot that keeps you guessing till the end. I mean there were some things i got right in the middle of the book and some things that caught me totally of guard and love when a book keeps me guessing. Also the tale was nicely wrapped up with very few lose ends and a satisfying end. And trust me that is rare.

What is there more to say. It's fun, it's gre
Mimi
Dec 09, 2015 Mimi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
"Still Searching for Red Herrings" could be a subtitle for this last set of the series.

If you've followed the journey this far, chances are you're gonna like this last installment. It's like the previous books, except faster paced and more dramatic. The other minor difference is there's less character development. Since all the main players have already been introduced, the narrative is more plot driven, which is kind of the point since we all (or maybe just me by this time) want to get to the e
T.L. Gray
Aug 12, 2012 T.L. Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve tried to take a little bit of reprieve before I wrote this review, to allow my emotions time to settle, but after a full two weeks, and reading another spectacular fantasy series in between, I don’t think they’re going anywhere. If anything, they’re solidifying, especially the feelings of sadness. Not only for the heartache at the loss of some of my favorite characters in this last part of the saga, but because the series came to an end. It reminds me a lot of how I felt at the end of Harry ...more
Sanaa
[5 Stars] Overall

Wintertide [4.5 Stars] The fifth book in the series was really just gearing you up for the main event...

Percepliquis [5 Stars] ...that was the sixth and final book! I loved this conclusion. It was amazing. I adored seeing the way Michael J Sullivan brought all of these plot threads together. It was really amazing seeing how people, events, and even things from earlier books were being brought back into this one. The adventure constantly had me at the edge of my seat, and I admit
Allison
Heir of Novron is a satisfying conclusion to the Riyria Revelations. It's an epic ending to a series that started out with a lighter, sword and sorcery tone. I loved the progression into more serious fantasy throughout the series, and loved that it never got too dark or gritty (or long-winded!). I found the dark well-balanced by humor and friendship - this was pure fun, but not frivolous at all.

The first book of the omnibus, Wintertide, takes place in the city of Aquesta during preparations for
Armina
Buddy read with Desinka , Gavin , Conor

A fantastic ending to an increasingly good series. In the last 20% of book #6 after every new plot twist and mystery revealed I was thinking "There is more? Is this really necessary?!" I wondered how Sullivan will manage to get all the threads tied up. Well, he did it greatly and we have a satisfying end. Full review to come after Christmas day. :)

Wintertide: 5 stars
Percepliquis: 4.5 stars
Komal
Apr 11, 2014 Komal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I've finally ended with Riyria and I'm overwhelmed with every type of emotion in this world. Since this was the last book in a series consisting of six, there's little point in elaborating the plot line in a review. So here, I'll just summarize my feelings for the entire series in general and lament my journey with the world and characters created by Michael J. Sullivan.

I cannot write a review. I have a relationship with this book which I shall proceed to explain. A review isn't operable here,
Michael *Windrunner*
This series is a masterpiece and the final book is the worthy culmination.
Gray
Jul 08, 2012 Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
In a weird way, I am very upset I get to write this review because that means the series is over, and that is a hard fact to accept. The series gets better and better with each book and culminates in one of the most satisfying endings to any series in any medium. I do not say that lightly as I am a film and TV fanatic.

Michael J Sullivan does a fantastic job drawing out all emotions from the readers. You will find yourself laughing one one page and tearing up on the next, and this is done so flui
Gavin
Nov 20, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Heir of Novron is the omnibus containing Wintertide and Percepliquis, books 5 and 6 of Riyria Revelations.

Wintertide

This was a surprisingly short book. Not that its short length stopped Wintertide being one of the best books in the series. I loved this book. It was fast paced and exciting from start to finish and was filled with action, humor, intrigue, and adventure. Despite the fun feel to the book it was still full of plenty of dark and shocking moments. Especially towards the end!

I loved Ha
Ron
Mar 22, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Recommended to Ron by: Jon
Shelves: fantasy, maps, signed
Book Five, Wintertide: Much better. A solid four stars. The main and sub-plots relate to each other and move the greater story of the series forward. Excellent story telling.

Book Six: Percepliquis: Outstanding. Like a great symphony, it builds to a crescendo of action and art. Most threads are neatly tied. Yes, this is how you end a series--with a bang. Sacrifice, forgiveness, redemption; oh yes, and lying, cheating and stealing. Some people aren't who they seem (and some of them don't even know
BookBandit
Sep 13, 2013 BookBandit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying conclusion to the series (books #5-#6). Adventures across the open seas, dungeon crawl, travels across the map in search of lost cities, individual and large scale battles, city under siege, bad guys finding redemption, good guys finding themselves, are all included among the myriad of great storylines within this book and series as a whole. The author tied up all loose ends and added a few twists that I did not anticipate. If you like the series so far you will enjoy the conclusion t ...more
Ayman Teaman
**Part 1/2 Review**
Rating: 5
An epic finale that takes you through a journey of joyous laughter and bitter tears, with a dose of romance and a sprinkle of hints to hidden stories yet to be unraveled.
Michael did a great job ending ‘The Riyria Revelations’ series in a class, making it a highly recommended series not only to any fantasy fans, but even those who are new to fantasy as it is light, engaging, entertaining, funny, and bittersweet.
More on that in my review of the series as a whole (lin
Kelly
Feb 18, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I'm in serious mourning because of the end of this series...I did not expect to love it this much. It has been a while since I've read a fantasy series that compelled me to become so emotionally invested in the characters...and not just one or two characters, many! Sullivan just kept layering on depth to each character as the story moved forward...little gems of information that helped solve the mystery of who they were and why, all while adding new characters to get to know. I found the story a ...more
Nathan
Nov 17, 2015 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic ending to a fantastic series. Complete praise for Michael J. Sullivan. I love this last book so much.
Chris
By Mar, that was f'ing phenomenal! And now it's over...doh!

Perhaps part of my subliminal reason for putting off finishing this series for so long was that I didn't want it to end. Whatever, that's bullshit. I was just being lame. This should have been devoured upon release!

Wintertide was the best book in the series. Yes, out of six 5-star efforts, this is the one I'd put (slightly) above all the others. The twists and turns, and the climax - wow!

Percepliquis was a slight letdown, but only becau
Mogsy (MMOGC)
There are many different kinds of fantasy: epic fantasy, dark fantasy, heroic fantasy, sword and sorcery, etc. It's hard to label the Riyria Revelvations series as any of these, though. If I had to, I think I would coin my own term -- down-to-earth fantasy, a compliment I don't often get a chance to bestow. The author set out to tell a great story with great characters; there is no pretension, and what you see is what you get. That in itself really makes this series stand out for me. While dark ...more
Nico
Aug 10, 2013 Nico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic conclusion to the Riyria Revelations. This series was a lot of fun , one of the best I read for sure and I immensely enjoyed Michael J. Sullivans writing style. Everything got neatly tied up in the last two chapters and doesn't leave really any room to continue another story from there, but Sullivan just released a prequel with Hadrian's and Royce's early years, which means luckily more stories with these great characters.
The only thing that nagged me about the series was the use of pr
Alissa
Mar 08, 2015 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Wonderful book and outstanding ending of a great trilogy. This series is absolutely precious, with great plot and characters. I got hooked after reading the first book of the Riyria chronicles, which is also the first in chronological order, and I would recommend starting with it because, even though you can read them in publishing order, I enjoyed having no prior knowledge of how the future was going to unfold. The writing style is also much enjoyable and sets the story going at the right pace. ...more
Nishtha Aggarwal
If it is not a big claim, this is the BEST fiction/fantasy book/novel of the 112 books read till date by me. Mr. Sullivan... Thank you for this series. And when I say 112 books, it does include my all time favourites like Harry Potter, LOTR, The Mortal Instruments and what not!!!

I loved the way how Mr. Sullivan left small crumbs of hints all along the way and still every small thing wasn't an easy guess!!! The characters are absolutely mesmerising and they hold onto you forever and ever. The di
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the way I read these. While I gave each individual volume a positive review I can also recommend them in this form...two volumes per volume so to speak.

I have already recommended them and I want to do it again. These may not be tomes of learning or have depths of philosophical thought in them (though don't sneeze at the sub-context it's there just placed in a ripping good story) but it is immensely readable and enjoyable.

I've read many epic fantasy novels and only a few get into my all t
WHAT ARE SOME SIMILAR BOOK SERIES???!!! 5 37 Feb 19, 2016 12:55PM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Series as a whole - Through Book #6: MANY SPOILERS ALERT 149 343 May 21, 2014 07:03PM
The Riyria Revela...: Character Comparisons 23 151 Jan 26, 2014 07:02AM
My thoughts on the Riyria revelations-Spoilers- 1 60 Jan 21, 2014 08:54AM
The Sword and Laser: Help! What is like Riyria? 6 119 Dec 31, 2013 07:43AM
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
2063919
RELEASING SOON: Age of Myth is one of the most popular books coming in June 2016 -- shelved by more than 16,000 goodreads members!

RECENTLY RELEASED: The Death of Dulgath made it to #1 for Bestselling epic fantasy audiobook, listen to the first 30 minutes for free.

Goodreads Choice Award Nominee in: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014

Hey there. Thanks for visiting my profile. I write classical fa
More about Michael J. Sullivan...

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, part #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, part #2)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, part #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, part #4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, part #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, part #6)

“See, that’s the difference,” Mauvin said. “I suffer a loss and people console me. Royce suffers a loss and whole towns evacuate.” 94 likes
“Happiness comes from moving toward something. When you run away, ofttimes you bring your misery with you.” 74 likes