Start by marking “Clair-obscur” as Want to Read:
Clair-obscur

Clair-obscur

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,841 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Une angoisse permanente, des rêves récurrents porteurs d'un message énigmatique, des inconnus qui la confondent avec une femme à laquelle elle ressemblerait comme une jumelle...Depuis l'accident de voiture qui a failli lui coûter la vie, Joanna collectionne les évènements troublants. Poussée par l'urgence, certaine qu'un danger la menace, elle décide d'en savoir plus. Ses ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 317 pages
Published February 25th 1998 by J'ai lu (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Clair-obscur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clair-obscur

Jamie Price
I was wrapped up into this book from the first couple of pages. I read a third of this book the first night I started it. Basically Joanna miraculously survives a horrible wreck that includes a long spinning, flipping wreck that ends up leaving her trapped without a scratch in her car. During the rescue unfortunately an electrical pole falls onto car and electrocutes her. Fortunately rescue workers bring her back to life but she starts having dreams and when she is mistaken for a dead woman, she ...more
Kenzi
Two woman share the same face, the same build- so much so that people of Caroline McKenna's town would go as far as to think Joanna Flynn could be her reincarnated. But when she comes to town to investigate, it fastly becomes clear Joanna is anything like the vulnerable, insensitive mother Caroline had been.
Joanna is determined to hunt down the killer while finding love along the way. But will that love rescue her in time before her times of cheating death are over?
Amazing book- and recommend
Linda
Joanna’s car s lips on a rainy road in Atlanta, and goes off in to a field, where Joanna has a near brush with death. Shortly afterwards, she beings to have troubling dreams about a woman named Caroline in a town named Cliffside. Then, she is stopped on the street in Atlanta by two different people who call her Caroline and look as if they are seeing a ghost. Being a research librarian, she hunts for towns named Cliffside and with the help of other clues, discovers that Caroline was killed in an ...more
Erin
I’m not sure how this book ended up on my reading list, possibly I thought it was by another author? But it had been on there for so long and sounded slightly interesting, so I gave it a go. For this genre, I’m sure this is a good book. It was fairly well written, but I don’t usually read this genre, and now I remember why.

Any book that has a statement like this “Dinner would have been better with you as dessert” is certainly going to illicit a few groans throughout, and it did. I suppose I coul
Marcia Berg Haskell
'Joanna Flynn was lucky to be alive. Twice in a matter of minutes she almost died on a patch of oil-slicked highway. But when the doctors told her that she would suffer no lasting effects, they were wrong. For that night the dream began...

It was only of a house perched high above the sea, of a ticking clock and the lingering scent of roses. Yet night after night it awoke Joanna with a sense of panic. Its terror lingered throughout her days, urging her to do something—but what?

Then two strangers
Emily Higgins
After a car accident in which she has to be brought back from death, Joanna Flynn starts having dreams that haunt her. She manages to find out that her dreams are tied to a woman on the West coast who died at the same time that Joanna had her accident. Joanna goes to the other woman's home to find out the meaning of her dreams. An intriguing mystery.
Linda
This was my first book that I read from Kay Hooper. I enjoyed it so much I started to read the Bishop series. This romantic mystery had a different type of plot and the author made it a very interesting read. Two women, Caroline and Joanne, are connected through an accident. Caroline, who lives at the opposite end of the US dies; at the same time Joanne is in a car accident but she survives.

Joanne is left with conflicting feelings and purpose...just why does she feel drawn to Caroline and the fa
Louise
I think this is the last Hooper novel that I'd missed reading. After Caroline was better than Amanda but still not as good as Hooper's Bishop Special Crimes Unit novels!

From back cover:

"Two women who look enough alike to be twins. Both involved in car wrecks at the same time. One survives. One doesn't.

Now, plagued by a bewildering connection to a woman she never knew, driven by an urgent compulsion she doesn't understand, Joanna Flynn travels three thousand miles across the country to the pictur
Marcia Berg Haskell
'The moment Amanda defied her rich and powerful father to marry Bobby O'Leary, Big Max disowned her. Even now, with Bobby dead and Amanda mired in debt, he refuses to forgive her.But Caleb, the new man in Amanda's life, is determined to mend fences between father and daughter. He also has a far more personal mission—to make Amanda and her family his own. But when she learns how close he is to Big Max and the secret Caleb's been hiding, there's every chance she could walk away.As a pastor, Caleb' ...more
Dina
Listened to audio book as I drove back and forth to school, which made it bearable. Probably not a listen for a long drive! The premise of the story is good - woman in auto accident, dies, is revived on the scene. Electric line falls across her vehicle and she is electrocuted, and revived. Lead up tot eh story was actually pretty good also. She connected with the soul of a woman who was murdered and set out to find out who the woman was and why she was murdered. This probably would've been a fin ...more
Diane
Book was ok but you have to start by accepting the idea you can dream of a real place you have never been or heard about and suspend your disbelief. It turned out to have a light not totally satisfying romance amidst a mystery the main character solves by traveling across the entire country. I would be willing to try another book from this author because over all I enjoyed the writing style just did not totally love the new age idea of dream details proving to be real.
Ferne
This is definitely a page-turner! I've read Kay Hooper's offerings before but this is now definitely my favorite title by this author. I tried very carefully to figure out all of the pieces as the author finished the presentation. I was successful with some pieces of the puzzle but there was one piece of the puzzle that I definitely didn't see coming... If you missed reading this earlier book by Kay Hooper, I suggest you try to locate a copy. It will not disappoint! :)
Audrey
I thought this book started out pretty slow, but it got much better the closer I got to the end.
Kim
A contemporary gothic which utilizes the gothic elements in an even-handed manner. The clue to the puzzle is introduced far enough into the story that it doesn't get to be a burden and moves the plot through quickly to the story's climax. This was the first Kay Hooper I'd read, and I'll more than likely be looking for her other titles.
Heather
Ok mystery, but moved pretty slowly. This book is probably a little too realistic in how it would be to solve a real mystery. You talk to a lot of people and don't find out much information. And then the "fiction" part of the book takes hold and the murderer tries to kill you. Not enough action for me.
Selena
This book started slowly, but as it picked up speed, it got better. I came real close to putting it down after the first few chapters, but I'm so glad I didn't. It turned out to be a really good story and the person "whodunit" was definitely not who I expected.
Stacey
This was a new author for me. I really didn't know what to expect but I really enjoyed it, she keeps you interested and guessing up until the end. I look forward to reading more of her books.
G. Marie  Warren
After Caroline reminded me of the classic "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier without the infamous opening line, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again". Nice suspence and plot line.
Lisa Currier
Not my favorite Hooper novel. I felt that the story dragged in several spots. I did like the main characters. The Bishop series are still my favorites!
Pam
A recurring terrifying dream brings Johanna Flynn to Cliffside (Seaside), Oregon to see how her look alike died. Hard to tell who will be the villan.
T.M. Carper
An interesting read with a good finale. The link between Joanna and Caroline is never fully explained, but it's still a good suspense read.
Melissa
Really enjoyed the story. Wish it would have kept going, wasn't ready to stop reading. Would definitely read it again. :)
Tara Carpenter
I think this was the best cheesy romance novel I have ever read. Which might not be saying much, but I really liked it.
Susan Thompson
Mystery--paranormal--romance. This book has it all. I found myself like Joanna racing to the end to find the killer.
Karen Hufman
A woman shows up in a town only to find that she looks just like a woman who died mysteriously. It was good.
Linda
Another of my first time reads. This is another author I will look for when getting books.
Dana

Nice light read. I wonder if we all have a doppelgänger out there somewhere.
Cynde mitchell
Its okay and she doesn't disappoint but theBishop series spoiled me forever
Michele bookloverforever
if you enjoy this genre, recommend this author . always worth reading.
Cheryl
I have yet to read anything by Kay Hooper that isn't good!
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Out of the Dark
  • Reap The Wind (Wind Dancer, #3)
  • Now You See Her
  • The Cabin (Carriage House, #2)
  • Boots And Bullets
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • A Weapon Of Opportunity
  • Ghost Moon  (Bone Island Trilogy, #3)
  • Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4)
  • Black Magic
  • Scent of Danger
  • The Survivors
  • Wildest Hearts
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)