Start by marking “Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)

Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)

Soccer mom, Barbara Marr attracts trouble the way the North Pole attracts short men with odd wardrobe choices. So it’s no surprise when she finds herself in deep doo-doo while attempting to prove the innocence of friend and ex-Mafia goon, Frankie Romano, after he’s arrested for the murder of a famous action movie director.

This third book in the popular Barbara Marr Murder
Published February 12th 2012 by Books on the Green

To ask other readers questions about Silenced by the Yams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silenced by the Yams

Dianne
Mar 05, 2012 Dianne rated it it was amazing
HUGE Cliff-hanger!!!!!!!!!

This series just keeps getting better. I'm so glad that I abandoned my usual practise of not buying authors who under value them selves and jumped at the first book in this series Take the Monkeys and Run: A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery. This series is a combination of slapstick comedy,an Agatha Christie type mystery, the Pink Panther, and a tiny bit of a romance. Those who have read previous books know that there is something about Colt. And of course now that her husba
Michelle
Jul 29, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Silenced by the Yams is a face-paced whodunnit with a chick lit kick. The clever humor, twisty plot, and outrageous situations work to make this book as sweet and fluffy as a cone of cotton candy.

My problem is that I don't like cotton candy. Yes, a quick read is a good way to clear the brain between books, but because Yams is so focused on plot and humor, there is very little character development or description. As a result, I didn't have any emotional buy-in and didn't care how the story turne
Lilac Wolf
Apr 03, 2012 Lilac Wolf rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

On my list of favorite authors, I would put Karen Cantwell up there just above Janet Evanovich. I am in love with Barbara Marr and all her friends. It's so good to have a heroine who is not perfect and is just trying to do what she loves, raising her girls and watching movies. She started a movie review website - which made me lover her all the more. I reviewed a few movies, but books are my passion - lol.

This is the 3rd book, but there are a few short stories out there
Debra Martin
Jan 23, 2016 Debra Martin rated it it was amazing
This is the third title in the Barbara Marr mystery series and it's the best one yet. With so many laugh-out-loud scenes, it's hard to put the book down. In this story, we find Barbara happily reunited with her husband, Howard, the FBI agent. Life is settling down and getting back to normal or so she thinks. When Barbara is invited to a local movie screening, she's thrilled, that is, until the film director Kurt Baugh keels over and dies right in front of her after eating the yams. It's bad enou ...more
Kim D
Aug 16, 2012 Kim D rated it really liked it
This is the third book in this series and it does not disappoint. Barbara Marr is a stay at home wife who manages to get herself involved in everything other than being a housewife.

In this installment, Barbara is at function where her good friend and former wiseguy, Frankie, is catering the affair. Low and behold, somebody gets sick and dies and it is determined that the yams were the culprit. Thus our story begins and our friend Barb just has to prove that Frankie is innocent.

Karen Cantwell mak
Nancy Silk
Jun 06, 2012 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing

A Fantabulous Laugh-Out-Loud (LOL) Mystery

Silenced by the Yams (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3) (Kindle Edition)
This is the 3d in a series of the Barbara Marr Mysteries. But it is the first of Karen's books that I've read (but it won't be the last!) I needed a laugh. I got more than a laugh. I was laughing out loud as I read it ... even in the bagel shop where we frequent. Main character Barbara is a wife, mother, and a noted film critic in Washington, DC. Did I mention her husband is a FBI A
Meg
Jun 01, 2012 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Silenced by the Yams is the third installment of the hilarious Barbara Mar Mystery Series. Barbara's movie review website has taken off, netting her an invitation to an advanced film screening. However, the night does not go as planned - Barbara once again finds herself investigating another murder - of legendary director Kurt Baugh. Only this time, her close friend Frankie (ex-mafia henchman from the first Barbara Marr book) is sitting in a jail cell charged with the murder!

Silenced by the Yams
Maria Schneider
Mar 09, 2012 Maria Schneider rated it really liked it
This review was first published for DailyCheapReads.com and is reprinted here with permission.

If you’ve ever read The Spellman Files you know how zany things can get when a dysfunctional family intrudes in a murder investigation. Well, the Spellmans have nothing on Barbara Marr. She’s a one-lady adventure (read: disaster waiting to happen) all by herself.

In this third Barbara Marr book, Barb is out to save an old friend from the slammer. There’s been a murder and Frankie, the ex-mafia man, is th
Eileen Patterson
Jun 11, 2012 Eileen Patterson rated it liked it
I really don't like the way this character's husband treats her. He's a jerk. she keeps saying she's lucky to have him, but he's condescending and he doesn't take her feelings into consideration and I'm about ready to jump into the book and bash his face with a brick. Seriously, he doesn't consult her when planning to make serious life changes that will affect their entire family, but gets mad at her when she doesn't tell him where she's going when she leaves the house throughout the day? Can we ...more
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, mystery
Less mayhem than the prior books in the series, but also a more realistic murder-plot-motive scenario as well. My tastes may be changing or my expectations were too high, but it seemed that Barb's character was a bit more two-dimensional this time around. My perception was that there was less depth of who she is, as a woman, a mother, a sleuth, a neighbor, overall less depth to her character. I liked the book and the story was engaging but I can't quite decide between 3 and 4 stars for my rating ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Dec 21, 2014 Georgiann Hennelly rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book laugh out loud funny Karen Cantwell writes a fantastic story. Barbara Marr is a soccer Mom. Happily reunited with Howard her Husband who is an FBI agent. She thinks her life is finally settling down but when she is invited to a movie screening and the film director keels over and dies in front of her after eating the yams. It's bad enough he died but her friend Frankie an ex mafia man catered the event. So he is now the number 1 suspect. Barbara feels its up to her ...more
Hilary
Apr 10, 2012 Hilary rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I'm surprised at the high ratings. The writing was a bit twee and cutesy at times, the plot was overdone and just had too many eccentric/stereotypical characters in it. (view spoiler) As a reader, I barely got time to grasp one thing before it was off in a completely different direction. I see that other readers t ...more
Betty
Jun 18, 2012 Betty rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Ashley
Apr 18, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
I just can’t believe it’s over! I inhaled these books, neglecting other obligations because I just had to find out what happened next, and now, having finished the last in the trilogy, I’m at a loss.

For three books the author managed to keep her momentum. She didn’t let the plot lag, even when she knew her devoted fan base would forgive some minor laziness. This last installment (or can we hope for a fourth?) did not disappoint. It was witty, exciting, intriguing, and Barbara was just as plucky
Lisa
Apr 08, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Barb's career as a film critic is taking off, and she's letting her friends ride her coat tails. Her friend and former mobster Frankie caters an event she is attending and is then accused of murdering one of the high-profile guests. Of course, Barb isn't going to let her friend be convicted of something she knows he didn't do, so she and her long-term friend Colt investigate. I really liked this story! The action took place almost immediately, and the characters are very likeable. This story had ...more
Jul 04, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Barbara Marr, soccer Mom, wife of an FBI agent, and attractor of dead bodies, does it again. Barbara has a movie review blog, and has been invited to a movie review screening. There she finds her friend, ex-mafia gangster-turned-chef, doing the catering. There she also finds herself under film director, Kurt Baugh, when he falls on her, vomits and dies. YUK! Never one to sit on the sidelines, Barbara enlists her friend, Colt, private eye, to help her snoop. In the meantime, her Mother-in-law has ...more
Oct 17, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best Barbara Marr book so far. Life's are changed in this story, the mystery is compelling and the humor abounds. Barbara doesn't go looking for trouble; trouble finds her wherever she goes. The plot is complicated and fast moving; I found it hard to put down.

Barbara is an intelligent, well grounded and caring wife, mother and friend. This tends to land her in the most unusual, but not unbelievable, predicaments. This book ends in a terrifying cliff-hanger that adds to the de
Alice
Jun 02, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Another amusing romp from Karen Cantwell. The only downside about this book is that it was quite short really.
Bren
Nov 22, 2014 Bren rated it really liked it
Another fun book! Love the characters, the plots, and subplots. Looking forward to reading the next in this series.
Lbousson
#3 in the Barbara Marr Mysteries.

These books are so fun to read. They are fast to read and enjoyable. A little mystery with a dash of suspense. Perfect for an evening in with your favorite beverage.

If you haven't figure it out by now, the author loves to use variations of current events for titles to make her plots stand out. (Granted, this might date her work after a period of years...but what's the fun in that?) These books don't take themselves to seriously, and I can appreciate that.

Three st
Paula
Mar 24, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it
Fun cozy mystery. Loved the characters. Mom seems to attract trouble. She doesn't let friends down. Her husband is FBI.
Terri Anderson
Dec 16, 2015 Terri Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5*
Cynthia
Mar 09, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
The best book of the series, and the rest are great! If you like the humor of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum you'll like Karen Cantwell's Barbara Marr. The book is laugh-out-loud funny in parts - even while Barb courts dangerous situations.

This one astounded me because we have a cliff-hanger, something not seen in the first two books in the series. I would have been looking forward to number four anyway - now I have a lot vested in the next release.
Darlene Ferland
Jun 19, 2012 Darlene Ferland rated it it was amazing
Well, anyone following my short reviews will just be bored by this one. Karen Cantwell's third Barbara Marr mystery is another fun read. . . I love the relationship among Barbara, Howard and Colt. Two guys both in love with Barbara as well as being best friends since College. It took me a couple of hours to finished this book. Once again Barbara is involved in murder and mayham in the greater DC area and the action is non-stop. . .
Misha Crews
Feb 28, 2012 Misha Crews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Another delicious Barbara Marr mystery! This time, Barb is up to her eyebrows in local celebrities and framed former Mafiosos. Between her mother-in-law moving in, and her best friend Roz moving out (to California), Barb is vomited on, shot at, and kidnapped. But then, that's just another day in the life of Rustic Woods' most intrepid soccer mom. I loved this book as much as the first two, and I can't wait for number four!
May 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
This was a light-hearted murder mystery about a movie reviewer and her friends solving a murder that happened right on top of her. The style was too breezy for me, and I was getting irritated over phrases like, "I'm done for." There were plot points that I found unbelievable, but I might be a bit harsh on those. I think the author was trying for a Janet Evanovich style book, but she just didn't get there.
Belle
Jun 10, 2012 Belle rated it really liked it
I downloaded the Kindle version of this for free on Amazon. It's my first time to read a book from this series, and since it was free, I wasn't expecting anything, but surprisingly, I loved everything about it and am now encouraged to read the other novels in the series. I loved Barbara and both her domestic and crime-fighting adventures. This was a fun and easy read.
Mary
Feb 10, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
fun, easy read
☺Trish
May 24, 2015 ☺Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Silenced By the Yams is another entertaining Barbara Marr mystery from Karen Cantwell. Mama Marr and Clarence are two of my favorite characters - keep 'em coming, Ms. Cantwell!
Kristin
Apr 22, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
This was a quick read. I didn't like it as much as the last one, it just seemed to be missing the humor of the last book. I will keep reading the series. For a indie author Karen Cantwell has created a well written series with likeable characters and has few mispellings and typos which everyone always complains about with indies.
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Case in Deadwood (Deadwood, #3)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Killer Cuvee: Walla Walla Valley
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #1)
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
  • Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
Karen's novel, Take the Monkeys and Run was a semi-finalist in the 2009 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest (under the original title of Monkeys in My Trees)and has gone on to be a Kindle bestseller on Amazon. She has written three more books in the Barbara Marr Murder Mystery Series: Citizen Insane, Silenced by the Yams, and Saturday Night Cleaver.

When she's not writing, Karen loves gardening
More about Karen Cantwell...

Barbara Marr Murder Mystery (6 books)
  • Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Saturday Night Cleaver (A Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #4)
  • Dead Man Stalking (Barbara Marr Murder #5)
  • Bjorn! on the Fourth of July