Start by marking “Black Woods” as Want to Read:
Black Woods
Preview

Black Woods (BlackWoods #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Laura and Julie, avid mushroom hunters even in their sixties, still remember that first encounter in the woods so many years ago.

Four young men, fun by nature, travel to the woods with high hopes of a hunt they won't soon forget.

the Black Woods.
Published February 18th 2012 (first published February 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Black Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Woods

Melissa
In the interest of full disclosure, the author is my aunt. That said, I was surprisingly pleased with the story. The heroine (and her side-kick sister) are in their sixties, something I found refreshing. The story centers around her and her family, their love of mushroom hunting, and a mysterious being in a section of the woods they hunt. Their fear of the creature is put to the test when four hunters go into the black woods and can't all make it out. It is a quick and easy read, but what I love ...more
Lisa Miller Chandler
Black Woods
by Laura Wright LaRoche (Goodreads Author)
5 of 5 stars
Avid mushroom hunters and volunteers with the local Search and Rescue Department, Laura and Julie, who are in their sixties, remember that first encounter in the woods years ago.

Four young men who are fun by nature, travel to the woods with high hopes of a hunt they won't forget.

A call to the Search and Rescue Department will bring them shockingly together in the....
Black Woods.

Adult Language(less)

MY REVIEW:
I wanted to take a li
Chris
Wow, that was a crazy story there was so many twist and turns, I felt like it should be turned into a horror film.
Melissa
Lynnette
The opinion on this book seems pretty evenly divided, whatever stars have been given. I'd like to do my review just a tad bit differently to clarify some things to anyone thinking about purchasing this book. Bear in mind that I did end up fairly happy with the story overall, and intend to look further into the series.

First, three things regarding negative points mentioned in other reviews.
1. The "overuse" of information about mushrooms and hunting them: I am NOT a mushroom hunter, nor did I know
Amanda
this one has given me the heebee geebees a couple of times..love it can't wait to find time to finish it!
Kellie Harrington
great twist It blew my mind!
Gwyn Huff
Sep 13, 2012 Gwyn Huff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teens and to friends.
Shelves: thriller
Ok, the book had some grammatical issues . . .

But the characters, two sixty year old sisters, Julie and Laura are "people" who I grew emotionally involved with after the first two or three chapters. I won't forget these two "dragon slayers" (my words).

These two women are sisters and are grandmothers and avid mushroom hunters. They seem to be in there late 60's at the current time and duration of the story. When they were young people, they came to an area dibbed, "the black woods" and encounter
RF Monroe
Black Woods is a thriller told in such a personal manner, you’ll want to read to the end. Much of the story comes from the viewpoint of an elderly woman who busies herself with collecting mushrooms and the lives of her husband and grand kids The last person you’d expect to relate a tale of gruesome horror. It’s a refreshing take.

This author has energy and it shows in her writing. As a reader I found it easy to connect with the first person narration and liked how she told the story in a way that
Mark Holborn
this book started kinda slow for me, then picked up to be quite enjoyable, horror with a twist. I didnt realize Mushroom hunting was an actual activity, I thought Hobbits gathered mushrooms for us to consume.
I read this book all in one day, a great tale for the halloween season. The author created enough suspense and blood to satisfy my dark side enough to get over the Mushroom Hunting. I cant seem to wrap my head around that. I am sure I would pick the poisioned ones by mistake.
Kevin Hammond
i liked this one. it had a wholesome aspect to the characters while the black woods were so creepy and the tale unfolded in a way that was suspenseful and had some great moments of action in it.
i think the writer was playing on a very basic fear that everybody has felt at some point. walking alone through the woods at night, well, theres nothing else quite like that. you can hear every sound and the crack of a twig becomes something other worldly, especially in the dark
i believe this one follows
M. Matheson
I was well pleased and enjoyed Laura's tale. The protagonist and teller within the story is also named Laura and one has the feel the author is very familiar with the settings and especially mushrooms... The tale is well crafted and unpredictable. The only drawback is a bit too much repetition or perhaps some things are just over simplified. The ending caught me totally off guard, was a delight and capped the story well by making it all gel and come together. It was left wide open for her sequel ...more
Ann Mullen
Four not-so-likable teenage guys and two mushroom hunting women battle an evil creature in the woods. Sounds mundane and predictable, but it wasn’t. It was spooky. It was also graphic, so if you don’t like gore, this book isn’t for you. Normally, I don’t read gore, but I was already interested in the storyline when the gore came into play. I handled it and continued because I had to find out if the mushroom hunters survived. No spoilers here. Good work, Laura Wright LaRoche! A memorable tale tha ...more
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Smashwords freebie

An enchanting horror tale filled with mystery surrounding the forest in which four young men and two older women enjoy but learn to fear. Was the wooded area haunted or did a horrific beast roamed them looking for its next meal?

Starts off as a simple contemporary story that quickly becomes a thrilling horror story, leaving the reader wanting more. The characters are endearing, genuine while they push the smooth suspenseful terror filled plot forward. The entire premise is capti
Deborah A.
Patience is a virtue and so worth it in the Black Woods

This very unusual story is worth waiting for the time it takes to unfold. The Prologue hits you with a bang, grabbing your attention. You secretly smile to yourself and think, "This is going to be a good book." And right you are!

Then the next few chapters of two middle-aged sisters mushroom hunting, well I know nothing about this pastime that these two older women seem to find so exciting, so I'm not a good person to comment. All I do know,
John Phelps
Black Woods is a relatively short novel that builds the suspense page by page. The ending was not quite what I expected and now I suppose I'll need to check out Black Woods Revealed. If you like horror, you'll like this one. The author could have added a bit more detail to the gory parts as much is left to the reader's imagination. But anybody who's ever been in the woods at night should be able to picture the setting. Gave me chills.
Marianne Spitzer
I loved this book. It was fast paced and gripping. It kept me reading until 1 am to finish it. I loved that the main characters are not your typical heroins. Ladies in their sixties with normal lives and a love of mushrooms sounds more like your great-aunt or grandmother. Not these two. Don't miss this one, it's a great read and a good mystery. I can't wait for the sequel. Well done.
Angela
Laura and Julie are not just sisters, they are best friends and closer than any two people can be to each other. They are in their sixties now and get the most thrills during mushroom hunting season. They love it and they love the bounty from the hunt, always have. They plan for ten months how to execute an even better mushroom hunt than the year before. They also are part of a Search and Rescue Department in the area and they love it. The part they don't love and do their best to avoid is the " ...more
Scot
Decent character development and the story is a quick read. The story kept me interested. The first person style that the story is written in is a little weird but makes sense as the story concludes. I originally picked this up for free from Amazon but I would've paid for it. Enjoyable read overall.
Lenora Rogers
This is a great book. This book had me from beginning to end. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat. The black woods is a scary place. It had me waiting to see what happened when some one enters the woods. It left me with questions at the end. I didn't expect the ending. Love it.
Rosie Amber
A well written book, it's been a while since a read a book where the narrator is a grand-parent. The story has some scary moments and some horrific deaths, I was left wanting to know what the deadly creature was and I was slightly confused by the ending.
E.A. Lake
I liked it. A little slow at the start, but it picked up from there.

First person, present tense written – so I was sure I wouldn't like it (even though I know the author). But after a shaky start, I liked it and wanted to see where Laura was taking us.

There are a couple of sentences missing words towards the end of the book. A couple of times I felt other sentences didn't make complete sense. But overall, it is well constructed and well written.

Remember, it's about a monster (maybe a mutant anim
Jennifer Kaster
I found it interesting that the two main characters were older women. I loved the little twist. It kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting more. I didnt want to put it down!
Steve Keefe
Sophie
Gripping, suspenseful, with an ending you don't see coming!
Jessica
I'm usually a bit skeptical when it comes to free books on Amazon Kindle, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. While this isn't no where near the best book I've read, it was a quick, fun, intriguing story that I couldn't put down.

Black Woods follows the story of Laura and Julie - two women in their sixties who enjoy nothing more than hunting mushrooms - and a group of young men in their twenties, who take a week off from their lives to spend time hunting and fishing. Unbeknownst to the
Lesley
I found myself speed reading just to get to the end. The "big twist" at the end was disappointing and the book never really explained the "black woods". What really got to me was the grammar and spelling errors in this book. Wow! It's one thing if character dialogue has grammar issues, but the grammar and spelling errors were throughout the entire book, not just the dialogue. This has been on my TBR for a while and it probably should have just stayed there.
Whitney
This book consisted of mushroom hunting, an unexplained monster and forced, dated dialogue with "Leave it to Baver" terms that 21st century twenty somthing year old men would never say that was cringe worthy it hurt. I cant say how many times I rolled my eyes wondering if the author has spent a minute around any young adult male. The author basically presented an incomplete short story with cheesy dialogue and cheesier horror scenes. I do not recommend it, unless you are bored and need a quick r ...more
Love2read
Well done novel by an independent author. The story is quite unique and it ends well. It's a mystery with some interesting characters. The reader gets two views of the story. One from the main protagonist and the other from the young men out in the woods. The ending is unpredictable, which that alone deserves several stars. It's a little bit of a scary story. I know some people who might be frightened by this kind of read. It didn't really frighten me, but it kept me alert. The story has a few s ...more
Judy Vanderpool
Good read

I was up all night finishing this book. I could not go to sleep without knowing the ending. Every community has its tales of strange things that go bump in the night and this book was very similar to a local one in my area.
Goodreads Librari...: Add info, please 3 23 Aug 22, 2012 01:46PM
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol. 3
  • Verliege
  • Soul Mate
  • Compelled (The Sanctuary War, #1)
  • Dark Passage
  • Stress Fracture
  • Wink
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • A Dream of Death (Detective Lincoln Munroe, #1)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Dark Path
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • Zombiestan
  • High Moor
Hello everyone!
I am the author of Black Woods, Two Sister: prattle tales of playful girls, Broken Soul, and Legend of Manfin. I also love designing book covers. I am an avid mushroom hunter, and I hunt daily during the season. My son is my hero and I love him more than air.
More about Laura Wright LaRoche...

BlackWoods (2 books)
  • Black Woods Revealed (BlackWoods #2)
Two Sisters: prattle tales of playful girls Broken Soul Black Woods Revealed (BlackWoods #2) Legend of Manfin (The Journey, #1) The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)