Start by marking “Watch the Doors As They Close” as Want to Read:
Watch the Doors As They Close

Watch the Doors As They Close

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Fiction. "This is the story of Anselm." A woman plans to set down a faithful portrait of her ex-lover, just days after he's fled their one-room romance. But as she looks back on the crash-and-burn affair, her writing quickly reveals her own contempt for and obsession with moody, unpredictable Anselm. The 35-year-old narrator is an unpublished writer and retail clerk who sp ...more
Published 2012 by Spuyten Duyvil

To ask other readers questions about Watch the Doors As They Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch the Doors As They Close

Watch the Doors As They Close by Karen Lillis
X
1st out of 1 book — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Vilma
Oct 23, 2012 Vilma rated it really liked it
Shelves: spuyten-duyvil
Watch the Doors As They Close is a short novella of a 100 pages but one that made me smile, made me want to jump up and down my bed, singing and dancing, laughing and crying and shouting YES! YES! YES! to the whole world, or at least those who want to listen.

(Okay, it wasnt that bad, but you know...)

It tells the tale of a love affair that has just ended one week ago,

One has to sit very still and pay close attention to see where hes going, where hes gone.

arranged as a series of journal entries
Jason Pettus
Apr 05, 2012 Jason Pettus rated it really liked it

(IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: About a year ago, the author of this book wrote a complimentary article about CCLaP for her personal blog, although in no way was this done in expectation of a good review in return. Nonetheless, it should be kept in mind when reading this write-up.)

Knowing what I do about author Kar
Xian Xian
Feb 11, 2015 Xian Xian rated it really liked it
Karen Lillis is a librarian and bookseller who runs the small press roulette. If you don't know what that it is, it's basically a little vendor store thing she sets up in Pennsylvania. You can also try this on Etsy where you pay a certain amount of money and she will give you a package filled with small press goodies. She also writes books of course. I bought this book off of Amazon over the summer and I read the first few pages, but never really stuck to it until now.

I regret not finishing it
Ezekiel Tyrus
Feb 21, 2016 Ezekiel Tyrus rated it it was amazing
This work reminded me of the journalist who wrote for The New Yorker named Joseph Mitchell. Specifically, "Joe Gould's Secret" which is a non-fictional account of a New York bohemian with bipolar from the 1930s through the 50s. Regarding both subject matter and writing style, this author reminds me of the best of Joseph Mitchell and if you don't know who that is, look him up. It's a perfect comparison. Karen Lillis presents a story inside her novella that's simultaneously a portrait of an odd bi ...more
Mel Bosworth
May 14, 2012 Mel Bosworth rated it really liked it
In her bittersweet novella about a strained and ultimately failed romantic connection between two young New Yorkers, Lillis successfully eludes the sappiness and excessive sentimentality that sometimes seeps out when writing about love. She accomplishes this with honesty—she takes a hard look at how insecurities can cripple a relationship—and with her smart, disarming prose. Obsessed with the life of a recent former lover, the nameless narrator recounts her time with Anselm, a humble composer wi ...more
Brianna Soloski
Aug 27, 2012 Brianna Soloski rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Watch The Doors As They Close by Karen Lillis
100 pages
3/5 stars

Watch The Doors As They Close tells the story of Anselm, narrated by his nameless ex-girlfriend. Written in journal form, she takes us through their entire relationship, filling in the details of Anselm’s past as she goes.

The book starts out with Anselm having returned to Pennsylvania and The Girl talking about the journal he gave her. She decides to use it to write their story, not in the hopes that someone will read it, but simp
Calamus
Jun 09, 2013 Calamus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
Watch the Doors as They Close is written in the form of a diary of a nameless female New Yorker, divulging the life story and relationship details of her ex-lover, Anselm. She reveals early on that their relationship was truly genuine, though strained. Both are emotionally distraught artists living in New York, and her writing is a loving tribute to who he was, what they had together, and why she will never be able to pinpoint why they did not work. Anselm grew up in the poverty of Western Penns ...more
Erika_kartmann
Oct 02, 2013 Erika_kartmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, to-swap
When I read the title, I really wanted to read this book.
So I entered a giveaway. Lucky me! I won, so I had not to order it at the next book store (I don't do amazon, so it is sometimes a little complicated for me to get foreign books...).

The book is written in a diary style.
We do not know the woman who is the narrator (We learn a little: p.e. she is in astro-stuff, she judges people by her zodiac sign.) but we learn much more about a person called Anselm: Anselm's past; Anselm's relation to the
Mathilde Sørensen
Jan 17, 2014 Mathilde Sørensen rated it it was ok
Watch the doors as they close is, im sure, a good little novella on love and more so, love gone wrong. but it is not in my personal taste of story-telling.
The narrator tells her story of a man named Anselm, a man of many loves, and of quite a few former women too. the style in which the story is told is very conversational, and thus, sometimes isnt very coherent. the female narrators train of thought is formed in a very realistic way, but it just annoyed me when she mused over insignificant thi
Karen Lillis
Feb 22, 2013 Karen Lillis added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Karen Lillis’s “Watch the Doors as They Close” Enters The Canon Of Love
Review by Joe Winkler

"...in a svelte 80 pages, Karen Lillis, in her new Watch the Doors as They Close, somehow insinuates herself into this canon of love, and love lost. Lillis accomplishes this because she chooses to focus less on the fluctuations of the relationship and more on the obsessive quality, the illogical search for answers that we think will calm our hearts after the maelstrom of love passes."
Amanda
Apr 04, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
If I were a writer, I would want to write something like this. It's about relationships. It's about potential. It's about having an understanding of things that we want and need from relationships, but just missing the mark because of who we are or where we've been or where we are now, or not knowing how to say. I think there is space for regret here. Like, oh, if I had only met this person after my manic phase. Or, oh, if I had only loved this person when I wasn't experiencing an emotional defi ...more
Tuck
Jul 27, 2012 Tuck rated it really liked it
new bookstore novella.
not much of bookstores in here, just alluding to the drudge a bit. of note, author is supposed to be writing a nonfiction working-in-a-bookstore-book perhaps called "bagging the beats at midnight"
this novella here has protag recording her thoughts and what she knows about her lover who has left her, and who perhaps she didn't even like very much.

the publisher spuyten duyvil seems interesting http://www.washington-heights.us/hist...
Michael DeCapite
Jun 15, 2012 Michael DeCapite rated it it was amazing
Watch the Doors as They Close is the novella version of sitting up in the dark listening to someone talk about her past as you stare at a slant of streetlight on the wall and realize the new extent of your feelings for her. The mysterious thing though is that it winds up being a conversation. Somehow you find the book’s narrator listening to you, the reader. The book is more than it appears to be while also being beautifully what it is. Karen Lillis makes it look easy.
Loren
Jan 31, 2013 Loren rated it really liked it
This book feels something like (500) Days of Summer in that it's not really a love story; it's a story about love, and it's a story about two very different kinds of love.

For what it is, this book is very good. The writing feels conversational, which drives the story and makes the reader want to continue to listen to the story.

The title is perfectly chosen.
Hamouda
Oct 09, 2013 Hamouda rated it liked it
I think the concept of the story is very good but I think the story got a bit confusing in some parts. I wanted to stop reading but the story was very exciting that I couldn't stop reading. I also like the style of writing of the authore. I think it's something new and very good to read. All in all well done its a good book .
Melanie Page
Jun 25, 2012 Melanie Page rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewer-copies
Review forthcoming this summer in JMWW!

Amber McDaniel
Amber McDaniel rated it it was ok
May 02, 2016
Jane L
Jane L rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Alex Kudera
Alex Kudera marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Rami Shamir
Rami Shamir rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Lujan0133
Lujan0133 rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Esther Greenwood
Esther Greenwood rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Miranda
Miranda rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Carole Ault
Carole Ault marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Karen Lillis is the author of four short novels, most recently, Watch the Doors as They Close (Spuyten Duyvil Novella Series). The Nervous Breakdown raved about the book: "One of the finest pieces of independent literature of 2012, Lillis has broken the mold of the classic New York City love story." With sharp insight and black humor, Lillis’ fiction and narrative nonfiction tell vivid tales of wa
More about Karen Lillis...