Start by marking “The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)

The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone 0.5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,316 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Eight years ago Cotton Malone was an agent for the Justice Department, handling the toughest and most sensitive international investigations. But sometimes things became intensely personal. In his latest eBook original short story, New York Times bestselling author Steve Berry lays out just such a tale—one with shocking historical implications.

Cotton Malone never cared f
Published April 2nd 2012 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Admiral's Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Admiral's Mark

Pam
This is an excellent short story and lead-in to Mr. Berry's upcoming book "The Columbus Affair" due out in May 2012. I was initially disappointed because the short story involved Cotton Malone (the ongoing hero of many of Steve Berry's novels) and the upcoming book will not be a Cotton Malone book. (I am definitely one of "Malone's Clones" as Mr. Berry calls his fans.) However, there are a number of tie-ins from the short story to the upcoming book (based on the synopsis of "The Columbus Affair" ...more
Matt
A great little story to read while driving from A to B. Cotton Malone is headed down to Haiti to look into the death of his brother-in-law. What he discovers is more than a drowning accident and opens the door on some historical Americana related to Columbus.

Berry is at it again with his most-loved character, who likes to stick his neck out and solve crimes unrelated to his daily life. Always revealing another layer of the Malone character in the most unorthodox manner, Berry has the reader hook
Kim
The latest short ebook from Steve Berry is both a prequel to the Cotton Malone series as well as the new book The Columbus Affair. A short, quick adventure to Haiti tied in with the lost wreck of the Santa Maria, flagship of controversial historical figure Christopher Columbus.

There wasn't a lot to this story and I'm not sure it needed to be released by itself. It feels like it would have been better used as a prologue instead of a way to get more money from fans. If this is the way Steve Berry
Bernie Charbonneau
Jun 02, 2014 Bernie Charbonneau rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cotton Malone Fans
Trying to catch up on my most trusted authors that I have fallen behind on so this novella came in a package. This is supposedly a prequel to his Columbus Affair release that I have read a couple of years ago. I had to go back and refresh my memory about the background but once done, this story was quite informative about the central characters, villains, that transpired in the “Columbus” novel. I always enjoy Mr. Berry novels and this little ditty was quite fun. It is a novella so creating acti ...more
Kathy
Libby Chester
Great story! This is the first book by Steve Berry that I've read, and I'm hooked. Cotton Malone is a great character and while some scenes stretch credibility, I became quickly interested and willing to stretch my limits on what's believable. The mystery behind Malone's brother-in-law, Scott Brown's death is compelling. Add to that Malone's hesitance to investigate the death. What better than a reluctant hero? Malone's marriage is on the rocks, and he's missed most of his son's childhood, so as ...more
Neil
Despite this only being a short story it has the typical traits of a full length novel from Steve Berry. A well thought out plot and some well crafted characters lead the reader into a world of intrigue. Along the way we meet a shadowy Austrian, the Israeli Mossad and from the Magellan Billet there is Cotton Malone too, all set on the island of Haiti. I am hoping that everything will continue in the same vein in the Columbus Affair
Chris
Having not yet read any Cotton Malone adventures, this short story probably fell a little flat on me as a reader. Although it must be said that there was enough tid bits sprinkled throughout the story to explain who Malone is and the type of situations he finds himself in on a regular basis.

The story was good, the pacing was good. It almsot felt like a truncated novel. Sort of a full 350-450page story mashed in 45pages. naturally there were many things left out, but unlike many other short stori
Mike Manley
Good as usual.

This short story also introduces you to a few characters and sets it up for "The Columbus Affair" as a bit of background. It is not necessary to read this first, but it makes things go a bit more "inline".

Seth Kaplan
This was included with my copy of The Columbus Affair. Haven't read any other Cotton Malone books, but now probably will. Too short to add a whole lot to Columbus but does provide a nice connection to other works.
Lee
The prequel to the Cotton Malone novels, this book finds him investigating the death of his brother in law when he is still with the Magellan Billet. He travels to Haiti to see if he really drowned or if he was murdered. He runs across a rogue billionaire and Mossad while investigating, can he find out who is responsible for his death?
Jeremy Jones
Pretty good short story that sheds some light in THE COLUMBUS AFFAIR. It's almost too short, but Berry's style really shines here. Worth the read!
Tim Blandford
A fun prequel to The Columbus Affair and appreciate how Berry links Cotton Malone to the new character of Tom Sagan. A fun fast read.
Jerome Statema
This wasn't up to the standards that I've come to expect from Steve Berry. I know it was meant as a teaser/tie-in to his novel "The Columbus Affair", so I'm willing to give it a bit of leeway but, while it was successful in introducing the protagonist of the new novel, it also focused a lot more on Cotton Malone than I had expected it to. The way it introduced Tom Sagan was sort of in passing, and it seemed too simplistic. Likewise, the end of the story seemed rushed, sort of like it was just cu ...more
Paul Chandler
This is the first off the "Cotton Malone" series by Steve Berry that I have read. It was very well written and enjoyable. I am looking forward to reading more of the "Cotton Malone" series.
Ineke
Leuk boekje als voorloper van de Cotton Malone-serie.
Opmerkelijk hoe de schrijver in 40 bladzijden kans ziet om inhoud aan een verhaal te geven, zowel voor wat betreft de hoofdpersoon als voor het verhaal zelf.
Kevin Beck
This was a great story leading up to the "Columbus Affair". Great characters and pacing.
Alice
Racconto breve molto serrato e come sempre scritto magistralmente da Berry.
Brent Soderstrum
Prequel to The Columbus Affair. This is a 50 page short story in which we get a glimpse at issues and characters of The Columbus Affair. In this one Cotton Malone, who isn't in the CCA, goes to Haiti to investigate his brother-in-law's death while scuba diving. Scott Brown died while investigating a submerged old ship which appears to be the Santa Maria. During the investigation Cotton finds out that Scott was murdered by someone who has an interest in Columbus.

Quick little read that I read aft
Jc
Another Steve Berry novel that was almost predictable.
Tuomo
The Admiral's Mark reminds very much of Ian Fleming's Caribbean Bond stories. Excellent short story! Also, this is a substantial piece of writing and well worth the money (compared to Berry's Balkan Escape rip-off).
Pat Michaels
A short story in the Magellan Billet days of Cotton Malone. Interesting, but not that satisfying.
Karen Cameron
Usual stuff - this was probably a precursor for his Columbus Affair.
Mary Barleycorn
I began reading Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series from the beginning. I have loved every book and eBook.
Jeanette Miller
Feb 05, 2015 Jeanette Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Jeanette by: Library
Cotton Malone has a way of making you feel everything is going to turn out okay. Even in a foreign country, he makes a friend and then saves the friend from certain death while completing his necessary tasks. Bring on more Cotton!
David Schwan
I have to admit I started the Columbus Affair (about 30 pages) and then read this. While the Columbus Affair stands on it's own, reading this pre-story really helps me understand what's going on, that and any Cotton Malone story is worth reading. This story takes place before Cotton leaves the Magellan Billet and hints a a future person he is connected with.
Brian Williams
A secret agent investigates his brother-in-law's death in Haiti and stumbles upon a treasure hunt involving the Israeli Mossad. This piece billed as being a short story. Instead it was like a free sample for an upcoming novel, which is not what I expected. Regardless of that it was bland, not like other Steve Berry books I have read.
Douglas
A nice short prequel to the Columbus affair book available on Kindle. Quick story of that introduces antagonist of the Columbus Affair (Zacharia Simon) with some interaction with Cotton Malone. Tied in nicely why the Magellan Billet and the Israeli government where monitoring Simon.
Mike Emett
My first taste of the character Cotton Malone after finishing THE COLUMBUS AFFAIR. Though short and not adding much to the COLUMBUS novel it was still nice to see more travels and history and meet a new character in whose series I will start soon. I think I like this Cotton guy....
  • Red Templar (Templar, #6)
  • City of Screams (The Order of the Sanguines, #0.5)
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • The Secret Crown (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #6)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • White Lies (Dan Shepherd, #11)
  • The Sacred Blood

Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The Lincoln Myth, The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair, The Jefferson Key, The Emperor's Tomb, The Paris Vendetta, The Charlemagne Pursuit, The Venetian Betrayal, The Alexandria Link, The Templar Legacy, The Third Secret, The Ro
More about Steve Berry...

Cotton Malone (10 books)
  • The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2) The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1) The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3) The Romanov Prophecy The Amber Room