After My Own Heart

After My Own Heart

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The course of true love never did run straight...

Evie Day has never wanted a boyfriend she's gay, out and proud, and as far as she's concerned, her life is perfect that way. But when her girlfriend leaves her for a leggy blonde, everything changes her flat, her friends, her future and she finds herself having feelings for an old friend, who just happens to be a man. To sa...more
Paperback, First, 329 pages
Published 2012 by Limehouse Books

To ask other readers questions about After My Own Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After My Own Heart

Frances
It’s taken me a while to write this review but sometimes it’s impossible to read a book and then sit down and review it because for the past few weeks that book has moved alongside your life and intertwined with it. What I now call, thanks to Pinterest, a ‘book hangover’: http://pinterest.com/pin/107171666103... This book especially, with its fluid description of characters and relationships was so lifelike to me I felt these characters were real people. Now I know I do tend to get a little too...more
Lucy
My partner Liz's review

I was sent an advanced copy of this book to review and I’m so glad I got the opportunity to do so.

The book starts with the breakdown of a relationship. Evie and Kate have been living together as a couple for about five years and all of a sudden they break up. Looking back on their time Evie can see that it had it flaws but this still didn’t prepare her for the inevidatable.

Kate had been supporting one of their other friends who had equally just gone through a breakup and...more
Maria
Todettakoon, että pidin kirjasta. Paljon. Se osoittautui erinomaiseksi lajinsa edustajaksi. Hyviä kirjoja on kahta sorttia: niitä, joista haluaa heti kertoa suureen ääneen ja niitä, joita pitää pyöritellä hetki.

Tämä kirja ei muuta maailmaa. Se ei edes välttämättä ole Britannian lahja kanakirjallisuudelle. Se kuitenkin sai minut pysähtymään lukemisessani paikoitellen, tuntemaan sitä sellaista katkeransuloista melkeinkateutta: "Miksi minä en osaa sanoa asioita näin?"

Juoni kantoi alusta loppuun ja...more
Rebecca
Evie is left desolate after discovering that her long-term girlfriend has been cheating on her with a mutual friend. Her journey to recovery (with pit stops for sexual confusion, rediscovered friends, and self-pity) will resonate with anyone who has put on a sardonic brave face to mask heartbreak. Stunning one-liners make your stomach clench with the memory of when you, albeit less eloquently, thought them yourself. To describe this novel as ‘lesbian chick lit’ is to undervalue a relentlessly ho...more
Catherine
I was already hooked after the first few paragraphs of this emotional roller-coaster. Sophia Blackwell has crafted her central characters so convincingly that I very quickly felt I had a vested interest in the course their lives were to take. Relationship classification, sexuality, mental health and equality are just a few of the 'topics' that help to make this book more than just a fanciful divertissement, giving you food for thought as well as a good laugh and a cry!
Nigel
It was a good book, i really enjoyed it. Really its just about a girl going through a confusing year-long break-up, taking the reader along for the ride.And boy is it a doozy of an emotional roller coaster.

Gets real personal in there, almost disconcertingly so. I mean, I can only read about how amazing Roshan smells so many times before I yell in the tube "I get it!" and start skipping paragraphs.
Maisa
This is a good book, beautifully written with a likable main character, but not that memorable. At times there was way too much going on, and I wasn't very fond of the way absolutely everything revolved around Evie's love interests.

It was the language I liked the most – it's stunning! I just wish there had been more to the story.
Ange Chan
I cannot recommend this book enough! Funny, witty, all-in-all a great story which makes you think outside the usual confines of a love story.... absolutely loved it. More novels please Sophia!
Ben Lovegrove
I liked the way it successfully balanced the tragedy with humour. It's a beautifully produced book which complements Sophia's volume of poetry.
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Anja Schindler
Anja Schindler marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Emiloo
Emiloo added it
Mar 23, 2014
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jun 23, 2013
Becca Jenkins
Becca Jenkins marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Sophia Blackwell was born in Newcastle and read English at Oxford. She lives in North London and has been performing poetry for almost a decade and has featured at Glastonbury, Edinburgh, the Big Chill and the Secret Garden Party among many other festivals.

Her debut collection of poetry, Into Temptation, was published in 2009 by Tollington Press and her first novel, After My Own Heart, was publis...more
More about Sophia Blackwell...
Into Temptation Into Temptation Men & Women