Start by marking “The Greek Coffin Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Greek Coffin Mystery
Preview

The Greek Coffin Mystery (Ellery Queen Detective #4)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From the very beginning, the Khalkis case struck a somber note. It began, as was peculiarly harmonious in the light of what was to come, with the death of an old man. Georg Khalkis, internationally famous art dealer and collector, died of heart failure. After his funeral, his attorney found that the will was missing and immediately called in the district attorney.
When Insp
Paperback, Pocket Book #179, 322 pages
Published 1945 by Pocket Book (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about The Greek Coffin Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greek Coffin Mystery

Luffy Monkey D.
The two authors who have taken the pen name of Ellery Queen are many things, but great writers they are not. By great I mean - maybe - humanizing. To see someone solve a rubik cube in record time inspires nothing but awe; I don't mean that in a good way by the way. They do not know how to make the journey to the final solution of the mystery memorable. But such is the force with which the authors have created this story that even an average minded person like me followed most of the ongoing dev ...more
Mmyoung
Ellery Queen [1:] and S. S. Van Dine each began to write and publish a successful detective series in the late 1920s/early 1930s. The lead character in each was a young man who had a personal relationship with members of the law enforcement community in New York City (close friends with the DA in the case of Vance and son of a prominent Inspector on the force in the case of Queen) but was not himself officially part of the force. As the series begin there are many parallels and a few major diffe ...more
Mary
A wealthy art collector and gallery owner in a midtown Manhattan mansion in the 1930s (I think) is found dead, apparently of a heart attack. No mystery there. But the will, which is known to have been changed the day before is death, is missing. The presumptive heir is able to call in the US District Attorney! Well, so it happens in Ellery Queen's privileged world. The first mystery, then, is to find the will and this Ellery attempts to do by eliminating every possible place except the coffin it ...more
Adam Graham
This book while not the first Ellery Queen book ever published is chronologically the earliest Queen novel. The thing to understand about Ellery Queen is that unlike Nero Wolfe, Philip Marlowe, or Father Brown, there's not a whole lot of characters or wisdom to be garnered beyond the mystery, but when the mystery is good, it carries the rest of the book.

Such is the case here. A man dies and the latest version of his will is missing. A murder soon follows The book proceeds according to typical pl
Gilbert M.
One of the joys of reading Ellery Queen novels is that moment toward the end of the book when the narrator steps out of character and challenges the reader to solve the mystery. I’ve read four of them now and I haven’t come close to getting the solution right. This time I caught one of the red herrings with a fair degree of accuracy—which means I was wrong, but not as clueless as I sometimes feel when I reach this point.

This novel is a slow read but well worth your time. (It’s slow because you w
Cindy Barnett
Keeps one guessing, a good thing. Narrated clearly & well by Mark Peckham. Classic education is shown (proof of the dumb-down education). Loved the romp to yesteryear. I thought it was her... (*︶`*) ...more
Christine
There are certain books--mostly older mysteries--that maintain my interest but also help me nod off to sleep after several pages. I usually read these on my iPad, using a sepia setting that also encourages sleep (vs. the default blue light of digital screens), especially when I have a hard time returning to sleep in the middle of the night. This might not be the highest praise for a book, of course, but nevertheless, they're books I did not give up on.

This was the first Ellery Queen mystery I'd
Brian Palmer
The detective hero, Ellery Queen, is a know-it-all unofficial detective who summons the mighty forces of logic to solve the cases. The author expects the reader to, at some point, be able to figure out who did it by all the clues being dropped.

The mystery was intriguing, with lots of false trails and a large cast of suspects, but the writing is somewhat shallow (the case is what you read it), and Ellery Queen pretentious in an old-fashioned way, repeatedly resorting to quotes in french, latin, o
Stephen Osborne
A classic of the golden age of mysteries, this book features both Queen's Challenge to the Reader and his trademark "false" solutions to the crime. Well done, but the explanation is a bit wordy.
4cats
Great classic detection from the master ellery queen. In this book ellery investigates a possible double murder, great sense of time and place.
Salvatore
A great mystery. if you can figure it out you are definitely smarter than me. It will keep you guessing.
Meaghan
As a nerdy child who read just about any mystery she could get her hands on, I often picked up musty copies of the Ellery Queen Magazine with stories by dozens of contributing writers at yard sales. And in recent years I’ve watched some episodes of the show starring Jim Hutton. But somehow, I had never read an original Ellery Queen novel.

Based on the pulpiness of the magazine (in both content and printing material), I presumed the novel would have that hard-boiled grittiness to it. I expected da
Jessi
Oh. My. God. It took SOOO long to finish this book. I just couldn't get into it. The characters were uninteresting, Ellery was just annoying, and the multiple solutions were mystifying.
Greorg Khalkis, blind art dealer, has been found dead By the time they figure out that there's hinky stuff going on, his body is already buried.
Yep. Long, boring story. Not worth it.
Donna
This was one darn good mystery. First of all, Ellery "solves" it four times. Secondly, while I did pick out the most important clue, I was totally befuddled as to the third "solution." Thirdly, I NEVER would have guessed the correct solution. While Ellery can be a bit snobby and annoying at times, he is the best (most intricate) logician I've ever seen. If you are looking for a mystery which explains why the clues must give you this result, this is the book for you. Also, all Ellery Queen's (amo ...more
Annareads
This is one of the older Ellery Queen mysteries, when the two cousins first started writing. It is excellently plotted and the twists and turns and possible multiple solutions are dazzling. Some of the later Queen novels, I don't like. Some, I do. But this is a good introduction to the series!
Donald De Morris
A bit old-fashioned, but what would you expect? Ellery Queen was written in the late 40s. A few typos in the ebook, but not enough to be a distraction. I did have a problem with one of the main clews (clues), but to state what it was would be a major plot spoiler. Overall a decent book, but there are better Ellery Queens.
Linda
It hurts me to give Ellery Queen such a low rating, but this novel was slow and boring for long stretches, Ellery an obnoxious snob. Even so, the plot itself was interesting enough that I stayed with it. I realize it is an early Ellery Queen novel and the team improved their style with time.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed it. But I'm not rushing out to tell everyone about it. Apparently this author/character was really famous for the first part of the Twentieth century. .. This was the first time I'd heard of him. Typical crime mystery, really.
Thanks to the editors of the drop caps series for introducing me to him, though!
Epicreader
Honestly, I could not even finish this. It was just too dated and some parts were just plain offensive. I know you have to accept some things as attitudes of the times, but the offensive stereotyped characters were too much for me.
James Saunders
The Greek Coffin Mystery

This is a classic mystery. I messed up. I was really suspicious of Miss Brett. I forgot how clever the author was in setting up his mystery. A bit nostalgic but a very good book.
JULIAN DOUGLAS-SMITH
Every bit as good as I expected!

No wonder Agatha Christie looked forward so much to every new Ellery Queen novel! What a brilliant plot with a devilish twist right at the very end!
Katie
I probably won't read any more from this series. The idea is that it's a logic puzzle where you are given all the information you need to figure out the answer, and it felt a little like that-- too clinical, not enough of the human element. From the beginning, when all the characters were introduced at once and I couldn't keep anyone straight, I knew that this wasn't going to be as good as my favorites: Dorothy Sayers, P.D. James, Rex Stout-- they have recurring characters but each mystery featu ...more
Linda Howe Steiger
Wow. Talk about complicated, puzzle based plots. This one out does Christie by a long shot, in a "prequel" to the rest of the Ellery Queen books in which we learn of young Ellery's embarrassing mistakes as he leaps rather too quickly to conclusions. Great fun, but pay attention as characters and motivations shift around rapidly.
Jeannette
Generally, I enjoy Ellery Queen but this one seemed to drag on and on. It does have plenty of red herrings and plot twists along with the usual reader challenge.
Peggie Ross
Ellery Queen is a classic......Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot of the United States. I have read a few of his exploits and always find them to be very complicated but interesting. This one is one of his first cases.
Victoria
I enjoy "old-fashioned" mysteries where logic rather than weapons triumph but this was Tedious with a capital T.
Kathy
Sometimes Queen's logic gets a bit convoluted and hard to follow, but nevertheless, a great romp.
Nancy
I don't know why but I couldn't get into this. It just seemed too dated.
Janette Brown
We get a chance to see Ellery Queen make very human mistakes.
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Canary Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #2)
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • The Circular Staircase
  • The Layton Court Mystery (A Roger Sheringham Case)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • The Black Camel (Charlie Chan, #4)
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
aka Barnaby Ross.

"Ellery Queen" was a pen name created and shared by two cousins, Frederic Dannay (1905-1982) and Manfred B. Lee (1905-1971), as well as the name of their most famous detective. Born in Brooklyn, they spent forty two years writing, editing, and anthologizing under the name, gaining a reputation as the foremost American authors of the Golden Age "fair play" mystery.

Although eventual
More about Ellery Queen...

Ellery Queen Detective (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Roman Hat Mystery
  • The French Powder Mystery
  • The Dutch Shoe Mystery
  • The Egyptian Cross Mystery (Ellery Queen #5)
  • American Gun Mystery
  • The Siamese Twin Mystery
  • The Chinese Orange Mystery
  • The Spanish Cape Mystery
  • The Lamp of God
  • Halfway House
The Roman Hat Mystery The Chinese Orange Mystery Cat Of Many Tails The French Powder Mystery The Siamese Twin Mystery