Start by marking “La grève des moutons” as Want to Read:
La grève des moutons
Preview

La grève des moutons

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The sheep on the farm are sick of getting sheared -- so they decide to go on strike! Things get heated as the rest of the animals start to take sides, eventually leading to a furry, feathery scuffle. But when they all sit down together, the sheep learn how important their wool is to the farm, and the animals come up with a creative solution to everyone's problem.This color ...more
Hardcover
Published 2009 by Pere Castor

To ask other readers questions about La grève des moutons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La grève des moutons

Amy
Huh. Does there really need to be a children's book about labor politics? There's a nice message about compromise, but I think the author should have left it at that. It gets too technical with terms like "police brutality" and "delegates." I think it's important for kids to know about the ideals that the labor movement espouses (mostly that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with respect), but I'm not sure childhood is the right time to introduce ideas like police brutality.
Cat Fithian
Too adult of a theme for preschoolers. Would work as an interesting problem-solving discussion book for school aged kids, perhaps. Not bad for conflict management.
Mary Miserandino
The sheep are tired of being shorn every year and then being cold! They decide they aren't going to cooperate anymore and rebel. The other animals in the farm don't know what to do about it. Some agree with the sheep, but others think that giving wool is the purpose of the sheep on the farm. Eventually, they decide to actually march in protest of shearing. The author gives a detailed description of the protesters' march, and of the brawl that ensues when the other animals attempt to stop the she ...more
Barbara
In the same style with which he told The Chickens Build a Wall and The Geese March in Step, this French author once again tackles social justice through a farm setting. Fed up with being sheared of all their wool and subsequently becoming cold, the sheep mount a rebellion and refuse to do as they're told. Trouble ensues, and all the farm animals, including the dogs and the chickens get involved. Finally, the animals figure out a solution to the problem, and while the sheep still get sheared, the ...more
Nick
This odd little picture book is either a cute little book about farm animals, or a complex allegory about injustice and responses to same, and perhaps about looking for compromise.
It all started with the sheep going on strike over the issue of involuntary shearing. After all, would YOU like to have all of your hair removed and turned into something for someone else's benefit?
The situation goes downhill from there, and chaos results until someone suggests an interesting compromise. I'm not sure t
Peacegal
In the tradition of CLICK, CLACK, MOO comes a book about farm animals who organize for better "wages" and a better life.

With corporations rapidly quashing unions, the younger generation may be totally unaware of the concept. This book can bring up a lot of good conversations, including farm animal welfare, what we owe the animals we use, fairness, protests and boycotts, workers' rights, and bargaining for a compromise that helps both workers and the company.
Rachel Watkins
This book shows a conflict, public demonstration, negotiation, brawl, and finally compromise. All this happens in the barnyard because the sheep are tired of being shorn. It's cold without their wool! Use this book to teach children about free speech, how to ask for what they want with supporting evidence, and most importantly, how to compromise. This book helps teach several life lessons!
Becky
I like children's books about labor activism, so this may have gotten an extra star just for the premise. This is not a book for very young children - definitely not for story time. It's nice for older kids to read on their own or with an adult. It could be a good tool for for introducing topics in politics or history in a fun way. Overall, The Sheep Go On Strike is amusing.
Lynn
I'm a total fan of Dumont's Sheep books but this one may be my favorite. What a hoot! And really - when you think about it, the sheep have every right to protest. This could be really fun to use with older kids when introducing labor movements in history.
Lynn
I enjoyed "The Geese March in Step" better, and not sure how this would go over in today's uproar over police brutality. I think this book is cute, but would hesitate to read it to a class of students.
Pamela
Definitely an adult-directed text, and of course, written by a Frenchman! This was amusing, but not really one for the kiddos. Pair with Animal Farm for socialist animal shenanigans!
Paula
When the sheep on a farm go on strike rather than having their warm coats sheared off, the other animals begin taking sides until, at last, a compromise can be reached.
Jean Brodahl
I howled with laughter reading this book! it's becoming quite apparent that I LOVE picture books written and illustrated by artists from other countries.
B
Too much text! And such a terrible font. But I love sheep and explaining labor organizing to children, so I'll go for it.
Stacy
Too wordy for storytime. Cute idea, lovely illustrations, but the story itself did not deliver as well as I thought it would.
Edward Sullivan
Another humorous take on a social justice issue from Dumont, this time on notions of fairness in labor.
Julia Frederick
It was very wordy, and the pages looked cluttered between the illustrations and the typeface.
Jocelyn
I've read books along this same theme that were done better. This was rather wordy and drawn out.
The arc was a bit weird. All kinds of frenzy, then they simply act like "sheep".
Trish
This book was okay. It felt like it took a long time to get to the point. It is for older little kids.
Alida
Brilliant! Never too late to teach a kid about a just economic system.
Deanna
Cute story, illustrations are fun.
Meow Meow Mia
Original edition was in French.
Angela Alcorn
This is what French-Australian kids read when they've grown out of Where Is the Green Sheep?. Maybe.

Where Is the Green Sheep? by Mem Fox
Wendy Garland
Wendy Garland marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
The Chickens Build a Wall A Blue So Blue The Geese March in Step Je suis un ours Bébert l'escargot