The Best Day of My Life

The Best Day of My Life

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  10 reviews
'The best day of my life was the day I found out I was all alone in the world.'Even though Valli spends her days picking coal and fighting with her cousins, life in the coal town of Jharia, India, is the only life she knows. The only sight that fills her with terror is the monsters who live on the other side of the train tracks - the lepers. When Valli discovers that that...more
168 pages
Published 2012 by Allen & Unwin

Betty
This is a gorgeous read. The protagonist is a young girl, born into poverty in a small village in India. She escapes her life to live on the streets of Kolkota and finds she has leprosy. Her positive view on the world, along with the insight into a different culture and place, make this novel a delight to read. Its target audience is 12-13 year olds.
Kreisheia
This is a truly inspiring tale.I was really intrigued by the imagery created. This is about a young girl who experiences the most outrageous journey and adventure of her life. Jharia was simply known for picking up coal everyday. She was in a place of her own, considered insivible.She wants to seek more with herself and others. She yet discoveres more about herself than she could ever imagine she was capable of. From seeing misty grey skies to clear colours. Just because of her fears, problems a...more
Bec
Aug 23, 2013 Bec rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
The more Deborah Ellis I read, the more I love her. Her books have the power to change lives.
Nova

Deborah Ellis, best known for her ‘Parvana’ or ‘Breadwinner’ trilogy has written another well-researched book about issues relating to children in the third world. This book is written in the first person and I was amazed at the insights Ellis had into Valli’s daily life and even her thought processes. It’s almost as if Ellis herself spent time living on the streets in Kolkata.
Valli’s daily life consists of sleeping in a crowded room, picking up coal around the coal pits in Jharia, India; and st...more
Lee
My first...REVIEW! So, here it goes:

The best books I read are the ones I take something away from them: a quote, a life lesson, an experience, a wonderful and creative story idea. And this book? Pure brilliance.

It's one of those books that you can read over and over again, and YOU'LL STILL LOVE IT. I must thank my younger sister for borrowing this book at her school library, otherwise I would never have opportunity to come across such a masterpiece!!! After reading this book, I've begun reading...more
Jen
Apr 26, 2014 Jen added it
interesting story Ive read other stories by Ellis :)
Michelle
Valli is a coal-picker who escapes from her miserable life by jumping on the back of a truck and hitching a ride to the city. There she survives through her smarts and good nature, believing that things should be borrowed then left for someone else who needs them. When she meets a kind doctor who offers to fix her feet, damaged by leprosy, her life changes.
Katie
A good read, though I was concerned about the character of Dr Kaur being male - NOT what I expected!
Ramandeep
It is a very intersting book and it is a very good book
Lizzy
really good. Quick read too :)
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ahmed Fouda
Ahmed Fouda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sabine
Sabine added it
Jun 23, 2014
Vishwam
Vishwam marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Edit marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Elisha Eva
Elisha Eva marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Skyla Gosselin
Skyla Gosselin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Matandpz
Matandpz marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Harir
Harir added it
Mar 30, 2014
Raffi
Raffi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Georgia
Georgia is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Deborah Ellis has achieved international acclaim with her courageous and dramatic books that give Western readers a glimpse into the plight of children in developing countries.

She has won the Governor General's Award, Sweden's Peter Pan Prize, the Ruth Schwartz Award, the University of California's Middle East Book Award, the Jane Addams Children's Book Award and the Vicky Metcalf Award.

A long-t...more
More about Deborah Ellis...
The Breadwinner (The Breadwinner, #1) Parvana's Journey (The Breadwinner, #2) Mud City (The Breadwinner, #3) My Name Is Parvana (The Breadwinner, #4) I Am a Taxi