Start by marking “What Ever Happened to Jan Phillips? (Jan Phillips, #1)” as Want to Read:
What Ever Happened to Jan Phillips? (Jan Phillips, #1)

What Ever Happened to Jan Phillips? (Jan Phillips #1)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Eighteen-year-old Jan Phillips is down and out, hustling johns in Philadelphia’s Tenderloin District, when he catches the eye of Tim Morris, a powerful lawyer with ties to a secret organization. Against his better judgment, Jan is soon caught up in a web of intrigue that will change his life forever—or end it prematurely.

It’s 4:00 a.m., and the phone is ringing. Waking fro
Published March 16th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about What Ever Happened to Jan Phillips?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Ever Happened to Jan Phillips?

Lady*M
May 17, 2012 Lady*M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, dnf, glbt, suspense

First, the cover for this book is one of the best I have seen in this publishing niche. I'm sure it will top any Best Cover list this year. Well done, Ms. Cain!

Second, this book contains two stories, previously published separately and my rating is for the first story - Bought and Paid For - alone. At this point, I don't know if or when I'll read the second one. If that happens, I'll revise my rating accordingly.

The additional half star is for overall competent writing. The story itself
Smith Barney
I never did find out WTF happened to Jan thanks to my ADD-proportioned-noggin getting sidetracked by something shiny in my peripheral vision (another book)..and so the story of my slutty reading ways goes.

Shelving ATM because sometimes I do lovingly pick back up a book where I left off even if it's when I get around to it.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is what a friend had to say and it's something that would really upset me, too:
"No, what made me so angry was the "loving" relationship between Tim and Jan. The idea of an older man buying and grooming younger man for the better and brighter future isn't a new one. The buying though in this book was literal and the grooming consisted of sexual and psychological abuse. We were told Tim saw Jan as his opportunity of atonement. He did it by reenacting his own abuse with Jan as his victim. The
Shira Anthony
An intelligent and addicting story, and not your run of the mill M/M rom, by any means. Mr. Halfhill has created a poignant character in Jan Phillips, a kid from the wrong side of the tracks who ends up in the middle of an international intrigue that will have you guessing throughout.

(view spoiler)
Karen
Jul 17, 2016 Karen added it
DNF'ed at 42%. Way too inconsistent, too much going on, and the book couldn't decide if it was a thriller, a romance, a spy story, or what. Random interactions that made no sense between characters, introduction of plot lines that went nowhere and fizzled out. And the characters themselves bounced back and forth in attitude and affect, also in ways that really made no sense.

I'm just surprised I made it as far as I did in this book
Anders
4.5 stars. I enjoyed this book and especially the character of Jan. He's such a mess, and it's not really his fault. He gets kicked out of his house because his mother can't afford to feed him, ends up on the street, and is "rescued" by Tim. The relationship between Jan and Tim is definitely on the edge of dubcon and noncon, although Jan really comes to love Tim, in spite of Tim's cruelty.

The book is really two books in one, and in the second book, Jan gets caught up in an international intrigue
Nightcolors
I agree with another reviewer who said this book was strange. This is a tough book to rate. I'm giving it three stars, because I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure if I can say I wholly liked it either. There were moments when it was only okay to moments when it was kinda impressive.
Kristy Maitz
May 21, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it liked it
I have to say its strange book. Plot is full and a lot is happening but romance is very low. I somehow lost interest true the book so I went true it just with red line.
Erica
Erica added it
Aug 14, 2016
KellyJo
KellyJo marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Smolsatann
Smolsatann rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Juli
Juli marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Paige (TheBookVulture)
Paige (TheBookVulture) marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Driima
Driima added it
Jun 26, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jamie's Sassenach
Jamie's Sassenach marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dreamer80
Dreamer80 marked it as to-read
DeeNeez
DeeNeez marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Kragthang
Kragthang marked it as to-read
Cornelia
Cornelia marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Jan Phillips (5 books)
  • Bought and Paid For: A Jan Phillips Novel
  • Scimitar: Second Jan Phillips Novel
  • Sons (Jan Phillips, #2)
  • Sparkles (Jan Phillips, #3)