Redemption (Hearts of Stone, #1)

Redemption (Hearts of Stone #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Aude Vanier is a sixteen-year-old rock star with a problem--stone monsters keep attacking her. And when they do, she finds herself chanting in a language she doesn't understand.

Guillaume de Rouen has been stuck as a gargoyle on a church for the last seventy years, until Aude's chanting releases him back to his seventeen-year-old human form.

An ancient Iroquois prophecy abou...more
Published September 8th 2012 by Flux (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsEverneath by Brodi AshtonUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiCinder by Marissa MeyerGlitch by Heather Anastasiu
2012 YA Debuts
59th out of 109 books — 142 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Selection by Kiera CassEverneath by Brodi AshtonA Million Suns by Beth RevisExiled by RaShelle Workman
Breath Taking Covers Of 2011-2012
452nd out of 500 books — 862 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca A. Rogers
Read this back when it was just a Word document. Very unique and interesting, and uses something I don't see often in the paranormal world—gargoyles.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

Gargoyles! It’s the first time I’ve read a YA paranormal focusing on gargoyles. The plot was intriguing, the characters were fun too. However, while the novel starts off with a bang, offering all these refreshing elements, it goes downhill fast. By the end, the main characters becomes whiny and needy, and I didn’t like her all that much. A decent novel all the same, but not one of my favorites.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

This was yet another young-adult supernatural tale that started off quite strongly - with several unique elements - and then faltered midway, ending with disappointment and relief that it was over. Much like how I felt reading The Demon Catchers of Milan, Launier's Redemption is a novel that starts off so well and then manages to squander all that potential in favor of the same old same old things seen so often in the in the YA/PNR genre: a stalkeri...more
Haley
3.5 stars.

Firstly, a thanks to Flux Books and Netgalley for giving me the chance to read this book.

Redemption is one of those novels that haunt you with excellent, puzzling questions. With an action filled beginning and a hope filled ending, there is no better story about magic and love.

Aude...Aude loves music, is part Native American and accidentally turned several stone gargoyles into teenage boys. And that summarizes the first three pages of the book.

Guillaume was one of said gargoyles. He...more
Bodea
I was really excited about reading this book because, after werewolves, gargoyles are my muber one thing! There are just so few books out their about gargoyles so I consider it a treat when I come across one. Unfortunately, I haven't come across one that completely hits the spot, so to speak. Though I enjoyed Redemption, I thought the characters could have been more ...endearing and the story was a little too slow for my tastes. It starts off more slow than intriguing and stays that way for a lo...more
Devon Ashley

Can time really heal all wounds? Probably...unless you're stuck in stone with nothing but your thoughts to haunt you for seventy years.

For the past seventy years, Guillaume, his father and his two brothers have perched atop the four corners of a church in Montreal as stone gargoyles. At one point they were able to shift into human and gargoyle-like forms, but since the death of the witch they protected, their essence faded away and they turned into stone, alive in spirit and forced to watch life...more
Michelle Witte
One word: Gargoyles

Well, okay, a few more: FINALLY a paranormal romance I actually like.

Plus: It's set in Montreal, where I lived for 2 years. <3

Kilikina
Apr 07, 2012 Kilikina marked it as to-read
Shelves: must-read, september
This sounds amazing! Gargoyles? Definitely something new.
Marsha
Jul 27, 2012 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
(2.5 Stars) This arc was provided to me by netgalley.com

I truly wanted to love "Redemption;" unfortunately, the plot did not live up to its' potential. Aude Vanier is a 16 year old teenage girl living in Montreal with her flighty mother. While walking in the city to meet up with some friends and fellow band mates, Aude is attacked by what seems to be a stone monster. In her head she begins hearing drums and chanting. The monster runs away as she feels a slight earthquake tremble. What she does n...more
Kristina
What drew me to this book was that it was about Gargoyles, something that we have not seen much of (if at all) in young adult. Add a 17 year old boy that was trapped in stone, and I could not wait to read Redemption and started it the day that I was approved on Netgalley.

The first 75% of the book, I kept waiting for something to happen. I was hoping for explanations. Every time I thought we were going to learn something, it turned out the character changed it's mind about explaining things. I sp...more
Winnie
Jun 06, 2012 Winnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc

First off, Striking Cover Art! And I appreciate the originality of this book. This book is unlike anything I have read before, it’s a paranormal romance and it isn’t about Vampires or Shifter as are in trend these days. In this debut book, the otherworldly creature is a gargoyle, a human who has a heart of stone… could he love? And even if its heart is penetrated, will he survive?

Aude, AKA "Odd" is a freak or so she believes, as it turns out… well she just needed to understand her family tree. W...more
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 8/1/12: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2012/...

I was so excited going into this one; it sounded like such a creative idea. Witches, Gargoyles, and a Native American prophecy equal a lot of potential in my mind. I have long been compelled by a well done witch tale and I have to give Veronique Launier bonus points for making her witches different from the traditional ones. Her variety wield essence rather than spells. In addition, I don't think I've ever read a YA bo...more
Pam Steinke
3.5 Stars

GoodReads Synopsis: Guillaume - For five hundred years I've existed as a gargoyle. Perched atop an old Montreal church, I've watched idly as humanity wanders by. With the witch Marguerite gone, there is no one left to protect, nothing to care about. I never planned to feel again. But then a girl released me from my stone restraints, allowing me to return as a seventeen-year-old human boy. I must find out all I can about this girl's power . . .

Aude - Getting attacked twice in as many da...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A gothic love story with the potential to become an interesting series.

Opening Sentence: Humanity wandered by, the way it always had.

The Review:

Redemption is a gargoyle love story with some potential. As a teenager I would have probably fell in love with this book but as an adult not quite so much. Aude, pronounced “Ode” but everyone calls her “Odd” is a musically talented young woman who is looking forward to a future in music with her ba...more
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Aude, called 'Odd' by her friends, thinks that she is abnormal to begin with. All she wants is to stay in the background of life, except when she's on stage with her band Lucid Pill. But then she is attacked twice in one week and her life begins to spiral out of control, shifting her priorities. It might be important to finally find out who her Father was after all...and maybe puzzle out why she might have a connection to an ancient Mohawk prophecy that seems to fortell the apocalypse. Guillame...more
Katy
I thought the majority part of this book was kind of boring, and I couldn't really get into it until the last fourth of the book.

For a concept, I like that Launier wrote about gargoyles, a subject that has not been played out in mainstream young adult fiction. However, the story progressed kind of slowly, and there wasn't much action nor did I feel much of a connection with the characters in this book.

Like I said, the action didn't really happened until near the end of the book. And when it did,...more
Shaheen
For some reason I thought this was a book about a girl who was a gargoyle – serves me right for requesting a review copy of a book after only glancing at the blurb. So it took me a while to figure out that the gargoyle in question was a guy – and that a girl had woken him from a seventy year old sleep. Intriguing premise, but I think there was a lot of potential in this book that went unexplored, and not only did it end up being like all the other YA romances out there, it was kind of boring.

The...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5-4 Stars!

The synopsis of this book piqued my interest right away, I mean, gargoyles that come to life? Pretty darn different and I am always looking for something different in the YA genre. So of course I had to give this one a try to see what it was all about.

It started off pretty well, we jump right into the story and right away I could tell this was going to be something fun and something definitely different.

I really enjoyed how the narrative jumped back and forth between the two main cha...more
Amy (Amy's Book Den)
Guillaume has watched humans pass by below his perch for centuries. Without a witch to grant them essence, he and his ‘brothers’ are stuck in their stone gargoyle forms. But then Aude comes along and somehow frees them. Strange things start happening to Aude; first she’s attacked by a terra cota man, and then she hears drums and the voice of a young man inside her head! Aude think she’s going crazy, but the reality is more unbelievable. Her heritage and powers are awakening, and she might be the...more
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews
This is an ARC and will be published in September 2012.

Redemption combines Native American and French Canadian cultures in a paranormal way. Guillaume (no idea how to pronounce this name) is a gargoyle, but not in the sense that we know gargoyles. Apparently hundreds of years ago a tradition began where witches “made” gargoyles to protect them. In exchange for their protection, the witches kept the gargoyles alive by providing them with an “essence”.

Guillaume and his “dad” and two “brothers” wer...more
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Equal parts intriguing and aggravation.

Redemption caught my attention because there was gargoyles in the plot line. I thought it would be nice to read something with a paranormal creature I haven’t seem much of.

The storyline had promise and it was interesting how they made it such that gargoyles used to be human, and can take on various forms: human, stone, and reptilian.

Aude (or Odd as she is often called) inadvertently released 4 gargoyles that have been locked in stone, on the top of a church...more
Frishawn Rasheed
Just when you thought the world of supernatural fiction couldn't get any better. Along comes authoress Veronique Launier and her deliciously haunting tale, Redemption.
Tired of the run of the mill fare of were with a side of vamp and a zombie chaser?
How about Gargoyles?
That's right...
Gargoyles.
Not just any old gargoyles will do, you say?
Well, I've got a whole family of hot French gargoyles living in Canada.
Ooooh la la...right?

Guillaume and Aude are both characters that you will want to get to k...more
Tiffany
I received a free e-ARC of this book to review from Flux Books via NetGalley.com

I was really excited to read this book. I read the blurb and I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. Not that it wasn't good, it just didn't meet my expectations.

It is told from alternating points of view of the two main characters, Aude and Guillaume. This doesn't always work for books but in this case it fits well. I liked being about to see both sides of the story.

I'll start by list...more
Gretchen Hohmeyer
This review originally appeared HERE on my blog, My Life is a Notebook.

Yeah, you heard that right, this book is about GARGOYLES. Awesomesauce, right? Well, that was what I thought when I saw that there description on NetGalley and decided it could be the answer to my prayers for uniqueness. And you know what?

It kinda was.

Reading about something as new and exciting to me as gargoyles was amazing. I don’t know about you, but in a market saturated with vampires, angels and–coming soon!–mermaids, I...more
Marilyn Almodóvar
I’ve been wanting to read Redemption, since I read about it on Ms Launier’s blog, back in 2009. I was completely taken by the idea of Gargoyles.

I have to say that the wait hasn’t disappointed. Ms Launier’s debut novel brings a fresh new take on a market that is saturated by vampires, werewolves and angels.
Aude Vanier is a sixteen-year-old rock star with a problem—stone monsters keep attacking her. And when they do, she finds herself chanting in a language she doesn’t understand.
Guillaume de Ro...more
Ny
Check out more reviews at http://msbookqueen.com

Received as an ARC via netgalley
This book was definitely a different concept than I'm used to reading. I haven't thought much about gargoyles since I used to watch the tv show. A lot of this book was pretty slow but it picked up when it got closer to the end. Aude didn't really impress me as a character because she seemed too stubborn most of the time and afraid of change. I liked Guillaume even though he could be kind of a jerk at times. I liked t...more
Sandy
REDEMPTION (Hearts of Stone #1) by Veronique Launier

GOODREADS BLURB: Guillaume: For five hundred years I've existed as a gargoyle. Perched atop an old Montreal church, I've watched idly as humanity wanders by. With the witch Marguerite gone, there is no one left to protect, nothing to care about. I never planned to feel again. But then a girl released me from my stone restraints, allowing me to return as a seventeen-year-old human boy. I must find out all I can about this girl's power . . .

REDEM...more
Ash
Like any fantasy lover, I'm a huge fan of the classic creatures. Fairies, vampires, werewolves, mermaids, etc. But sometimes I crave something more. Something that's a little outside of the box, something that hasn't been done to death or become a crazy fad. Something that will make me marvel. Redemption's Gargoyles offered that to me. Yes, you read that right, GARGOYLES.

For a girl who has taken several mythology classes, I just can't seem to get away from the stuff. I'm addicted I tell you, and...more
Book Chatter-Cath
reviewed at http://mybookchatterchat.blogspot.com

This book sounds fantastic - Gargoyles finally freed after decades of watching the world pass them by. Strange and awkward girl with untapped power mysteriously releases them from their concrete prison.

Sadly I got as far as page 145 and put it aside.
I just couldn't read another word.
There is too much stuff going on, and yet nothing really happens, the story just isn't going anywhere. And its boring - I want to read about the gargoyle Guillaume and...more
Ashley  McElyea
First, thank you to Flux and NetGalley for permission to read this ARC.

This book held such promise. Gargoyles, French roots, Mohwawk prophecy. It is so original. Sadly, I only made it page 142. I feel terrible and have never given such a low review. But I just couldn't not get past the rather generic characters, the flawed dialogue and the inconsistent pacing.

At first, Aude seemed like she would be a fun and "Odd" character. But her pettiness, her doubt, and her ridiculous obsession with her b...more
  • The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1)
  • Gift
  • Since You Left Me
  • Incarnation
  • UnGuarded
  • Hanging by a Thread
  • Demons (Seers, #2)
  • Conjure (The Hoodoo Apprentice, #1)
  • White Witch (Coven, #1)
  • Yesterday
  •  Vodnik
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • A Night Without Stars
  • Blackwood
  • Dead of Night (The Youngbloods, #2)
  • Aleron: Book One of Strigoi Series
  • See Jack Die
  • Blink Once
Deliverance (Hearts of Stone)