Start by marking “Het Midden Oosten: 2000 jaar culturele en politieke geschiedenis” as Want to Read:
Het Midden Oosten: 2000 jaar culturele en politieke geschiedenis

Het Midden Oosten: 2000 jaar culturele en politieke geschiedenis

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,023 ratings  ·  83 reviews
To gain a better understanding of contemporary Middle Eastern culture and society, which is steeped in tradition, one should look closely at its history. Bernard Lewis, Professor of Near Eastern studies at Princeton University, considered one of the world's foremost authorities on the Middle East, spans 2000 years of this region's history, searching in the past for answers ...more
Published 2008 by Forum (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Het Midden Oosten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het Midden Oosten

Amin
اگه دنبال کتابی برای آشنایی با خاورمیانه هستید، این کتاب رو برای شروع پیشنهاد می دم.
کتاب از قبل از اسلام شروع می شود و تا سال 1995 ( سال انتشار کتاب) ادامه پیدا می کند. هر چند به بررسی مختصر تاریخ ایران هم می پردازد، اما باید توجه داشت که منظور از خاورمیانه جهان عرب است. به همین دلیل ، از قرون وسطی به بعد بیشتر به تاریخ امپراطوری عثمانی و برخورد آن با جهان غرب می پردازد. در سال های معاصر نیز بیشتر به بررسی کشورهای حاصل از تجزیه این امپراطوری می پردازد.
برای من کتاب مفیدی بود برای آشنایی با تاریخ
Mark Becher
I thought the book was a useful overview of Middle Eastern history from the Roman Empire through the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Obviously that is a lot of ground to cover in less than four hundred pages, so the level of detail is not terribly great. Lewis is aiming instead for a general understanding of the major trends in the region's development. Since the entire subject was new to me at the time of reading this book I had to resign myself to letting many of the dates and names slide past m ...more
Cynthia
This was a fantastic book! A clear, unbiased presentation of Middle East history over the last 2000 years - and told in such a compelling way that it was more than just facts and figures but a dramatic and engaging story. Lewis has a definite knack for story telling, turns of phrase, and well placed vignettes. Actually, I think there are at least three or four blockbuster movies we could make from this book!
Aaron
A good general history of the Middle East with a strong focus on Islamic (think Turkish, Lewis's main area of study)history from 622 AD to the first gulf war. The most important sections cover culture, local politics and the lower classes, subjects rarely covered in most surveys, which often seem to only bounce from war to war.
Thomas
Anyone who wants to understand the Middle East should start with Bernard Lewis.
Dennis
Positives: Lewis does an excellent job in the middle section of the book analyzing aspects of Middle East culture and government, such as the state and the arts. His anecdotes are longer in these sections, and he is better at focusing on subjects that he finds important. His modern history section is tightly written as well and fairly entertaining.

Negatives: First, Lewis has a pro-colonial and pro-Western bias that shines strongly in the modern history section. Lewis certainly believes that West
Andrew Rosner
This is a somewhat condensed examination of the last two thousand years of history in the Middle East. If you’re looking for detailed biographies of every major historical figure during that time, or elaborate accounts of military conquest, this probably isn’t the volume for you. On the other hand, if you’re curious about the broader cultural, technological and linguistic currents that have shaped the region, you’ve found a home. At the book’s centre is Islam, and the book occasionally feels lik ...more
Matt
Lewis is a good historian and his was an enjoyable enough read (more so than Karen Armstrong's book on the same subject). Creates a good understanding of some of the great historical ironies (e.g. how an ascendent Islamic culture preserved much of the history and literature that were foundational for liberal western culture, how Islamic culture went into a great period of decline in part because they didn't know of any good sources of energy to fuel their economic growth). A good companion book ...more
Charlie
Wow.

I saw this book in the bargain bin and figured I could not go wrong. My historical knowledge, well my knowledge period, of the middle-east was quite minimal.

There is a lot of information in this tome, more than a person could ever hope to retain. That said, I think it is more than possible for most people to slog through and gain great insight into the politics, the religion of this rich and fascinating part of the world.

This read is a major endeavor so be prepared, but if you are truly look
Yofish
A very comprehensive history, more or less from Mohammed to the present. Way too much to listen to 5 minutes at a time in the car. Just too much information to process and remember. Was it France or Britain in Egypt in the 19th century? Who were Pashas and who were Sultans? Tammarlane did what, again? What's the difference between Nationalism and patriotism?
Anthony
Lewis is honest in his intentions and is forthright in acknowledging that this is a brief history. The success found within these pages is the author’s ability to weave the 2,000 year succession of culture, economy, religion, and governance with a fluid and overarching perspective that illuminates the debt owed by both western and eastern culture owe due to the prominence and innovations of the middle east during the middle ages, while concurrently revealing the multifaceted reasons why the midd ...more
Simone
This is an interesting overview of Middle Eastern history by respected Middle East scholar Lewis. Although, as some other reviewers here have noted, his style is not highly entertaining, if you are interested in learning something and enjoy challenging your mind, rather than being passively entertained by pop culture versions of history, it's worth the effort. Lewis takes the panoramic view of the social, cultural, religious, and political history of the region, which I found illuminating ofcurr ...more
Bill Sleeman

Following the visit of some Muslim speakers at my church I took another try at The Middle East by Bernard Lewis, a book I gave up on a few months back. While I was almost able to complete it this time I must admit that again I found myself increasingly stymied by Lewis’ style. I really wanted to enjoy this book and not just get through it but neither happened – didn’t enjoy it, did not finish it. To be fair the content is brilliant but his writing is so slow and so very academic. It seemed tha

Bob
This book is a useful survey of the history and cultural institutions of the Middle East. Lewis goes back before the rise of Islam to look at the civilizations and religious systems that antedated Islam including Rome, Greece, Persia and Egypt and Judaism and Zoroastrianism, as well as nascent Christianity. He delineates the rise of Islam and the clashes both with the west and invading peoples from the Steppes and Mongolia. He also details the rise, greatness, and protracted decline of the Ottom ...more
Arjun Mishra
The stated task of this book is to explore through two thousand years of the vast history of the Middle East in fewer than four hundred pages. It is difficult to condense a region that has thrived and declined under numerous empires, given birth to three major world religions, served as a bridge in between Europe and Asia, and has been an enormous foreign policy question for the West, but Bernard Lewis managed to do so successfully. Regardless, there are still some problems with the book.

I was d
Justin Evans
Too much for my taste on the twentieth century, and not enough on the pre-Ottoman world, but that can be forgiven. The slightly oily feeling I got reading the last few chapters, however, cannot: Lewis seems to know an awful lot about the middle east, but, as with many biographers, all that knowledge seems to have made him less, rather than more, keen. The take-away of the last half of the book seems to be "if only they'd act more like Americans!" One day, we can wistfully hope, Arabs, Turks and ...more
Dale
2000 years in 387 pages - A great effort but somewhat unsatisfying.

Don't get me wrong - I am came to this book as a true fan of Bernard Lewis. His book Crisis of Islam was one of the more thought-provoking books I read last year. However, this book is quite different than 'Crisis'. It's scope is massive, and it is a history book rather than a work of examination and informed conjecture.

Lewis addresses these shortcomings in his introduction and admits that it will be a difficult undertaking to
Jud Barry
I had considered myself reasonably well-informed about world history, but this book revealed vast lacunae in my knowledge of the history of the Middle East, as though I were a Roman legionnaire facing Arabia Deserta or the Parthian vastness and regarding it as emptiness.

Ottomans, you are missed.
Alex Hui
This book provides a very detailed account of how Islam influence the Middle East from sixth century and how the West shape the recent picture of Middle East. Readers may find the book focus much on Islam and a bit little of what happened regionally during Middle Age. It's also a good book on mental development of Middle East people.
Rgd
Read this book and you will know so much more than most policy makers in Washington, and you will also have a better background historical knowledge of Islam than many Muslims. Fairly dense, but very interesting.
John
After Fromkin and before starting my Spanish studies in early December, I had a chance to read the first half of Bernard Lewis’ The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2,000 Years. I was trying to wrap up my whirlwind review of the Middle East, but didn’t quite finish. This volume, like the other two by Lewis that started my review of the Middle East, was very easy to read, non-academic in terms of references and a bit repetitive. That said, I will go back and finish it at some point. I nee ...more
Joe
A masterpiece. Lewis is likely to be in a league of his own with this sweeping history of a region that is the scene of much conflict. At times so dense it takes several readings to fully digest, this is an indispensable tome for serious students of the Middle East.
Dalia
Quite the orientalist view to history.
Austin Wright
Going through Lewis' complete catalogue.

Great emphasis on how The Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca stopped Islam (technically the Turks)in it's place in 1774.
Carlos Alonso-Niemeyer
After traveling to the Middle East and interacting with many wonderful people who live in a Muslim culture, I became fascinated with everything "Arab". Lewis is very good in his descriptions and evaluations of the culture through the eyes of an Englishman.
This book is not for the beginner reader. However, after you are finished, you understand completely who our brothers and sisters in the other side of the world.
As one of my must cherished friends likes to say "God is great"...
رناتا
Este libro es una buena síntesis de la historia de Oriente Próximo escrita por uno de los autores punteros en lo que se refiere a historia del mundo islámico, en especial del mundo otomano.

Aunque a veces peca de pesado, y a veces el autor parece que se va de la línea que estaba siguiendo, no deja de ser una magnífico libro muy bien escrito.

Se lo recomiendo a todo aquel que quiera iniciarse en la tan complicada historia de Oriente Próximo y entenderla mejor.
Carissa
This is a good overview of the history of the Middle East. Lewis begins with the Christian period, but most of the book covers the history of the Middle East after the creation of Islam. The book was published in 1995. Reading it 11 years after 9/11, with all that has happened, gives the hopefulness of the final chapters a particular bitterness. I do recommend it. It's very accessible and thought-provoking.
Dan
Don't read any textbook on this subject before you read this book. A boring subject you say? Not by Bernard Lewis. Not exactly the same as reading a good novel, but not far behind. From Rome to the Ottomans, to the present. Religion. Culture, Poltics, Economics, and of course, Conflict. Lots of conglict. If you want to read history without being bored and discouraged, this is a great book!
Anca
O altă carte de istorie, dar de altă factură. Pe asta am început-o în 2014 şi am citit-o de-a lungul mai multor luni. Dacă nu ştiţi mare lucru despre istoria Orientului Mijlociu (aşa, ca mine) vă puteți pune la punct cu evenimentele principale, în special începutul islamului, citind această carte.

Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it was long and at times boring. It started to get interesting around disc 12 of 16 as the time line approached modern times. It is interesting at times and I definitely learned some things I did not know. Essentially, the history of the Middle East is one of war, along with most of the rest of the world.
  • A History of the Arab Peoples
  • The Dream Palace of the Arabs: A Generation's Odyssey
  • A History of Islamic Societies
  • A Concise History of the Middle East
  • The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
  • Islamic Imperialism: A History
  • A History of the Modern Middle East
  • Kingmakers: The Invention of the Modern Middle East
  • Power, Faith, and Fantasy: America in the Middle East: 1776 to the Present
  • The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia (Yale Nota Bene)
  • Osman's Dream: The History of the Ottoman Empire
  • A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East
  • Empire of the Mind: A History of Iran
  • A History of the Middle East
  • The Ottoman Centuries
  • A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time (Second Edition, Revised and Updated)
  • A Short History of Byzantium
  • The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
Bernard Lewis, FBA (born May 31, 1916) is a British-American historian, scholar in Oriental studies, and political commentator. He is the Cleveland E. Dodge Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University. He specializes in the history of Islam and the interaction between Islam and the West, and is especially famous in academic circles for his works on the history of the Ottoman ...more
More about Bernard Lewis...
The Crisis of Islam: Holy War and Unholy Terror What Went Wrong? The Clash Between Islam & Modernity in the Middle East The Assassins: A Radical Sect in Islam The Arabs in History Islam and the West

“wholly given up to villainy and debauchery, and ride the steed of perfidy and presumption, and dive into the sea of error and impiety, and are united under the banner of Satan.” 0 likes