Start by marking “Andere Himmel” as Want to Read:
Andere Himmel

Andere Himmel

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,914 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
Miéville lässt seiner Phantasie freien Lauf. Ob es um den Vertrauten einer Hexe geht, einen geheimen Krieg, oder um ein London, das von Monstren überrannt wird - er bietet grandiose Unterhaltung! Besonders auch für Leser geeignet, die sich erstmals in Miévilles Wekt entführen lassen wollen.
Published 2007 by Bastei Lübbe (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Andere Himmel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Andere Himmel

j
May 31, 2012 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Jacob
The name China Miéville isn't generally synonymous with short stories, probably because he doesn't write them that often. In the past decade, he's published 10 novels, and in the same span, produced only 16 pieces of short fiction. I mean, whatever. Dude is busy. I think he also became an economics genius, ran for political office, and did about 3 million arm curls during that decade too. Oh, and got a giant squid tattoo.

Anyway, it's pretty annoying to discover that he also does short fiction a
Lyn
Feb 13, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
China Mieville is not necessarily known for his work in shorter works, but Looking For Jake, his 2005 collection of shorter fiction is an excellent representation of his narrative skill and for his redoubtable imagination. Mieville sets a mood, creates an emotion that stays with the reader throughout what turns out to be a diverse and dusky eclectic blend of creepy and dark fiction.

Looking for Jake – The opening salvo and titular short story is an artfully creepy sketch. An man searches for a fr
David
Jan 10, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
I really enjoyed half of the novels that I've read by Mieville, and rather disliked the other half. Likewise, in this collection of stories, I enjoyed about half of them. The other half were boring. That is why I've rated this book with three out of five stars. Here are some brief summaries of a few of the stories.

The first story, titled "Looking for Jake", was one of the boring stories. People in London start disappearing randomly, and the protagonist looks for his friend Jake. There didn't see
Nesa Sivagnanam
Mar 07, 2012 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps it's the pain of RA. Perhaps it's having a crazy job, but I've been reading more short stories lately.

Looking For Jake
I loved the tale, especially the way it was written. It's a quiet melancholy sort of tale and it has a gentle rhythm. he paints a clear picture of the city from the roof and the loneliness as well as ultimate curiousity of the narrrator is tangible. The story ends well and yet offers the reader many alternatives.

Foundation
One of my favourites since it struck a very deep c
Nikki
One of those rare occasions where I got to borrow a book from my girlfriend. (She has good taste, but since she lives in Belgium, I tend to encounter books first. But this one I kept meaning to pick up and somehow didn't.) I wasn't sure what I thought of the idea of China Miéville doing short stories: his novels are so often so sprawling, so full of gleefully grotesque imagery, that I didn't think he could contain himself within a short story.

He can.

Some of the stories are more effective than ot
Kathryn
Something I keep coming back to with China Mieville is how much he trusts his readers to not give up when they get confused. His favorite method of introducing you to ANYTHING is to drop you in the middle of a situation (or a city, or a world), and feed you little tidbits of an explanation until you finally know what's going on. Or don't. And the gaps in the information will stay in your brain so much longer than if he'd gone point-by-point through the story.

The short stories don't leave as much
Zorena
Sometimes short stories are a great way to introduce yourself to an author you haven't read before. I found China Mieville while reading an anthology and was intrigued but not sure if I would like him so I found his collection of short stories.

If these are fantasy I would call them dark fantasy for lack of a better word. In all truth I would label them as mostly horror with some science fiction thrown in but it seems that Mieville wants a different label. I'm not saying that I don't like his wri
Robert Beveridge
China Mieville, Looking for Jake (Del Rey, 2005)

Looking for Jake made me do something I've never done with a China Mieville book before-- laugh out loud while reading it. Yes, the boy does have a sense of humor that's not cynical and grease-blackened every once in a while, and it's quite refreshing to see. I grant you, the whole collection doesn't have that feel to it, but it's certainly here, and I love it. I love it just as much as I love the rest of this book, and for that matter as much as I
Thomas
Aug 22, 2007 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic short stories from China Mieville. It was great seeing this author tackle short fiction so effectively.

There is one Bas Lag story for fans of Perdido Street, the Scar and Iron Council. But I had the most fun reading the other stories, where Mieville's awesomely weird sensibilities are turned upon our own world. 'An End To Hunger' is one of the coolest hacker stories I've ever read. 'Familiar' feels like a Bas Lag creature let loose in modern London. Really, I loved the whole book, with
Kim
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in this book. Generally I like China Miéville books but this one didn't do it for me. I'm not really a short story fan to begin with but I was hoping such a talented writer could do it. Not this time.

A lot of the stories really felt like he was being clever for clevers sake. Lots of vague endings and cryptic meanings. I read a fiction to be entertained, to be told a story. Sometimes a vague ending can be ok but not in almost every single story. Nothing is eve
Derek
Aug 02, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant, if bleak, effort from Miéville.

If I had to choose one word to tie in all of these short stories (and one novella, The Tain), I'd have to say "paranoia". Almost every story involves a character fearful of something — often without obvious cause.

Miéville's wordplay is, as always, amazing. The title of The Tain is hugely obscure, and yet right out of a dictionary: the tainis the reflective silver backing of a mirror. The creatures that come from the tain call themselves "p
Kersplebedeb
While there are some brilliant pieces in here, i was really disappointed by this collection. Mieville normally gets four or five stars from me, but this really felt like reading scraps from a writers' notebook, or reading a series of drafts. Perhaps short stories are not his forte?

The ideas are often great, it's the stories themselves felt a bit rushed and unpolished. i find Mieville's one weakness is how to end a story, and i guess this becomes more of a problem in a short story collection. Tha
Merrilee
Jul 26, 2010 Merrilee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't read Mieville's novels, but he is a master of the short story format. I enjoyed all of the stories in this book, because they made me think and fear and wonder at all the hidden things behind the world that we see.

A fascinating mix. I enjoyed The Tain (the novella) and Reports of Certain Events in London the best, but there was no story where I felt disappointed.
Sharon Smith
Aug 06, 2015 Sharon Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, 4 1/2 stars, due to a distinct lack of bovine entities.

And here we have the Moment of Truth, where I finally read the story that made me decide to read Miéville in the first place only to discover that I apparently should have spent more time reading the OED as a child. (You didn't think that was possible, did you? Neither did I.)

See, most people who know me even slightly know I'm seriously into Celtic mythology - particularly Irish & Scottish.(It's right there in my profile!) Tho
Leni Iversen
Nov 07, 2015 Leni Iversen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and dark and weird. Very weird. And I love the brilliantly dark and weird. One of the stories is set in Mieville's fictional world, but a reader who is willing to just "go with it" should be able to keep up without having read his novels. The rest of the stories are set in different dark and twisted versions of London, where something in reality has shifted. A couple of them are unmistakably Lovecraftian in theme, but the writing style is all Mieville. One of the stories is illustrated ...more
Althea Ann
Sep 27, 2013 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not biiled as a horror anthology, some of these stories are
up there with the creepiest I've ever read... hey, if it can give me chills
while I'm on my subway commute, that's pretty good!

With this collection, Mieville proves that he's equally a master of the
short story as of the sprawling labyrinths of his novels. He's probably
one of the best young writers today, in any genre.

The book includes:

* Looking for Jake
In a could-be-tomorrow London, the city has been the victim of a mysterious
inv
sologdin
Feb 14, 2012 sologdin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: speculative
A mixed group here: some ghost stories, a couple post-apocalyptic, a dystopian, a couple standard horror, a paranoid spy thriller, a tech thriller, one Bas Lag, and a graphic short (that I didn't really understand).

Standard leftwing concerns generally. The three standouts are the lovecraftian items: a metatextualist's accounting of documents received by postal error concerning viae ferae (best villains ever? maybe.); a bildungsroman taken staight from Paracelsus; and a Borgesian fake encycloped
David Hebblethwaite
“‘It lives in the details,’ she said. ‘It travels in that…in that perception. It moves through those chance meetings of lines. Maybe you glimpse it sometimes when you stare at clouds, and then maybe it might catch a glimpse of you, too.’”

He may be best known as a novelist, but China Miéville’s short fiction is worthy of attention, too. Reading the stories collected in Looking for Jake, I feel as though I’ve gained a fresh understanding of his concerns as a writer. Miéville has often used the ter
Alan
Feb 10, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of edgy, eerie short fiction
Recommended to Alan by: Other, longer work
I'll admit that it took me a little while to see where China Miéville was going with Looking for Jake. The first couple of stories didn't really gel for me. But as I grew more accustomed to the voice he was using, to the kinds of story he was telling... I began liking this collection more and more.

It might be hyperbole to call Miéville the Edgar Allan Poe of our age, but only by a little. Miéville displays in this volume a mastery of the frisson like very few others. And the stories that hit me
Han Asra
Ini sudah buku ketiga China Mièvelle yang saya baca. Dua cerita sebelumnya yang saya baca tidak mengeecewa. Seharusnya dengan itu harapan saya menjadi lebih tinggi lagi, tapi kali ini tidak. Karena ini, Looking for Jake and Other Stories adalah kumpulan cerpen dan novella, yang menurut saya kualitas dan ragam ceritanya akan lebih campur aduk.

Looking for Jake and Other Stories seperti yang sudah saya tulis tadi di sinopsis berisi kumpulan cerpen dan novella China Mièvelle yang dia tulis dari tahu
Sarah Sammis
Dec 08, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In April 2009 I stopped scheduling my reviews ahead of time. The scheduling process was making reading and blogging feel like homework. Since it's currently an unpaid hobby for me, I decided I had to stop being a slave to the calendar even if it meant falling behind on reviews. To keep things interesting on the review side of things, I started picking which book or short story to review next by random. This process has the advantage of giving every recently finished book or story the chance of b ...more
Johan Haneveld
Jan 12, 2016 Johan Haneveld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good collection of stories from one of the most imaginative writers around. This is not in a genre I usually read, bordering more on magical realism and horror, but I found a lot of imagination, weirdness, tension and 'unheimishness' in these tales. There's a great explanation of vampires, a story about warring streets, that appear in different cities, and a story that explains why Ikea is hell ... Well written, sometimes a bit vague, but always entertaining.
David Eagle
Jan 23, 2012 David Eagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this short story collection. If you're unfamiliar with China, this is a great way to "meet the author" before committing to one of his incredibly dense (though wholly worthwhile) novels.

Each story was engaging and left me wanting more. They weren't all scary, but they were mostly scary. And scary in the best way. Scary in the way that lets you fill in blanks with your own demons, your own little horrors.

China paints incredible pictures with words. He doesn't write the short,
Sean Brennan
A bit hit and miss, sometimes exceedingly good especially 'Familiar'. One thing that China is marvellous ability to really explore the alien, obviously a Lovecraft fan!!
Peter Kelly
Dec 31, 2015 Peter Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
China Mieville is an ace writer. With his collection Look For Jake, he’s claimed a place on my list of Authors To Watch Out For.

I’m placing Mieville somewhere between Clive Barker and Jorge Luis Borges. With Barker he shares a British nationality and an instinct imaginative horror, and with Borges he shares a fascination for uncanny ideas that are difficult to slot into any one genre. The last story in the collection, The Tain, seems directly inspired by a quote from Borges about mirror people.
Kathleen
Looking for Jake is a collection of short stories by the incomparable China Mieville. Alas! I did not find most of the stories nearly as compelling as his novels. I must admit, though, Mieville is a master of atmosphere and even those stories I didn’t care for aroused my admiration in that respect.

The story I liked best was “Reports of Certain Events in London” which was wonderfully creepy and intriguing. The funniest story was “The Season” which approached the corporate appropriation of Christm
Brendan
Jun 08, 2014 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Miéville kills it! Not that I loved the three New Crobuzon books that much (in comparison to his other works) but I was still looking forward to reading "Jack"

And is often 'slightly' warped London's are all amazing, I'm waiting for him to do his own Mashup of the various Londons bisecting one another... don't think it'll happen, but one can always hope.

And Extreme Santas (TM)!

The Tain was amazing, as long as it needed to be, full of amazing images, and voiced perfectly from both chara
deilann
Mar 19, 2015 deilann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on my blog, SpecFic Junkie.

China Miéville is best known for his novels, but in short stories he's able to play with his craft in ways that wouldn't work in longer fiction. He left me wanting and unfulfilled time and time again, but simultaneously positive there was no other way for things to end.

To be frank, I love China Miéville's aesthetic. I like nihilism, the depraved, the disgusting, trains, the industrial, the raw, the sense of newness out of the old. In some ways, this b
Katherine
Mieville isn't necessarily that well known for his short stories, but this anthology proves that he's just as good at those as he is at the rest of the fiction that he writes.

This is a great collection of horror, science fiction, fantasy and steampunk. Pretty much all the stories are excellent, particularly the Ball Room, after reading I will never look at an Ikea the same way again. The novella The Tain is also included, and it is excellent as well.
Joseph
Dec 28, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If proof were needed that "genre fiction" can be is inventive and well-crafted as so-called "literary fiction", China Mieville would be it. In this collection of short stories, he revels in plots and settings which traditionally-minded critics would snob - futuristic dystopias, post-apocalyptic war-torn urban scenarios, steampunk cities... there's even a fairly conventional but surprisingly chilling ghost story. The streets of London are often referenced, sometimes explicitly, occasionally as a ...more
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Looking for Jake 6 30 May 15, 2013 11:25PM
  • The Third Bear
  • The New Weird
  • The Etched City
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • The Course of the Heart
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • The Year of Our War (Fourlands #1)
  • Alabaster
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • What I Didn't See: and Other Stories
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
  • The Two Sams
  • Cities
  • In the Forest of Forgetting
  • Meet Me in the Moon Room
  • The Light Ages (The Aether Universe, #1)
  • Pump Six and Other Stories
A British "fantastic fiction" writer. He is fond of describing his work as "weird fiction" (after early 20th century pulp and horror writers such as H. P. Lovecraft), and belongs to a loose group of writers sometimes called New Weird who consciously attempt to move fantasy away from commercial, genre clichés of Tolkien epigons. He is also active in left-wing politics as a member of the Socialist W ...more
More about China Miéville...

“Perhaps the window is not a sun but an asterisk, interrupting the grammar of the sky, with me sitting below it like a footnote.” 25 likes
“It is not they who have closed but I. I've cut myself away. I'm alone, and lonely. What frightens me is that I've not become lonely now, but have looked inside and seen that I was, already. How long has that been going on?” 0 likes