Start by marking “The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)

The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  6,044 Ratings  ·  793 Reviews
Sebastian Malheur is the most dangerous sort of rake: an educated one. When he’s not scandalizing ladies in the bedchamber, he’s outraging proper society with his scientific theories. He’s desired, reviled, acclaimed, and despised—and he laughs through it all.

Violet Waterfield, the widowed Countess of Cambury, on the other hand, is entirely respectable, and she’d like to s
Published December 16th 2013 by Courtney Milan

To ask other readers questions about The Countess Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Countess Conspiracy

Navessa

I have never met a woman more in need of a mind-blowing orgasm than Violet Waterfield.

This MC was wound so tight that I just wanted to hand her a vibrator and tell her not to come out of her room until she’d rattled that stick out of her ass. Too bad there weren’t any to be had in Victorian England or the beginning of this book might have been less frustrating.

So Violet is a female scientist in a time where even women didn’t think that they should be educated. Instead of publishing her work he
♡Karlyn P♡

4 'Brilliant!' Stars

The Countess Conspiracy tells a fascinating story about a woman who has to hide her superior intelligence in order to maintain respectability, and a man who loves her so much he struggles with having to keep her secret.

Violet and Sebastian are such different character types than what I normally read in a historical. She is the female equivalent of a mad scientist. He is a beta-hero, and man enough to love her for her brains as well as her heart. The romance was slower than so
Jill

Romanorum Perfectus!

description
Viola odorata or Sweet violet

For every woman whose name has disappeared without recognition.

Violet Waterfield, Countess of Cambury, widow, married previously for eleven years. Sebastian Malheur, her oldest and closest friend, and confidante. Secrets. Violet's got them. Sebastian's got a big one he can't share with Violet. And together Violet and Sebastian share a secret. Should it ever be disclosed, they'll both be ruined.

No one does layered like Ms Milan. This i
Jilly
Mar 22, 2017 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was waiting for this book. After all, there was a rake as the hero - Sebastian. Plus, he was all yearning for his bff, Violet. We met these two in previous books and they were great together - totally hilarious. So, I loved them, but then there was something slightly missing.

Burrito!

I don't know what it was exactly. Can't put my finger on it, but the chemistry wasn't as volatile as I would have liked. Maybe because our rake was super gentlemanly and took things very very slowly. Which was good
Pepa
Reseña completa: http://masromance.blogspot.com.es/201...
La autora pierde ese toque divertido para crear una historia en la que la superación personal es la gran protagonista.
Sin duda, esta pareja prometía ser la más divertida, quizás por eso me ha gustado mucho el giro que da su historia.
El pasado de Violet te pone los pelos de punta, cuánta crueldad humana socialmente "aprobada" , primera crítica socia y la segunda, no menos importante, el velado papel que la ciencia ha dejado desempeñar a la
Viri
***4.5 inteligentes y libertinas STARS***

Cuando comencé este libro tenía una idea preconcebida totalmente errónea.

Conociendo como lo hacía a Sebastián y a Violet pensé que su historia sería lo más alejado a profunda que pudiera existir.
En mi mente en esta historia habría risas, carcajadas y momentos hilarantes a más no poder. Habría un amor bonito y sencillo.

Uy... pero que equivocada estaba. Porque su historia fue impresionante.

Ambos son personajes complejos, con debilidades y aspiraciones dif
Ingela
Written November 3, 2014

4 1/2 Sprakling Stars - Enchanting and so beautifully told. Yet another amazing Milan historical for us romantic (mature) readers.

Book #3

A buddyread, she read and I listened to the audiobook, with my sweet and wise friend Sofia.
Hurray, this is all so clever and well done.
I'm sure you already guessed that I love these historicals in the Brother Sinister series by Courtney Milan. This was my fifth. ~ And I'm once again an applause and whistling admirer.

My reviews: (view
Caz
Feb 09, 2013 Caz rated it it was amazing
This has been a very difficult review to write. Some of them seem to trip off the fingers and some… don’t, and this was one of the latter. It’s a complex and clearly a heart-felt book on the part of the author with so much going on that it was hard to decide what to put in and what to leave out. In the end, I’ve gone with the “write less” option (unusual for me, I know!) because the review has already taken me about three times longer to write than it did to read the book!

The shortest version i
Susanne
Jul 18, 2013 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Courtney Milan has a true gift! This is a strong and emotional book. The first part broke my heart. And it ends with the most beautiful happy ending!

It is a story about Violet and Sebastian. Sebastian is one of the world's greatest minds, only it is really Violet. She is conducting brilliant research in a time where women is not allowed to study at university, and society shuns intelligent women. I absolutely adored this part. Sebastian has presenter her their work for several years because he a
KatLynne
… For Rosalind Franklin, whose name we know. For Anna Clausen, who I discovered while working on this book. For every woman whose name has disappeared without recognition. This book is for you. ~~~Courtney Milan~~~

The Countess Conspiracy is the third book in the Brothers Sinister series. Here we get Sebastian Malheur and Violet Waterfield’s story. Milan’s incredible talent is stamped throughout and after reading the above dedication, I was excited to begin.

Sebastian is a charming, intelligent
Chrysoula Tzavelas
Dec 18, 2013 Chrysoula Tzavelas rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the kind of romance novel I want from an ex-law professor with a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry. It is smart, historical, poignant and lovely. The romance in it reminded me of my own wonderful husband and both made me understand him a bit better and made me a bit braver.

It is about a scientist, inventing the study of inheritance a few decades early, in the 1860s. Because she is a woman, nobody will even read her ideas, and so she works with a man to get her id
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*3.5 stars*

At times very, very good, but it also dragged on for me like none in the series before it. It seemed endless at certain moments, and I wasn't sure that I loved Violet.

Still, these characters were amazingly complex (even the side characters, very much so), but it felt a little like it tried to do too much for one book.

Another great audio reading, though, and I will most certainly be continuing on in the series!
Mary - Buried Under Romance
HOLY. I fear my mind may never be the same again. What an incredibly piece of work...my sleep deprived brain cannot write a worthy review right now. But be forewarned, it will be long.

Ally
Feb 19, 2016 Ally rated it liked it
What is wrong with me that I did not like you more?

frustrated

Like everyone else seems to think this is the ultimate in tortured love. Dammit, I love me some tortured love - I'm looking at you Laura Kinsale. But this, was apparently above my pay grade.

Setting / Time / Genre: London. Sorta regency. Did they have an underground in regency times? Am I missing something here? Is this set in a different time?

Series: Third

Sexy times: They knock boots once and have a little OP. Nothing racy.

Plan on reading more
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 01, 2014 Mandi Schreiner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This book is SO good. So, so good.

Due to events in her past (which are revealed - and make it so devastating) Violet feels unworthy of basically anything - unlovable, untouchable - she is disgusted by herself.

Her best friend (who is also considered a rake) is Sebastian. He tells her early on in the book he is in love with her - but they both know she can't handle it. He can't even touch her hand without her having an extreme reaction.

So he waits. He ever so patiently starts to court her. AND IT
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I’m fast running out of superlatives to describe Courtney Milan’s books. Every time I pick up one of her books, I’m swept away by her innovative stories, her fascinating characters, her brilliant writing and her ability to layer her stories with historical detail and thought-provoking social commentary. THE COUNTESS CONSPIRACY has all this plus a poignant and deeply emotional love story.

This book is so intricately layered with complex relationships and flawed characters that I’ve found it diffic
Lady Wesley
Wow! Just wow! Ten stars. A hundred and ten stars, even.

Courtney Milan never disappoints, and she is really on a roll with the Brothers Sinister series. The publisher's blurb sets up the story nicely: Sebastian is famous for his scientific theories on natural selection, and Violet is his childhood friend and helpmeet. Except, really she's the genius, and Sebastian is tired and a bit ashamed of fronting for her.

We often read of tortured heroes, but Violet is a tortured heroine, and your heart hur
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

As with all of Courtney Milan's stories, I finished The Countess Conspiracy with a smile on my face and a contented sigh in my heart! It's fun, romantic, poignant, inspiring... all the things that make reading such a delight!

Full review to come....

A copy of this lovely story was provided by Ms. Milan.
Beanbag Love
Dec 17, 2013 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
I finished this days ago and forgot to update. Such are the holidays. So be forewarned, the following review is a bit of a ramble.

There were parts I liked in the Countess Conspiracy and parts that annoyed me. I admit to too many interruptions during the beginning of my read so it was hard to warm up to the heroine. She was too much of a basketcase and I didn't have enough information to want to follow her.

Violet is an honorary member of the Brothers Sinister. Two of the "brothers" are half-bro
Keri
Mar 10, 2012 Keri rated it it was amazing
Courtney Milan has never been an author that is going to write about a typical hero/heroine or situation. This book was no exception. Sebastian has a secret that he has been carrying for many years and he can no longer bear the weight of the secret. So when he lets his best friend Violet know that he will no longer present her papers as his, Violet is devastated. She thinks Sebastian will come around and things can go back to normal. But of course they don’t because he drops an even bigger bomb ...more
Tormenta
Este libro sobrepasa de una manera indiscutible a La guerra de la duquesa y La ventaja de la heredera. Primero que nada, en esta novela vemos una REALIDAD de la vida. Todas las contribuciones femeninas a la ciencia en el siglo XIX y XX, algunas (muy pocas) quedaron registradas en la historia. O sea, que existieron científicas y genios de la ciencia y de muchas cosas más que fueron MUJERES. Y por el único hecho de ser MUJERES no fueron reconocidas, porque sus "derechos" no estaban a la altura de ...more
Rachna R
Jan 19, 2013 Rachna R rated it it was amazing
This was fucking magic. My favourite thing about Milan is that I'm always aware of the fact that she super-respects women and people in general, and that translates into things that show you she's keeping not just her characters but also her audience in mind. it's just a comfort, to me. and having that guarantee would've been enough on its own, except this book was basically everything I've ever, ever wanted from a romance about two people who've known each other forever? their shorthand, not ju ...more
Natalia
Mar 14, 2017 Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-club
Si ya disfrute con Robert en su libro, con Sebastian he sufrido una "apoplegius enamoradus totalis".

Empiezas un libro que ya le tenías ganas de leer, porque claro, aquí están dos personajes que vas medio conociendo en los libros anteriores, que disfrutas de su diálogos como una enana. Y cuando ya empiezas a leer, a conocerlos a fondo, ver sus vidas, sus historias, su amor es cuando te das cuenta que, lo tu pensabas cuanto ibas a disfrutar con ellos, no llega ni a la punta de un zapato. ¿Por qué?
Heidi Hart
A brief personal anecdote before I get to my review. I promise, this is relevant to my point. Being lesbians, my wife and I did not have our sons in the usual fashion. (Well, maybe we did, in the usual fashion for lesbians, but you know what I mean.) It took my wife nine cycles of IUI (colloquially known as "the turkey baster method," though it's much more clinical than that), followed by two cycles of IVF, followed by a rough pregnancy plagued with health scares until our son arrived a month ea ...more
Sofia
Jan 03, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical

Milan is a superb writer, I might not always fall totally in love with her characters, or the situations they find themselves in, might stretch my credibility, but I am in love with her writing and how she explores themes.

In the third of this series Milan gives us Violet and her partner in crime Sebastian. A true couple this one, there for each other through thick or thin. Both Violet and Sebastian are very intelligent, maybe Violet more so, but in a totally normal real life way, they are not co
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Feb 04, 2017 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it really liked it
This was one of the first romances I read. I'm sure if I had reviewed it then I would've given it five stars, because Milan was such a revelation and it was so different to anything else I'd read at that point. That said, this was my first full reread and I'm not sure it holds up to a five star rating, hence me dropping it to 4.5 stars. Fantastic book though.

I love the plot here. It's very Victorian - a story occurring up and down the country at the time - men taking credit for women's work in t
Alba Turunen
Mar 17, 2017 Alba Turunen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ciertamente el libro es una joyita, como los anteriores libros. Sigue en la misma tónica, historia original y muy interesante, lejos del Londres frívolo de bailes y debutantes. Ya quedó claro que a Courtney Milan le van las historias "reales", la intra-historia. La labor de investigación para éste libro probablemente sea lo que más me ha gustado.

No diría que ha sido mi favorito, en realidad he visto a todos los libros bastante equilibrados, son buenos, interesantes, unos protas gustan más y otro
Nakeesha
May 21, 2013 Nakeesha rated it it was ok
As a romance heroine, Violet fails miserably. But! As a pioneeress of science she is a TRIUMPH!

As a romance character Violet was all over the place. She was characterized as being sharp, prickly, cold and out of place, but I never saw that in any of the previous books where she made an appearance. In this book she denied herself any love or compassion but she depended on her sister needing her. She was used (in the worst way) by her deceased husband and felt selfish because of it. She tried to
Raquel
Mar 16, 2017 Raquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le doy las 5 estrellas porque sí, porque no soy objetiva si lo fuera serían 4.
No sé por donde empezar para comentar este libro, no me sirve volver a decir que tiene un argumento original, que lo es, ni que Sebastian es puro amor y Violet es una gran heroína.
Es todo eso y más. Este libro pequeño e imperfecto le pasa la mano por la cara a todos esos libros y autoras que se dedican a narrar relaciones tóxicas (y además son superventas) y nos cuenta una historia de amor simple y, sobre todo, SANA...
Natalie
I've been dying to read this book but after nearly giving 1 star to the previous book The Heiress Effect, I was suitably apprehensive going into this. But wow, what a turnaround. The Countess Conspiracy is not just a Historical Romance, like Violet, our heroine, it's merely hiding behind that charming facade.

What The Countess Conspiracy really does is to explore the psychology behind its heroine, Violet Waterfield, who is a brilliant scientist, but somehow feels that she is unlovable, unworthy

Vaginal Fantasy B...: Alt pick: The Countess Conspiracy 9 140 Sep 27, 2016 08:08PM
  • True Pretenses (Lively St. Lemeston, #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Untamed
Courtney Milan lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, a marginally-trained dog, and an attack cat. Courtney wishes she could say she has lived in numerous fabulous places. But aside from her husband, there is a distinct lack of fabulousness in her life. Instead, she is happy when standards in the Milan household hover above mediocrity. Her husband attempts not to kill people for a living ...more
More about Courtney Milan...

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)

“Do you want to know why you don't meet my standards?" he asked.

She shook her head in mortification.

"Too late," he replied. "Here's my most important rule: Never have intercourse when one of the parties is in love with the other. It won't end well."

She gasped. "You arrogant cad! I'm not in love with you."

"I know." He didn't look away from her. "Isn't that what I said? Only one of us is in love, and it isn't you."

Violet stared at him. Her ears appeared to be working; her brain seemed to function. Tentatively, she added two and three and verified that they still made five.”
16 likes
“I keep everything hidden because there's nothing about my true self that anyone likes. I'm not difficult, Sebastian. I'm the easiest person around. I don't belong, and I spend all my time pretending I do. Sometimes I get weary of it, and that makes me angry.

It's not fair to the people around me when I lose my temper. I say awful things when I'm angry. But it's not fair to me, either, that I was made this way.”
14 likes