3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A crime-thriller with an injection of horror.

The facts behind the fiction.

In 2001 scientists isolated the gene for regenerating damaged organs from the DNA of a South American flatworm. Within five years it had been spliced into the chromosomes of a rhesus monkey, transported through the cell walls by a retro-virus denuded of its own genetic material.

Attempting to regrow i...more
Published March 18th 2012 by Standing Hare (first published October 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation

E.L. Farris
Four Stars
Generation by William Knight

What do you get when you combine a medical/crime thriller with science fiction/horror? A creepy yet compelling page-turner of a book. Told from multiple points of view, including several characters who are undead but not your stereotypical zombies, Generation takes us into a world of corporate greed, gene manipulation, and people desperate either to live or to die.

I can't attest to the accuracy of the science in Generation, but Knight makes it sound entirely...more
Sweetp-1
Not really sure what genre this book is - crime/mystery/scifi/zombies perhaps? Hendrix Henderson or "aitch" is a journalist who unwittingly discovers that a major pharmaceutical company is doing dodgy experiments with life prolonging drugs. With the help of a entomologist Aitch begins to put the macabre puzzle pieces together while also cleverly outwitting the bad guys. Aitch is a bit of a rogue with a dark past, his character is well written and carries the story when sometimes there is just on...more
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
(Cross-posted from Adarna SF)

Generation pitches itself as a “crime-thriller with an injection of horror” and “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo meets the X-Files.” That’s an accurate description of the concept, but not of the quality.

Hendrix Harrison, the protagonist, is a British Mikael Blomkvist with Fox Mulder’s interest in the paranormal, and he uncovers a conspiracy surrounding an experimental drug treatment that turns its test subjects into the living dead. The concept is intriguing, and I w...more
Sean Randall
"“My husband. He’s not well.” If he was causing the smell, her words were a fucking understatement."

It's been a while since a book's woken me in a cold sweat but although it didn't feel over scary at the time this one certainly packs a punch. The detail of the case studies is visceral and horrifying, and interwoven with the thrilling storyline this is a brilliant fiction debut.

There was also something eminently and distinctly British about the novel; not in an Etonian Britishness but a far more...more
Heather Boustead

By William Knight

What if when you died you were completely aware of what was happening to you, the bugs eating your body and the rotting of your limbs? William Knight’s book brings that very question to life, in a disturbing and realistic way combining genetic modification with the locked in syndrome. Not only does William Knight manage a gruesome novel but he also weaves an addictive tale, Hendrix Harrison is a reporter searching for the truth behind people who have been seen after t...more
Nick
I’m writing a mini-review for this book because I do not want to give out any spoilers.

Before I became engrossed in YA books, I was a huge fan of mystery and thriller books. I love them. I usually read books by Michael Crichton, Tess Gerritsen and Dean Koontz. Generation has to be the first mystery-thriller book I’ve read in a very long time. Honestly, I’m really glad I did because I enjoyed reading this.

The book introduces us to Hendrix Harrison, most commonly known as Aitch. He works as a jour...more
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive... (3/30/12)

Once again, I’ve managed to read a zombie book. Except this is a zombie book unlike any other.

In 2001 scientists isolated a gene in the South American flatworm that regenerates damaged organs. Within 5 years, it had been spliced into the chromosomes of animals using a live retro-virus. If successful, aging could be stopped – even reversed, diseased or damaged organs could be regrown, and life could be extended indefinitely. Scientists...more
Marie Borthwick
Mar 14, 2012 Marie Borthwick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans, mystery fans, medical fiction fans!
MB#778829
I am squeamish around blood in person, I don't care to watch surgery or be on the "other side" of being a patient, 5 years at a local Level I Trauma Hospital taught me that. That said, on the flip side - I love horror gore, I am mesmerized by the macabre and turned upside down by a good mystery.
While I find most books enjoyable - particularly those that deal with grisly subject matter, as does GeNeRATION... few (if any) pull off the plot, the story twists and believable characters as we...more
Donna Brown
Hendrix ‘Aitch’ Harrison has been known to discover some unusual cases during his employment as a techno-phobe journalist at Strange Phenomena and at times it seems like he’s on more of a wild goose chase than chasing down a scoop. Like being called to investigate the story of the Ashburton Wolf! Also known as… a farm dog. He’s anti-Twitter and likes to do things a certain way but he’s also tenacious and knows how to take the lead on a story. In other words, he’s the kind of journalist you’d lik...more
Ritesh
The story of Generation follows Hendrix Harrison who is a reporter for a paranormal magazine called Strange Phenomena. Hendrix starts investigating ghost sightings and he is pulled deep into a mystery which is far bigger then he initially realized. As bodies start disappearing and Mendel Pharmaceuticals starts taking a particular interest in this, the mystery deepens. Sarah Wallace, who is an entomologist and is the head of the research facility from where the bodies have disappeared, also gets...more
Leah
When I first heard about the book, I was a little hesitant about reading it. I read the blurb, took one look at the muy creepy cover, and thought, "Oh man, zombies." The blurb also mentioned words like sci-fi, crime and thriller, and I haven't read a single crime thriller in a long time, so I wasn't exactly in the mood for one. However, I decided to suck it up and give it a go as part of my personal reading and writing goals. WELL, I'm glad that I went ahead with it because it turned out to be e...more
David Brown
I’ll be honest with you. Crime thrillers are not the first books I reach for in a bookshop but I do sometimes like to delve in on occasion to keep my reading varied. I was intrigued by William Knight’s Generation with the combination of The X-Files and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cited by one critic. A mixture of a crime thriller with a dose of horror sounded right up my street too so how did I get on?

We follow the exploits of journalist Hendrix Harrison (cool name but couldn’t shake the ima...more
Celine
When I started reading Generation I was expecting full horror with a little bit of crime mystery. The first page did nothing to change those expectations; we begin with Patient SW0112 who feels how his own body is decomposing in graphic detail. I got quite a strong stomach for this kind of story; but I was very glad that this book is more than just three-hundred pages of gore.

Hendrix Harrison is a journalist for the Strange Phenomena magazine. When he gets sent to a small village to do research...more
Mike
Can hardly be described as a 'fun' read but it was certainly entertaining. Another take entirely on the push for longevity. Continuing life in 'Generation' had no resemblance to the easy extensions felt in films like 'Highlander' or any of the other eternal life movie scenarios. The opening Case Number SW0112 was horrific and perfectly detailed in its imagery. You could feel the clinging damp earth.
One good thing about the various 'cases' was that they didn't seem to experience pain.
The main ch...more
Lydia
Before I get into my normal gushing, only because I've yet to read a book lately that disappoints me, let me say that the critic who claimed that Generation was X-Files mixed with Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was spot on!

Generation follows Hendrix Harrison a journalist for a magazine by the name of "Strange Phenomena", which is kind of like those weird tabloids about seeing alien babies and wolf people (my favorite waiting in grocery line reads).

After a few awful assignments (i.e. THE ASHBURN WOL...more
Kriss
Someone said to me, "Kriss you will love it, it's a zombie, well scientific umm errr... pandemic?? well .. sort of ... just read the book.." Yes, that is about how the conversation went. Well, I heard zombies and thought AWESOME! When I read the synopsis I thought huh? I love procedural crime novels. I love when someone gets really technical and scientific and fiddles around with genomes. I had also read a response on the Amazon page:

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoomeets theX-Files."ROB SVENSO
Lissette
A veteran of war, Hendrix 'Aitch' Harrison has lived an ordinary life, at least by his standards. Working for what's considered to be a seedy magazine catering to strange phenomenon, Hendrix has always been looking for that one story which lift him from the clutches of obscurity. When a friend mentions a passing article to him, one he has no interest in, he burns with the thought that he's been had yet again. Never once did he imagine that there would be truth within the case itself.

Delving a li...more
Inga
My review:

When I saw the cover of Generation by William Knight, I was intrigued. After reading the blurb of Generation, I was sure I wanted to read it. I am glad that I did.

Generation is a book where crime, thriller and horror are nicely combined and well written. It was not the easiest book to read for me, but I have to say, that I enjoyed it more than I expected. I have a very strong opinion of reanimation, regeneration, cloning and similar other topics, so I wasn't sure how I would react to...more
Shah Wharton
My Book Review

Well, I finished this after staying till 4.30 am (because I couldn't put the damn thing down!) and began writing this review as soon as my head could conceivably leave the pillow, because I couldn't wait to tell you folks about it. That was 26th Feb - I realised afterward that I had to wait till today to share it with you because today is my tour stop day. Bleh. It's killed me not to put this review everywhere up till now.

Anyway, enough of that.

What did I love about it?

Well, prett...more
Kevin Carey-Infante
Mar 28, 2012 Kevin Carey-Infante rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kevin by: Emlyn Chand
Every piece of fiction carries within it a piece of non-fiction. No matter how fantastic a story, there is a part of it that rings true, making the rest of the book believable. Generation by William Knight is a powerful tale of horror. If you ask me, a horror story is successful if you can’t sleep for days after reading the last sentence, not wondering if this could happen, but fearing when are we finally going to hear the awful truth that it has happened. Generation was one such novel! Contrary...more
Kathleen Dixon
It took me a month to read this, but only because I have it on my Kindle which generally holds my back-up reading material. On top of that, the battery's always running out, so everything I read on it takes me a long time. Sometimes that causes problems - what on earth was happening last time I read this book? who are the people? etc. BUT, that didn't happen to me with this book, which suggests that the story and characters were never a matter of "out of sight, out of mind".

And seriously, rottin...more
Mike Lowery
When I looked at the cover of this book I both hoped and assumed I would be reading another zombie tale of a nihilistic future (may not be everyone's cup of tea). I have to say the Mr Knights description of the dead rising in the early chapters of the book is one of the best descriptions I have ever read. However as the plot unfolds the Zombie like nature of the book rapidly disappears into the background and the true essence of the book, a tale of corporate greed, malpractice and the power of s...more
Julien Thomas
I am quite a fan of the zombie-era of stories, but I am a bit over the post-apocalyptic-legions-of-zombies-taking-over-the-world genre. Will Knight has managed to put a great twist on the run-of-the-mill zombie story by mixing it up with industrial espionage and a good dose of believable science.

Compelling characters and a fast moving story also blend together to produce a great book that I couldn't put down. The relationship between the two main characters is semaphored from the beginning but w...more
A.B. Shepherd
You will be repulsed, chilled, and maybe even nauseated, yet unable to stop reading this captivating debut thriller by William Knight!

To read more of my review please go to http://abshepherdsreinventedreader.bl...
Glenn
An excellent book with a number of different sci-fi elements -- zombies, mad scientists, corrupt business people. The author has obviously done his homework in researching the background for the novel. It comes across as plausible even though you hope it isn't.
Joseph Eastwood
As part of a Novel Publicity blog tour I was given the opportunity to read this book!

If you want to read my review, here's the link to it on my blog!

Edward
A bit hard to get into and get started...
But once I got the hang of it the story developed nicely...
I'd read this author again...
Anne
What can I say? I enjoyed the story immensely but obviously need a british slang to american slang translator.
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • The Weight of Glass
  • Hope Road
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • Eden
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
  • The Lives of Rachel
  • Plague of Coins (The Judas Chronicles, #1)
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • The Dead Virgins (The India Sommers Mysteries, #1)
  • First and Only: A Psychological Thriller
I'm a British born journalist and technologist currently living and working in Wellington, New Zealand. I've chased a varying career. I began in acting, progressed to music, enjoyed a brief flirtation with handbag manufacturing and was eventually wired into technology in 1989.

I had my first feature published in 2003 in Computing magazine and have since written about the many successes and failings...more
More about William Knight...