Start by marking “Tallis” as Want to Read:
Tallis

Tallis

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Knowledge made flesh is freedom oppressed.

Among all the sorcerers and immortals of Andresium, only Tallis has knowledge of the forbidden words in the True Tongue for life and death. Those who fancy power find the temptation to gain - and use - such knowledge consuming, but none so much as Tallis herself. Known by most as the Loren, destined by prophecy to bring death to t
Published April 17th 2012 (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tallis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tallis

GraceMyBookSnack
While reading Tallis, I was immediately captivated by M.C. Rae's style of writing. It is simply impressive! I found myself pausing every couple of paragraphs to absorb what I had just read, since the fantasy world created is full of exceptional detail. From the descriptions of the setting to the intricate storyline, I am in awe at what is included in this novella.

Tallis is “The Loren” and immortal. There is a prophecy involving herself that she'd rather not see fulfilled. She shows no emotion, b
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

After entering the giveaway for this book on Goodreads I noticed that the author was willing to provide review copies so I quickly got in contact with her because I was intrigued by the synopsis and boy I am super happy I did, I'm also kicking myself for not picking it up quicker as I have the eBook version I wasn't aware it was a lovely short read at 58 pages. You're probably sat there thinking "
Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)
Unlike majority of the books I pick up, I wasn’t instantly drawn into the story. I think this is mainly because this is a fantasy, and I had to gain an understanding for the world or settings before I could pay attention to the plot. This was a very short read, yet mid way I found myself liking it more and more. The writing is beautiful; and I can easily at random pick any line form the story to use as an ice breaker in a poetic public speech. This was a forbidden love tale of immortals and anci ...more
Debra Anastasia
McRae's descriptions are more than worth the price of admission. This kind of story is a pure delight. For a novella, you get quickly and hopelessly addicted to every page.
Ivana
-more like 3.5 stars
-review originally posted at Willing to See Less

I had some difficulties getting into Tallis, since it pretty much dives straight into the main conflict. I couldn't follow the story and forgot character names. Since it's so short (55 pages in pdf), there wasn't much world building or character development, not even much story background. Instead, the reader is given a snippet of the story set right before a turning point.

Halfway through, I really started to enjoy it. Some thin
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
A huge Thank You to YA Bound for allowing me to be a part of this tour and reading this book. I have to say at first when I started reading it I was hooked into a world I have not read before. The description of the world had me drawn in. I have to say I have never really read a book like this but I am so happy I did. I will say this the book was short! Lord I was reading and reading and then it was done and I screamed WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need more ASAP! This book is so hard to review ...more
Melinda
I was totally impressed with this book!!! I found this author here as she had this book up in one of the give-aways, and I was saw that she was needing some reviewers as well. I contacted her, told her I was interested, and now have a copy for my Kindle. Thank you so much very much. Our protagonist had so many hard and terrible choices to make here. No, I don't like reading spoilers in reviews, but if you really want them, all you have to do is get it, you will find it so much more enjoyable to ...more
Bri
Please excuse me is this is less of a review and more of an ode to McRae’s prose. There is something about her writing that drew me in, and I enjoyed reading every word. It was the best thing about the book, in my opinion! Her prose was lush and beautifully descriptive, and the words just seemed to flow and fall right off the page. Here are a few examples (I included one romantic example for us diehard romantics out there *swoon*):

Night was a harbor to them, sheltering their words as they sat, l
Step Into Fiction
I have to say when I first started reading this book I thought it would be an easy read because it is shorter novella, but the language the author used in this book surprised me, it was still an easy read because the story is amazing; but the language it is kind of an ‘archaic’ language. For me, stuff like this or like old Shakespeare language is harder for me to read. Not that I’m stupid or anything, lol I just happen to read over words fast, even though I’m a slower reader so these types of la ...more
Annabel
May 22, 2012 Annabel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
22/05 YESS I WON THIS BOOK IN A GIVEAWAY! :)
fern
looks and sounds wonderful!!!
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: This book was okay...not great, not that good...just okay, in my opinion.

The story is definitely there. It was interesting but I always felt like I was missing something. The book just jumped right in with no backstory or explanation or anything. I felt lost from the start. It almost felt like a second book in a series or like a very rough draft where you get the story out but have to go back and fill in the blanks.

The book was also very detailed. It had a lot of descrip
Megan (Megan Likes Books)
I wish that Tallis was a novel instead of a novella. I felt like just as I was getting into it, it ended. While I'm sure M.C. Rae (aka. Killian McRae) has intentions to expand the Books of Andresium series, I not the most patient reader and a 57 page novella felt like a teaser! I think Tallis could have been fleshed out a bit more into a novel instead of a novella.

The world M.C. Rae creates in Tallis is very intriguing and I would definitely like to learn more about it. The world feels very comp
Rose Cimarron
[2012-04-23] St George's Day and my book has arrived! It's the paperback, but has the Kindle cover artwork...I may see if I can create another edition.

[2012-04-24] Finished the book (it is only 58 pages!). Review will follow. I have mixed feelings - see my updates for some idea of my feelings.

[2012-05-01] I have decided that of my mixed feelings, my enjoyment of Tallis is uppermost. I shall be looking out for the next installment.

My longer review can be found here.
Nora Coast
Genuinely enjoyed this short tale, and look forward to more of the story of Tallis. This is an entirely different world, rich in lore and tradition, but every bit as susceptible to deception and evil as our own. The writing is beautiful, fluid and easy to read, creating such lovely images in your mind that you simply want to read more, learn more. And the story is captivating. I'm entranced.
Hana
It's a phantasy story with mysterious world and amixture of
immortals and mortals. It was interesting, intriguing and easy to read and lwft me wondering what will happen.
Kristin
3.25 stars.

Brief review may follow.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Bastet
Bastet marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
lexie chapman
lexie chapman marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Charity Chimni
Charity Chimni marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Liz Mondaine
Liz Mondaine marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Summer Lovin' Anthology: Summer Breeze
  • Indomitable (Intangible, #0.75)
  • Once You Go Demon (Pure Souls, #2)
  • Dirty (Just Breathe Ephemera, #3)
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • UnCONventional
  • Learning To Love
  • Temptations (Temptations, #1)
  • End: An Apocalyptic Anthology
  • The Pirate Trilogy (The Pirate, #1-3)
  • Three of a Kind: Tales of Luck, Chance & Misfortune