Die Job

Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop #3)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  20 reviews
After an attempted murder at a supposedly haunted plantation, the ladies of Violetta's beauty salon unravel secrets that link a high school student, a centuries-old crime, and the roots to a very dark mystery.
Published January 3rd 2012 by Penguin Group (USA)

Goose
This third book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery collection is a major disappointment from pseudonymous Lila Dare. Don't know if Dare dashed this one off to complete her three book contract or if the publishers pushed her in certain directions but the whole book is a bit of a mess. Our usually reliable detective, Grace Terhune, seems to have become one of those women who thinks all men find her attractive be they ex-husbands or imported from California school teachers or everyone in between....more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Our Beauty Parlor sleuth, Grace Terhune is surprised when Rachel Whitley, her part-time helper asks for Grace's help with being a chaperone for her high school outing.

Grace is even more surprised when she realizes the field-trip is going to be a ghost debunking trip at the local Rothmere Mansion. Long considered, by the youth, of St. Elizabeth's, GA, to be haunted by Cyril Rothmere who died mysteriously at the bottom of the stairs. When is this happening, why Halloween night.

Sadly, a tragedy hit...more
Tofu Fairy
With this 3rd book in the series, I have no officially read the whole series (started with the 4th book that I won) and really hope there is a 5th book coming (anyone know?). As someone who enjoys supernatural reads, this books subject matter was fun for me while not too far-fetched for even readers who don't like supernatural genres. Again I enjoyed reading the history of the series and getting 100% up to date on all the characters by finishing the current series and was not disappointed in the...more
Jo (My House of Books)
The third in the Southern Beauty Shop mystery series, Die Job, picks up where the second book, Polished Off, ended. In addition to the mystery Grace Terhune and the women of Violetta's seek to solve, the town of St. Elizabeth is battening down the hatches for the arrival of a hurricane. And as tensions in town rise in anticipation of the hurricane and the murder investigation, this who-done-it isn't exactly what it would appear to be.

I was surprised by the presence of the romantic triangle featu...more
Amanda
There is certainly a lot going on in Grace's life. She is lucky to have so many people who love and care about her.

I wish that Hank would get a clue that he blew it and is never going to get another chance with Grace, in the beginning of the series it was amusing but it is past pathetic now. Maybe if his new partner would make her move he would finally let go of the past.

As much as I like Marty I am glad that he moved to DC, he and Grace are okay together but not great.

Agent Dillon on the other...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
In a strange way, this book, with all it's hurricane prep made me homesick. I certainly don't miss hurricanes! But the author did a really good job describing the atmosphere in a town under threat, reminding me of my childhood and adolescence and the connection to the weather that rarely exists when you live in a big city.

I thought the plot was really well done - I never guessed the bad guy and found out when only when the author wanted me to. I have concerns that the author intends to yank the...more
Susan
To help a friend, stylist Grace Terhune agrees to help chaperone a group of high schoolers who are spending some night hours at a supposedly haunted plantation. But there's an accident, and Grace feels guilty that she couldn't keep the victim safe. She simply has to investigate, bringing her back into contact, and conflict, with John Dillon, the handsome Georgia state investigator she's met before. They think they have the perfect plan to trap the murderer, but a looming hurricane can disrupt ev...more
Mary Z : )
I really like Lila Dare's writing style. The setting for this particular book was intriguing. St. Elizabeth is a fictitious town less than 20 miles from my house. When the main character described the narrow windows on the Georgia crime lab, she was absolutely right. The building is right next to my library! Good dose of reality, at least as far as geography and hurricane conditions are concerned. Nice work!
Amy
It's been so long since I read the last book is this series (Southern Beauty Shop Mystery) that it took me a while to remember all of the characters and their relationships, etc.

However, the story, itself, was great! Ghosts and murders and teenage angst and more!
Trish
This series seems to get a little bit better. The mystery on this one -- I did NOT figure out, and Kudos to the author for that twist at the end. I like the protagonist, the mystery, etc. Enjoyable, cozy reading but not a compelling page turner.
Linda Wiken
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! The characters are engaging and believable. The setting in delightful -- I can just feel that southern humidity and impending storm. Well-crafted crime and solution. I'm sticking with this series!
Ali
Hate triangles. Hate static triangles even more. Love the characters, love the mystery, love the writing, but did I mention I hate triangles (what's in D.C. should stay in D.C.).
great story! I have 3 books out from the library, and I started with this cuz I knew it wouldn't disappoint!!
Melodie
Love this series and think this one may be the best one yet! She did a great job with the hurricane stuff.
Kay
Beauty salon mystery. Lots of action--high school drama, hurricane, romantic triangle, etc.
Shoshana
Kate
Halloween, a haunted house, a hurricane and a great ending?? Loved this one!
Phyl
really enjoying this series - will keep reading for sure ... 4.25/5
Katlynn Holmes
Katlynn Holmes marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Pamela Richard
Pamela Richard marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Lee Ann
Lee Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girl Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Iced Chiffon
  • The Walled Flower (A Victoria Square Mystery #2)
  • A Killer Read (An Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Little Shop of Homicide (A Devereaux Dime Store Mystery #1)
  • Buried in a Book (A Novel Idea Mystery #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
Author of the Southern Beauty Shop mysteries, Lila Dare was born in Georgia and has lived in Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia. Although she has never worked in a beauty shop, she frequents salons and likes to tell her stylist: “Surprise me.” Maybe that’s why she looks nervous in her photo. She currently lives west of the Mississippi with her husband, two daughters and dog, and misses Southern co...more
More about Lila Dare...
Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1) Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2) Wave Good-bye