Start by marking “Dutch Me Deadly” as Want to Read:
Dutch Me Deadly

Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril #7)

Book 7 in the critically acclaimed, bestselling Passport to Peril Mystery series!

As a travel escort for seniors, Emily Andrew-Miceli has led her feisty Iowa clan all over the world. This time, they're off to see historic windmills, classic Rembrandts, and picturesque canals in Holland--if they can ever unplug from their smartphones, that is. Joining them is the high school
Published February 1st 2012 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dutch Me Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dutch Me Deadly

Chris
Crossposted at Booklikes.

This was a kindle freebie. I am conflicted a bit about this book. In some ways, it was a bit too stereotypical in the “old folks discover the internet but still spin out folksy wisdom” type of a way. But there is something charming about the mystery.

This is 7th in the series, but I haven’t read the others. It was easy enough to get into for a newbie The premise is Emily runs a travel group/agency and murders happen when she goes on trips to places. The main customers se
Linda
Aug 15, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
I like this series. I like Emily, Nana and all the rest of her Iowans. This was a fun story set in Holland where they are on tour with a group from Maine celebrating their 50th high school reunion. Good mystery. The most unbelievable part of the story (other than 3 bodies on one tour) is how the seniors are more technologically advanced than Emily.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Tour guide Emily Miceli returns to us with her dozen senior citizens in exciting Amsterdam, Holland. As per usual her group only takes up a bit of the bus, so they are joining a reunion group from Bangor, Maine.

As you will remember, this series is filled with laughter and bodies and this latest novel doesn't disappoint in the least.

Added to the reality of time passing is our beloved seniors discovering the art of 'texting.' It is Emily who needs to step up and join the 21st Century! When the h
Babs
The above blurb says it all. If I say too much more it might give the story away. I love the series and was sad when the books stopped. When I talked to Maddy, as I am sure most of us emailed her wanting to find out information, she told me the series might be picked up again from another publisher. I am glad it did. Someone finally notices the series is worth while read. Before, it was not getting the close attention and dedication it deserved and now it is.

I have read all the books in the ser
Versel Rush
Jun 19, 2012 Versel Rush rated it it was amazing
One of the best recent cozy series was the Passport to Peril mysteries by Maddy Hunter. Unfortunately, after her sixth book years ago, her publisher unexpectedly pulled the plug and the exploits of Emily and her band of Iowan senior citizens seemed lost to the ages. Until this year when Midnight Ink signed Hunter to a new contract and Dutch Me Deadly brought our intrepid world travelers back for more exotic locations, laughs, and, oh yes, murders.

As the title suggests, this time Emily, Nana, Geo
Leslie
Feb 27, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mysteries
While I think the premise of a tour group of seniors is clever, I found these characters not very realistic and all too similar to each other.

The murder plot was good, with plenty of clues to the solution without making it obvious.
Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, holland
I judged this book by it's cover and found it's insides just didn't measure up. There were a lot of loony characters, mostly seniors, who resembled the Estelle Getty character on Golden Girls. But all seniors aren't ditzes and dimwits. I lost patience with the one dimensional characters quickly.
Jan
Nov 10, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that this series is back! It is such an enjoyable cast of characters in well-written plot lines that keep me guessing as well as entertained. Thanks, Maddy Hunter!
Linda Smatzny
Nov 13, 2016 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Emily Andrew-Miceli and her group of seniors from Iowa are on a trip to Holland but not in time to see the tulips instead it is late autumn. The seniors all have smartphones and are all on them instead of watching the scenery. The Iowa group has another group from Maine traveling with them which consists of 50th class reunion. The bodies start falling early and continue. Emily of course starts asking questions. The book was a quick easy read.
Marie
Jan 18, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-book, arc, own
This review was originally posted on my blog, Ramblings of a Daydreamer. You can find it, and many more reviews at the blog.

I’d like to preface this review with a little back-story. I discovered the Passport to Peril series several years ago, loved it, and read all the books very quickly. I was so sad when the series ended, because it felt like saying goodbye to old friends. A few months ago, I was writing a post about top 10 books/series more people should know about, and I wanted to include th
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was another fun read from the Passport to Peril Series.
In this edition, Emily Andrews-Miceli is leading her group of Seniors from Iowa to The Netherlands. This time, they have discoverd technology and are constantly on their smartphones missing out on all the sites. Joining them is the high school class from Bangor, Maine, who are celebrating their 50th reunion. Only problem is that they do not get along and are constantly bickering and cursing. Not long after the tour begins, the first cas
Paul Lunger
Jun 06, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first entry in the Passport to Peril mystery series in 5 years is a treat & then some. The series follows travel escort Emily Andrew-Miceli & her group of seniors as they travel around the world. This entry takes the seniors to Amsterdam along with a 50th class reunion from Bangor, Maine. The trip starts out relatively smoothly save the seniors themselves who won't disconnect from their electronic devices & is full of sarcasm & jokes that will have you laughing your head off. ...more
Jan
Hooray, Emily Andrew (Miceli) is FINALLY back on tour with her Iowan seniors. This time they are touring the Netherlands, but Nana and the rest of the crew seem more absorbed in their smart phones than the scenery. Joining them is a group of class reunioners from Maine. But this group is hardly celebrating, as a matter of fact they can hardly stand each other. Add to that a cranky tour guide who talks to everyone as if they are children and you just know this tour bus is in the fast lane to trou ...more
Kristi
Aug 17, 2016 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
In the seventh installment of the Passport to Peril series, Emily and her faithful group of Iowan seniors travel to Holland. The plot thickens when they are joined on the tour by a group celebrating their 50th high school reunion. When the suspicious deaths begin to accumulate, Emily sets out to discover the identity of the culprit.

This is the first book that I have read of this series. I liked it quite a bit. It was humorous. I really enjoyed the group of seniors. I enjoyed the fact that they w
Georgiann Hennelly
Emily is the Chaperone for her group of Iowan seniors which includes her beloved NaNa. They are on a trip through the Netherlands . When their tour leader walks in front of a bike with fatal results. Emily thinks it was Murder considering her past experiences. The tour company sends a new guide whom the Iowans have used in the past. Also with them on the tour are the members of a High School gathering celebrating their 50th reunion. They have many grievances dating back 50 years so when two of t ...more
Sandy
Jun 15, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, 2013
Emily is so annoying. She always jumps to conclusion about everything.(view spoiler) She's also too nosy. If I were with the other group, I would not feel comfortable having her around playing cops interrogating everyone about everything based on her assumption. No surprise, they don't want to talk to her.

I like Nana and the gang more than her. The
Susan
Mar 11, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-europe
Emily is chaperoning her group of Iowan seniors, including her beloved Nana, on a trip through the Netherlands when their irritating tour leader walks in front of a bicycle--with fatal results. Emily naturally sees murder, considering her past experiences, and the tour company provides a new guide, whom the Iowans had used in the past. Also on the tour are members of a high school 50th reunion gathering, who have many grievances dating back fifty years. When two of their number die, it seems cle ...more
Marilyn
Jun 15, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A senior citizens group from Iowa and a Catholic high school 50 year reunion group from Maine are on a tour of the Netherlands together. Do you have that elderly, probably female, relative who says exactly what she thinks at family events and horror of horrors in public as well? There are some hilarious lines in this book. Do you know the reputation of Amsterdam with regard to drugs and sex? What a mix! All sorts of trouble ensues. The ending is unpredictable. I like mysteries with unpredictable ...more
Chi Dubinski
Dec 26, 2012 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Passport to Peril series, featuring Emily Andrew, guarantees to make you laugh out loud. Every one has been a winner. In Dutch me deadly, Emily and her group of senior citizens from Iowa tour Amsterdam and meet up with a group celebrating a class reunion from Bangor, Maine. First, the obnoxious tour leader is killed in a suspicious bicycle accident. Then two of the Iowans go missing. A great fun read.
Kaye
Jun 24, 2012 Kaye rated it liked it
Kind of fun - author has a sense of humor but mystery is a little lacking in plausibility. Way too many dead bodies! Story takes place in the Netherlands with a bunch of seniors from Iowa and Maine on a tour. One of the places they visited was Oostende- site of the Atlantic Wall constructed by the Nazis in WWII. I thought that was so interesting, I spent time on google looking it up. Would probably read another in Passport to Peril series but not rushing into it.
Teri-k
Sep 18, 2015 Teri-k rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is one of those cozy mysteries that's really silly and tries to be cute. If you're in the mood, you'll probably like it. But if you're not in the mood for silly/dumb humor and motives that make no sense to actual real human beings...

I have to say I found it a little distasteful that there were such great details about Anne Frank's house in and among the silliness. I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to think you don't make fun of some things. Like the holocaust.
❂ Jennifer
A very solid mystery with too many twists and turns to keep up with and by the end of the story I had no idea who did it, until it was revealed. The same cast of loony characters as in the previous 6 books, getting into typically loony situations. I'm still not a fan of Emily jumping to unfounded conclusions constantly, but it fades away in the face of the rest of the loveable cast. I look forward to more adventures.
Anastasia
Dutch me deadly by Maddy Hunter is the 7th book in the Passport to Peril mystery series. Emily's tour group of Iowans is joined by a group celebrating their high school reunion but their numbers start to rapidly dwindle after a series of accidents. It is always a lot of fun travelling with this group and they are always willing to join in and help out. An entertaining, fast-paced mystery with plenty of bodies.
Melanie Smith
Mar 03, 2012 Melanie Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Iowans are back! I just can't get enough of these characters and now, now they have discovered the world of "texting". Of course, their adventures are not complete unless someone disappears or murdered.
I love this series and I cannot wait until the next one! If you love a cozy mystery filled with lots of laughs and "adventures", then this series is just for you!
Sarah Adamson
Jun 26, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A cozy mystery, 7th in the series but my first by this author. The star is a young lady accompanying a group of senior citizens including her own grandmother on a trip around Holland and Belgium amidst several murders. Fun and interesting, some good humor but also some slightly weird twists. Could have done without the foray into the darker side of Amsterdam!
Jenn C
Jun 20, 2015 Jenn C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-2015
Emily and the gang travel to Holland to look at tulips, windmills...and the occasional dead body! ;) Full of humour (as always!), the mystery was good with a nice little twist at the end. There was a returning character from a previous book - it would be nice to catch-up with others as well! All that was missing was Etienne! ;)
Twyla
Mar 08, 2013 Twyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read any of this series and found I didn't need to have any extra info to follow along. Liked that. Downloaded for free on Amazon so thanks for that. The banter was like a clown car that keeps unloading. Found it odd though that nana didn't know what a glockenspiel was considering everything else. The phones and glasses and chocolate cake were the best parts.
Amy
Jan 09, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun book. I had a lovely time with the crazy tour members and was constantly laughing. Being that this is the 7th in the series, and I HATE reading books out of order, I felt I was missing a bit. Thankfully the library has all the previous books so I can catch up with Emily and the gang before I read the 8th one. I'm so glad Midnight Ink picked up this series!
Traci
Jul 03, 2016 Traci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-bingo
I loved this book. It was entertaining and allowed me to travel without having to leave my living room.

I loved Maddy Hunter's description of the Red Light District. If I ever get there, I need to remember not to go into a coffeehouse. You need to read the book to find out why.

I also learned that you need to be careful about bicyclists instead of cars when you are in Amsterdam.

Kathy Moberg
Maddy Hunter sustains a manic pace in this humorous mystery. I wish a bit more time was spent on the travel experiences. I also found some of the conversations tedious. More attention to the regular characters would have been fun. However, I'm glad to see this series is back again, and it was pretty much what I was expecting -- a goofy, fluffy, amusing mystery.
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Dial C For Chihuahua (Barking Detective #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • For Better, for Murder
  • Dog River Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #2)
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • Killer Image (Art Gallery Mystery Series #1)
  • Overdue for Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #2)
  • Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • California Schemin' (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #2)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
  • The Returns (The Returns, #1)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)

Passport to Peril (10 books)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril,  #5)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • Fleur de Lies (Passport to Peril, #9)
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)