Start by marking “Stone's Kiss (The Avatars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stone's Kiss (The Avatars, #1)

Stone's Kiss (A Gargoyle and Sorceress Tale #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  445 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
As a child, a near-drowning accident stole Lillian’s old life. Her new life began the moment she awoke at the foot of a brooding, stone gargoyle.

Years later, Lillian still finds comfort in Gregory, her gargoyle, never guessing he is more than cold stone until demonic creatures called the Riven attack. Gregory senses her terror and wakes from his healing sleep.

After the bat
Published February 1st 2012 by CreateSpace (first published November 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stone's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone's Kiss

In Stone by Louise D. GornallStone Guardian by Danielle MonschRock Hard And Wet by Jennifer  JamesHeart of Stone by C.E. MurphyEvery Last Breath by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Gargoyles - Fiction
22nd out of 138 books — 84 voters
Presence by Perie WolfordThe White Princess by Philippa GregoryPresence by Perie WolfordThe Submissive by Tara Sue MeThe Red Queen by Philippa Gregory
my reads 2012-2013
31st out of 68 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Bel
Sep 16, 2012 Bel rated it it was ok
I would almost say this book was for teens, except for the blatant sexuality throughout it. Now, the characters don't actually do the deed, but it's a very close call many times. Almost like this was written to sell the book, not to tell an interesting story. I was hoping for an in depth urban fantasy, but the magic in the book wasn't well explained or used. It was like the author expected the reader to already know how the magic worked. If this is the first or only book in this series, it was v ...more
Country Goose
It's as Good as its Cover

Lillian is a Dryad being raised by a witch in the mortal world. After being attacked by monsters, she brings her gargoyle to life, and she learns he has been alive for many years. After a series of events, Lillian learns she is a sorceress and Gregory is her protector, and together they must defeat the Evil in the mortal realm, within herself, and thwart the plans of Lady of Battles.

I felt like I had to trudge through knee deep cement to get through this. I almost gave u
Debra Hawkins
Jun 26, 2012 Debra Hawkins rated it it was amazing
I loved this story was gripped from the beginning...excellent read!!
Cathy Haslam
Nov 09, 2012 Cathy Haslam rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Had me hooked fast! When does book 2 come?
Vicky K.
Jan 09, 2012 Vicky K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I admit I’m a sucker for gargoyle heroes and beauty and the beast type stories. (I hereby place all blame of that on a certain Disney cartoon that I used to watch as a kid during the early 90s). And along that theme I’m continuing my quest for great gargoyle reads. LOL.
Stone’s Kiss by Ms. Blackwood caught my attention (actually the gargoyle statue on the cover caught my attention.) And I’m glad it did. This novel length ebook was sweet, a touch humorous and a bit dark at times. A mixed bag
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Lillian has spent her days trying to remember her past and an accident as a young girl robbed her those memories. Everyday she sits in her maze courtyard next the one thing that comforts her a Gargoyle statue. In a instant things change when a group of otherworldly creatures threatens to destroy her and the only one who she can run to is made of stone. Gregory has been in a healing sleep encased in stone for years until the blood of his beloved sorceress awakens him. Lillian will found out that ...more
Gaylin Walli
I liked this story quite a bit and was pleasantly surprised by it. The characters and the overall story were engaging and kept me reading far longer than I should have with the other things I had to do today. I'm a sucker for gargoyle stories apparently, as that's what drew me in first. But then I discovered the dryad angle and I was hooked. Incredibly unlikely pairing but it worked tremendously well. Overall the story was smooth, though with a few bobbles (demon possession and split personaliti ...more
Elly Helcl
Oct 20, 2014 Elly Helcl rated it liked it
This book was a strange cross between YA and romance. Tons of heavy "almost" sexual encounters but the main characters never do get to doing the deed.

As a fantasy author I really enjoyed the diverse characters in this book, as a reader I was annoyed by the fact that not all of the different species are well identified or explained. Too much was left for my imagination to fill in.

Overall, it was a good book and worth the read. I probably won't be reading more in this series but then again, maybe
Shanna_redwind
A solid first novel in the paranormal romance genre. I found both of the main characters very likable, though I wouldn't have minded a little bit more character depth.

The book was very fast paced and exciting and it kept me turning the pages. The battles were well thought out and described.

Occasionally the dialog seemed a little stilted to me, but for the most part it was well done as well.

I'd recommend this book to any readers of paranormal romance. A Gargoyle main character is certainly a gre
Patricia
Aug 02, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Was an incredibly fast read. It was hard for me to put down. Found it to be a pleasant mix of young adult and fantasy romance.

I loved the premise of a gargoyle being not only a protector, but love interest.

I did have one issue, I either missed how old the main character is in this lifetime or it isn't stated clearly. This leads me to questions about school or a job. It appears that Lillian had neither.

It seems like plot points are not finished by the end of the book, but I think that was intent
Megan
Aug 19, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this five stars for its originality of making an actual gargoyle the Hero of the story, but the ending dragged out and became too repetitive for me. Gregory would get mortally wounded, Lillian would save him; Lillian gets mortally wounded, Gregory saves her; Again, Gregory gets mortally wounded and Lillian saves him.... etc! It just kept happening.

Other than that, I really enjoyed reading this book and hope to eventually read the next in the series.
Carrie Felton
Interesting story

This story has an interesting premise but the execution was lacking at times. There is a strange shifting aspect to this story. By this I mean the story draws you and gets you interested then turns around and reduces interest to almost nothing. The just about the time you're ready to give up, another interesting part hits. In combination with that, I had a really hard time following what was happening throughout this entire book. It just seemed to jump around a lot with not a lo
Denise
Oct 18, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I liked this book enough to want to read the sequel. It has its problems, there seems to be repetitive scenes of either the girl or the gargoyle getting wounded and almost dying. The other one comes to their rescue and gives them blood to save them, rinse, repeat.
I did find the characters interesting and the story line compelling. I am hopeful that the sequels will add detail into the world building and develop more of the characters.
Lynelle Clark
Received the book as a freebie back in May 2012 and only got around it now.
The story line was creative. The author's imagination running wild. Romance is the center of the story as two souls came together at last after years of separation. Although not a big fan of gargoyles the writer brought a new human element to the story so that you could experience the closeness between the two main characters. The story was entertaining.
Carla J.
Aug 04, 2015 Carla J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Different

Dryads, gargoyles, vampires, dire wolves. Not your same old, same old story. Lillian has no memories before she was eight years old, she certainly had no clue magic was real and she wasn't human or that her stone gargoyle was a living sentient protector, until she needed that protection desperately.
Rosa Maria Garcia
Awesome book

The author is so creative and talented which keeps you on the edge of your seat. Loved the chemistry of the characters. They are interesting, complex, and full of surprises. You could feel their pain,sorrow, joy, and their forbidden love for each other. Truly enjoyable book and keep them coming.
Sheila Martinez
Sep 15, 2012 Sheila Martinez rated it it was amazing
Currently reading..... I love everything about this book so far.... Just wish there was more intensity between Gregory and Lilian... I hope they finally engage in sex because this back and forth is driving me insane.... Lisa I really like your work but please put a little more sexual heat into the story...
Denise Allen
Feb 19, 2016 Denise Allen rated it really liked it
Every woman should begin with a Gargoyle in her garden. Aside from wishing for an ageless adult female, it is a great start to a fantasy trilogy. Every woman holds a bit of magic somewhere, LIsa B definitely has it in the right places.
Shoulanda August
Mar 23, 2015 Shoulanda August rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This is my first book I have read by author Lisa Blackwood. I found this tale intriguing and full of surprises. I loved the storyline and the characters. This was very different from any books I have read so far. I look forward to checking out more books by Lisa
Danniell
Mar 23, 2015 Danniell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical love

Loved this book. So unique and caught my interest and held it. I haven't read many gargoyle books but this was a great one. It shows love can endure so much and come out on top.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Mar 10, 2015 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it liked it
I liked the book but i did not love it!
Some plot lines that should have been wrapped up never were. The characters on the side were created and pumped up with potential but then against the back drop of the MOST AMAZING love story (the basic plot line) simply never used.

The fight scenes... Well I wouls have preferred a bit more twists and a bit less predictability but they were not bad.

Now I never considered putting the book aside, so that is a major plus. The reason for this is the fact that
Lizzie
Jul 23, 2013 Lizzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to write a review later, as this book was EXACTLY what I want in a gargoyle romance but don't have the time right now. Lisa, this book freakin ROCKED! #ReadIt
BookHookup
*****this book was given to the Book Hookup by the author but did not influence the review*****

Celeste’s review: I enjoyed this book as it was a new paranormal read for me: gargoyles! Lillian, the heroine, had a near drowning accident when she was 8 years old and awoke at the foot of a gargoyle statue, but with no memories. Since then she has always found comfort in her statue. One day, Lillian is attacked by the Riven, and Gregory, the gargoyle, is brought out of stone to save her. She had no i
Celeste

I enjoyed this book as it was a new paranormal read for me: gargoyles! Lillian, the heroine, had a near drowning accident when she was 8 years old and awoke at the foot of a gargoyle statue, but with no memories. Since then she has always found comfort in her statue. One day, Lillian is attacked by the Riven, and Gregory, the gargoyle, is brought out of stone to save her. She had no idea she could summ
Marva
Jan 29, 2012 Marva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance fans
The writing is good, the fantasy idea of gargoyles and dryads is interesting. I couldn't finish the book because I grew tired of the angsty love between Gregory and Lillian.

I'm not a romance reader, so if there isn't some action going on (the fights with the Riven are very good), I get restless and skip ahead. I found more of the same with two jumps ahead, so I had to quit reading.

Here's the deal. This is simply not my cuppa tea. I think paranormal romance readers will be quite happy. I'm sorry
Meredith Boswell
Apr 03, 2016 Meredith Boswell rated it really liked it
I found it interfering and twisted. The one thing I suggest have the next book handy so you have no down time, cause it really gets you the ending.
Mary Ann
Oct 28, 2015 Mary Ann rated it liked it
A well told story that evolves around the eternal struggle of who will be in charge of an individual's life, the individual or someone else.
Angie
Jun 17, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the book grabbed my attention and kept it for most of the time. I liked Lillian and Gregory as characters. I would have liked more back story as to past versions of them being the "Avatars" of the Divine Ones and such. I would have liked more insight into the battles going on and such. The ending was alittle to abrupt for me, I would have liked for there to be concrete resolution with the Lady of Battles, because it seems like she has a more vested interest in Lillian. Overall t ...more
Brandi Jones
Jul 16, 2016 Brandi Jones rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, boring execution.
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Needs some editing but good story with interesting characters
Goodreads Librari...: I'm new and need help. 8 42 Feb 16, 2012 06:44PM
  • Shadows of the Soul
  • Sunrise at Sunset
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • All Hallows Heartbreaker (My Immortal Knight, #1)
  • Harvest Moon (Cat Clan, #1)
  • Micah's Magick (Elemental Witches, #4.5)
  • Deadly Fall (The 19th Precinct, #1)
  • Spellbound (Legend, #1)
  • Spellbound
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
  • When Sparks Fly (Spark, #1)
  • A Moonlit Night
  • Alana Weatherbee (Alana Weatherbee, #1)
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • Powerful Magic
  • The Ghost Hunter (The Hunter, #1)
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • A Night at Tears of Crimson (Tears of Crimson, #1)
Lisa Blackwood is a writer of fantasy romance, gardener, lover of music and all things book related. She grudgingly lives in a small town in Southern Ontario, though she would much rather live deep in a dark forest, surrounded by majestic old-growth trees. Since she cannot live her fantasy, she decided to write fantasy instead. An abundance of pets, named after various Viking gods, helps to keep t ...more
More about Lisa Blackwood...

A Gargoyle and Sorceress Tale (3 books)
  • Sorceress Rising (A Gargoyle and Sorceress Tale #2)
  • Sorceress Hunting (A Gargoyle and Sorceress Tale #3)