One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic

One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Something is clearly rotten in our Republic. Americans have lost faith in their politicians to a greater degree than ever, resigning themselves to “the best Congress money can buy,” as the comic Will Rogers once put it. It doesn’t matter whether they are Democrats or Republicans, people are disillusioned and angry as hell. They feel like outsiders in their own nation, powe...more
Published February 12th 2012 by Byliner

Timothy Finucane

Most of us spend our time debating politics from the left, right, or middle, but we all seem to keep missing the real problem that has inexorably lead the United States to become less of a Republic by the people, and more of an Oligarchy. This short book is Lawrence Lessig's call to arms to address the real problem in our current government - money.

Mr. Lessig makes an impassioned argument that failing to remove corporate money from the equation will mean all people, conservative or liberal, will

Peter
"“If we funded elections differently, politics would change. Overnight.” Lessig makes some great points and I think his recommendations would be a great first step towards saving our republic. I hope more people from both the Left and the Right will take the time to listen to his measured thoughts and look for a way to repair our political body that has lost touch with the people it claims to represent.
Justin Yost
Wonderful read into a plan to "Fix the Republic" by limiting the corrupting influence of money in politics. While Lessig is an acknowledged liberal he writes this book with an idea towards reaching all people, both those just as involved in the Tea Party as Occupy Wall Street or not involved in any political movement. His goal is to rewrite the rules that govern politics not towards giving one party or side more power but towards giving government back to "We The People" not the people who fund...more
Rick
Sep 30, 2012 Rick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Get riled up! Get worked up! Yeah! Shit is BROKEN, yo. If you're feeling helpless, this will give you some concrete things to do, but really, more than anything, it makes you realize that things are totally so messed up we need not one but a couple constitutional amendments. You'll get no argument from me, I actually agree, and Lessig does a great job laying out exactly what they should say. But, you know, that's a tall order. It's all kind of depressing.
Kent Winward
Lessig always intrigues. The mind behind Creative Commons applies his philosophy to politics. I agree with his philosophy of trying to strike at the root of the problem, ala Thoreau.

Attacking the political system from the outside seems to be a new and viable option for the disgruntled masses. Having just been slain by a local political party in my nascent political career, Lessig's words were my consolation.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
A very short read of suggestions on how to remove the corrupting influence of big money in politics. I'd really suggest anyone, regardless of political affiliation to read through this one, but I can't say that the book is outwardly good.

Ellen
Ver interesting call to action. Focusing on fixing / changing the really big picture, before changing the detail. A call for all in the US to take action together to improve government by reducing / removing corruption of elected officials
Zacho
This doesn't replace Republic, Lost. You still need to read that one. This has more of a guide or playbook feel to it of how the change will need to be implemented.
Darrell
Read this book of you agree that our government needs to change at a fundamental level. DON'T read this book I you aren't willing to participate in that change.
Tom Dillickrath
Essentially a long form essay. Interesting ideas, but need to go back and read earlier works that may provide more details
Stefan Daniel  Bell
I'll write more on this later, and I loved the way this book is presented in a non-adversarial way... ~ stefan
Angela
SuperPACs are evil, and they will lead to our destruction. Also, the internet is awesome. The end. Hear, hear!
Daniel Vimont
I had a great time creating the audiobook edition of this work (to make freely available at http://commonvox.org ).
Kathy
Tough to rate a book with an agenda - I give the concepts a 4, writing style a 2.
Schuyler Lystad
Very well thought out and written. Makes me almost think it's possible.
Rick
Interesting, but would have benefitted from an even shorter format.
Picklefactory
It needs reading.
Kevin Milden
Kevin Milden marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jeff Pettorino
Jeff Pettorino marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Heather Perkins
Heather Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Eric
Eric is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Being Geek: The Software Developer's Career Handbook
  • The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation
  • Age of Context: Mobile, Sensors, Data and the Future of Privacy
  • Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix it
  • Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
  • Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World
  • Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl
  • Whose Freedom?: The Battle over America's Most Important Idea
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Superbug: The Fatal Menace of MRSA
  • Regression
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back
  • Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country
  • Tweets from Tahrir
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
Lawrence "Larry" Lessig (born June 3, 1961) is an American academic and political activist. He is best known as a proponent of reduced legal restrictions on copyright, trademark, and radio frequency spectrum, particularly in technology applications.
He is a director of the Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard University and a professor of law at Harvard Law School. Prior to rejoi...more
More about Lawrence Lessig...
Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid Economy The Future of Ideas: The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World Code: Version 2.0