Start by marking “One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic” as Want to Read:
One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic

One Way Forward: The Outsider's Guide to Fixing the Republic

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Something is clearly rotten in our Republic. Americans have lost faith in their politicians to a greater degree than ever, resigning themselves to "the best Congress money can buy," as the comic Will Rogers once put it. It doesn't matter whether they are Democrats or Republicans, people are disillusioned and angry as hell. They feel like outsiders in their own nation, powe ...more
Published February 12th 2012 by Byliner

To ask other readers questions about One Way Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Way Forward

Timothy Finucane
May 27, 2014 Timothy Finucane rated it really liked it

Most of us spend our time debating politics from the left, right, or middle, but we all seem to keep missing the real problem that has inexorably lead the United States to become less of a Republic by the people, and more of an Oligarchy. This short book is Lawrence Lessig's call to arms to address the real problem in our current government - money.

Mr. Lessig makes an impassioned argument that failing to remove corporate money from the equation will mean all people, conservative or liberal, will

Peter
Jan 11, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
"“If we funded elections differently, politics would change. Overnight.” Lessig makes some great points and I think his recommendations would be a great first step towards saving our republic. I hope more people from both the Left and the Right will take the time to listen to his measured thoughts and look for a way to repair our political body that has lost touch with the people it claims to represent.
Justin Yost
Mar 11, 2012 Justin Yost rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Wonderful read into a plan to "Fix the Republic" by limiting the corrupting influence of money in politics. While Lessig is an acknowledged liberal he writes this book with an idea towards reaching all people, both those just as involved in the Tea Party as Occupy Wall Street or not involved in any political movement. His goal is to rewrite the rules that govern politics not towards giving one party or side more power but towards giving government back to "We The People" not the people who fund ...more
Rick
Sep 30, 2012 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Get riled up! Get worked up! Yeah! Shit is BROKEN, yo. If you're feeling helpless, this will give you some concrete things to do, but really, more than anything, it makes you realize that things are totally so messed up we need not one but a couple constitutional amendments. You'll get no argument from me, I actually agree, and Lessig does a great job laying out exactly what they should say. But, you know, that's a tall order. It's all kind of depressing.
Kent Winward
Mar 25, 2012 Kent Winward rated it really liked it
Lessig always intrigues. The mind behind Creative Commons applies his philosophy to politics. I agree with his philosophy of trying to strike at the root of the problem, ala Thoreau.

Attacking the political system from the outside seems to be a new and viable option for the disgruntled masses. Having just been slain by a local political party in my nascent political career, Lessig's words were my consolation.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
A very short read of suggestions on how to remove the corrupting influence of big money in politics. I'd really suggest anyone, regardless of political affiliation to read through this one, but I can't say that the book is outwardly good.

Ellen
Jun 29, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Ver interesting call to action. Focusing on fixing / changing the really big picture, before changing the detail. A call for all in the US to take action together to improve government by reducing / removing corruption of elected officials
Zach Olsen
Feb 26, 2012 Zach Olsen rated it it was amazing
This doesn't replace Republic, Lost. You still need to read that one. This has more of a guide or playbook feel to it of how the change will need to be implemented.
Darrell
Mar 22, 2012 Darrell rated it it was amazing
Read this book of you agree that our government needs to change at a fundamental level. DON'T read this book I you aren't willing to participate in that change.
Tom Dillickrath
Mar 08, 2012 Tom Dillickrath rated it liked it
Essentially a long form essay. Interesting ideas, but need to go back and read earlier works that may provide more details
Stefan Daniel  Bell
Sep 09, 2012 Stefan Daniel Bell rated it it was amazing
I'll write more on this later, and I loved the way this book is presented in a non-adversarial way... ~ stefan
Angela
Jun 12, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
SuperPACs are evil, and they will lead to our destruction. Also, the internet is awesome. The end. Hear, hear!
Daniel Vimont
Apr 22, 2013 Daniel Vimont rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had a great time creating the audiobook edition of this work (to make freely available at http://commonvox.org ).
Kathy
Feb 24, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Tough to rate a book with an agenda - I give the concepts a 4, writing style a 2.
Schuyler Lystad
May 02, 2012 Schuyler Lystad rated it it was amazing
Very well thought out and written. Makes me almost think it's possible.
Rick
Feb 26, 2012 Rick rated it liked it
Interesting, but would have benefitted from an even shorter format.
Picklefactory
Feb 24, 2012 Picklefactory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
It needs reading.
Regina Ford
Regina Ford rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jim Dutton
Jim Dutton rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
P
P rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Pedro Ramos
Pedro Ramos rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Patricia Garcia
Patricia Garcia rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Solarider
Solarider marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
James Strock
James Strock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Clayton Tidwell
Clayton Tidwell rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
William Earnest
William Earnest rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
  • Thinking Points: Communicating Our American Values and Vision
  • Being Geek: The Software Developer's Career Handbook
  • What Orwell Didn't Know
  • Post-Scarcity Anarchism
  • Rebels Against the Future: The Luddites and Their War on the Industrial Revolution: Lessons for the Computer Age
  • Hybrid Reality: Thriving in the Emerging Human-Technology Civilization
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • Beware Dangerism!
  • What Jefferson Read, Ike Watched, and Obama Tweeted: 200 Years of Popular Culture in the White House
  • Why Societies Need Dissent
  • How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
  • Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln-Douglas Debates
  • Beyond the Hole in the Wall: Discover the Power of Self-Organized Learning
  • Einstein's Mistakes: The Human Failings of Genius
  • Database in Depth: Relational Theory for Practitioners
  • Capitalism Hits the Fan: The Global Economic Meltdown and What to Do about It
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • Gödel's Theorem: An Incomplete Guide to Its Use and Abuse
Lawrence "Larry" Lessig (born June 3, 1961) is an American academic and political activist. He is best known as a proponent of reduced legal restrictions on copyright, trademark, and radio frequency spectrum, particularly in technology applications.
He is a director of the Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard University and a professor of law at Harvard Law School. Prior to rejoi
More about Lawrence Lessig...