De Vijfde Olifant (Discworld, #24)

De Vijfde Olifant (Discworld #24)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  29,042 ratings  ·  530 reviews

Everyone knows that the world is flat, and supported on the backs of four elephants. But weren't there supposed to be five? Indeed there were. So where is it?...

When duty calls. Commander Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork constabulary answers. Even when he doesn't want to. He's been "invited" to attend a royal function as both detective and diplomat. The one role he relishes; the

Published May 2002 by Uitgeverij M (first published 1999)

Melki
Aw, man!

First the Scone of Stone goes missing. Then Angua disappears and Carrot is off to find her. With Sam Vimes on his way to the coronation in Uberwald, that leaves Fred Colon as Acting Captain of the Watch. The horror, the horror! He annoys everyone and makes a general mess of everything...not to mention that his "principles" make him reluctant to investigate the death of a local manufacturer of rubber preventatives.

Sound confusing? It's not. At least, not yet.

Throw in some assorted dwarf...more
Kristen
I know that many have stated that there had been a decline in his writing as time goes on… I personally would have to disagree. There is a change in his writing; however I feel that it has been for the better. As his book have progressed, he has leaned less toward the quick giggle and insane rush of nonsense and more toward a satirical plot with darker edges and the giggles interspersed within the story rather than his jokes running the story.

The Fifth Elephant is one of Pratchett’s more plot dr...more
apple
Aug 31, 2011 apple rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to apple by: Teena R.
Shelves: fantasy
Please allow me one quick soul-searching moment. Before I was introduced to the awesomeness of Discworld…I was just an empty shell of a fan

I haven’t picked up Discworld book for quite some time (last one I read was Jingo) so reading the Fifth Elephant kind of gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling of falling in love with Sir Terry Pratchett’s work all over again. I think this book is the most action-packed volume in City Watch series yet. Imagine Bruce Willis all decked out in tights with British ac...more
John
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series really caught me by surprise. I _expected_ airy, humorous fantasies with a satirical edge to them (I picked up on this from the title of the first one I read: GOING POSTAL). But that description does not do these books justice. These are good stories, regardless of the fact that many of the characters are fantastic or supernatural creatures (including a talking dog).

The main character of this book (Sam Vimes - featured in many of the Discworld novels) is on a d...more
Patrick
There's worse ways to start the year than reading some Pratchett. So that's what I did.

I've only read this one one once before, and that was years back, so it was fun and pretty fresh for me.

I'm a big fan of Vimes, but even given my bias, this is a great book. Probably not on the level of Pratchett's best (Monstrous Regiment, Thud, Wee free Men) but still a great book.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Funny, gripping. Hinges on tradition, change, diplomacy and Sam Vimes' ability to be the most dogged policeman in existence, and interestingly on a smelly little dog's somewhat parallel abilities. Lots of great side-plots and gags. Everything perfectly balanced, a delectable repast served up by a master chef.
Karen
Oh hi there. Were you looking for another 'review' where I talk about how much I love these books? GOOD CAUSE THAT'S WHAT IS HAPPENING.
I've always enjoyed The Fifth Elephant. Political intrigue, great cast, and explorations of dwarf culture in the Discworld. It's also just your classic Vimes mystery, superimposed on 'diplomacy' and politics. The setting is one of the key things that makes this book really good - Vimes and the Watch are filling their usual roles, but in a country where they reall...more
Paul Cude
My favourite book in the whole world...and the one I'd have to have on a desert Island. The whole story is so compelling and I can picture all of it, in the very last detail in my head. Clearly the author had been caught speeding or some traffic offense of one sort or another around the time he wrote the book, because the opening squence just shouts that out and is magnificent....Nobby Nobbs in a dress...what a thought! The twists and turns in the plot are just brilliant and the best bit of the...more
Jamie
Another fun Pratchett book featuring the Night Watch. I love Vimes, and the story stays with him most of the time as he undertakes a diplomatic mission to Uberwald, which is full of vampires and werewolves and dwarfs, oh my. Lady Sybil, who I also thoroughly enjoy, travels with him.

I didn’t think there was anything particularly brilliant about this one, but I am still giggling over the Scone of Stone.
Jonathan Palfrey
I think this is one of the better Discworld books, in principle, but I'm reluctant to give it more than three stars because, although quite funny initially, it becomes rather disagreeable towards the end. Seriously unpleasant characters, serious conflict, serious casualties: just what you might expect from some novels, but not quite what I expect from a Discworld novel.

It's a kind of City Watch book, in that all the City Watch characters are involved, but in this one Sam Vimes is sent to Uberwal...more
Kathleen
Put him in tights, call him Your Grace, and send him off as an ambassador, but Sam Vimes is a cop. Where there are cops there's crime.

The Watch goes to Uberwald, where werewolves, vampires, and traditional dwarves keep a tenuous peace. Of course, Vimes can be a very upsetting character. An openly female dwarf and a troll wielding siege weaponry aren't exactly a low profile retinue.

These books continue to be funny and spot on. I highly recommend this just read the Watch books reading order.
Tom
Not sure if this is my favourite Discworld book I've read, but it's probably my favourite Watch book.

Everything about it was marvellous:
* Sam Vimes is such a complex character and he gets more and more fascinating and likeable with each book. I totally dug the moral stuff near the end about taking the life of a murderous person.
* The setting of Bonk was really good, and well-realised, with all the factions that Vimes has to deal with.
* Cheery and Detritus getting tons of screen time is great fun...more
P. Aaron Potter
This is my other contender (with "Feet of Clay") for the best of Pratchett's Discworld books. It's not merely fantasy: it's literature. No, it's Literature, with a capital "L," because it accomplishes all literature ever sets out to do: engage an audience, suspend disbelief, and effortlessly hide its didactic purpose while making trenchant observations about the human condition.

Unlike pure "fantasy," Pratchett's novels can't quite achieve the quality of escapism, because it is far too easy to re...more
Claudiu
Apr 03, 2012 Claudiu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of the series, Fantasy fans, wit fans, fans fans fans
Recommended to Claudiu by: Andreea
One can never accuse Terry Pratchett of needing a wordcount trim. If anything he'd do with some fattening up usually.

The Nightwatch books seldom disappoint. This wasn't the case, as the high star rating would indicate. It's a fun romp with a fun little plot and fun characters that just grow and grow and grow on you.
It's amazing how every book set on the Discworld manages to advance things and yet keep them delightfully the same. It may sound a bit corny but this is one world that shouldn't chan...more
Sally
So far I've read 31 of the Discworld books, and The Fifth Elephant is the 5th of the stories featuring Sam Vimes and the City Watch. With reading many books by the same author comes a tendency to say one or another was a favorite. This one was perhaps a favorite for me, not because of the story line, although it was as good as are most of them, but because I caught myself chuckling out loud a number of times. I even had to read aloud little bits to my husband because he'd ask me what I was laugh...more
Caitlin
I don't really know how to sum up my love for this book in words. The characters are amazing: Sam Vimes is always good for any sarcasm or witty comebacks, Carrot with his innocence, I don't even know where to start with Ventinari. It's just so good!

READ IT!! (But first please read the others with the Watch in it. That'd be Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay and Jingo. All also amazing books that I love.)

I mean I loved it so much that I read it in one day, staying up until 1 o'clock to fi...more
mina
Salah satu dari Discworld series Hasil ngiler-ngiler di Kino. Kelamaan ngiler akhirnya terbeli juga. Sekali ini bagian dari subseries Night Watch, pasca Vimes menikah dengan Lady Sybil. Saat Night Watch bukan lagi Night Watch saja, tapi sudah menjadi The Watch, sebuah Guild sendiri. Ini buku kedua subseries ini yang aku baca, sesudah Men at Arms.

Sekarang Watch (versi Polisi-nya kota Ankh-Morpork) sudah berkembang pesat, dan semakin banyak kaum minoritas yang terwakili :p Kalau waktu di Men at Ar...more
Nicolas
Dans ce roman, on asiste sans doute à la première sortie de Vimaire hors des doux murs d'Ankh-Morpokh, ce délicat refuge de la civilisation la plus cosmopolite du Disque-Monde. Sortie qui, bien sûr, n'est pas de tout repos.
En effet, Vimaire est envoyé, bien contre son gré, par le Patricien comme ambassadeur en Uberwald, contrée mythique des vampires, des loup-garous, et des nains intégristes.
Il est d'ailleurs curieux de voir à quel point, alors qu'on se serait attendu à ce que le roman nous parl...more
Ann
The fifth elephant (anybody remember "The Fifth Element?") crashed into the Discworld millenia ago, resulting in the vast underground fat deposits of Uberwald. The theft of the Scone of Stone sends Commander Vimes on a diplomatic mission to Uberwald, home of dwarfs, vampires, and werewolves. Accompanying him are Lady Sybil, Sgt. Detritis, Corporal Cheery (that's Cheri) Littlebottom, and Corporal Angua. There is absolutely nothing that cannot and is not parodied in this book. If you don't laugh o...more
Julie
I LOVE Pratchett's work; he astounds me as an author. The Fifth Elephant is one of my favorites of the Discworld series and the Night Watch set is my favorite sub-series in it. The humorous satire on the human condition is, as always, a delight and yet I found even more in the solid storyline and characterizations. I especially enjoy the interplay and dialogue between characters; it is a real skill to create a novel that is so vivid and yet doesn't waste time on descriptive narrative. I'll work...more
astried
I still don't understand the connection with the title.. I'm growing to be a true Carrot hater (that's too harsh, not-a-fan?) since I enjoyed this book so much just because he didn't have big part in it. I think I have problem with man that everybody loves. I realized this problem as I was reading The Old Man at the Railroad Crossing and Other Tales and loved the man who has no friend better in one of the short stories. Carrot did behave marvelously by showing that Angua is more important than t...more
Jessica
I love Vimes books, but they always make me feel a little stupid - mysteries have never been my forte. I've read the Vimes books about as out of order as is possible, so some of the more surprising elements of this story were known to me from later novels. That made it nice though, as I got to wonder when the other shoe was going to drop.
Macie
This is one of my favorite books by Terry Pratchett, and that is saying something. If you're not a Pratchett fan, you might have some trouble keeping up, but it is worth the attempt. This one has political intrigue, a mystery, and Pratchett's usual satire and witty observations about human nature. It also has dwarfs, werewolves, Igors, a troll, a vampire, and a talking dog, but none of these things keep me from enjoying the Discworld books. Sam Vimes, with all his internal conflicts, is so much...more
L.M.
Terry Pratchett has done it again! He's created a marvelously entertaining story that has adorable, lovable characters and a complicated plot. He never fails to delight the reader with his Discworld shenanigans! Sam Vimes is the star in this story and he is as prickly, committed, and humorous as ever. Much of this story takes place in Uberwald, which I hadn't really read much about before. If you haven't read "Thud!" yet, read this one first, since it comes right before "Thud!" in chronological...more
Kurtbg
This book can be considered Jingo Part II. The author seems to have a penchant for the citywatch commander, Sam Vines, and uses this character more than others. As in Jingo Sam is sent to another country, Uberwald (aka Transylvania) where vampires, werewolves, dwarves and the like reside. Terry expands on the concept of "igors" and there high level of versatility when it comes to needing work done. This book isn't the best in the series, but it is still an entertaining read.
MB
Another favorite Discworld reread! I love Vimes in this book and his Vimesian diplomacy. Also love Lady Sybil, and Cheery, and Detritus, and the Igors, and Lady Margolotta....and, and, and.

I enjoy the important ways Carrot and Angua's relationship develops even though we see very little of them.

Wish Inigo were to be a continuing character.

Pratchett at the height of his powers, and possibly Vimes at his best, or near anyway.
Johnny
This book has it all: story, plot, consistency, substance, characters, suspense, mystery, action, adventure, humor, romance, fantasy, policing, detectives, cops, soldiers, thieves, mages, kings, dwarfs, vampires, werewolfs, Carrot, trolls, golems, talking dogs, Nobby, gargoyles...

The only thing it lacks is a suitable number of sequels.
Cassie
Vimes is such a great character! He actually develops over the course of the Watch books, but he's always steadfast with most of his convictions. I love getting to see more of Sybil, too, because I feel that the reader actually gets to see that Vimes loves Sybil in this book. The previous books always made me feel as if he just married her just because he felt he should. And because Sybil can be a force to be reckoned with.

Looking at it now, I don't think Pratchett writes romance between his cha...more
Barbm1020
Vimes at his best in this tale of intrigue and organic energy resources. Human/animal partnerships are explored and natural instincts provide the motivation which brings this heroic tale to a resounding conclusion. And the tallest redheaded warf of all saves the day for everyone. A ripping yarn.
Fantasy Literature
Lord Vetinari is dragging Ankh-Morpork and its City Watch into the modern age, but not everyone is happy. Now, instead of just leaving their carriages on the street, people that stop traffic and business will have to watch as a troop of trolls hauls their carriage away (unless they can afford to bribe Sergeant Colon). And although many of Ankh-Morpork’s dwarfs still cling to the old ways, others have begun to act radically: female dwarfs like Cheery Littlebottom not only admit that they are wome...more
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • They Came And Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Legends
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Mort (Discworld, #4) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“He'd noticed that sex bore some resemblance to cookery: it fascinated people, they sometimes bought books full of complicated recipes and interesting pictures, and sometimes when they were really hungry they created vast banquets in their imagination - but at the end of the day they'd settle quite happily for egg and chips. If it was well done and maybe had a slice of tomato.” 273 likes
“A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores.” 147 likes