Paraglide

Paraglide

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For siblings Jim and Erica Winters, a summer vacation to London promises adventure and a bit of freedom from their overprotective mother. But once they arrive, they end up with more excitement than they bargained for. Their mother is kidnapped and her captors demand the one thing they can’t produce – their long-absent father.

Unable to trust the authorities, Jim and Erica s...more
Published January 9th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Paraglide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paraglide

Paula  Phillips
When Jim and Erica's mother decides to take them on a trip to the UK to visit her aunt, Jim is unhappy. He would rather have gone to Paris and he expects he will have to follow his mother and sister around. His mother used to be cool, but since their father left eight months ago, she has become paranoid and insists on keeping them in her sights at all time.

But when their mother is kidnapped, Jim and Erica discover that their father's leaving and this trip isn't all that it seems. They have one...more
Silvana
All Jim and Erica wants is just a little bit adventure like every teenagers in the world. Jim and Erica are siblings they father left and their mother decided to bring them in Europe to visit their aunt. Jim wants to go in Paris, but Paris isn’t on his mother’s itinerary. In London they not only got adventure but adrenaline shock. Their mother was kidnapped and they are all along. The kidnappers demand is some key and their father. But where he is? Where they go to find him?
London, Colchester,...more
Jessirae
Paraglide by Peter Anthony Kelley is a story about two siblings, Jim and Erica, who face a troubling dilemma. Their mother has been kidnapped and the kidnappers want someone they have not seen for nearly a year, their father. Due to unfortunate circumstances and events, the siblings are forced to travel from city to city, country to country trying to escape, not one, but two sets of kidnappers, survive and meet the deadline set up for them and find where their father is hiding. In Paraglide, Jim...more
Kelly
A light, fun read full of twists, turns, delicious food and exotic locations, Paraglide was a fun adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat as Jim and Erica fought to outsmart a couple of goons in search of their kidnapped mother and missing father!

Told in alternating third points-of-view, I found it so easy to relate to both Jim and Erica. Their voices were young enough to be believable, but old enough to enjoy reading. I did find that there were times where both Jim and Erica came across m...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)

With their mother kidnapped and their father in hiding these kids really have it rough. But with determination and a lot of twists to the plot that comes up, they are able to travel to different countries, outrunning the kidnappers themselves looking for the answers.
They first must find their father to find their mother. He seems to be the key on why she has been kidnapped. The kidnappers seem to think that their father has to do with some stolen crown jewels and they have taken their mother as...more
Daniela
The Winters family is visiting London. The three of them are going to see their mother's cousin, Abbey Brewer, who neither sibling, Jim or Erica, has ever heard of before. But that doesn't matter anymore. All that matters now is that their mother is missing, Jim is stuck with his little sister, and their only chance to save Genevieve Winters is to find their father who left them 8 months ago. Looks like their small vacation just turned into a nightmare.
While touring the London Eye, two men in su...more
Angeline
I was super duper pleased by Paraglide and it exceeded my expectations. A story of full of suspense and actions had me racing towards the end.

What I Liked:
Jim and Erica's brother/sister relationship is authentic
I can imagine Erica as my little endearing/annoying sister.
Kelley does a good job of setting the scene and creating suspense
Kelley makes you doubt yourself on who the bad guys really are! I kept thinking it's him, no it's her, no it's definitely him. Then I'm wrong at the end. It drives y...more
(I was given this book for free by the author on a read-to-review basis.)
15-Year-old Jim and his 9-year-old sister Erica have had a difficult year. Their parents have split up, they’ve had to move from Washington D.C. to Minnesota, and they haven’t seen their father in months.

Taken to England by their mother on a trip to meet a distant cousin, the unthinkable happens and their mother disappears. The really scary thing is that she appears to have been kidnapped.

Harassed by two men in matching...more
Soma "Insomnia Of Books"

I was so intrigued when the author asked me to write a review, just look at the cover! It's such a beautiful illustration, the colors, how the characters are blackened out, it's really unique. And the blurb is captivating, so I had to give it a try and it was adventurous!
Jem and Erica's father has been missing for months, and they don't have any idea where he is. On an unexpected trip to England, their mother is kidnapped by a group of men. These men want Jem and Erica to do the seemingly-impo...more
Karen
Children travelling around the world? Mystery, action and romance? Agents and a blue-eyed scary freak? Please let my read this book one more time!

Paraglide is a fantastic story about Jim and Erica, that has to travel the world around searching for their father and help their kidnapped mother.

The plot in this book are wonderful. You follow Jim and Erica, and Kelley is really good at switching between who's thoughts you get to hear. The author describes everything easy and understandable. I wish...more
♥ Amanda
I won a copy of Paraglide through Library Thing.

Paraglide is about a boy, Jim Winters (age 15) and his sister Erica (age 9) that are trying to find their missing father in 6 days, because their mother gets kidnapped while they are on vacation in England. The bad guys believe Jim's father has stolen some jewels, and they want them back in exchange for Mrs. Winters. I gave this book 3 stars, and found it likable, more for the 10-14 age group. I had a hard time finding it believeable, maybe becaus...more
Vanessa
Paraglide was truly intriguing and engaging from the very beginning. I was still left breathless even after everything has ended and definitely looking forward to another adventure with Jim and Erica if there's any. This book is recommended to fans of Enid Blyton like myself and fans of middle-grade/YA contemporary thriller that even adult can enjoy.

full review at: http://borneanbookworm.blogspot.com/2...
Rebecca McKinnon
A middle-grade spy adventure? Hooray!

The story is told from both Jim's and Erica's points of view, and they are both great characters. Yes, they have a great adventure (if you call being chased, threatened, kidnapped, etc. great), but they're scared half the time, and worried the other half. In other words, they're believable.

In a couple of years, I plan to read this with my son. (And that's pretty high praise.)
Lindsay
Somehow I expected future or sci/fi YA from the name and cover, but it's not. It's a brother/sister action/adventure through Europe to solve a mystery about their family.

If you like this one, London Escape by Cacey Hopper is similar, and I think, better.
Cacey Hopper
This book was right up my alley! One of the few young adult/middle grade books that I've read that is actual classic action and adventure. I really enjoyed it!
Courtney
My review of this book can be found here:

Shelley
Aug 28, 2012 Shelley marked it as to-read
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Hanna Krivinchuk
Hanna Krivinchuk marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
e
e marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Romi Sobrevilla
Romi Sobrevilla marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Jade Casey
Jade Casey marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Rhonda Boyd
Rhonda Boyd marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
K.eliska
K.eliska marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
ioana.
ioana. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Peter is the author of the young-adult novels, Wave Runners and Paraglide. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife, two daughters and a cranky nineteen-year old cat named Brownie. He graduated from American University with a Master's degree in International Relations. When he's not writing he loves travel, biking and watching soccer.
More about Peter Anthony Kelley...
Wave Runners (Jim and Erica Winters Adventure #2)