Start by marking “Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood” as Want to Read:
Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood
Preview

Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  19 reviews
What do we really know about the vital stuff in our veins?

Some people faint at the sight of blood while others eat black pudding or sip blood soup. Some can't think of it without hearing the faint rustle of a vampire's cape. Others rush to see the latest gory horror film. Why does blood hold such emotional power?

Around the world, blood has always been a symbol of both life
Published February 1st 2012 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing Red

Rebecca
Seeing Red looked really fascinating. I find learning about things like blood really intriguing so I was quite excited to pick up Seeing Red. Needless to say I did learn quite a bit about blood.
I loved how there was so much information relating to blood. It was about the science of blood, the culture surrounding blood and all sorts of other interesting tidbits to do with blood.
Another thing I really loved were little comic strips throughout the book featuring a boy named Harker and he had his ow
Kris
Tanya Lloyd Kyi and illustrator Steve Rolston did a fantastic job with 'Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood'. The book is perfect for children aged 8-13, but would still catch the interest of children curious about blood outside of that age range. The author organized the book into 5 chapters plus a conclusion, including aspects on the science, beliefs and rituals, and mythology of blood. The illustrator adeptly compliments the information shared by the author with cartoons focusing on Harker, t ...more
Brenna
3.5 out of 4 stars

Provides a lot of information on a variety of topics related to blood- I especially found the discussions about different cultures and their connections to blood and blood ritual interesting. The information isn't very detailed and provides a basic overview, though it looks like a "kids" book and is marketed for grades 4-7, it's something that is probably more appropriate for middle school students. Even though the reading level isn't very difficult, high school students could
Kaethe
Tash checked it out, but then wasn't interested. I was.

***

And a win. The book does a great job of covering what was thought to be true about blood throughout humanity and time, as well as what has been proven. It covers enough of the fantastic to intrigue, but does a great job of showing how universal superstitions are. A zippy read with lots of good sidebars, an amusing graphic novel side plot, and an engaging tone. I closely read even the stuff I already knew about.

Library copy.
Eustacia Tan
Lately, I realised that kids have all the luck. They have great stories (like The King in the Window) and when people try to make them learn something, it's normally quite fun. One example is Seeing Red, which basically looks at blood (its history, people's perception of it, etc)

What I liked about this book is that it manages to devle into the world of blood (like blood sausages and blood brothers) without being too long or draggy. While it was a bit distracting to constantly look at the tibits
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Dec 13, 2012 Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids who are interested in blood and science
Shelves: netgalley
Seeing Red: The True Story of Blood is a nonfiction book about blood intended for young readers. It's a very cute book with fantastic illustrations throughout. The illustrations serve a dual purpose and not only tell a story through the comics, but they are also used well to summarize each chapter.

What I really liked is that even though the language is simpler than a book intended for adults, it remains informative. Even as an adult reading this book I found that I was learning a lot that I didn
Sara Thompson
I really enjoyed this book. As nonfiction juvenile literature goes, this has got to be in my top ten. Seeing Red is an explanation of blood. Not the typical scientific approach but a cultural one. Dotted with a graphic novel type story, Seeing Red explains how blood has shaped various cultures and continues to presently.
The book is written for a juvenile audience but the information is entertaining for all ages. There are five main topics pertaining to blood – blood rituals, rites of passage, bl
Kris
Steven R. McEvoy
This book was a wonderful surprise. The cover and title grabbed my attention right from the start and it just got better with every page I read. The chapters are:

Introduction. The Bloody Facts
6. A Taste For Blood
Further Reading
Selected Sources
Index

The format of this book was wonderful, fully illustrated and even the text is part of the design and layout to make the book visually and viscerally appealing
Krista
Interspersed with comic-style illustrations, the name-grabbing book explores various cultures and their unique rites, myths, and taboos in relation to blood and the human body, including the significance and various symbolism of blood in pop culture.

The book is filled with historical trivia that is entertaining to a reader of any age, especially reluctant boy readers. The same crowd that loves everything warrior and extreme adventures would find an audience with this read that explores not only
Kellee
Blood is something that most middle schoolers are fascinated in, so this book is right down their alley. For example, one time in class I told my students about blood letting and leeches and it led to a 30 minute conversation- they were enthralled and wanted to know as much as they could. Many said the topic was gross, but they seemed to be the ones asking the most questions.

I loved how this book is not just about blood. This book goes through the history of the science of blood, how blood has
Carrie
Unfortunately, this is more of a young adult read than a middle-grade. :-( But I learned several interesting blood facts within the pages such as, pure Aryan blood wasn't that, it was bc samples were taken from a small village with blond/blue eyes, that blood splatter at crime scenes is understood due to the shape the droplets make at different velocities, and even Gaul warriors cut off their enemies' heads and used them as necklaces for their horses. Yikes!! I am glad this is more of a graphic ...more
April
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my emotions.

I would love to see more from this author! Definitely o
Lavabearian
Anne
Have you ever wondered why doctors practiced bloodletting for thousands of years, or what role blood plays in coming of age rituals throughout the world? Find out, and much more, in Seeing Red. Short chapters, lots of drawings, and interesting fact bubbles make this a quick and fascinating read.
Tasha
Great look at a cool subject. Fabulous for middle school students who aren't turned off by a little gore (not even realizing they are getting information at the same time) and I already know what part I'm going to booktalk to some classes tomorrow!
Angela
Such an awesome book on blood for kids. This book covers biology, history and even forensics. The writing is fun to read. The illustrations were great. This is another one for the classroom or school library.
Jessica
Fun and interesting. Great non-fiction for boys and girls whether reading for school or fun. The graphics are cool and make reading about blood even better!
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Matt Durbala
Matt Durbala marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Tanya writes both fiction and non-fiction, often choosing topics related to science, pop culture, or social history—or a combination of the three. She enjoys combining factual research with intriguing narratives, or the life stories of interesting folks.

In her spare time, Tanya likes to run, bake, and read. Her favourite meal is breakfast, her favourite color is blue, and her favourite children’s
More about Tanya Lloyd Kyi...
Anywhere but Here Truth 50 Underwear Questions: A Bare-All History My Time as Caz Hazard 50 Body Questions: A Book That Spills Its Guts