Start by marking “Two Babylons (Black's New Testament Commentaries)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Two Babylons
Alexander Hislop

Two Babylons (Black's New Testament Commentaries)

You may be surprised to learn that many traditions of Roman Catholicism in fact don't come from Christ's teachings but from an ancient Babylonian 'Mystery" religion that was centered on Nimrod, his wife Semiramis, and a child Tammuz. This book shows how this ancient religion transformed itself as it incorporated Christ into its teachings. You may be surprised that certain ...more
Published December 1st 1961 by A & C Black Publishers Ltd (first published 1916)

Patrick Sullivan
Easy reading and very informative.
Mar 19, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent!!! book. Such valuable insight and knowledge. I was definitely convinced.
Pam Ewert
a bit over my head, but fascinating. I will read again, think I will pick up more.
Christopher Colegrove
Excellent expose of the connections between mother-goddess worship with child in various cultures and it's connection to the elevation and "devotion" to Mary as "queen of heaven" in modern times. Not completely factual, but mostly factual account. Main love of this book is the history going back to Nimrod (c. 2200 BC).
May 23, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
intense book... fascinating collection of information that shows how widespread the knowledge of God was in the ancient world. Hislop presents so much evidence it is overwhelming, but one might draw different conclusions from the data. The primary thing the reader should realize is that the messianic hope is present in all civilizations and that mother-goddess worship is a perversion of God's true intention for man. God promised the solution to the issue of sin in Genesis 3:14 through the promis ...more
Douglas Wilson
Jun 02, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Steve Helsel
Feb 28, 2010 Steve Helsel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written about a hundred years ago. It gives a remarkable expose on the heretical roots of Catholic tradition and Christian holidays. This book often turns out to be a source material in many other works dealing with similar subject matter. It is written in a flawless style with painstakingly arranged footnotes. Read this book carefully, it requires an above average degree of literacy.
Dec 22, 2009 Daniel2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read. Many indisputable elements, though erroneous at times: Some of the research is bad, but still the assertions must be assessed through reason, not on the character of the author or any other citation.

A little conspiratorial, but many of the dots shall connect if any reasonable man finds himself questioning the traditional dictates of Christianity as a whole.
Sep 13, 2010 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Two Babylons gave additional information to my studies, and was very accurate in providing evidence of pagan rites mixed with Traditional Christianity.
William Dicks
Sep 03, 2011 William Dicks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, all-my-books
Another book on conspiracies and the like. Although I would like this book to be right about its assertions concerning the Roman Catholic church, it has now been shown that it is extremely inaccurate, and connections between "the two babylons" are actually strained.
Nov 14, 2011 Kerensa marked it as to-read
Ooo- this one will take a while to read.
Breakthru International
For anyone that is not satisfied with accepting what we are told is the truth but, likes to see the evidence historically and biblically this is the book for you. However, Alexander Hislop highlights church practices that do not have their root in the bible at all.

Extremely, challenging yet I believe necessary for the seeker of truth.
Todd Bryant

Not the easiest read to me. I have skipped around and read what interested me most. However, tons of good information.
David Gyles
It's ok for beginners, but for real biblical prophecy as it is meant to be understood I can think of no other person but the late great and ever so less known for outstandingly brilliant ability to teach biblical prophecy than my favorite Henry Gratten Guinness.
Aug 26, 2012 Andalee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great read. Dense at times.
Jul 21, 2016 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top notch work to expose error in our Christian thinking. I highly recommend this book
Interesting premises, but horrible research abounds throwing the conclusions into question. See
Edward Waverley

"This book made me sick at heart because the author goes places where I do not want to go but where I think I might be required to go. He makes the case that the Roman Catholic Church is the spiritual counterpart of Babylon. I suppose this is an old charge, but Hislop’s case is very convincing because the details he presents of the old Babylonian power structures and ethos so resemble the structures and ethos of the Roman Church that one can’t just dismiss
Jay D
Dec 16, 2013 Jay D rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laughable a-historical work. Nonsense
Jason Johnston
Mar 18, 2014 Jason Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the easiest book to read, very dry. But Hislop shows how ancient Babylonian religion crept into Christianity and created the Catholic Church, from nuns and monks to the Pope's crown and even the bogus deification of the Virgin Mary.
Apr 05, 2014 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carita Gensale
Jul 20, 2015 Carita Gensale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone who wants to know where some beliefs come from since they are not found in the Bible. Up to the reader to decide if the connection made is something to think about when a member of many of today's Christian denominations. Certainly the Catholic Church is under fire more than any other group.
Matt Carpenter
There are some good elements to this book but overall it is not to be commended. The history of Babylonian worship is good, but the way he ties it to Roman Catholic worship (every jot and tittle) is poor logic. Using his logic, almost any practice, religious or non-religious can be shown to have pagan origins and therefore should be discouraged. Some of his points (particularly on Mary worship) make sense, but generally he is too over-the-top.
Howard George Randolph
From the opening premise through the final chapter, the topical book "The Two Babylons" will take you on a virtual journey through dark and terrifying passages-chilled by the presence of a ancient evil. With each successive chapter the motivations and intricate methods of this evil is exposed to the light until one incontrovertible conclusion is established. The depth of investigation and intricate "knitting" together of the details are the result of Hislop's life's work. This is one of the most ...more
Jul 21, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "The Two Babylons", Bishop provided much valuable insight into the misleading teachings of Roman Catholicsm, but at the same time stupidly retained his trust in Sha'uwl of Tarsus. For that reason, I would not recommend this book to someone earnestly seeking the truth. Better would be to search for and read "Yada Yah" and "An Introduction to God".
Karen Graves
Interesting theory and lots of Bible history, but I wonder if the conclusions are a bit far-fetched
Fred Kohn
After becoming aware of some very strange anti-Catholic ideas floating around, I finally traced them back to this even stranger book. It's really sad that this virulently anti-Catholic and anti-Negro book still remains so influential. What was clear from the get go was that Hislop has never heard that correlation does not equal causality. This book is a collection of correlations between every conceivable pagan name or practice with the practice of Catholicism. The etymological stretches in some ...more
In a word: imaginative. For a more serious treatment of the same topic, read GH Pember's "Mystery Babylon the Great".
Timothy Coplin
Apr 07, 2015 Timothy Coplin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2015
Hislop has thoroughly researched his topic. Tough as it is, it is many times more fascinating. Backing his conclusions with both sacred and historical sources, Hislop makes a compelling argument for the identity of as described in the sacred text of Revelation. It's a source that this reader will have to reread time and again to completely follow. But, for the time being, I'm compelled to accept his conclusions based on his expertise.

An in-depth understanding of the world's religions and mythos
Jordan Fitzgerald
Very dry and hard to read. On the upside, I am amazed at how much this man knew during the timeframe he lived. At the time this came out, it would have made a lot of sense. But, many advances in technology have been made that just don't support this worldview (i.e. relativity and quantum mechanics). But, I do appreciate his sincerity. I believe he was the last great Christian apologist who tried to bridge the gap of post modernism that separates society from Christian theology.
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • The Genesis Flood: The Biblical Record and Its Scientific Implications
  • After The Flood: the early Post-Flood History of Europe
  • Vatican Council II: The Conciliar and Postconciliar Documents
  • The Seduction of Christianity
  • Dead Men's Secrets: Tantalising Hints of a Lost Super Race
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • Acts (The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • James the Brother of Jesus