Start by marking “Digger the Dinosaur (I Can Read!)” as Want to Read:
Digger the Dinosaur (I Can Read!)

Digger the Dinosaur (My First I Can Read)

From the publisher's website: Digger wants to go out and play, but he still hasn’t cleaned his room. The race is on to tidy up—and with Digger in a rush, things might get a little topsy-turvy!
Published January 31st 2012 by HarperCollins (first published December 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Digger the Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger the Dinosaur

Kat
Mar 17, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: Digger is too focused on playing to listen to his mom when she wants him to clean up.

Overall, not bad for a free Nook download. The art was polished and effective. The story and writing were extremely simplistic, but it is designed for young children just getting used to the idea of reading, so it's a good fit. The story uses some puns, too, as the young dinosaur mishears his mother and friend's instructions, which is good for beginning readers to get a sense of the sound of words as
Bridget
Mar 27, 2015 Bridget rated it really liked it
This book was just adorable.
Katie Fitzgerald
Dec 18, 2016 Katie Fitzgerald rated it did not like it
Digger wants to play, but Momosaur wants him to clean up first. She has specific instructions, but Digger keeps getting mixed up! It’s a good thing his friend Stego is there to help him figure out what needs to be put away, and to play with him when he’s finished.

This My First I Can Read book combines two things preschoolers love: dinosaurs and play dates. For that reason alone, it won’t have a hard time finding an audience. The storyline uses the silly humor that four- and five-year-olds find h
Terry
My kids (3 and 5) picked out this book from our collection. Dinosaur stories are always a big hit here, and they really liked it. Digger's misunderstanding of his mom and his friend really tickled their funny bone. The word play is great, and what parent wouldn't love a book about a kid cleaning his or her own room?

Pros: Silly and clever word play, cute characters, and sweet story help new readers AND parents, too.

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub. While you’re there, add a link
Brigid Keely
"Digger the Dinosaur," by Rebecca Kai Dotlich, is a very short cutely illustrated story about a little dinosaur who needs to tidy his room before he can go out to play with his friends.

"Digger the Dinosaur" is easy to read aloud, features a nice cadence and some fun rhymes, and holds up well to re-reads. The illustrations are unique and pleasant and work very well with the story. In the story, Digger is so focused on going out to play that he has difficulty listening to what he's told to do, and
Taylor Almquist
Mar 30, 2012 Taylor Almquist rated it it was amazing
Over all amazing book! I didn't know who I really was until I read this book. This book much inspiration I'm surprised you would be able to harness it in so few of pages. After reading this book it gave me the initiative to complete my life goals. I would encourage anyone human with a heart to read this book. If you want to find out what you are meant for in this world I would highly recommend that you read Digger the Dinosaur. Throughout my entire lifetime I've been looking for the one special ...more
Mar 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This story is about a little dinosaur who wants to go outside and play, but he needs to clean up his room first. He doesn't hear the directions correctly and is constantly putting the wrong items away like putting the cats in the closet instead of his hats. I love the use of rhyming words, and cute illustrations. It's fun for kids to try and figure out what Digger will mess up next.
Vim
Mar 12, 2012 Vim rated it it was ok
I saw this book in ibooks and I thought it will be interesting to read since I'm fond of children's books. Anyway,reading the title of the book you'll expect the story to have a digging scene or tunnel scene and the like but, nothing like that happened. Aside from the title I don't have any problem with this book I only thought that I prefer the other installments of the "I can read" series.
Mary
This is the story of a young dinosaur who doesn't listen very well. He hears words that rhyme with the words that his mother and friend say to him instead of the words they actually say! A great early reader book because it shows kids that it's ok to make mistakes and that you can fix things when mistakes happen.
Rosa Cline
Nov 09, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a "My First Shared Reading" storybook. The text is simple and repeatative, and many rhyming similar words. It also teaches children to 'listen' as the little dinosaur thinks he is listening but he's really not and he does the opposite of what he actually should.
Kevyn
Jul 26, 2012 Kevyn rated it did not like it
I had to read this book to Cooper. It was kind of annoying how they kept making mistakes then the mom coming in to fix it! Exaple....... (put the HATS away)then they put the CATS away instead. But Cooper enjoyed it and thats what matters!:)
Maggie
Cute plot for an early reader. Lots of work can be done with getting to an unknown word through a known word (If you know___ you can read___)
Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
Aw Digger, a cute little dinosaur. Easy text and my little one is obsessed with dinosaurs right now. Simple language, which is pretty much what we are looking for with these books.
Taisha
Taisha rated it it was ok
May 12, 2012
Ariadne
Ariadne rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2015
Tyler Wilson
Tyler Wilson rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
Lena Time
Lena Time rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Carol Anderson
Carol Anderson rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Rachel
Review to follow soon.
Susanne
Susanne rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Shalana
Shalana rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Cailyn Hua
Cailyn Hua rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Jennifer Woodford
Jennifer Woodford rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Micah B
Micah B rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rebecca is a poet and picture book author of such titles as What is Science? (a 2006 Subaru SB&F prize finalist), and Lemonade Sun (an American Booksellers "Pick of the Lists"). Her work is featured widely in poetry anthologies and textbooks. Rebecca promotes children's poetry, giving presentations and workshops to students, teachers, librarians and writers. She lives in Indiana.
More about Rebecca Kai Dotlich...

My First I Can Read (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Little Critter: Just a Teacher's Pet
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Biscuit Goes Camping (My First I Can Read!)
  • Pete the Cat: Three Groovy Books Collection: Pete's Big Lunch, Pete at the Beach, A Pet for Pete (My First I Can Read)
  • Digger the Dinosaur 4-Book Collection: Digger the Dinosaur, The Cake Mistake, The Play Day, The Wrong Song (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Huff and Puff Have Too Much Stuff!
  • Pete the Cat's Super Cool Reading Collection (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete (My First I Can Read)