Start by marking “My Father's Ghost” as Want to Read:
My Father's Ghost

My Father's Ghost

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"My Father's Ghost" is a wise woman's look at a "failed" father-daughter relationship--how it hurt, how it healed, and how, ultimately and in unexpected ways, the problem father became the daughter's strength. My Father's Ghost will be an inspiration to anyone who is dealing with a parent's aging or approaching death, and fans of this splended writer will find her at her b ...more
Published September 30th 2002 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about My Father's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father's Ghost

Sull
Dec 16, 2014 Sull rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sull by: Book sale find
WHAT a book this was! When the author invited her estranged, mysterious father to move across the country to live with her and her husband, she had no idea that he'd say yes, or what the reality would be once he arrived with his few art supplies (he had been an artist) and the cache of 40 volumes of diary he'd kept for most of his adult life, the "history" his daughter wasn't sure she could face but did.

But mostly it's a story of all those years he lived with her (17!). As he and her mother had
Patricia
When Suzy McKee Charnas was eight years-old her father, Robin McKee, left her, her mother and sister to dedicate his life to being an artist. He was spectacularly unsuccessful. Contact with his children was intermittent but never broken. Several years later realizing that Robin was living a meager existence in Manhatten and had problems caring for himself as he entered old age, Charnas invites him to live with her and her husband in New Mexico. Surprisingly he accepts.
Charnas writes eloquently a
Abby
A very honest and often funny account of being the grown-up child of an aging stranger-dad. I like the elderly; I found this book on a shelf at work; I now like my job.
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 29, 2014
Squeasel
Squeasel marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Teddie
Teddie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2011
Nannie Bittinger
Nannie Bittinger marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2011
Edward
Edward added it
Dec 28, 2010
Simba
Simba marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2010
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2009
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2009
Swan
Swan added it
Feb 17, 2008
Suzy McKee Charnas was born and educated in New York City, attending Barnard College as an Economic History major (1961) and, after a two-year stint in Nigeria with the Peace Corps, New York University (MAT, 1965). She taught at the New Lincoln School in New York until Flower Fifth Avenue Hospital hired her away as a curriculum consultant for their high school drug-abuse treatment program. In 1969 ...more
More about Suzy McKee Charnas...
The Vampire Tapestry Walk to the End of the World Motherlines (Holdfast Chronicles, #2) The Slave and The Free: Books 1 and 2 of 'The Holdfast Chronicles': 'Walk to the End of the World' and 'Motherlines' The Furies (The Holdfast Chronicles, #3)