Everyday Missions: How Ordinary People Can Change the World

Everyday Missions: How Ordinary People Can Change the World

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews
It's not every day that you get a visit from God. Burning bushes, ladders to heaven, chariots of fire and all that--we look for those stories in the Bible, and we look for them in our lives. When it comes to something as important as what we do with our lives, we think, maybe God owes us a big event.But, as Leroy Barber has learned through his work in inner cities and with...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 159 pages
Published February 14th 2012 by InterVarsity Press

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Missions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Missions

James
There are few voices that have been so prophetic and formative in my own life as that of Leroy Barber. About eight years ago my wife and I did a program called Mission Year in Atlanta and Leroy was our director (Mission Year is a one year long urban mission program which seeks to incarnate the love of God in an inner city neighborhood). Leroy was someone full of energy, enthusiasm, wisdom and challenging insights. During my time in Atlanta I had to face parts of myself and had to wrestle with wa...more
Bob
This is an engaging, easy read on an important theme in missions books: ordinary people living faithful lives following Christ will find God working in extraordinary ways through their lives. Barber weaves biblical, first, and third person narratives together to illustrate this point. Barber particularly has some challenging things to say about money and time.

I personally think David Platt's Radical and John Stott's The Radical Disciple explore the theme of this book in a much more substantive w...more
Katelyn Irons
Do you ever find yourself in a rut? Or find yourself wondering what God can do with your "averageness"? The solution is to stop focusing on yourself and start focusing on loving and serving those around you. This book describes ways in which that shift can be made via service, ministry, Bible studies, witnessing, tithing, teaching, and praying.

Barber, President of Mission Year, a young adult inner-city ministry, writes in a down-to-earth way, using anecdotes and other people's stories to weave...more
Susan Norris
I enjoyed Everyday Missions. It resonated with my heart for being a missionary wherever you are planted. God calls us to be His witnesses at home and abroad. There's not an option of one or the other. As Christ followers, we're called to both. Barber does a great job of drawing that out. Good book for all.
Sary Fairchild
Definitely recommend to anyone in their teens/early twenties and are thinking of doing a few years of mission work. The author is one of the founders of Mission Year, a great program, and you get to hear some experiences from urban US missionaries in the program.
Ashleigh
Excellent, simple breakdown of how to live with a "kingdom imagination." I especially appreciated the chapter on money and Leroy's focus on creativity instead of practicality.
Jamie
Not my favorite book on the topic but nonetheless encouraging to start living missionally today. I liked barber's practical advice and real stories he uses throughout.
Sam
I reviewed this for the Englewood Review of Books.
Check it out here: http://erb.kingdomnow.org/leroy-barbe...
Bro
It was a good book and worth a read. Of course I don't follow all his ideas or opinions, but I think it is worth the time to read.
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Julia Duncan
Julia Duncan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Candice Carr
Candice Carr marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Megan Connelly
Megan Connelly marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
New Neighbor: An invitation to join beloved community Red, Brown, Yellow, Black, White: Who's More Precious In God's Sight?: A call for diversity in Christian missions and ministry Red, Brown, Yellow, Black, White?who's More Precious in God's Sight?: A Call for Diversity in Christian Missions and Ministry New Neighbor: An invitation to join beloved community