Start by marking “Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching” as Want to Read:
Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching

Rat Catching: Studies in the art of rat catching

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An artistic reworking of an 1896 novel entitled Studies in the Art of Rat-Catching.
Hardcover, second
Published 2011 by Volcanic Eruptions (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rat Catching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rat Catching

Winter Branch
Jun 13, 2007 Winter Branch rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ????????????????????
Shelves: fiction
It is books like this that make me happy that I'm going back over my book collection to review them for this site.

I received Crispin Hellion Glover's (yes, its the same guy you know and love from the movies) book Rat Catching as a gift two Christmases ago. To be honest, this really isn't a novel, but a work of art. Glover has contorted and manipulated a book about rats into something twisted and strange. He adds drawings and images of things like plague victims and rabbits and lambs (even a pla
Sonky
Bought the book at the Tower Theater in Salt Lake City when Crispin appeared there to perform the book on stage using a slide show and holding a long wooden pointer.

We also watched Rueben and Ed.

When I met him on that occasion, Mr Glover came across to me as a warm, considerate, and intelligent person--very unlike any of his stage personae--but then, who can tell when an accomplished actor is in character?

Unfortunately, I lost the book years ago along with many other prized possessions. Thank yo
Teree
Dec 12, 2007 Teree rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Crispin Glover
Shelves: favourites
I purchased autographed copies of his books when I was a teenager. They are worth owning for the imagery, prose and exquisite binding, but mostly because Crispin Glover is a genius. We saw him last year at the Castro Theater and met him afterward. We had a nice thorough conversation with him which was guided mostly by HIM asking US questions. Love him.
Curtis Glenn Heath
I believe this is actually another book about rodent extermination that Crispin simply edited with white-out, rewriting some of the sentences and turning it into a psuedo-narrative. I don't know how to describe it... some might say "genius." I'm still on the fence... but it IS very enjoyable!
Patrick
Fun and disturbing. I like his performance of segments of the book on The Problem Does Not Equal the Solution, the Solution Equals Let It Be. The Clean poem is excellent.
Virginia
creation by removal. this is the double negative of books.
Mariel
Mar 23, 2011 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crispin glover fans
Recommended to Mariel by: my brother
All Crispin Glover fans should have this.

My other oldest goodreads review! I'm pretty sure I was quoting what my brother said when gifting me this book. I wasn't that big of a Crispin Glover fan back then. I became one after reading this bizarre book. It's not hard to imagine Glover bending over the pages, furiously scribbling doodles of rats and muttering to himself. That's kinda endearing to me. People who would smile over something like that would like this, I think. And my brother. I like th
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Crispin Hellion Glover's Rat Catching
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 15, 2012

Warning to the reader of this review: all 3 of my reviews of Glover's bks begin w/ the same contextualization. Otherwise, they aren't the same review.

I'm not very familiar w/ Crispin Hellion Glover's work. I've heard that he has a bit of a 'cult' following, I've heard that he was in some, by my standards, big budget films as an actor. I've seen a few of them: Back to the Future, River's Edge, The P
Ben
At turns funny, oblique, or flat-out disturbing. A quick "read," and above all, interesting. If Glover hasn't brought his live show and movie tour through your town, this is the next best thing.
Emily Niles
Mar 08, 2014 Emily Niles marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-now
Been wanting this book forevah!!! It was out of print at one time.... I'll have to search again.
He is so damn eccentric indeed
Die Booth
This isn't so much a book as a piece of art. There's no linear 'story' to it, other than what you interpret for yourself. Clever, original, funny, creepy and fascinating - nothing has inspired me more than this in a long time. I won't say how it was made or what it looks like, just - read it. To over-analyse I think would spoil it. It's just a desirable, beautiful little book... ALMOST.
Jason
Twisted art book. Great visual stuff...
Marcc
Inspired me to become president.
Max
Super freaky book.
Tiffany King
Tiffany King marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Olivia Buzzacco
Olivia Buzzacco marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Dan Eggs
Dan Eggs marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Dewi
Dewi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Lauren Simper
Lauren Simper marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
xGvJx
xGvJx marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Papibooks
Papibooks marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Graces
Graces added it
Jan 24, 2015
Andra Dediu
Andra Dediu marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
  • Capacity
  • her other mouths
  • Witkin
  • We Are All Good If They Try Hard Enough
  • The Sadness of Sex
Crispin Hellion Glover is primarily known as a film actor, but is also a painter, filmmaker, author, musician, and collector and archivist of esoterica. Glover is known for portraying eccentric people on screen, such as George McFly in Back to the Future, Layne in River's Edge, the "Creepy Thin Man" in the big screen adaptation of Charlie's Angels and Willard Stiles in Willard. In the early 2000s, ...more
More about Crispin Hellion Glover...
Oak-Mot Concrete Inspection: A Family Story Where a Mother is Looking for Something and Finds It What it is, and How it is Done Apocalypse Culture II