Start by marking “Vild Magi (De odödliga #1)” as Want to Read:
Vild Magi (De odödliga #1)

Vild Magi (The Immortals #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  45,586 ratings  ·  1,139 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Daine has always had a knack with animals, but it's not until she's forced to leave home that she realizes it's more than a knack -- it's magic. With this wild magic, not only can Daine speak to animals, but also she can make them obey her. Daine takes a job handling horses for the Queen's Riders, where she meets the master mage Numair and becomes his stu ...more
Published 2003 by Bonnier Carlsen Bokförlag (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Vild Magi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vild Magi

I literally don't remember when I read my first Tamora Pierce book. All I can tell you is that it was Alanna: The First Adventure and it was probably an audiobook that my parents checked out for one of our infinite family road trips. I can't have been much older than, say, third grade at a stretch. After that first one, needless to say, I was addicted. (Yes, I read Lioness Rampant in elementary school. It was... educational. Then again, I was already into Pern by then, so...)

I also don't remembe
Aug 20, 2011 Catie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Becca
Oh, these books are so lovely. These are like fairy tales for intelligent, empowered girls. The problems are black and white, the villains have simple motives, and the little girls are the heroes. I love every minute. And I will snatch these up for my daughters and say thank you very much.

These books are like middle grade or even elementary age fiction that’s been labeled YA, because they have mature relationships. And by mature relationships I mean young women choosing to be intimate with partn
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
I hopped into this book hoping I would not be confused out of my mind. I have heard of her Tamora Pierce's other Tortall books, especially the enormously popular ones about Alanna, but the premise of those books didn't interest me. I hate to admit it, and this is terrible backwards of me, but books about cross-dressing, disguised characters do not interest me. This applies to manga as well; don't even get me started on how much I hated HanaKimi. This series about a young girl with animal magic s ...more
After a short break, I've returned to Tortall, and guys, it's great to be back. I decided to resume my long-overdue Tamora Pierce education for two reasons: first, the Immortals quartet was completely new to me (as a kid, I had a passing familiarity with the Alanna, Kel, and Aly series, having read a few chapters of each before abandoning them); and also I found out that my sister has all four of the books in one volume, so I stole it from her. Sorry, borrowed.

The first book takes place about te
I wish this book would have been around when I was about 11, I know it would have been one of my favorites. As it is, I wish I knew a 11-13 year old girl who loves to read so I could buy this for her. If anyone knows of one and will let me adopt her for about 15-20 minutes tops, let me know! :)

One thing I like to do with books is going into them completely blind with little to no idea what it is about. Tabula rasa style. I often don’t even read the back of the book. Some of the time this “tabula
So. I've read up to page 216 now and there isn't really anything that urges me to read on. I have heard so many good things about this book and Tamora Pierce's books in general come highly recommended by some of my Goodreads friends. But I fear that if I haven't found anything that makes me want to go on up until now, I probably won't find it in the next 150 pages either.

Please don't understand this as a discouragement to give Pierce's books a try - this is in no way a bad book, it's just not f
Arielle Walker
If you have read my other reviews, you will know that I am a huge Tamora Pierce fan, (though I am now perhaps a little older than her target demographic). However, despite this I am not blinded to the faults in her writing, something which I discovered in the disappointing recent release "Melting Stones"So trust me, The fact that I've given this book 5 stars is because I believe it to be truly deserving of each and every one of them.

I grew up on a diet of richly rendered fantasy books, which inc
R &
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for

Veralidaine Sarrasri--Daine to everyone who knows her--is thirteen years old, orphaned, and without a home. Her amazing rapport with animals gets her a job with a horsemaster named Onua, and the two women become fast companions during their arduous journey from Daine's homeland of Galla to the kingdom of Tortall, where they are to deliver their equine charges to the service of the Queen's Riders.

Along the way, Daine's gift for communicating with an
This was, in many ways, a book that stole my readers virginity.

I picked this up in the school library when I was eleven years old, ten years ago. The cover, matching the one I now own, was a spider with a mans head, and in no way appealed to me. But the first chapter, titled 'A girl with a pony' drew me in immediately. Thank God for my horse obsession, or I'd never have discovered these books, and this wonderful author.

It was my first fantasy book. It was my first book not directly related to ho
I read these all the time when I was a young teen---to the point where apparently I remember where all the italics were, even though my e-book didn't display the formatting properly.

This is one of those books that's forever lost to you if you don't first read it before age 14. The three star review is a compromise between my younger self (who would have given it 4 1/2) and my present self (who wants to give it a 1 1/2) in acknowledgement that I'm no longer the target audience.

First, Pierce's boo
I read this aaaaages ago but we just reread it for roommate reading time. Jasmine and I were SUPER stoked to introduce Andre to the world of Tamora Pierce.

"I dreamed I was a badger and woke up covered in bats! Also, we're being attacked."
"... can I hold one?!"

We had a great deal of fun making up a running commentary as we read.
"I want her to come live with me!" "Inappropriate, Numair!" "There would be no room for inappropriate, she brings home DRAGONS!"

It's just so fun! And so excellent! And so
Sep 07, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Mercedes Lackey
Shelves: fantasy, ya
After raiders destroy her happy village, a young peasant girl named Daine joins up with the Queen's Own hostler. They travel to Tortall, having dangerous adventures along the way. Once in Tortall, Daine discovers she has Wild Magic, which enables her to communicate and control all animals. Despite the many attacks by monsters, this book lacks any narrative tension, probably because I actively dislike Daine.
Wild Magic begins the second quartet featuring the land of Tortall. Although there are some familiar names in this novel - cameos from the Alanna quartet, such as Alanna herself, Jonathan and Thayet, George - a newcomer to the Tortall world could start here with absolutely no problems.

The level of reading is eight plus, I'd say. There are occasional moments of violence, as you'd expect from events in a feudal country that is beginning to descend into war, but nothing that I'd be worried about a
Nada Sobhi
Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce is the first installment in The Immortals series. The story focuses on thirteen-year-old Daine, who has ‘a knack with animals’. She speaks to them with their mind.

With, her home destroyed and her family – mother and grandfather – killed, Daine leaves with her pony, Cloud, to find work and a place to escape those who killed her family.

She becomes Onua’s assistant and helps drive ponies and horses to Tortall (the capital of the Kingdom). On the road, the two women mee
This is, by far, my very favorite series of Tamora Pierce's, and I think this is my fifth time reading through it. They're totally comfort books to me. I did read the Song of the Lioness series first, but I don't think you'd really have to in order to understand and enjoy this one, though that series is definitely good background reading for this one, and introduces several of the characters and concepts that show up here. It's the main characters in THIS series, Daine and Numair, that I really ...more
Beautiful, enchanting, magical, wonderful and endearing.

I have finally found a book to call it mine.
Yes, I have read fair amout of young adult books that I really enjoyed and loved but nothing has touched me so close to my heart than this book.

I knew I would like it before I read it, considering it was about a girl with power to convince, heal and converse with animals. As a little girl, I'd dream of such 'power'. There is no super hero(heroine) in this world I'd rather be!
I savored every pa
I wasn't sure if I'd like this new series as much as the Alanna series but after the first few pages I did!!! Daine is a very different character but equally wonderful and I love Numair's flirty sarcasm. The animals reminded me of Redwall even though it's not quite the same but I liked all of them and seeing Daine interact. But let's be real, the best part? SEEING OLD BELOVED CHARACTERS EEEEEEEEEE. Every time one of them popped on the page (no spoilers from me) I fell more in love. I love seeing ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (10) times

Soooo this was the first book I ever read by Tamora Pierce. It was great. Incredibly great. I read it over and over and over again. I remember reading the new books in the series as they came out and they were sooooo good. Then I read Alanna, then I remember being enraged when Sandry's book came out and it was in a different universe, but I fell in love with those ones as much as I loved these ones. Tamora Pierce is awesome!!! Just sayin'~~~~~
Crystal Starr Light
“If you look hard and long, you can find us. If you listen hard and long, you can hear any of us, call any of us that you wish.”

Daine is a 13 year old orphan when Onua, a civilian horse keeper for the Queen's Riders, finds her and hires her as an assistant. The pair travel to Tortall and meet up with Alanna the Lioness and Numair along with evil Stormwings. What is different about Daine and why are the Stormwings in Tortall?

A long time ago, I read "The Woman Who Rode Like a Man", mostly because
Daine has always been good with animals. So, when she's on the run from her village and she meets a woman who needs help transporting a herde of ponies, Daine is happy to be of service. While on her journey, she realizes that the landscape of her world is changing. Creatures of old that shouldn't exist in her realm are appearing and spreading terror, and Daine is making enemies fast. She also discovers that her way with animals is more than just good intuition; she is blessed with wild magic, an ...more
Emma Michaels
After I finished the 'Song of the Lioness Quartet' the first time, I was anxious to read more about Tortall. At first I couldn't stop thinking 'But it isn't Alanna' for all of about a few pages before I was in love with Daine's story. She is someone who you can really relate to. She has such a sad background story that I won’t spoil but she is someone who you honestly feel with and her abilities only enhance the way that you grow to love her character. She is someone who has been through hard ti ...more
Review originally posted on Queen Ella Bee Reads as part of PierceFest.

Daine. DAINE. Girl is my personal hero. I mean, she's this young girl whose whole world is completely destroyed by bandits, then she somehow pulls herself together and goes out to rebuild. That's when she meets Onua, who needs the help of someone who can help her wrangle ponies. So Daine, Onua and all of the animals begin the trek back to Tortall, where, UNSURPRISINGLY, the shenanigans begin.

What do these shenanigans entail?
Looking for a feel-good fiction piece that doesn't suck? Snatch it up. It's classic fantasy in many ways and has some of the silliness of the genre: made up names, a manufactured religion, all the magic creatures of history in one place together etc. But it's fun and not astounding but solid and happy and warm.

I love that although she makes up a religion she doesn't spend pages wading through explaining it, it just is and we discover some bits of it organically and still wonder about a lot of i
My son has had this book for awhile and has told me to read it several times. I never bothered because I'm through my fantasy fiction stage and have heard Tamora Pierce described a feminist author. I've found that "feminist author" seems to translate to pointless sex scenes. However, Joe doesn't like that kind of thing and liked this one. Also, I was stuck at home due to an injury, my TV crapped out so I couldn't watch movies, and once the drugs kept me from any heavy reading so I decided to giv ...more
This was a quick, easy read, but there's really nothing special or outstanding about it. I think it kind of sets up the character of Daine, but it seemed like it moved from one thing to another, introducing new ideas a little too quickly. I didn't like it quite as well as the Alanna series.

Daine is a likable enough character, and there are some returning characters from the Alanna series. There are also a few new ones as well, but no one that grabbed me, and although I liked the end of this stor
Book Elf
This is my first read of Tamora Pierce's writing and it didn't let me down. I like the flow of the story though it was not very action-packed within 3/4s of the book but I enjoyed it all the same. I was curious enough of the protagonist's past and secrets that led me to read on.

It was easy to follow even if the instructions were for drawing the wild magic and mastering it. The characters were all interesting. I really wanted to read the Lioness Quartet and was surprised to see Alanna in this bo
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Alanna always has a place in my heart, being the first Tammy series I read, but Daine is especially close because of her affinity with animals. I haven't read this series in close to ten years, and the only thing I could remember from that first read was that I didn't like Daine as much as Alanna or Kel -- and now that I'm back to reading her, I'd love to throttle my 15-year-old self and say WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? This girl is literally perfect. I don't know that there's anything cuter ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
This and my other reviews can be found at

After the death of her family, 13 year old Daine get a job as assistant to Onya, Horse Mistress of the Queen’s Riders, as she has a talent with animals. However, when she rescues a hawk from Stormwings, a type of immortal, she discovers she has a type of magic which could affect all of Tortall. This is one of my favourite fantasy series, as I love how absorbing the story is and how brilliant the characters are. I wi
Apr 14, 2012 Sophie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin McKinley fans
Aw, I liked this book a lot. I think Pierce's writing has improved somewhat over the early Alanna books. Not that it was bad before, but this is just delightful.

The magic, especially, was great in this book. I loved getting to talk to the different kinds of animals and see how they think. Whales are hardcore pacifists, apparently. (view spoiler)

I love the character of Daine and I hope the other books in this series are ab
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #2)
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
  • Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • Half-Human
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2)

“Does your ma know you're this silly?" she demanded tartly.
He nodded, comically sad. "The few gray hairs she has on her head are my doing. But" — with an exaggerated change of mood — "I send her plenty of money, so she can pay to have them dyed!"
"I hope she beat you as a child," Onua grumbled.”
“Does anyone in this land act like they're supposed to?” 177 likes