Start by marking “Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken” as Want to Read:
Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken

Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Inspired by Jane Austen's Emma, Buddhism, and the unique charm of Hoboken, NJ, Madeline explores spiritual and material aspirations, and ultimately finds harmony between the two.

It's Hoboken, New Jersey, 1987. The Bongos are breaking up, the Maxwell House factory fills the air with the scent of coffee, and favorite son Frank Sinatra still eats calamari at Leo's Grandevous.
Paperback, Second edition (revised), 488 pages
Published January 20th 2012 by iUniverse (first published January 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline

Ann
Another great book from Florence Wetzel. She creates characters so well. Funny and moving.
Kasey Jueds
One of those books I'd actually like to live inside, rather than just read. I wanted Madeline, the heroine, to be my friend. She's so incredibly likeable: smart, thoughtful, endearing, brave, true. And one of the best things, to me, about her story, is that it is not just a love story or the story of a spiritual search, it is both. It's the only novel I can think of that treats both of these subjects with such depth and sensitivity. Florence Wetzel writes about spirituality in a way that's groun ...more
Laurel Kallenbach
"Madeline" is a wonderful romance about an ebullient and sometimes naively misguided heroine. I really enjoyed it and especially loved the Bella-Robert-Madeline family trio, with neighbor Michael as part of it. The characters all felt real to me and are carefully written. The character of Alison was really great too; I will never forget that used-teabag bit (you have to read about it to believe it!). This one small action illustrates much about Alison and her life.

And I loved the whole 1980s fla
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Aida_I
Aida_I marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2012
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2012
Lamya
Lamya marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012
Bernabe Cardenas
Bernabe Cardenas marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Sarita Johnston
Sarita Johnston marked it as to-read
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Ellemae
Ellemae marked it as to-read
Betty Conrad
Betty Conrad marked it as to-read
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Tahmina
Tahmina marked it as to-read
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Tracy
Tracy added it
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Karen French
Karen French marked it as to-read
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Camilla Guimaraes
Camilla Guimaraes marked it as to-read
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
jgyweniverel
jgyweniverel marked it as to-read
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Florence Wetzel is the author of Madeline: A Novel of Love, Buddhism, and Hoboken, as well as Mrs. Papadakis and Aspasia, two novels about expatriates living in Crete. In addition, she wrote the jazz mystery Dashiki, an adult whodunit in the spirit of Nancy Drew.

She also cowrote Perry Robinson: The Traveler, the autobiography of the legendary jazz clarinetist, and a book of poems and memoir tales
More about Florence Wetzel...
Dashiki Perry Robinson: The Traveler Elvis in the Morning: Poems and Tales Holy Denver Mrs. Papadakis and Aspasia: Two Novels