Start by marking “L'Ange Impudique” as Want to Read:
L'Ange Impudique

L'Ange Impudique (Brazen #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  375 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Profitant de la mode des bals costumés qui fait fureur à Londres, une inconnue masquée se prête aux fantasmes dépravés des gentlemen de la haute société dans le seul but de les cambrioler ! Qui est celle que l'on a surnommée l'"Ange impudique" ? Cette question brûle toutes les lèvres. Une seule certitude : derrière le loup de velours noir se dissimule une beauté exceptionn ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages
Published February 8th 2000 by J'ai lu (first published July 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about L'Ange Impudique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'Ange Impudique

Books&Friends
Both Giles and Sophia are spies and in this story often cross the channel between England and France during the French Revolution. Well lets say, given the difficulties of traveling at that time,made this part of the story highly unrealistic. Basically the revolution is wallpaper to this character driven book. The true gritty details of that time were glossed over and the language was modernistic. Probably not for those who like authentic historical novels.
BUT when the author offered occasional
Ruth ☆☽
I keep picking up these romances, in the hope of finding an author that comes somewhere close to Georgette Heyer... I'll just have to continue trying. I managed to get a quarter of the way through this before relegating it to the discard pile; but perhaps if you're fond of bodice rippers this book might be to your taste.
Barbara
May 03, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story set in the French Revolution era when Fouche and Rospierre were in power. Sophia is from an aristocratic family who are going to Madame Guillotine any day. Giles is a British agent seeking to find out who betrayed another agent, Webb. Little does he know that his betrothed (arranged by his father before his death) is Sophia. Meanwhile she is stealing from English aristocrats to raise enough money to free her family. It is a dagerous path for her-a long ago lover complicates everythin ...more
Lynne Tull
A trilogy of suspense...Brazen Angel was a little too brazen for me. This story takes place during the French Revolution and involves a lot of daring rescues. Since this is a 'Romance' novel, I knew all would end well. It was a complete fantasy. I could never convince myself that the heroine could have been so 'brazen' during that time period of history. Hoping for something better in the next book "Brazen Heiress"...which takes place in Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great. hmmmm?
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 06, 2014 Maggie Hesseling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love a good spy novel. With lots of intrigue and terror. In probably one of the scariest moments of French history, this novel uses the back drop to show how fleeting life is, and how important love is in these circumstances. The Brazen Angel, though a thief, becomes heroic- a robin hood figure, which creates a tempting and diverting read. Each page brings a new smile.
Doreen
This book carries you along. After you've finished it, you might think that there are one or two flaws in the plot; nevertheless, and in spite of sometimes getting a bit cross with the heroine for never confiding in the hero, it's a good read, and I always make extra allowances for first published books by an author I like.
Manvir
Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revoluti
Ladyvixen
Apr 12, 2012 Ladyvixen rated it it was amazing
J'ai trouvé cette histoire superbement bien écrite et émouvante.
Caroline
May 06, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another established author who escaped my notice until I read two or three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. I decided to start with her debut novel, published nearly 15 years ago.

The awards Brazen Angel garnered were well deserved. An intricately crafted and carefully paced romantic adventure set against the background of the French Revolution. A talented government agent is pitted against a high-class female thief known as the Brazen Angel, who preys on wealthy aristocrats at masked ba
Rox
Jun 02, 2015 Rox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have huge expectations about this book since it was widely praised for Boyle's debut novel. However, the drama surrounding their romance fell short and repetitive like it's trying to put some real historical facts instead of "wallpaper history" but in the process, the added conflicts didn't blend well with the romance.
Linda
hmm... I was really excited about this but felt disappointed by the end. I love seduction and secret identities and should've loved this -- it did start out strong -- but I felt like much of the excitement fizzled out by the end. too bad.
Lily Callahan
Jan 05, 2016 Lily Callahan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I adore Elizabeth Boyle but this was not one of my favorites of hers. Liked the grit of the heroine trying to save her family from the French but the hero was irritatingly stubborn repeatedly. The rhythm of the story felt off occasionally, making it feel like an early work, but well worth reading to see a great author developing her chops.
Michele Lacroix
I haven't read Elizabeth Boyle in a long time and forgot how much I really enjoyed her.
Tory Michaels
Being an Elizabeth Boyle fan, I dove into this book with a great deal enthusiasm, though I did know it was her first (I learned about it through her newsletter). It was a bit tame, though I have to say I loved it being set during the French Revolution, rather than the more traditional Regency period. The characters were great and I have to say I'm looking forward to reading the second book, with Sophia's sister Lily and Webb (both minor characters from Brazen Angel).
Stacey Howell
Aug 30, 2014 Stacey Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Cherie
Dec 27, 2013 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is an exciting story. Too much for me. I don't tend to like the French Revolution as it was too violent so the suspense was more than I bargained for. That being said, it was a good story and I liked the back and forth between Giles and Sophia. Once he knew exactly who she was the tone changed as he became even more possessive and protective.

I would love to read Webb's story which is next but will pass.
Linda Block
May 17, 2012 Linda Block rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boyle-elizabeth
Valeri29 McConnell
I liked this one better than the second one. Still, it wasn't my favorite romance novel ever. Once the story moved to Revolutionary France, I lost a lot of interest.
Leslie
Sep 18, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a good while. I totally loved the characters. I look forward to reading the other two in this trilogy.
adoree
Feb 25, 2012 adoree rated it liked it
Une belle régence avec de beaux héros. Une petite intrigue pas mal ficelée. Bref, un bon moment de lecture.
Melissa Vasquez
Mar 01, 2012 Melissa Vasquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not get disappointed. Loved the story. Elizabeth Boyle knows how to hook a reader and keep them hooked.
Gerri
Oct 20, 2013 Gerri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book. But will eventually read the other.
Kathy
I think I"ve read this before didn't finish the 2nd time
Jewel
Aug 20, 2012 Jewel marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Entire trilogy for 6.99 on kindle?
angie
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • Master of My Dreams (Heroes of the Sea, #1)
  • Longing
  • The Earl's Scandalous Wife (Marriage by Scandal Book 4)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • A Midsummer's Magic
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • Desire Never Dies (Lady Spies, #2)
  • Shadow Dance
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Brazen (3 books)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)