Start by marking “The Servant Problem” as Want to Read:
The Servant Problem

The Servant Problem

Selling a whole town, and doing it inconspicuously, can be a little difficult … either giving it away freely, or in a more normal sense of “selling”. People don't quite believe it…
Science Fiction
Play Duration: 00:59:52
Public Domain stories from Project Gutenberg, that are read by volunteers.
First published in I“Analog Science Fact Science Fiction”

Free download from Libr
Audiobook, MP3
Published October 11th 2009 by LibriVox.org (first published November 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant Problem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant Problem

David B
Jun 16, 2015 David B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A real estate agent is contacted by a lovely woman to sell every property in an abandoned town. He is intrigued by both her and the mystery of the town. And then there is the dog…

A nice set up is squandered and the twist at the end is just plain silly. There is some good writing however. It makes me think that I may have just picked the wrong story to introduce myself to the work of Robert F. Young.

D.M. Dutcher
It's not one of his best, yet the interesting themes deserve a novel.

A real estate agent is invited to a far-away town to do some business. He thinks he is there to appraise a house or two, but to his shock, he soon finds out the sole resident is demanding him to sell the entire town, under some very odd conditions. What is her secret?

It's fairly clumsy for Young, and lacks the elegance of his best work. But the idea is very interesting, and I think suffers from the short length. If it were exte
Dione Basseri
An okay story, and in the public domain, so you've not much to lose but your time.

An appraiser comes to a somewhat unsettling town, ready to give a value for the upcoming mass sale. Why is everyone selling? And why does everyone seem so terribly attached to their dogs?

I was expecting perhaps some horror here, but it's actually a fairly cute piece. And, as said, public domain, so you can find it not only in print, but recorded for free. I listened to the version by Protecting Project Pulp.
Karl Smithe
Jun 03, 2012 Karl Smithe rated it it was amazing
This is a really cool short story which I can only describe as "charming". I could have read Robert F. Young and may have read one of his stories back in the old days but I really do not recall ever having heard of him.

This story is curiously similar to Cat and Mouse by Ralph Williams, which was nominated for a Hugo, but this story is better. It is just a different type of tale and not driven by excitement. The science discussion is better also.
Ralph McEwen
Feb 14, 2012 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it
A interesting short story, with with a twist at the end..
The story is told in a narrative and conversational style.

The narrator is well spoken, his voice is clear and easy to listen to.
The recording good is clean with out any background noises. There plenty of volume. The editing is seamless.
Alva
Alva marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
Gavin Histen
Gavin Histen rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Sokhom
Sokhom rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Robert Zimmermann
Robert Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Sudha Hariharan
Sudha Hariharan rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Crich70
Crich70 marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Keith Stone
Keith Stone marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
James Skidmore
James Skidmore marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jun 06, 2014
Phaedrav
Phaedrav rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013