Spirit

Spirit

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  10 reviews
It’s hate at first sight when Grant McDowell meets coworker Tristan Wetherby-Hyde. Working-class Grant fought his way up in the world and into a position at Spirit Advertising, and he can’t help but think that Tristan, son of the agency’s homophobic CEO, had everything handed to him on a silver platter.

But their differences aren’t enough to keep their mutual lust in check,...more
Published March 7th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

Mandy*reads obsessively*
Grant hates the boss's son Tristan, considers him arrogant and feels looked down upon since he is from the "wrong" side of the tracks.
Tristan knows Grant doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual, and Tristan's father is (of course a homophobic asshat) a powerful force in his life.
But there is instant lust between them. The sex was strange, aggressive and angry.
Fortunately they both grow a bit, and the relationship moves into something better.
Enny
I enjoyed this enemies-to-lovers so much that for once I didn't even mind that it's written in present tense.
Guilty Pleasures
Charnel's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

3.5 Stars

Spirit was really hard for me to get into at first. The plot keep me reading because I was almost desperate to see how these too main characters would turn their almost hatred for one another to a relationship. The process of the relationship is interesting to watch, Grant hasn’t liked Tristan from day one simply because he’s the rich kid, the boss’s son; and Tristan can’t stand Grant cocky attitude.

One evening, after being talked down to by Tr...more
blub

First off I want to say that the story is written kind of awkwardly using a alternating person narrative view (at least that's what I think it was, if you don't know what that is look it up). It's kind of unique but makes reading such a story a bit weird since it's not a style seen too much.

The story itself wasn't too bad but it's not really a typical toad for a HEA love story. (view spoiler)...more
Gabbi

I think the blurb does an excellent job at describing the book. Grant McDowell is an up and coming advertising agent, whose creative ideas aren’t always appreciated by the CEO of the company. When Grant suggests doing an ad with openly gay characters, the homophobic CEO of the company immediately shoots his ideas down. Even when, Tristan, the CEO’s son tries to tell Grant he thought his idea had merit, Grant immediately feels nothing but hate for T...more
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
3 1/2 stars!
I found Ms Friday's writing style unusual in that she writes from the third person POV but in present tense rather than past tense, as most stories are told. For example, "He dries himself with a towel," rather than "He dried himself with a towel." It makes the story seem more like a theater script with stage directions rather than a narrative in book form. It took some getting used to as I read it.
The characters were well developed as individuals but not as a couple. I felt like I w...more
Librarian Kate
I liked this - the third-person narrator, sort of an invisible presence observing the action, is new for me and took a bit of getting used to. But the can't-stay-away obsession with someone you want to hate works here rather well; the touch of D/s dynamic is also well done. It's almost like I got pulled in with the MCs and found I liked them, even when I wanted to smack both of them for being so defensive and hiding behind convenient stereotypes. Sometimes it's nice to have a story that revolves...more
Meggie
The storyline in this short novella was rushed undeveloped, but acceptable. What I didn't enjoy was this writing style. I really dislike this way of writing. I felt like a watcher from a balcony. I couldn't feel the characters or even get them emotionally. This style is to cold and to bland.
Josie Goodreads
I adored this book. I loved the enemies to lovers arc. Tristan was my favourite, Although I loved Grant at the end. The first person POV felt a bit strange at first, alternating between Tristan and Grant, but after a little while it seemed very natural. I'd love to read a sequel to this.
Dre
I liked the idea of the story, but it felt very rushed, and I wasn't feeling the connection between Grant and Tristan.
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 09, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Ashlee
Ashlee added it
May 07, 2013
Shaz
Shaz marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Tailtiu
Tailtiu marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Kerstin
Kerstin marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Kellie Dennis
Kellie Dennis marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
P.A. Friday lives in the UK with one partner, one child, and one cat and has a creeping paranoia that she is obsessed with the number one. The only time when "one" cannot be used to describe her, however, is in her writing: she fails dismally to write one sort of thing and, when not writing erotic romance of all sexualities, may be found writing articles on disability, pagan poetry, or science fic...more
More about P.A. Friday...
Joe and the Prince Holly and Oak Kid Trouble's Dragon - an Xcite Books collection of five m/m short stories (Bad Boys) Bad Boys: When Men Come Together