Start by marking “Almost” as Want to Read:
Almost

Almost

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  12,431 ratings  ·  764 reviews
Almost, by Anne Eliot At a freshman party she doesn't remember, Jess Jordan was almost raped. ...Almost. Very nearly. Not quite. Three years later, Jess has managed to make everyone believe she's better. Over it. Because she is....Almost. Very nearly. Not quite. Unfortunately, until Jess proves she's back to normal activities, her parents won't discuss college. So, she lan ...more
Published April 11th 2012 (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Almost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost

Blacky *Romance Addict*
"Number one: Make at least two friends your own age.
Number two: Go places besides your room.
Number three: Get boyfriend.
Number four: Make sure Mom and Dad notice numbers one through three."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

How to show the world you've healed?
Why, fake it, of course.

The story

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Three years ago, Jess was almost raped. She has no memory of what happened but she does have nightmares and well, very serious problems that she couldn't resolve even with a therapist.
All she wants is a chance to have a normal life, to go to
♥Rachel♥
Feb 23, 2012 ♥Rachel♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Cindi
Shelves: favorites, kindle
This story took my breath away. My heart just melts to bits thinking about it.

Jess Jordan is a senior who was almost raped three years ago. When she was fourteen! Since then she's basically been a mess. She suffers from Rape Related PTSD and tries to avoid getting close to anyone. At school she's worked hard to develop the reputation of being a strange, cold, ice-queen so that everyone will leave her alone. That way she doesn't have to answer questions about her odd sleeping habits. She has to
Joy (joyous reads)
Feb 20, 2012 Joy (joyous reads) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy (joyous reads) by: Rachel
Once in a while, an unassuming book comes my way which simply makes me catch my breath. Its characters told the perfect stories, said all the right things, looked exactly how I liked them to look, did the things I expected them to do...in short, it hit all the right spots in an almost too perfect way. Almost is that book.

This is a story about a girl who's been living in a nightmare for the last three years. She has a perfect family who supports her, understands her, cares for her. But no amount
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
FIVE MASSIVE Stars!!

Member: BBB. Boys in Books are Better

I'm so in love with Gray Porter. Let me repeat. This is me shouting it out because I cannot stress this enough: I'm in Love. Seriously. In LOVE with Gray Porter!. Gray has got to be the sweetest, cutest, most unselfish, most honorable book boyfriend ever. And for me to say that, is a huge deal.

I'm sooooooo unbelievably happy right now. I'm so happy that I chose to read this amazing story. Seriously amazing. Its told in a two person persp
Sarah ❤️ Literary Hottie
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

'ALMOST............

"There are no 'almost raped' support groups or 'almost better' from 'almost being raped' websites. No blogs, twitter feeds, and no 'almost-crazy-but-not-quite' Facebook Support Groups"

"Almost. Almost.

How I hate that word and the way it defines me.

Almost raped.

Almost over it.

Almost normal.

I can almost forget. Way worse, I can almost remember."

One night at a freshman party Jess Jordan was drugged, tied to a bed and almost raped. Three years on, many hours of therapy and sh
Smitten's Book Blog

Almost. Almost.
How I hate that word and the way it defines me.
Almost raped. Almost over it. Almost normal.
I can almost forget. Way worse, I can almost remember.

This is soooooo true, in this case...
The cover of this book did absolutely nothing for me, but a few people had mentioned that I should really give this book a chance, so I did.

And it was soooo good! A fabulous, heart warming, page-turning YA romance. I read it in one sitting and couldn't put it down.

Jess Jordan was almost raped. Th
J. Sterling
Don't let the cover deter you from getting this book- also, the book description, to put it mildly, doesn't do the heart of the book any justice. What I mean is- it's REALLY freaking good. :)

This book was an emotional read at times. I felt like it was a very honest, easy to read (the dialogue flowed... the character interactions felt natural... the characters were easy to relate to), wonderfully touching book. A very sensitive and difficult topic that I think was written extremely well and extre
Anne Eliot
Feb 25, 2012 Anne Eliot rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Almost, by Anne Eliot --

February 2012 is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. Please share free link if you think it will help someone.

This book is available 'free' to check out on Amazon.com if you are an Amazon Prime member and participate in the amazing Kindle Lending program. Thanks to everyone who has bought this book, downloaded it, or shared their personal stories and reviews after reading it. You humble me with your stories, and the time you've given to this book.

For those of you who
Yonaily

Adiviné todo con sólo leer el primer capítulo.

Hace ya un largo rato que no leo un buen romance young adult, así que cuando descubrí este libro es la lista de favoritos de uno de mis amigos de goodreads, pensé que después de terminar una trilogía distópica podría leer algo ligero y entretenido. Me equivoqué.

Almost es la típica historia que involucra a una chica sexualmente abusada -o casi abusada- que cree no poder enamorarse, hasta que conoce a un bombón del instituto que trae locas a todas la
AJ
Wow, this book was gorgeous! A beautifully written, emotional story of first love in difficult circumstances. It’s not all hearts and flowers - in fact, the story takes you to some very dark places. But it also made me laugh, had me flat out swooning, and left me in a massive puddle of goo on the floor, grinning like an idiot.

Almost. Almost
How I hate that word and the way it defines me. Almost raped. Almost over it. Almost normal.
I can almost forget. Way worse, I can almost remember.

Jess is 17
YaReads Kikamack
Feb 11, 2012 YaReads Kikamack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to fall in love...
Shelves: favorites
I love the AMAZING LOVE STORY in this book--it made me laugh and cry and cheer and hold my breath.

Gray Porter is amazing, and sweet and nice. And Jess...strong, sad, and very brave. Even though something terrible had happened to Jess years ago--this book is not really about that, it's about her growing up and falling in love. I liked how Jess created her life and kept on living--dealt with things--made her own rules and kept herself 'okay'.

Okay, that is until she fell in love and had to trust
DKristin
This was a wonderful heart breaking and heart warming read and I just saw this on Anne Eliot's fb page:

~6/21/13~
June is PTSD awareness month so I'm offering Almost, by Anne Eliot (that's me) on sale for the first time ever this week--.99! Jess Jordan, the character in this book, is working through rape-related PTSD.

It's a love story and it's about hope. Whatever a person has to carry because of their pasts--they can still fall in love and be okay anyway.

Thanks for all the shares and support o
Shelly Crane
I loved this book. Gray was a breathtaking book boy. The things he did for her and the lengths he went for her....oh....love him.
Janina
Okay. A few quick reason why I didn't like this, but bear in mind that I only read the first few chapters, then skimmed ahead and read the second half of the book.

- The over-use of italics at the beginning almost drove me nuts.

- I was bored after the first few chapters and decided to skip ahead.

- Didn't really connect with the characters and some aspects just didn't quite fit. For example: The heroine doesn't sleep at night because of the nightmares that plague her, but tries to squeeze in a few
Jacqueline's Reads
3 Stars

I didn't want to judge a book by it's cover, (I've been doing that a lot), so when I read the summary to Almost I was very interested and put the ugly cover in the back of mind.

Jess was almost raped at 14 years old, because of that, she has nightmares, but she doesn't really understand them. Her nightmares has put her in therapy for the past three years, her parents don't want her to go to college until she seems "normal". Jess pays Gray $8K to pretend to be her boyfriend so Jess' parents
Lisa
5 Lovely Stars! AND THEY'RE SPARKLY!!!!

This book is amazingly beautiful. It melted my heart into a big pile of goo. We meet Jess who is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder relating to an almost rape that happened three years prior. Just reading what Jess has gone through and continues to go through is absolutely heart-wrenching. I can't even pretend to understand or identify with what someone like Jess deals with. Anne Eliot does a wonderful job in drawing the reader in to what life is
Anne OK

The book blurb for young adults does an amazing job describing the storyline for “Almost.” I’m only going to visit the high points for me. Even though this book deals with the horrific issue of rape (or, in this case, Jess was the victim of an “almost, very nearly, not quite rape”), there is much to smile about within its pages as well. The story is told from both the lead male’s POV and the lead female’s POV – a favorite writing style for me.

Since the “almost” rape her freshman year, J
Jess - A is for Alpha B is for Books
BREATHTAKING. As in, stopped my breath.

I think Jess Jordan is my all time favourite!
Normally I'm all swoon swoon swoon on the guy... But JESS she just did it for me in this one. Don't get me wrong Gray Porter is totally swoon worthy and those one liners lol "I want you to know if we die right now, I won't be able to distinguish if i've made it to heaven or not, because I'm already sitting here with you. Like this." He is totally swoon worthy! and FUNNY!!

BUT

Jess Jordan....
Im not huge on highl
Melissa Maxwell
OMG. I loved this book to no avail. I was searching Amazon looking for something to read and this was a recommendation. I am so happy it was recommended. The book had awesome reviews so I bought it. This book was so heart wrenching I could not put it down for long before I had to pick it back up and continue reading. I read it in on day and whoa. I felt for Jess from the beginning and saw were she was coming from. I LOVE Grey!!!!! He was wonderful and caring and damn near perfect. Both Jess and ...more
Linda
**Possible spoiler alert**

A beautiful love story, which might be hard to believe because of the story line but it really is. It's deep and raw, though, and not a fluffy romantic ride but still a romantic one nonetheless.

But I must warn you; if you don't like graphic details you should either stay clear or have this in mind before you pick it up, because Jess' almost rape scene is very much played out at one point. And that might be hard to read about.. it's disturbing and so sad, but if you'll b
Cindi
Almost is a beautiful book about healing, redemption, and love. It gave me butterflies, made me laugh, and made me cry. A total must read.

ALMOST is everything I look for in YA. Great characters, story, and of course the kind of love that gives me butterflies and has me yelling "kiss! kiss!" at the characters. I love how the author shows us how Jess's struggle with the past and how she grows and gets stronger throughout the book (the younger sister was great, too) So many teen girls have dealt wi
Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus

“Person slaughtered: Me. Method used: Dimple. “

What an amazing story!
I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!

The storyline was phenomenal, the characters AMAZING! The references to current things cracked me! Secondary characters were great! The whole book was just AMAZEBALLS.

I don’t think I can write a review about this without giving anything away but I’ll try.

At a party freshman year, popular girl Jess Jordan was almost raped.
Almost. Very nearly. Not Quite.

Three years later is no longer popular more
Rachael Wade

Loved it! Gray Porter was adorable, and I loved Corey Nash. The humor is sweet and witty and you really feel like you're inside this teenage girl's mind. This is a touching love story about surviving a tragic incident and how facing the truth head on, not suppressing it, is the only real way to heal. Great YA read.
Susanne
May 21, 2012 Susanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All girls and parents
Shelves: best-heroes
It was almost fantastic. But it sure was extraordinaire. There are no words, the description is great but you have to experience it. A very beautiful young-adult novel about getting past something terrible. I loved it and would recommend it to all young girls and all parents. Read it.
Cj
I really liked this book!

Jess Jordan has been through a lot. She was almost raped when she was fourteen and that really shaped her life. She can't sleep at night because of the nightmares. Her parents won't let her go to college if they don't think she's better. So she decides to pay ex-hockey player Gray Porter to be her boyfriend. Only for the summer, of course.

Gray Porter knows her past because he was a part of it. Good thing she doesn't remember! But then he begins to fall for her... For r
Mandy Rosas
I need to talk about the awesome that is this book. Fans of Beautiful Disaster (Jamie McGuire), Slammed (Colleen Hoover), Barely Breathing (Rebecca Donovan) and Thoughtless (S. C. Stephens), you're in for a treat!
Buckle up boys & girls, because Jess's past isn't pretty... but she doesn't remember it. At least, almost nothing of it. Not the night she revisits every time she falls alseep during dark hours, and not how what was meant to be rape was reduced to almost-rape. Everything about her l
Jenn
3.5 I rounded up for Gray.

This book came highly recommended from one of my best friends. She absolutely loved it and I wanted to as well. I really wanted to, but I just couldn't. I didn't love it, but that doesn't mean that I didn't like it.

The story follows Jess, a girl who was almost raped when she was 14 when she went to a party. All she remembers was that there was alcohol involved. She also has flashes of conversations from that night, but only a few words stand out such as "lucky girl".
Ian
★★★½

“I know I’m acting crazy but I’m in love with this girl. Major love. And I have no idea what to do about it, so it’s messing with my sanity.”

I really love this book, but I have a problem with it. For the first half of the book, I could easily have walked away. It really didn't start to get interesting till after I had read about 50% of it, and it didn't become a book that I would sacrifice sleep for till I was nearly 80% through. I know one other person has had a similar experience. To me th
ashlee
i knew i was going to like this book. i just knew. this book was amazing. ah-maz-ing. i absolutely loved jess. one of the very few times where i actually really liked the female. possibly as much as the male - maybe even more.

jess. she was incredible. this girl has been through a lot. but she puts on this mask, that everythings fine. she has terrible nightmares that dont allow her to sleep at night but she doesnt let it stop her. she just takes naps during the day, whenever she gets time. i can
Emily
This book makes me rethink the 5 stars I've given to other books... it's really that incredible! I happen to LOVE GUYS IN BOOKS better than in real life. And until I can meet a real life grey porter.. I'm not quite convinced they get any better. ;)
Almost had suspense, didn't leave me with any annoying questions that I would've been upset weren't answered by the end, was TOTALLY ROMANTIC (and so amazing it made me jittery and all 'butter-flies'.., had a NON-rushed perfect ending that left reader
ya books 5 27 Aug 23, 2013 02:25AM
Free Books, .99 &...: Choose either Unmaking Hunter Kennedy or Almost 3 23 Feb 19, 2013 06:33AM
Book Giveaways: Choose either Unmaking Hunter Kennedy or Almost 1 3 Feb 19, 2013 06:07AM
teen romance book 8 50 Feb 04, 2013 07:04AM
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment
  • Dizzy
  • Twisted
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Grounding Quinn
  • What I Didn't Say
  • Chasing McCree (Chasing McCree, #1)
  • Knee Deep
  • Unlovable (Port Fare, #1)
  • Sophie & Carter
  • Going Under (Going Under, #1)
  • Dream Chaser
  • Fragile
  • Please Don't Tell (Please Don't Tell, #1)
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • The Stillburrow Crush
Anne Eliot writes sweet, first-love stories. She was raised in the mountains of Colorado, but says she really learned about life, love and friendships from summers spent with her large, Italian immigrant family in Ontario, Canada.

Anne is grateful to have had schools with inspiring teachers and librarians who directed her to worlds she would not have found on her own. To this day, she adores schoo
More about Anne Eliot...
Unmaking Hunter Kennedy How I Fall

“With a lightning quick glance at me first, he reads one bumper sticker: “Member: BBB. Boys in Books are Better?” 66 likes
“God, I wish I could see your face when I ask you this question.
Here goes: Is there a chance you could love me? Even a little?
Because I do – love you. And I think you know that already too.”
39 likes