Black Oil, Red Blood
read ebook

Black Oil, Red Blood

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The thing about cancer is it's hard to prove somebody gave it to you on purpose-but Chloe Taylor can prove it. In fact, she proves it for a living. She sues oil refineries that would rather save a buck than comply with safety regulations designed to do important things like, you know, keep people alive.

Chloe had a successful career until circumstances forced her to move to...more
Published February 3rd 2012 by Wishlist Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Black Oil, Red Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Oil, Red Blood

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTorment by Lauren KateTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Judge Books By Their Covers
165th out of 747 books — 703 voters
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtryBurn Down the Ground by Kambri Crews
Texas Authors
60th out of 296 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheri
Chloe Taylor is a small-town lawyer who is in the middle of a lawsuit with Big Oil. When her expert witness turns up dead a day before the trial, Chloe begins to realize there may be more to the case than she originally thought. Enlisting the help of detective Nash and her paralegal, Miles, to help her with the case, Chloe quickly realizes that is in over her head.

The first thing that drew me into this book right away was the author's writing style. It is neat and clean, and the story flows smo...more
Jill Hackett
I'm sorry to say that I struggled to get through this book. I'm going to give it two stars for "it was okay" because really that's what I'd have to say about it. It was okay.

The characters were overwhelmingly cardboard (with the exception of Nash, who actually seemed to have some complexity) and the plot was so-so. I feel like the story was an excuse for the author to lecture me about Big Oil. Characters randomly broke out into long-winded speeches and rattled off statistics as if they were read...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
2.5 Stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author to write an honest review.

Who said that the Wild West is dead? In the small Texas town of Kettle, Big Oil rules the town with an iron fist. PetroPlex is the town’s main employer and has several prominent city officials and judges in its pockets as Chloe Taylor quickly learns. Her expert witness is found murdered the day before he is to testify in the wrongful death suit she is seeking damages for her widowed client. The judge reluctan...more
Carole Douglas
This eco-thriller has an important message.

Murder, mystery, corporate greed and a paper chase turned killing field. This book has it all to please legal thriller and mystery fans. The writing snaps, the action crackles and the climax goes pop!
Katie
Diane Castle's novel could rival the likes of Dan Brown and Tess Gerritsen!

The novel in short - Chloe is a tort lawyer who had a messy split from her two-timing fiancé and decided to move to the small town of Kettle. She becomes employed in a small solicitors office who deal mostly with personal injury cases resulting from the local oil factory taking short-cuts when it comes to the health and safety of their personal. The day before one of her trials is due to be heard, her expert witness is br...more
Kimberly Hicks
Jan 15, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Shelves: read-on-kindle
I didn't love this book nor did I totally dislike it. This isn't what I would call a real legal thriller. It had some legal stuff in it and a bit of a thrill, but I found the story to be choppy. The best way for me to describe it is think of several dynamics happening all at the same time, but none of it seems to fit well together. There was so much going on and yet, what was going on didn't seem to flow right.

I like that there was a little comedy to the story and the writing wasn't bad, I just...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mar 07, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery, Thriller, Female Sleuth/Protagonist
I could not ask for a more effective reader’s hook than the Prologue of “Black Oil, Red Blood.” No possible way a reader could turn away from this novel after reading just the first few sentences-but even better, the entire Prologue rocks with excitement, danger, and potential fatality, with character, revelation, superb plot and setting. Amazingly, this is Author Castle’s debut novel! It’s almost too much to expect to find great writing, enjoyable characters (some of which inspired me to laugh...more
Emmie Cooper
Mar 22, 2012 Emmie Cooper rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nicola Black, Leigh, Tana, Sheri
This book has it all, murder, mystery, greed, suspense and a of course romance. Ms. Diane Castle’s well paced plot and engaging characters make this an entertaining novel based on legal corruption in the oil industry. I’m not a fan of legal thrillers but Diane Castle was able to hook me with her fantastic dialogue. The story is based in small town Kettle, Texas, where a big oil corporation reigns and a witty attorney Chloe Taylor fights against this giant in winning cases on wrongful death settl...more
Deb Novack
I know if I had a wrongful death suit against "Big Oil" that virtually owns the city and politicians in my town, I would want Chloe Taylor as my lawyer. She doesn't always play fair or with in the law but neither do the oil companies. This story is an honest look into greed, mystery and murder,but does have some romance. This is about what everyone knows "Big Oil" is doing to this country and its residents.
Diane Castle has written a wonderfully honest book.
David Null
What a great roller coaster ride. Not only entertaining, but also very informative
Micki Street
Chloe Taylor, a city lawyer from Dallas, gave up a life of luxury when she broke off her engagement to a rich Dallas trial attorney who was incapable of honesty or fidelity and decided to move on. She landed up in the small town of Kettle with a population of 4,000 seemingly run by the largest oil refinery in Texas, PetroPlex – a company notorious for flouting safety violations. With few job options on the market, she accepted a position with the small town Law firm and finds herself soon embroi...more
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Black Oil, Red Blood written by Diane Castle is a mystery-suspense with a bit of romance. I read this as part of a R2R with Basically Books!. A special thank you to the mods as well as the author for allowing me to participate.

Short Synopsis:
Chloe Taylor has left a successful law firm and her smooth talking, rich lawyer, cheating ex-fiancé in the big city, and moved to the small town of Kettle, TX to practice law against Big Oil industry's PetroPlex, who is suspected of cutting corners and putt...more
Fred
This was a really good plot, but the writing telling itself could possibly use a little work. I always feel bad about pointing this out because it seems like if I'm critical of someone else's writing style then I should be above reproach myself, so I want to be very clear in saying that this is probably about the same level that I write on as far as style, and Castle is ahead of me in plot development for sure.

That said, I liked the book but it wasn't great. She is a good writer and someone that...more
Tome
Black Oil, Red Oil is an Erin Brockovich style thriller following lawyer Chloe Talyor as she fights to prove that the local oil refinery gave her client’s husband cancer. As she struggles with her complicated personal life, her case starts to fall apart when her expert witness is killed days before the trial. With the big oil company and several in their pay trying to stop her, will she manage to get justice for her client?

If you like a story with a message then this one is for you. The author o...more
Lynxie
Black Oil, Red Blood was a thoroughly engrossing read from start to finish! I highly recommend it!

It was quite a bit different from the latest reads I have been devouring, but it was a welcome change. A solid crime/legal thriller with rather complex and emotional characters, that make you fall in love with them (especially Nash - Ohh wow! *wipes brow and sighs*). Black Oil, Red Blood delved quite thoroughly into Big Oil and the petroleum world with all its complexity.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I u...more
Denise DeSio
In the six months that I’ve been promoting my novel, Rose's Will, I've cyber-met tons of authors with the same objective. Most of them write in genres I will never read, and unlike my friend Karen, who will give anything in print the benefit of the doubt (see her review of Drink Me, Daddy), I will do no such thing.

Occasionally, however, I might check out a paragraph or two in the spirit of trying to support my struggling comrades. I was feeling particularly magnanimous when I opted to read the...more
Marina
Chloe Taylor was a successful lawyer. Until she found out that her fiancé (also very rich and successful lawyer) was cheating on her. So she left. She moved to a small town named Kettle, Texas. Now, she still wears her expensive clothes, but in a lack of money, she eats Ramen every day.

The life in Kettle is not ordinary after all. Big Oil Industry giant PetroPlex is the mayor company in town. Almost entire population works there. Many of the people that work in the oil company are getting sick....more
Carrie Kellenberger
A snappy little title that was free from Amazon, Black Oil Red Blood is an entertaining read about a small Texas town whose residents live in the shadow of PetroPlex, a giant oil company that has been deliberately flouting safety rules and putting their employees and the citizens of Kettle at risk for years.

Enter Chloe Taylor, an up and coming hotshot lawyer who is determined to bring PetroPlex down. Unfortunately, a few things stand in her way, such as the murder of her expert witness, her wid...more
Christine Keleny
Black Oil, Red Blood- Diane Castle’s new murder mystery thriller - is a fun romp with a serious side. The author, you find at the end, is a lawyer who assists plaintiffs with wrongful death and personal injury cases against Big Oil giants such as ExxonMobil, ChevronTexaco, BP, and ConocoPhillips, as is the main character in the story - Chloe Talyor, so at least part of what Chloe says about Big Oil must hint of some truth, even though the author’s disclaimer says no. I wonder. It makes for a goo...more
Sherry Fundin
"If your expert witness dies of a heart attack while surfing in Aruba, that's life. If he's murdered the day before he's set to testify at a hearing that can make or break a case, that's friggin' suspicious."

Chloe Taylor is a hard-hitting lawyer that battles Big Oil, claiming damages for wrongful death. As she begins her fight against PetroPlex, Schaeffer, her expert witness is murdered just days before he is due to testify. Chloe knows she doesn't stand a chance if she doesn't get a continuance...more
Matt Kelland
An entertaining thriller.

Other reviewers have complained that it's too "preachy" and too full of details about the oil industry. I disagree. If anything, it could have used more of that. I like a book that's not afraid to carry a message, and which uses fiction to educate people. Others complained it was just a load of action sequences - again, I liked this. It was fast, easy, reading.

What really surprised me was that the (pseudonymous) author is a lawyer specializing in this very area. As I wa...more
Walter Schlillinger
TOP NOTCH

Sassy heroines are the thing right now and Chloe could be the best of them all. This could be the start of a top selling series not unlike Evanovich's. Stephanie Plumb only more book smart and not as much humor. Unfortunately the male heroes are a little too perfect and could use a few rough edges. I just hope this is just the start of a series.
Jackie Wilson
Fantastic Book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Chloe reminded me very much of a slightly more feminine version of Kinsey Millhone from the Sue Grafton 'alphabet' mystery series.

The action was almost non stop from start to finish. I also really like the fact that I learned a bit about big oil while reading. The other characters in the story from Miles, the flaming-gay paralegal to Lucy, the fiercelessly loyal mutt, added some really entertaining dynamics and personality.

The romance between Chloe and lo...more
Sandra
Quick, fun read

Quick, fun read

I really enjoyed this book. It's written cleanly and without a lot of description affecting the peace of the story. I find a few scenes absurdly implausible (like running for 45 minutes in high heels), but the book reads like an action movie in many scenes, so they still fit.
Beth Sammons
Really did not like the ending! It really left you hanging - I like a difinitive ending even though you know that the story will continue. It felt like the authur left a couple chapters out. I liked the twists and turns but it seemed unbelievable at times.
Sylvia Monyeen
I could not put this story down until I finished reading it!
The subject matter alone got my attention. Plus the author's description of characters is intriguing ,
this is a hot topic for me!Thank you Ms. castle for writing this story.
Cyndy
A legal thriller about the oil industry and small town politics - if you like Grisham, you will probably like this author as well. I am looking forward to her future books... Lots of twists that kept me interested.
Jack ALBERT
If you're interested in a fast-paced original story revolving around the shady machinations of Big Oil, I recommend this book to your attention. It is peopled with interesting characters and incidents that will keep your attention up till the dramatic end. This thriller is very well paced and written with passion and care by someone who obviously knows her way around a courthouse.

Having received a copy of this book as part of a GR giveaway, I am truly grateful to be given the chance to discover...more
Joan K.
I like it when a book is entertaining and informative. I would have to assume that a lot of the facts and figures that are in the book about the impact big oil manufacturing, disposal, etc. can have on a person's health have to be realistic. So in enjoying the action and romance of the book, I also learned something new.

I also felt the character development of the book was excellent as I could truly envision what these people looked like. Some of the scenes were definite Hollywood action and adv...more
R.M. Gilmore
Very interesting! Fast paced, fact-filled, and edge of your seat action.

Only downside, DO NOT attempt reading before bed, or while not fully awake. This bad boy needs your full attention.

Love the redheaded spitfire, Chloe. Her adorable hetero(or not so hetero)-life mate, Miles. And the chivalrous, Detective Nash. The combination of interesting characters, legal-eagle plot line, and downright out of nowhere twists, kept me enthralled.

Took a few chapters to get me hooked, but once I was in I co...more
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer #2)
  • No Time To Run
  • Covert Dreams: An International Thriller
  • Mad Money
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1)
  • Dark Prairies
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series)
  • The Beholder (Maddie Richards Mystery, #1)
  • Night of the Assassin (Assassin #0.5)
  • Out of the Shadow
  • Wanted (A Leopold Blake Thriller #3)
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • Rumors of Savages
  • Grave Situation
  • Apocalypse Island
Alice Holds the Cards

“I didn't feel strong. I felt like a big ball of wuss that wanted to curl up in my bed and never get out.” 5 likes