Start by marking “Black Oil, Red Blood” as Want to Read:

Read eBook

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
The thing about cancer is it's hard to prove somebody gave it to you on purpose-but Chloe Taylor can prove it. In fact, she proves it for a living. She sues oil refineries that would rather save a buck than comply with safety regulations designed to do important things like, you know, keep people alive.

Chloe had a successful career until circumstances forced her to move to
Published February 3rd 2012 by Wishlist Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Black Oil, Red Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Oil, Red Blood

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTorment by Lauren Kate
Judge Books By Their Covers
229th out of 867 books — 778 voters
The E.I. Syndrome by Sherry A. RogersChemical Sensitivity by Sherry A. RogersHome Safe Home by Debra Lynn DaddThe Lupus Book by Daniel J. WallaceWhole Way to Allergy Relief & Prevention by Jacqueline Krohn
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Awareness
33rd out of 77 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheri
May 01, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Chloe Taylor is a small-town lawyer who is in the middle of a lawsuit with Big Oil. When her expert witness turns up dead a day before the trial, Chloe begins to realize there may be more to the case than she originally thought. Enlisting the help of detective Nash and her paralegal, Miles, to help her with the case, Chloe quickly realizes that is in over her head.

The first thing that drew me into this book right away was the author's writing style. It is neat and clean, and the story flows smo
Jill Marie Hackett
I'm sorry to say that I struggled to get through this book. I'm going to give it two stars for "it was okay" because really that's what I'd have to say about it. It was okay.

The characters were overwhelmingly cardboard (with the exception of Nash, who actually seemed to have some complexity) and the plot was so-so. I feel like the story was an excuse for the author to lecture me about Big Oil. Characters randomly broke out into long-winded speeches and rattled off statistics as if they were read
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
2.5 Stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author to write an honest review.

Who said that the Wild West is dead? In the small Texas town of Kettle, Big Oil rules the town with an iron fist. PetroPlex is the town’s main employer and has several prominent city officials and judges in its pockets as Chloe Taylor quickly learns. Her expert witness is found murdered the day before he is to testify in the wrongful death suit she is seeking damages for her widowed client. The judge reluctan
Katie
May 10, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Diane Castle's novel could rival the likes of Dan Brown and Tess Gerritsen!

The novel in short - Chloe is a tort lawyer who had a messy split from her two-timing fiancé and decided to move to the small town of Kettle. She becomes employed in a small solicitors office who deal mostly with personal injury cases resulting from the local oil factory taking short-cuts when it comes to the health and safety of their personal. The day before one of her trials is due to be heard, her expert witness is br
Kimberly Hicks
Jan 15, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Shelves: read-on-kindle
I didn't love this book nor did I totally dislike it. This isn't what I would call a real legal thriller. It had some legal stuff in it and a bit of a thrill, but I found the story to be choppy. The best way for me to describe it is think of several dynamics happening all at the same time, but none of it seems to fit well together. There was so much going on and yet, what was going on didn't seem to flow right.

I like that there was a little comedy to the story and the writing wasn't bad, I just
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mar 07, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery, Thriller, Female Sleuth/Protagonist
Shelves: march-2012-reads
I could not ask for a more effective reader’s hook than the Prologue of “Black Oil, Red Blood.” No possible way a reader could turn away from this novel after reading just the first few sentences-but even better, the entire Prologue rocks with excitement, danger, and potential fatality, with character, revelation, superb plot and setting. Amazingly, this is Author Castle’s debut novel! It’s almost too much to expect to find great writing, enjoyable characters (some of which inspired me to laugh ...more
Emmie Cooper
Mar 22, 2012 Emmie Cooper rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nicola Black, Leigh, Tana, Sheri
This book has it all, murder, mystery, greed, suspense and a of course romance. Ms. Diane Castle’s well paced plot and engaging characters make this an entertaining novel based on legal corruption in the oil industry. I’m not a fan of legal thrillers but Diane Castle was able to hook me with her fantastic dialogue. The story is based in small town Kettle, Texas, where a big oil corporation reigns and a witty attorney Chloe Taylor fights against this giant in winning cases on wrongful death settl ...more
Sandy Grissett
Aug 25, 2015 Sandy Grissett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller

This is a great thriller by Diane Castle. It begins with Chloe Taylor who is defending her client who lost her husband from cancer. The oil company, Petro Plex, does not offer protective wear for their employees, and they know the substance causes cancer. Chloe is going to court the following day with her key witness, however, he ends up murdered before he can take the stand. Chloe works with Miles who is a great partner. Her boss is Dick, who we consider a jerk, however you may th
Deb Novack
I know if I had a wrongful death suit against "Big Oil" that virtually owns the city and politicians in my town, I would want Chloe Taylor as my lawyer. She doesn't always play fair or with in the law but neither do the oil companies. This story is an honest look into greed, mystery and murder,but does have some romance. This is about what everyone knows "Big Oil" is doing to this country and its residents.
Diane Castle has written a wonderfully honest book.
Carole Douglas
Feb 15, 2012 Carole Douglas rated it it was amazing
This eco-thriller has an important message.

Murder, mystery, corporate greed and a paper chase turned killing field. This book has it all to please legal thriller and mystery fans. The writing snaps, the action crackles and the climax goes pop!
David Null
Feb 15, 2012 David Null rated it it was amazing
What a great roller coaster ride. Not only entertaining, but also very informative
Jenni
Dec 09, 2014 Jenni rated it it was ok
Black Oil, Red Oil is an Erin Brockovich style thriller following lawyer Chloe Talyor as she fights to prove that the local oil refinery gave her clients husband cancer. As she struggles with her complicated personal life, her case starts to fall apart when her expert witness is killed days before the trial. With the big oil company and several in their pay trying to stop her, will she manage to get justice for her client?

If you like a story with a message then this one is for you. The author ob
Micki Street
May 28, 2012 Micki Street rated it it was amazing
Chloe Taylor, a city lawyer from Dallas, gave up a life of luxury when she broke off her engagement to a rich Dallas trial attorney who was incapable of honesty or fidelity and decided to move on. She landed up in the small town of Kettle with a population of 4,000 seemingly run by the largest oil refinery in Texas, PetroPlex – a company notorious for flouting safety violations. With few job options on the market, she accepted a position with the small town Law firm and finds herself soon embroi ...more
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Black Oil, Red Blood written by Diane Castle is a mystery-suspense with a bit of romance. I read this as part of a R2R with Basically Books!. A special thank you to the mods as well as the author for allowing me to participate.

Short Synopsis:
Chloe Taylor has left a successful law firm and her smooth talking, rich lawyer, cheating ex-fiancé in the big city, and moved to the small town of Kettle, TX to practice law against Big Oil industry's PetroPlex, who is suspected of cutting corners and put
Fred
Sep 15, 2012 Fred rated it liked it
This was a really good plot, but the writing telling itself could possibly use a little work. I always feel bad about pointing this out because it seems like if I'm critical of someone else's writing style then I should be above reproach myself, so I want to be very clear in saying that this is probably about the same level that I write on as far as style, and Castle is ahead of me in plot development for sure.

That said, I liked the book but it wasn't great. She is a good writer and someone that
Lynxie
Black Oil, Red Blood was a thoroughly engrossing read from start to finish! I highly recommend it!

It was quite a bit different from the latest reads I have been devouring, but it was a welcome change. A solid crime/legal thriller with rather complex and emotional characters, that make you fall in love with them (especially Nash - Ohh wow! *wipes brow and sighs*). Black Oil, Red Blood delved quite thoroughly into Big Oil and the petroleum world with all its complexity.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I u
Denise DeSio
Apr 19, 2012 Denise DeSio rated it it was amazing
In the six months that I’ve been promoting my novel, Rose's Will, I've cyber-met tons of authors with the same objective. Most of them write in genres I will never read, and unlike my friend Karen, who will give anything in print the benefit of the doubt (see her review of Drink Me, Daddy), I will do no such thing.

Occasionally, however, I might check out a paragraph or two in the spirit of trying to support my struggling comrades. I was feeling particularly magnanimous when I opted to read the
Marina
Apr 23, 2012 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chloe Taylor was a successful lawyer. Until she found out that her fiancé (also very rich and successful lawyer) was cheating on her. So she left. She moved to a small town named Kettle, Texas. Now, she still wears her expensive clothes, but in a lack of money, she eats Ramen every day.

The life in Kettle is not ordinary after all. Big Oil Industry giant PetroPlex is the mayor company in town. Almost entire population works there. Many of the people that work in the oil company are getting sick.
Carrie Kellenberger
Aug 06, 2012 Carrie Kellenberger rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A snappy little title that was free from Amazon, Black Oil Red Blood is an entertaining read about a small Texas town whose residents live in the shadow of PetroPlex, a giant oil company that has been deliberately flouting safety rules and putting their employees and the citizens of Kettle at risk for years.

Enter Chloe Taylor, an up and coming hotshot lawyer who is determined to bring PetroPlex down. Unfortunately, a few things stand in her way, such as the murder of her expert witness, her wid
Christine Keleny
Apr 07, 2012 Christine Keleny rated it really liked it
Black Oil, Red Blood- Diane Castle’s new murder mystery thriller - is a fun romp with a serious side. The author, you find at the end, is a lawyer who assists plaintiffs with wrongful death and personal injury cases against Big Oil giants such as ExxonMobil, ChevronTexaco, BP, and ConocoPhillips, as is the main character in the story - Chloe Talyor, so at least part of what Chloe says about Big Oil must hint of some truth, even though the author’s disclaimer says no. I wonder. It makes for a goo ...more
Sherry Fundin
Jun 05, 2012 Sherry Fundin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, favorites
"If your expert witness dies of a heart attack while surfing in Aruba, that's life. If he's murdered the day before he's set to testify at a hearing that can make or break a case, that's friggin' suspicious."

Chloe Taylor is a hard-hitting lawyer that battles Big Oil, claiming damages for wrongful death. As she begins her fight against PetroPlex, Schaeffer, her expert witness is murdered just days before he is due to testify. Chloe knows she doesn't stand a chance if she doesn't get a continuance
Valda Davis
Aug 30, 2015 Valda Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A romantic, adventure, and legal fiction based on the oil companies efforts to maintain their control in all areas.

Me Castle used her personal experiences as an attorney as well as excellent research to write an entertaining and very believable story of the oil companies' and their controlling efforts. Having grown up and lived in oil company controlled towns for decades, I am very critical of fiction centered around oil companies' control
Matt Kelland
Aug 28, 2012 Matt Kelland rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
An entertaining thriller.

Other reviewers have complained that it's too "preachy" and too full of details about the oil industry. I disagree. If anything, it could have used more of that. I like a book that's not afraid to carry a message, and which uses fiction to educate people. Others complained it was just a load of action sequences - again, I liked this. It was fast, easy, reading.

What really surprised me was that the (pseudonymous) author is a lawyer specializing in this very area. As I wa
Tulay Leonhardt
Oct 15, 2015 Tulay Leonhardt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

Learned somethings, lots of true statistics and facts in this book. Author Diane Castle being who she is wrote excellent story. Oil and natural gas companies are only worry about their profits and who should they elect. Clean air or water are never their concern. As long as lobbyists and money this will never change. There is some light, funny dialogue and clever dog named Lucy.
Walter Schlillinger
TOP NOTCH

Sassy heroines are the thing right now and Chloe could be the best of them all. This could be the start of a top selling series not unlike Evanovich's. Stephanie Plumb only more book smart and not as much humor. Unfortunately the male heroes are a little too perfect and could use a few rough edges. I just hope this is just the start of a series.
Jackie Wilson
Apr 13, 2012 Jackie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Chloe reminded me very much of a slightly more feminine version of Kinsey Millhone from the Sue Grafton 'alphabet' mystery series.

The action was almost non stop from start to finish. I also really like the fact that I learned a bit about big oil while reading. The other characters in the story from Miles, the flaming-gay paralegal to Lucy, the fiercelessly loyal mutt, added some really entertaining dynamics and personality.

The romance between Chloe and lo
Melanie Melancon
Black Oil, Red Blood

If this scenario had been a little more believable, I would have given a higher rating. I enjoyed the idea of the plot, big oil as the bad guys, but nothing made sense, starting with the location. I will try another by this author, because she wrote an entertaining yarn. I just hope the next one is more realistic.
Sandra
Jun 22, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick, fun read

Quick, fun read

I really enjoyed this book. It's written cleanly and without a lot of description affecting the peace of the story. I find a few scenes absurdly implausible (like running for 45 minutes in high heels), but the book reads like an action movie in many scenes, so they still fit.
Donna Hromada
Sep 30, 2015 Donna Hromada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting!

While some of the situations the "heroine" got herself into were pretty farfetched, this was a really good book. It was great to get some education on big oil companies, lawsuits oand dirty politics. This book made me laugh, intrigued me and kept me reading. What more can be expected from a book?!
Judith Davis
Oct 19, 2015 Judith Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Oil Red Blood by Diane Castle

This book was fantastic ! It kept me reading non stop from beginning to end. I enjoyed the quirky characters and loved the romance developing between the lawyer and the cop. There was plenty of excitement and intrigue to keep me happy.
  • Voodoo Daddy (Virgil Jones Mystery, #1)
  • The Curse of Senmut (Ardis Cole, #1)
  • Covert Dreams
  • Matanzas Bay (A Quint Mitchell Mystery - Book 1)
  • Mad Money
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders
  • Rain Dance ( Three Novels)
  • Gather the Bones
  • Unnatural Selection (Unnatural Selection #1)
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • Death Angel
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Masks of the Lost Kings
  • Superior Storm (Lake Superior Mysteries)
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Ascension Day
  • Forbidden Soul (Soul Reader, #2)
  • The Bet

“I didn't feel strong. I felt like a big ball of wuss that wanted to curl up in my bed and never get out.” 4 likes