Start by marking “Chiamate a freddo ” as Want to Read:
Chiamate a freddo

Chiamate a freddo (Vertigo Crime)

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Scrive Conrad in Cuore di tenebra: "il lavoro non mi piace, ma mi piace quello che c’è nel lavoro: la possibilità di trovare se stessi". È noto che negli Stati Uniti lavorare sodo è un imperativo categorico, ma per il protagonista di questo romanzo il lavoro è una vera ossessione e trovare se stesso sarà un’atroce scoperta.
Bill Moss, ex vicepresidente del marketing alla Sm
Published April 2010 by Meridiano Zero (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Chiamate a freddo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chiamate a freddo

This is one of those comics that puts the ‘graphic’ in ‘graphic novel.

This hybrid of a crime and horror story features an Irish lass who uses sex to lead men to their doom. As a NYPD detective tries to make sense of the pile of body parts being found around the city, an old boyfriend of the Irish woman shows up with a bunch of crazy talk about connections to druid ritual sacrifices.

This was a solid piece of comic’s writing with some nice noir-ish black & white artwork. It could have used a l
A fun and fast read. Expect violence and sex but it's tied into a tale relating to Celtic Mythology. Artwork was well done but it's in black and white for those who are turned off by such things.

WHEN READ: 10/04/2010; MY GRADE: B plus to A minus.
Quentin Wallace
Of the Vertigo Crime graphic novels I've read so far, this one had the most supernatural elements to it. Normally I am a huge fan of supernatural horror, but I enjoy this line more for the realistic, noir type stories and not the supernatural stuff, so while I did enjoy it, I found it a bit out of place. That being said, it does have enough crime that it will probably appeal to fans of the other graphic novels in the series, and if you are more the paranormal crime reader, you would like this on ...more
I read "The Chill" cover-to-cover in one sitting, even though I wasn't planning to. I just couldn't put it down. Jason Starr and Mick Bertilorenzi deliver a good book: it exceeded any expectations I had about it.

I'm not big on the supernatural, so before reading "The Chill" I wasn't sure about the whole «druids/ritual sacrifices/celtic lore» aspects of it, but these elements are skillfully woven into the story, and early on I was hooked. The story draws you in and you find yourself going along
I have a weakness for noir crime fiction and gritty, black and white crime comics. I won't call it a guilty pleasure, because there's nothing to feel guilty about. This shit is fucking awesome, and anyone saying differently is wrong. There are some masterpieces and great works in the realm of crime fiction, and there's also a lot that isn't so great. Like everything, it's got its in-betweens and its not-so-goods.

The line of Vertigo crime comics is more or less right up my alley, giving me exact
This was an interesting blend of noir crime and dark fantasy/horror. It had weaknesses in the writing, in particular. The Irish ex-cop central character is a cliché, and so are some of the others. The priest, in particular, is over the top, and the segment involving him seems to break some of the rules of the story.
The horror aspect involves a weird druidic offshoot that seems to sacrifice people in order to extend the lifespan of the priests doing the sacrifice.
Like some of the other books in t
I was looking for a palate cleanser, because I had gotten to that point where everything I tried to read was boring me. So admittedly this is not my usual fare. Umm, how should I describe this? It's sort of like someone took an old episode of the Twilight Zone and sleazed it up to the nth degree. It even comes with a child molesting Catholic Priest. It's also chock full of dirty sex, profanity, and victims so scummy you won't care when they die. The comic is black and white which does add to a c ...more
Jason Seaver
Silly me, I was expecting straight-up crime from the Vertigo Crime line, and was just a bit disappointed when it took a turn toward supernatural horror early on. I picked it up on the basis of what Starr had done writing for the Hard Case Crime line, not noting that the bit on the back cover about this being Starr's debut in both comics and horror. Live and learn.

On the plus side, he's got a knack for them, and the art is first-rate, combining the simplicity of crime comics with some impressive
Joseph Young
Boobs. Relatively boring story about a succubus that uses sex to sell. The story relies too much on sexuality without real development. Cliched use of a priest as a pedophile. Lack of morality and consequences in the story. The priest just seems to volunteer for death.
Vertigo's Crime line of original graphic novels is one of the best things going in the world of comics. I really enjoyed Starr's comic debut. The only reason I give this book 3 and not 4 stars isn't the extreme sexual content or extreme violence, both of which are used well in the story. It is the excessive amount of profanity in the writing. The amount of F-bombs in the books make Deadwood seem like Sesame Street. I can't think of any comic where I even noticed such a thing before. Characters s ...more
This latest offering in DC’s Vertigo Crime series is an even-handed sophomore offering. Starr’s twisted crime tale that spans both decades and cultures – as it starts in rural Ireland in the 60s before bringing us to the modern day urban Eastern Seaboard metropolises of New York and (briefly) Boston. Although it is a hard-boiled, page-turning read in fine crime noir tradition, Bertilorenzi’s art doesn’t do Starr’s tale full justice. Would that he chose an artist with a more realistic style, then ...more
supernatural horror meets hard boiled crime. celtic lore, serial killings, effective artwork in black and white and lots of blood make this a winner. Ill look out for other stories by Jason Starr in Comics. Some Panels were really really good and a second reading lets you notice all the little visual details that make this story so entertaining. The art is very clear even if the space is very constricted because of the small format. too bad vertigo is not continuing their "vertigo crime" imprint ...more
Christopher Ryan
This left me both impressed and wanting more. I love the format and am disappointed to learn Vertigo has already cancelled this line. At $20 I can understand why. Though I love the hardcover, the story was not a $20 read. Nice supernatural elements, sex, and violence, but not enough of any of it for the price.
Guy Gonzalez
The first two-thirds are a cliché-riddled bore filled with one-dimensional characters, especially the men who all talk the same and fit every imaginable stereotype down to the perverted priest. The final third is solid Hollywood climax with the requisite twist. Overall, another underwhelming disappointment from the Vertigo Crime line.
Brian Rosenberger
A killer is on the loose in New York. There's a suspect but each eye-witness provides a different description. What's going on? The explanation left me cold (pun intended). This supernatural infused crime thriller left me wanting more. More substance. Cool art but the story just didn't do it for me.
Interesting concept tale mixing the modern USA with old Irish druid fables, in a noir atmosphere. However, it seemed lacking a bit in terms of development, with the story pretty much a repeat of different cases with no real suspense or mystery to help it in the long run.
Donald Armfield
With this getting 3 Stars across the board I guess I have to check out the rest of Vertigo Crime series.

I would say black & white comics bah! But I enjoyed the story line, the nude cartoon chick and her cursed vagina. The ending with a good to be continued....
Mikael Kuoppala
A hypersexualized woman who feeds on sexual energy in noir toned New York. The concept sounds rather campy, but Jason Starr’s thriller isn’t quite as bad as it sounds. There is style and grace in the mix, even though the story settles with being safe and forgettable.
David Schwan
A dark story about a pair of druids living in modern NYC who have deviated from their druid beliefs and use their skills for personal enhancement instead of being in harmony in nature. The ending was somewhat unexpected, very abrupt shift of direction. Great graphics.
Matt Buchholz
Apr 22, 2010 Matt Buchholz rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: femme fatales and punch drunk palookas
Recommended to Matt by: I got tricked by back cover qoutes.
Shelves: comics-read
Looks like Eduardo Risso on a budget and reads like "cliche noir phrases" fridge magnet poetry as composed by a writer with better paying shit to get to. If not for the upcoming Milligan/Romberger book, the Vertigo Crime line wouldn't be worth another look.
harlequin {Stephanie}
I feel like that was an excuse to show naked breasts for little to no reason through 60% of the book. I like more substance & mystery in a crime thriller... (view spoiler)
D. Ward
Quick and dirty little addition to the Vertigo Crime series. This didn't change my life or anything but if you like a fun, graphic novel read featuring plenty of R-rated content, you can't go wrong with this one.
Nick Jones
The story of a serial killer enacting druidic rituals would've been interesting, but the book actually focuses on a supernatural element that seems out of place in a graphic novel line dedicated to crime fiction.
Meh. Fair-to-middling supernatural tale, but very lackluster, mediocre artwork. Even given the relatively low-level recommendation from the person who loaned me the book, I expected more. Oh well.
The art was great but I thought the story was just ok. Also, I felt that it was too short. Frankly, I expected better, given the generally excellent quality of most of Vertigo's releases.
Joseph O
The first two acts of the story were engrossing enough but I didn't buy the ending. The art was great in this book and hopefully we see more of this artist's work in the future.
It was better than Dark Entries, but not as good as Filthy Rich. I'm hoping the next Vertigo Crime book doesn't have supernatural elements.
An unusual, sexually charged private eye noir story about sacrificed sex partners feeding mortals the ability of immortality.
The comic book equivalent of a b-movie. It's the best book from the new Vertigo Crime line, but that doesn't say much.
Maria Fernandez
eh, it was okay. very graphic tho!!
  • The Bronx Kill
  • A Sickness in the Family
  • Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine
  • Revolver
  • Mixed Blood: A Thriller
  • Six Feet Under and Rising (iZombie #3)
  • Sleeper, Vol. 4: The Long Way Home
  • God Save the Queen
  • Alec: The Years Have Pants
  • Smax
  • Dark Entries

Vertigo Crime (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dark Entries