Start by marking “Three Summers” as Want to Read:
Three Summers

Three Summers

The path of Ruth's life was shaped in one fateful moment when, as a baby, she was tossed clear from a car wreck. Her grandmother raised her, with a fierce hope that she would one day go to university and see every marvellous place in the world.
When Ruth and her best friend Fee finish school, Fee chooses motherhood and marriage. Ruth knows that she must leave town, but that
Published March 12th 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Three Summers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Summers

Rochelle
May 18, 2013 Rochelle rated it really liked it
I found it really hard to rate this novel. I was torn between the brilliant mastery of it and how it made me feel. After reading this book it left me with such a weighted sadness, and I think this is because, as Ursula Dubosarsky says on the blurb, it left me feeling like I had actually lived someone else’s life.

This is the first book I have read by Judith Clarke, and to me it had an almost Catherine Cookson like quality to it. As a huge fan of Catherine Cookson that was a nice surprise.

This is
Celine
Mar 11, 2012 Celine rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
The cover is quite gorgeous. I love how the girl's hair seems to be blown away by the wind and the summer feeling in the cover!

Story:

A story of life, friendship and love...

Three Summers is a book about love, school, life which is mostly set during summer. The book started out quite slow and romance wasn't a main aspect in the book yet it was still enjoyable. Written from Ruth's POV, the book explores Ruth's life from her
Hannah Dixon
Jun 27, 2012 Hannah Dixon rated it really liked it
Ok don't get me wrong, I think Judith Clarke is a fantastic author!
The only few problems I find in this book is the way that the story is constantly flicking between different narrators- I think we go through 8 people in the space of the book and do you never really get a constant feel or understanding of the character.
Secondly, there is no depth to the story- it's only a light read which I'm sure may still attract many readers.
And finally, the ending of the book I can not stand! There is no abs
Mar 06, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
The main thing that annoyed me about this book is how hung up Ruth is on Tam Finn. It just annoyed me so much that such an intelligent character still cared about a boy from years ago
Jessica
Apr 04, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-school
This was a beautifully constructed story with realistic, flawed, and yet entrancing characters in a domestic romance that spans thirty years easily.

The main character, Ruth, struggles with her desire for romance (particularly with the town’s resident charmer and despoiler) and her desire to live her own life. I mean that quite literally: she really, actually struggles to balance these two desires. She is tempted to dismiss her own academic achievements and aspirations in order to be seduced by
Hayley
Apr 08, 2012 Hayley rated it liked it
Shelves: indie, off-track
To be quite honest, this story was very up and down for me, in some moments it was slow and then the next interesting, it was like riding a roller coaster. At the beginning it was really slow and confusing until I continued reading and realized what it had meant. My favourite part in this book would be near the middle where it was about Ruth and Tam, leaving for college and her friendship between Fee and her. I don't see how Ruth actually liked Tam very much, he was a bit of a jerk to me and I c ...more
Kate O'Donnell
Mar 28, 2012 Kate O'Donnell rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't sure what to think, the pacing and story seemed meandery and odd. The writing was beautiful, the characters fascinating. It really feels like the story is told from a grown up looking back, even though Ruth and then Dancey are our (third-person) narrators. It's full of whimsy and sadness. Then I cried at the end. One to go back to for a second read, definitely.
Heather
Jul 01, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
This book is about friendship, young love and choices, but it was a bit up and down for me. There were parts I really enjoyed, but then there were others which I felt were quite irrelevant. The plot was fairly slow, but the writing was touching and the book had a gentle, old-fashioned feel about it. I'm not sure about the appeal of of this book for YA readers.
Shivani
Oct 06, 2012 Shivani rated it really liked it
It's an OK book. This books goes into as much as 30+ years and then to adopting someone who has her first loves eyes.
Like REALLY???
I'd prefer maybe a bit more romance into it than just keep feelings to yourself
mrskg
Oct 28, 2013 mrskg rated it liked it
a great writer although this seems to start well but loses a little in the second half of the book.
Elly
Mar 15, 2012 Elly rated it really liked it
The characters were really good, and easy to connect to, but I didn't really like how it skipped over most of their lives so quickly. Other than that i loved it!
Marg
Jun 07, 2012 Marg rated it really liked it
An interesting read that I think girls would like.
Ki
Apr 23, 2014 Ki rated it liked it
Good, past ideals future dreams and all the while in and out of the minds of people who don't always think the same way. Tainted by past hinted whith future
Sariya
Jun 03, 2013 Sariya rated it it was amazing
Sweet and sad!
Ellen
Aug 23, 2012 Ellen rated it liked it
Quite a peculiar book, enjoyable but slightly left-wing. Would recommend to 'Indie' or slightly more adventurous readers who like books off the beaten track.
Angel
Jun 19, 2012 Angel rated it liked it
I felt sorry for her twin. And I don't think it's wrong to take her twin sister's boyfriend.
Rachel
Nov 18, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
It took me a while to get into this, about half-way through I was loving it. Then it skipped forward about 40 years and lost me, I just didn't feel the connection between the 3 stories.
Pat
Feb 13, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
Outstanding work of fiction looking at three generations, starting in the 1950's. Australian country life and attitudes are brought to life in a vivid and compassionate way.
Beck
Beck rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2015
Kalliste
Kalliste rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Flip
Flip rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2013
Kat17
Kat17 rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2013
Tarlia B
Tarlia B rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Rachael
Rachael rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2012
flawless kitten
flawless kitten rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Johanna
Johanna rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Jessie McCarthy
Jessie McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Judith Clarke was born in Sydney and educated at the University of New South Wales and the Australian National University in Canberra. She has worked as a teacher and librarian, and in Adult Education in Victoria and New South Wales.

A major force in YA fiction both in Australia and internationally, Judith Clarke's novels include the multi-award-winning Wolf on the Fold, as well as Friend of my Hea
More about Judith Clarke...