Harm Reduction

Harm Reduction

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It's 1992 in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and Magic Johnson has just gone public about being HIV+. Out of the news but right at the frontlines, Julio Torres works the streets and the parks, doing everything he can to keep more people from dying. He meets a young hustler named Linley who doesn't stand a chance. But no matter how hopeless, Julio never gives up trying to...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Storm Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Harm Reduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harm Reduction

Lauraadriana
This short was really well written. Almost lyrical at times. Julio and Linley are such promising characters I specially loved Julio. It's so rare to read about an interesting black character in this Genre. I especially loved that he was in inner city Community Health Worker. Very fine introduction to the novel that will follow for these characters. Can't wait to read it.

Serena Yates
What a great story – on many levels – and it’s free! The characters of Julio (who is the narrator) and Linley are fascinating, the plot is extremely romantic (though it doesn’t seem to be at first), and the key message is one of hope that, even though admittedly somewhat unrealistic, is very encouraging, uplifting and just the right thing if you’re looking for a Valentine’s story with a difference.

Julio is into helping people, whether they are drug addicts, prostitutes or homeless. The story loo...more
Vio
3.5 Stars

Way too short! This is a small glimpse at the developing romance between Julio and Linley after a 20 year separation. Not enough togetherness between them only enough to wet your appetite. A lot of potential here I can see an absorbing drama with lots of conflict ahead waiting to see if we get a more involved and detailed story from the authors.
Aija
Just.... took my breath away! So bittersweet and perfectly shaped! One of most gripping short stories I have ever read. :)
Alex
Overall
A free short from Storm Moon Press put out for Valentine's Day, this story is sweet and touching with a pseudo social awareness message that is balanced out by the sweet emotions that Julio continues to have for Linley, despite having not seen him for twenty years. Like most short stories, it left me wanting more (if only to see the characters continue on and where things go), but it also is perfectly self contained. Some bits of information were hinted at but never confirmed, which I fel...more
jules0623
I fell in love with these two authors a long while ago and they continue to amaze me with their intelligent writing, their world building, and the way they create characters with such depth. This is a short story that packs one hell of an emotional punch. It's gritty and a little grim, but with that spark of hope that makes it all worthwhile. Wonderful!
Fangtasia
Such a sweet story, excellent writing, vivid characters and setting, all in one compact package. And free, too!

Highly recommended.
Adara
An excellent short story about lives crossed and how you can make a difference in someone else's life, and sometimes your own.
G.B. Gordon
Great, perfectly authentic voice. And imagery to die for. Makes me hungry for more from these authors.
Blaine
Feb 13, 2012 Blaine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, 2012
Loved the parallels.
Gorgeous story :)
Victoria Zagar
4.5 stars.

Julio is a social worker. In 1992 he meets Linley, a male prostitute and drug user and offers him clean needles and condoms. He expects Linley to die in the rough down-and-out life he's living, but that doesn't stop him from caring for the young man. When Linley disappears Julio believes him to be dead and moves on with his life the best he can. 2012 rolls around. Julio's broken up with his partner and is now the single father of their adopted son. Sitting on a park bench, he suddenly...more
L-D
I enjoyed this free short story. I thought it was a great introduction to the characters and while it left things pretty wide open, I think that also enticed me to read more about these characters. I did hear there was a follow-up book - can't wait!
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5
I so wish I could have seen a bit more of the MC's together! I loved the idea of second chances!
I was just getting into it, warming up to the guys...and then..it was over!
I want to know more!!
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Touching story about hope and second chances. Looking forward to reading more about these newly reunited characters.
Deanna
A compelling little story beautifully written. Julio is an intriguing and sympathetic character. I want to know more about him and his community work. He has a foster son. He remembers Linley, the youth he loved but could not help. A story of hope.
Susinok
Good short story about an unexpected second chance.
Barb Gilmour
What a great little read. Heart warming. Beautiful!
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Tailtiu
3,5*
Chrysa
Chrysa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Gingerjab
Gingerjab marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
BTina
BTina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Storm_Moon_Press: Harm Reduction - Heidi Belleau & Violetta Vane 1 6 Jun 15, 2012 12:26PM
  • The Storyteller
  • Playing Doctor  (Catalyst, #1.5)
  • Night of the Dust Bunnies (Josh of the Damned, #3.5)
  • Night Watch (The Telling, #2)
  • Home Port
  • The Ronin and the Fox
  • In All Your Ways (Love is Always Write)
  • The Way to Will
  • A Little Piece of Heaven
  • Swept Up In Blue
  • Spoils of War
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • The Twelve Days of Randy (Special Delivery, #2.5)
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town NB, Canada. She now lives in the rugged oil-patch frontier of Northern BC with her husband, an Irish ex-pat whose long work hours in the trades leave her plenty of quiet time to write. She has a degree in History from Simon Fraser University with a concentration in British and Irish studies; much of her work centred on popular culture, oral folklore,...more
More about Heidi Belleau...
#First Impressions #Second Chances The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1) Giving an Inch (The Professor's Rule, #1) Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3) An Inch at a Time (The Professor's Rule #2)