Start by marking “Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,573,743 ratings  ·  90,613 reviews
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena live, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge....

11 hrs and 43 mins
Audible Audio, 392 pages
Published August 24th 2010 by Scholastic Audio

Nov 10, 2015 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who prefers to think instead of obsessing over love triangles
Update 11/28/14. So, of course I had to read it again after getting only half of the story from the Mockingjay movie. Unsurprisingly, cried and cried again. My feelings basically remain the same about this installment. Structurally, the novel is quite messy. There is such a big game going on and Katniss' motivations and actions don't always make sense to me. But the ending is brilliant, especially the final chapters.

I need something to cheer me up ASAP.

Let's face it, a series is only as good a

What. the. f***. Words can't begin to express my disappointment. I bought Mockingjay the first day it came out and I was preparing myself for a truly epic novel, one worthy of its predecessors. I loved The Hunger Games; it was fast-paced, thrilling, suspenseful. Catching Fire wasn't as good but it was still enjoyable (I was majorly impressed by the game arena). I wasn't let down by Catching Fire though; I figured it was just a transition novel, build-up to what would undoubtedly
I’m never very good at predicting outcomes. Nothing I could’ve predicted would have been quite as good as this. Although I did get close (a very distant "close") on a few things, and I was right in saying that it wouldn’t be walking through a field of flowers and sunshine.

A book like this just couldn’t be.

It's good, and yet not good. Because it’s good in a very heartbreaking, chilling, haunting, intense way.

Katniss is a different person from the first two books. I found her softer, more thought
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)

Ok, short summary. This is day 3 of my Hunger Games binge after I watched the last movie last Saturday without knowing anything about the books and not having watched any of the movies. First book. Awesome. Second book. Glorious. Third book. FUUUUUUUU *wails out something that sounds like "fuck you, Peeta!!!!!!"*

So now I know what a Mockingjay is (and I can probably eat it), I know who Coin is, I know wh

Well, hmmm. I'm not sure how to react to Mockingjay. I didn't love it and I'm not sure it satisfied me, but it was a disturbing read that will stick with me. Sadly, I can't say that I'll be recommending the series as fervently as I did after reading The Hunger Games. Not that the series isn't good, but I'm not longer sure it's for the masses of YA readers.

Like Catching Fire, Mockingjay took awhile for me to get into. When the pages turned into the triple digits and I wasn't hooked, I go
i NEVER thought i'd ever rate this book below a 5...but here i am....and the only reason i gave it a three even is because the first two books of the hunger games were just SO GOOD they brought this one three stars. honestly, i’ve waited so long for mockingjay to come out. i practically peed my pants on august 24th and now that i’ve finally finished the book (thanks to a full day of obsessive reading-meals not included) all i can feel is…annoyance. annoyance and disappointment. annoyance ...more
Kat Kennedy
This review has spoilers!

What were you doing when you were 16? Checking your boobs each morning to see if the Boob Fairy had paid you a visit? Sneaking out of the house to the park down the street where you and your six friends would share a single can of beer and pretend you're drunk? Making out? Homework? Fighting with your parents? Watching scary movies?

Katniss is sixteen years old and she's been in two Hunger Games, fighting against twenty-odd opponents to the death. Then she becom
How do I begin to convey my disappointment? I suppose it all comes down to expectations and as mine were not met, I feel vastly underwhelmed, and a little bit devastated. When I read HungerGames, I was enthralled. I thought Katniss was intelligent, resourceful, and displayed tremendous strength in character. Moreover, Katniss’s arc appeared to parallel with the overall arc of the story/series. As Katniss grew more bold, so did the remaining characters and the uprising initiative. I expected this ...more
these are the things i have done for this book:

i have given up my birthday, waiting in line from 5 until its midnight release, braving the crowds and noise and commotion...

i have missed my subway stop and ended up taking the crappy way into work...

i have seriously considered calling out of work to sit at home and finish it...

i have read in elevators, while walking down the street, walking up the stairs, while eating dinner without even tasting it...

i have rushed my beloved dawn powell's book, ra
Mike (the Paladin)
Below is my original review. I'm leaving it as it's still essentially how I feel still. I have however decided that the overall story of the book rates a higher rating than I originally gave (you'll see below). The biggest problem for me was that Katniss seemed to grow some throughout the first and the second book, yet slid back and forth/up and down throughout this. I just didn't think it was still Katniss in some ways.

To each of course and I'd say try it yourself and see how you feel/what you
I guess, sometimes our emotional bones need to be re-broken in order to set them right. Maybe this was a common experience for those who read this book, but a lot of its most emotional points were like reading a bizarre dream about the last few years of my own life. I’m not going to go into it because that would be, like, an unacceptable amount of over-share, even for me. That’s just to say that I have no ability to be objective about it. This story: real or not real?

I love Mockingjay like I lov

All Katniss really wants is to not be "a piece in their games". But nobody apparently got the memo. Once again, she is a pawn in somebody's power games. Same shit, different day. Only the Gamemakers have changed.

The above are synonymous in the eyes of the Capitol. Or District 13, for that matter.

Even free from the clutches of the Capitol, Katniss still has a role to play - whether she wants it or not. This time it's Mockingjay, the face of the rebellion she unwittingly helped to bring. But the p
Melissa ♥♫
Period. End of sentence. End of story. Biggest. Cliffhanger. Ever.
Oh. my. gosh.

I CANNOT WAIT!!! August 24... Someone could tell me the world was ending August 23rd and i'd say, no it isn't! Mockingjay isn't out yet, stupid! The world can't end! What about August 25th? Hah! well i'll have red it by then, so im good.

Was it just me or did everyone else frantically flip the pages after finishing Catching Fire? I was like,
NOOOO! That cannot be how she ended it! DANG that wa
Updated! November 25, 2014 New 2nd addendum below the 1st addendum. Further thoughts/explanations as to why I gave this book five stars at the end of the original review. Warning: addendum contains some spoilers.

I've thought long and hard as to how I should review this book. For starters I feel I need to say upfront, this book is not for everyone. Mockingjay is the darkest book of the Hunger Games trilogy, containing excess violence, brutality and ugliness. People die. It would be naive to expe
★ Jess
Nov 08, 2014 ★ Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 'The Hunger Games' and 'Catching Fire'

When I first read 'Mockingjay' I was a silly little fourteen year old, drunk up on the fast paced action and immediate danger Katniss faced in the first two novels. Given her weakness and exclusion from important events, not to mention my almost 12 month wait for its release, I was bitterly disappointed.

Perhaps, reading now, I appreciate Mockingjay more because of my lower expectations. Perhaps it is because I can look at it in a new light. Perhaps its both.
I will not delete my origin
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
2013 edit: Time can do a lot to influence my opinion of books. In some cases, time goes on and I end up appreciating a book more than I did originally, like Ender's Game or The Great Gatsby. But in other cases, time actually diminishes my opinion of certain books.
I'm so sick of all this HG-movie hype. Seriously. Ms. Collins' novels were thought-provoking, but not *that* much. I'm left to wonder if I read the same books as everyone else. Collins' writing style doesn't have that much depth. And I
There is so much I love and despise about this book and my brain is still in a mindfog trying to sort out some of the catastrofuck that just occurred. But first and foremost I must say… hats off to Suzanne Collins for penning an epic finale of courageous and daring proportions!! Wow she really spared no expense in ending The Hunger Games series with a final installment that will leave a lasting impression! Collins is without a doubt FEARLESS.

I am still in complete and absolute shock as I contem
Mohammed Arabey

أهلا بك في نهاية أهم ملحمات الديستوبيا في العصر الحديث

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.”

"هل تأتي ,هل تأتي الي الشجرة
حيث علقوا منها رجلا يقال أنه قتل ثلاثة
أشياء غريبة حدثت هنا ولكن لن يحدث الأغرب
في حال تقابلنا هنا بمنتصف الليل, عند مشنقة الشجرة"

الحبكة التي يراها البعض خطرا علي بعض انظمة الحكم

أحداث ثورية واقعية علي نظام فاسد ديكتاتوري ,يمتص جهد
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 30, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to K.D. by: Mo Twister (Book 1)
Shelves: ya, adventure, dystopian
Her name is Katniss Everdeen. Mockingjay. "Haba ng hair"

"Haba ng hair" literally means long hair. However, in the Philippines, it means that the girl to whom you address this is very fortunate to have many guys falling for her.

That, in this book is Katniss. She has the goodlooking hunter dude, Gale by her side and she enjoys his kisses while doing their hunting (I am not sure how they could still get animals from bomb-striken District 13) in the meadows. Over at the Capitol, is her previous co-t
Jessica (priceiswong)
LOVED this the second time around! Can't believe I used to think this was the worst of the series... I think this was just as good if not better now. There was so much raw emotion and just.. Ah.. I cried along with Katniss while she had to face just sorrow after destruction over and over again. This story is so violent and bleak but I love it. I love that there's still some small rays of hope present. I'm also very content with the way the trilogy ended now (where as the first time I read this t ...more
Bookworm Sean
By now it’s no secret that I fucking hate the The Hunger Games. Instead of doing my usual thing where I attempt to explain why Suzanne Collins’ books are atrocious, I’m going to lay down my reasoning in a set of seven straight forward points.

1. Katniss has the personality of a vegetable

2. Peeta is a needy little baker boy

I’ll never get over how the author can justify his camouflage techniques born as a result from his cake decorating experience……

3. The world is completely unacceptable and u
Be warned. Spoilers abound . As well as Major Ramblings. *salute*

Odd tidbit of information: Recently, I had a teeny, tiny silverfish (I almost typed catfish, which would have made this story much more interesting) that just chilled on my bathroom floor for days, in the same spot. It had to have been at least three or four days.

I know it was alive because it would half heartedly scurry out of the way of much-too-close feet, a stark contrast to the usual lively and feisty personality of the creat

I don't quite know what to say about this book, or what to rate it. Realistic? Perhaps. Engrossing? Yes. Satisfying? Not really.

And with that I must warn you that *spoilers* will follow. I do not know how to discuss my feelings on this book without them.

I close the final chapter in the Hunger Games trilogy feeling depressed. I know it's a dystopian novel, but I still hoped that there would be hope at the end: hope for a better life, hope for freedom, hope for the future generations. And whi
mark monday

Chapter 1
A memorial of sorts. Some final books in trilogies spend time carefully recounting what happened in prior books. Some jump right into the action. Mockingjay has ash and despair and the end of a life our heroine once had. It does not feel like a stirring call to arms; it does not feel like a revolution is about to happen. It feels like the end of things, it feels like death. This is the beginning of the book.

Chapter 2
The brave rebels of District 13. A humorless communist stat
Books2Movies Club: HG 03.3 - Mockingjay - comparisons 4 9 14 hours, 9 min ago
mockingjay part 2 movie 5 22 Nov 26, 2015 06:01PM
♥!The Young Adult...: #MockingjayPart2 Giveaway! 3 19 Nov 26, 2015 12:40AM
Movie!!!!! 30 62 Nov 25, 2015 05:52PM
Coin vs. Snow 4 27 Nov 25, 2015 10:17AM
Peeta and Katniss' Kids Names 66 1574 Nov 24, 2015 10:06PM
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • The Roar (The Roar, #1)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2)
  • Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Faefever (Fever, #3)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)

Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little B
More about Suzanne Collins...

The Hunger Games (3 books)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)

263 trivia questions
102 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.” 9686 likes